As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forming a More Perfect Union

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    My favorite deacon bit would be whenever gay marriage came up he'd take the slippery slope argument down the same road every time.

First saying that if that's ok then why isn't marrying animals ok. To which people would argue that animals couldn't give consent

then he'd go on about how animals don't give consent to be slaughtered either, and he'd get people arguing the morality eating meat instead of anything to do with marriage

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My favorite deacon bit would be whenever gay marriage came up he'd take the slippery slope argument down the same road every time.

First saying that if that's ok then why isn't marrying animals ok. To which people would argue that animals couldn't give consent

then he'd go on about how animals don't give consent to be slaughtered either, and he'd get people arguing the morality eating meat instead of anything to do with marriage

like a master artist, bringing life to a canvas.

only his medium was butt-hurt.

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    sometimes i wonder why these forums never attract any hardcore, real conservatives

reposig.jpg
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »
    i wish we still had randall_flagg for these threads sometimes

just so we had someone seriously reprehensible in here

i mean obviously pip and jasc are hitler but RF was the blurst

All bans revoked for one day.

Invites sent out to all the old crew.

Just one day of shitcockery to end all shitcockery.

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    sometimes i wonder why these forums never attract any hardcore, real conservatives

i can make another account and jump to the other end of the spectrum

i do it to buttlady all the time

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular

Liberals are worse.

jkZziGc.png
    i can't even pretend, satirically, to be a right-wing person because i just find myself genuinely baffled when i try to get into that particular understanding of the world

reposig.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I don't get why they couldn't call Deacon out on being racist just because he claimed he was black?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ahh, Wiggin. Embedded forever in the blogosphere.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/02/15-week/
    Moderation is not heavy-handed, but enforcement still exists. Justice is swift and impersonal. One moderator wrote in the sparse jails and bannings thread, “Wiggin gets a couple of weeks off for continuing to ignore the New Comic Thread rules.”

Maximum on
    i can't even pretend, satirically, to be a right-wing person because i just find myself genuinely baffled when i try to get into that particular understanding of the world

it helps to view it almost as a character

take what you believe, and then say the opposite

don't worry about if what you're saying is consistent with other things you're saying, you can bullshit that later

i have literally done this for multiple days on end to buttlady

i hope your girlfriend has trolled you back with equal effectivness because that is ice cold dogg

reposig.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I don't get why they couldn't call Deacon out on being racist just because he claimed he was black?

generally, liberal white people have a substantial amount of white guilt. they find it uncomfortable to point out racist remarks from someone who is not white because of this.

no she just ignores me

really i'm just aping the inimitable toblerone triangular

the greatest troll in the history of SA

for those of you not familiar with this glorious piece of history, TT was a ron paul supporter. and i don't mean just "ron paul legalize weed woo" i mean full on crazy-ass conspiracy-theorist ron paul lover

went for months saying the absolute craziest fucking shit

you'd start with something reasonable and suddenly the thread is arguing with TT about "purestrain gold" and killing wolf blitzer on live television

at some point he came out and said "yeah i was just fucking with you all" and nobody was mad because it was the most brilliant troll in history

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

generally, liberal white people have a substantial amount of white guilt. they find it uncomfortable to point out racist remarks from someone who is not white because of this.

...and there was absolutely no one of color on these boards to call him out on it?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    That I can mostly agree with Jasconius.

I think the tax rate on the richest individual brackets is way too low (lowest since 1925), but corporate taxes are another clusterfuck that needs dealt with.

In 1925 there were so many deductions available the richest individuals weren't even paying taxes in the end. You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop spitting out talking points and actually spend some time researching taxation and it's history.

List of tax rates by year.

It was meant to be nothing more than a reference point, not a value judgement.

It was a pointless reference as you are comparing rates of two entirely different systems of taxation. The 70-ish% rates of the past were all part of a system that was even more convoluted and considerably less progressive than it is now. That's why it has undergone periods of reform over the last 90 years. Believe it or not we have evolved from 1925. As much as the tax system sucks in this country it used to be far worse.

Where I can read more about this? The stuff I've found so far is rather basic and doesn't get past "X% in year Y and went to Z% in year B"

Not even being snarky (sorry about that), I'd like to learn more.

Ignore Cato's spin and just focus on the numbers: http://www.cato.org/pubs/tbb/tbb-0302-13.pdf

Unfortunately my best source of knowledge on this is from a book called The Mellon and Kennedy Tax Cuts: A Review and Analysis.

The important thing is understanding that though rates decreased during the reforms of the 20s and 60s the tax burden on the rich didn't because raising taxes to ridiculous levels fosters tax avoidance. With the reforms came eliminations of certain deductions creating a system that was much more sensible.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited April 2012

i think you're making a totally legit point using awful terminology

people aren't afraid to do that specifically because of 'white guilt'

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    here this is a relevant quote from God's Own Troll that i like to keep in mind whenever i do my crazy bit
    The best way I found was to take a bunch of unfounded statements like "gold is money" or "America is doomed if Ron Paul doesn't win" or "Ron Paul hat immer recht" and to treat them as if they're logically consistent with each other and unfalsifiably true. Then all you have to do is interpret events in the world in a way that attempts to brings them into line with those assumptions. The original statements don't have to be that extreme but you don't have to do this long before you're having to come up with more and more twisted and paranoid logic to explain why your premises are correct and what's actually taking place in reality is wrong.

To give one example: if it's assumed that the media is biased against Ron Paul and that this bias exists because the NWO overlords who are behind the media fear him so much then as the stories about him get worse and worse that actually means his chances are getting better and better. Since the MSM's role isn't to inform but rather to condition its audience then the stories that run in it aren't about what's true or false but are a reflection of the will of its unseen political masters. Any positive stories about Ron Paul that get run can be dismissed as token and just window dressing to maintain the illusion of impartiality. At the same time anything negative the media says about Ron Paul must automatically be false because of the interest it has in him being defeated. It means that when something like Dr. Paul's line in demented, paranoid newsletters comes to light what's actually happening is he's being subjected to more and more extreme propaganda attacks. And since it wouldn't make sense to be attacking him like this if his chances were declining or staying the same then it must be because "they" know he's on the verge of making that final electoral breakthrough and they're doing everything they can to stop him. And the more elaborate and detailed and comprehensive the evidence against Ron Paul is the more that shows how well he's doing: he's so dangerous to the international finance cabal behind the media that they'd run the risk of forging literally thousands of documents just to try to stop him.

You only have to start by saying traditional polling methods consistently undercount Ron Paul's voters because they don't have landlines to ultimately end up advocating that Wolf Blitzer should have his throat cut on live TV ~pour encourager les autres~. The fun is getting from one to the other and bringing the reader with you.

i don't understand how guilt over your own white privilege would make you unafraid to tell a black person they are being racist.

the whole point is that you acknowledge your privilege and feel shamed by it, so you allow people of minority ethnic background to say/do things you would otherwise object to because you feel guilty about your status.

...and there was absolutely no one of color on these boards to call him out on it?

these boards

man they're pretty white

• SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular

These boards are all white baby.

Or blue, if you're using the ol' stylish script.

or are you saying "white guilt is not a major factor in why people are afraid to do this thing"?

because that sentence reads "white guilt actually makes people less afraid to do this"

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    deacon sounds like my kind of guy

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    These forums are whiter than a protomen concert

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Maximum wrote: »
    Ahh, Wiggin. Embedded forever in the blogosphere.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/02/15-week/
    Moderation is not heavy-handed, but enforcement still exists. Justice is swift and impersonal. One moderator wrote in the sparse jails and bannings thread, “Wiggin gets a couple of weeks off for continuing to ignore the New Comic Thread rules.”
    Whoa! That article was written 3 years ago...

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    Antimatter wrote: »

damn that's white

i don't understand how guilt over your own white privilege would make you unafraid to tell a black person they are being racist.

the whole point is that you acknowledge your privilege and feel shamed by it, so you allow people of minority ethnic background to say/do things you would otherwise object to because you feel guilty about your status.

nobody here is ashamed of being white or inherently having privilege

in general, i suspect people are ashamed that we live in a society that doesn't do anything about it

white guilt is a dumb term because, even when contextually this isn't what you mean, it makes a lot of people think of something retarded which is feeling bad just because you're white and that sounds simplistic and stupid

reposig.jpg
    Buttlord wrote: »

damn that's white

I mean

I enjoy their music

But I'm just saying

the protomen are lame

Which is a good thing to keep in mind when people start ranting about white privilege, juxtaposed against the 'fuck the rich' diatribe.

the protomen are lame

Gimme your face

They make loud, fun music and their shows are theatrical as fuck

The audience participation owns too

LTM wrote: »

Which is a good thing to keep in mind when people start ranting about white privilege, juxtaposed against the 'fuck the rich' diatribe.

wh-what

recognizing white privilege and being angry at the distribution of wealth aren't mutually exclusive

The protomen are awesome

wh-what

recognizing white privilege and being angry at the distribution of wealth aren't mutually exclusive

you're the REAL racist!!

reposig.jpg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    evander wasn't the only one too

pretty much everybody just immediately stopped criticizing him as racist when they thought he was black

which is hilarious because they were all liberals and whoops suddenly scared cow

Definitely. Evander stands out because he was target zero, but Deacon conned so many people. It truly was a masterstroke.

To be fair, he was called out for it being a race baiting gambit on multiple occasions. He just likes to ignore those discussions when he talks about it.

wh-what

You don't see the problem with a predominantly white message board bemoaning the inherent inequality of being born white, then going on to complain about how the rich own everything as being a tad disingenuous?

edited April 2012
    oops nm im stupid

Jasconius on

wh-what

You don't see the problem with a predominantly white message board bemoaning the inherent inequality of being born white, then going on to complain about how the rich own everything as being a tad disingenuous?

what are you trying to say here

that people who benefit from unequal systems shouldn't work to correct them

or....what?

i've never understood this sentiment even a little

reposig.jpg
    we're getting into M.C. Escher levels of who is or is not feeling guilty/angry enough!

wh-what

yeah you're going to need to elaborate on how a white dude can't a) recognize that there inherent benefits to being white while also b) thinking that the distribution of wealth in america is bullshit

That

That is like the same argument.

One is "racial privilege is a thing that exists, as part of that privileged group I need to be aware of that"

And the other is "wealth distribution in the us is highly and disproportionately stratefied, owned mostly by a small percentage of that privileged class"

That's the same line of thinking

This discussion has been closed.