As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Of Yordles, Suppordles and Sort-of-Yordles

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, wish I could help with Tiger, but I never use it. Phoenix is for bauses.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    4/4/2 as Shyvana mid against Ahri and beat her in CS after Kennen demanded and lost top lane against a Leona.

That would have been a fun game if our jungle Yi had not been 0/5/0.

That must have been some kinda singularity of weirdness of a game.

Her damage was low and I had boots five and movespeed quints, so I could push my lane, steal jungle, then come back and repeat. If she ever sent me back, I had TP and 600MS with W.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Unrelated, I am such a huge Nautilus fan and don't really know why I don't see him more. I mostly jungle with him, his initial clear is pretty slow (I need help with wolves and a hard leash on blue with my runes) but once he hits 3 he clears fast enough. His ganks are pretty great, and it's really satisfying just how completely he can lock people down for lengthy periods of time.

I guess he can get counter jungled pretty easily? Just seems oddly under the radar.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    Unrelated, I am such a huge Nautilus fan and don't really know why I don't see him more. I mostly jungle with him, his initial clear is pretty slow (I need help with wolves and a hard leash on blue with my runes) but once he hits 3 he clears fast enough. His ganks are pretty great, and it's really satisfying just how completely he can lock people down for lengthy periods of time.

I guess he can get counter jungled pretty easily? Just seems oddly under the radar.

Him and Sejuani are both underplayed in my opinion. Get boots 5 on them and they can be terrifying, especially if they correctly predict where wards are.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Sejuani just seems to have insanely slow cleartimes, if I could figure out how to get around that I would actually play her.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Sejuani just seems to have insanely slow cleartimes, if I could figure out how to get around that I would actually play her.

an all armor/health/whichever one contributes to her w rune page?

huntresssig.jpg
    Sejuani and Nautilus are the same kind of character: Low damage, high CC, utility tanks. They just don't fit real well in the current meta, where mid -> late game you want to get damage from your jungler and top laner. People prefer to concentrate their utility around their support, and in some interesting comps, around their AP mid.

Not saying it can't/won't be done, but it's not shocking they aren't played a lot. Not only are they tough to fit in the current meta, they are very team dependent. You need a team that doesn't suck and knows how to follow through with your initiates.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited April 2012

Ganks. Lots and lots of ganks. I was terrorized by two different Sejuanis on the weekend that had about 60 farm by 20 minutes, and most of that was from pushing lanes after successful ganks. The Sejuanis just ganked, nothing else, and they were incredibly effective.

One thing they both did was just run straight up the lane. They didn't even bother trying to come around from the side, and they were fast enough to do it.

Sampsen on
    edited April 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Not saying it can't/won't be done, but it's not shocking they aren't played a lot. Not only are they tough to fit in the current meta, they are very team dependent. You need a team that doesn't suck and knows how to follow through with your initiates.

Isn't that true of any tank?

Naut's damage doesn't seem *that* low for a tank. I mean he's not going to kill someone by himself necessarily, but I've taken 1/3-1/2 a squishy's health bar off with one combo in mid-game before.

I don't see how he's any worse in the current meta than, say, Blitzcrank or Alistar for example.

Grundlestiltskin on

Naut's damage doesn't seem *that* low for a tank. I mean he's not going to kill someone by himself necessarily, but I've taken 1/3-1/2 a squishy's health bar off with one combo in mid-game before.

I would call Cho a tank, and with one combo after he has his Rod of Ages, he can pretty much 100-0 a squishy. Or at least very, very close to it.

edited April 2012

But ask yourself this: Why would I want Nautilus instead of Lee Sin or Udyr? Faster initial clear speed, still very passable ganks, great duelists, can finish ganks themselves and late game will add very appreciable damage to team fights. Especially when I can get a lot of my CC utility from a support, which I need to have on my team anyway.

e: As a side note, I really like both Sejuani and Naut, I think they will eventually break in to the meta and new team comps will be built around them being CC monsters...it just hasn't happened yet. Wouldn't hurt if Riot were to release a third and fourth CC heavy utility tank, so it's harder to ban-troll any comp based around having one.

GnomeTank on

But ask yourself this: Why would I want Nautilus instead of Lee Sin or Udyr? Faster initial clear speed, still very passable ganks, great duelists, can finish ganks themselves and late game will add very appreciable damage to team fights. Especially when I can get a lot of my CC utility from a support, which I need to have on my team anyway.

So what you're saying is...support Nautilus?
    :winky:

I end up building all the support items in the jungle, anyway.

edited April 2012

So what you're saying is...support Nautilus?
    :winky:

I end up building all the support items in the jungle, anyway.

Support Naut is actually where I would put him in the current meta. It's not a terrible idea, at all. Same idea as support Blitz, just with some of Blitz's damage replaced by Naut's monster CC.

GnomeTank on
  • CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    Chu8 showed Naut as a strong mid champion. Similar to throwing Galio mid as he can easily counter bursty mages and push minions hard to the turret.

Dancing Bagel
    Cutfang wrote: »
    Chu8 showed Naut as a strong mid champion. Similar to throwing Galio mid as he can easily counter bursty mages and push minions hard to the turret.

I can see this as well. Sion is another one of these.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    AP naut is the only way.

J3qcnBP.png
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    How to build Kass: IE>PD>BT>LW, boots and banshee when you need them. Congratulations, you have one of the best gap closers in the game, a silence and a slow. Go kill something.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Team is worried with me picking Vlad to cover our Top spot.
    Enemy Sion goes 0/5/1 in laning phase and loses tower.
    Relax. I've got this. I've got this with style.

(Also, yay for hard-fought wins against pretty even teams.)

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited April 2012
    Your team was dumb then...Vlad is an amazing top.

GnomeTank on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Your team was dumb then...Vlad is an amazing top.

They were questioning against Sion. He has trouble against him Mid occasionally. But when Vlad has range and bushes to dodge target skills in, the matchup swings way in his favor. You see, Sion actually has to go up to enemies outside of the bush to last hit.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Speaking of Vlad, I need to get much much better at using Sanguine Pool. It's just a skill I haven't quite mastered as much beyond an escape.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i've been watching CLG.eu push in TSM's shit for the past four hours and it never stops being entertaining

TSM is 0-4 right now

one game they surrendered at 14 minutes

i've been watching CLG.eu push in TSM's shit for the past four hours and it never stops being entertaining

TSM is 0-4 right now

one game they surrendered at 14 minutes

The more I see of CLG.eu, the more I realize they are incredibly good. Have they switched servers at all, or is it just on the EU server?

edited April 2012
    I thought TSM wasn't streaming until after IPL? That's what all of their Twitter accounts have been plastered with for two days.

GnomeTank on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Just saw a Karth counter another Karth's ult with his ult.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I thought TSM wasn't streaming until after IPL? That's what all of their Twitter accounts have been plastered with for two days.

they're not streaming, but CLG.eu is

i'm watched wickd

It's taking them more time to integrate Dyrus than I thought it would. Or maybe TRM was never the problem, as many have postulated, and switching him for Dyrus was basically an equal trade and was never going to fix anything.

It's taking them more time to integrate Dyrus than I thought it would. Or maybe TRM was never the problem, as many have postulated, and switching him for Dyrus was basically an equal trade and was never going to fix anything.

ding ding ding ding

top lane hasn't been TSM's problem for a long time

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Support Naut is actually what I mainly ranked with. He's pretty terrifying early, my lane usually always gets first kill unless someone makes a dumb mistake up top/mid and dies or kills. He gets just straight beastly after lvl 7 with his shield, and hook is a great getaway and harass. Not to mention that passive mmmmmm

Prospicience on
    Ugh, I hate when you end up with an utterly incompetent support as a carry and everyone ends up blaming losing bot lane on you.

The worst part is how you end up with all of the ignorant mouthbreathers on your team not knowing how the lane works in general, so anything you say to defend yourself just rolls off like nothing.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    Ugh, I hate when you end up with an utterly incompetent support as a carry and everyone ends up blaming losing bot lane on you.

The worst part is how you end up with all of the ignorant mouthbreathers on your team not knowing how the lane works in general, so anything you say to defend yourself just rolls off like nothing.

I had that happen over the weekend, is was my Ezreal and a Janna vs a Soraka and Teemo. Every single time I went to last hit, Soraka would be in the bushes and hit me with a Q E AA combo. Janna never established brush control or kept it warded. Eventually I just had very little farm and our Jungle Alistar would trip over all the wards and mushrooms on any gank attempt, meaning not a single successful gank. Lost the game, everyone blamed my Ezreal play, because I couldnt carry 1v2 bot on a sustain lane with lots of great CC.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski

I had that happen over the weekend, is was my Ezreal and a Janna vs a Soraka and Teemo. Every single time I went to last hit, Soraka would be in the bushes and hit me with a Q E AA combo. Janna never established brush control or kept it warded. Eventually I just had very little farm and our Jungle Alistar would trip over all the wards and mushrooms on any gank attempt, meaning not a single successful gank. Lost the game, everyone blamed my Ezreal play, because I couldnt carry 1v2 bot on a sustain lane with lots of great CC.

Yeah, my Soraka conceded brush control to a singed-vayne lane immediately. Like, she didn't even try.

and then proceeded not to ward the brush, ever.

huntresssig.jpg

if that happens next time as ezreal, take potshots at her every time she ducks back into the bush

• BamaBama Registered User regular
    the average player understands brush control less than the understand warding, and I'm not sure how to fix it short of giving a mini-lecture each game

• spacebearspacebear Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    AP naut is the only way.

This man is wise - AP Naut can do some serious damage. I also tend to go AP Lulu if there's a top/mid without a gap closer - zone the enemy all day :D

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Bama wrote: »
    the average player understands brush control less than the understand warding, and I'm not sure how to fix it short of giving a mini-lecture each game

It also requires knowing each and every mathcup, which can be hard unless you play a *lot* of support.

spacebear wrote: »
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    AP naut is the only way.

This man is wise - AP Naut can do some serious damage. I also tend to go AP Lulu if there's a top/mid without a gap closer - zone the enemy all day :D

it warms the cockles of my heart to see that there are people who work at riot who love elite gymnastics as much as i do 8->

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Support Naut is actually what I mainly ranked with. He's pretty terrifying early, my lane usually always gets first kill unless someone makes a dumb mistake up top/mid and dies or kills. He gets just straight beastly after lvl 7 with his shield, and hook is a great getaway and harass. Not to mention that passive mmmmmm

A friend of mine runs Support Nautilus...and top nautilus...and Nautilus mid...and jungle.........

Look lets just say he's somewhat obsessed with Nautilus atm. On the plus side Naut seems to work fine in just about any role, his damage is intense if you ignore him and he CC's like a boss.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    There's no more satisfying feeling than accidentally queuing for ranked and winning, especially when as Support Taric I had 200 more gold than the highest farmed person on the entire enemy team.

Taric/Vayne poopin' on Janna/Ezreal all day long, and we had a nicely snowballed Talon too.

Bama wrote: »

it's fairly simple to get across the idea of "sit in the brush next to where your carry is, if you can't, then make sure that brush is warded." But people don't see the value in that because they are silly.

My favourite ones are the ones who are like "if she didn't control the bush, why didn't you buy a ward?" "I'm the ad carry, that's 75g/125g closer to infinity edge and carrying your ass."

huntresssig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.