Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Canada] Politics of the Democratic Friedmanite Republic of the Government of Harper

15960626465100

Posts

  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You're right. There's no reason right of center people mistrust the Liberals and NDP whatsoever. They're all just stupid and we should ignore them because that has been working out so well so far.

    Nova_C on
    My writing blog, By Way of the Aurora Borealis, is now live! -- D&D Diablo 3 clan: Cosa Nostra Pizza
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    You're right. There's no reason right of center people mistrust the Liberals and NDP whatsoever. They're all just stupid and we should ignore them because that has been working out so well so far.

    Oh you poor fucking martyr you.

    And yes, if they "mistrust" the Liberals/NDP and keep voting for the Conservatives despite the policies the they enact, they are fucking stupid.

  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think they're a lost cause anyway. I don't see a point in trying to reconcile with them. They absolutely refuse to open their eyes to a single fact about environmental damage, global warming or the blatant fraud the conservatives are committing. We're stuck waiting for them to die and hoping the younger generation opens their eyes to how stupid and destructive the older generation's policies are. Watching Alberta burn (metaphorically) will help with that.

    There's also an element of vindictiveness in my attitude, I won't deny that. As far as I'm concerned, they have it coming.

    Somehow, formatting keeps getting fucked up with these posts and I keep having to correct them :S

    psyck0 on
    Big Man in training.
    steam_sig.png
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Okay, good to know.

    I guess I can ignore this thread, then, since being from Alberta, I'm just a dumb, ignorant redneck with nothing to offer anyone.

    EDIT: And seeing as I have nothing to offer, I can stop educating myself about Canadian politics, and I can stop promoting tolerance and I can stop working against the continued dominance of conservative politics.

    Nova_C on
    My writing blog, By Way of the Aurora Borealis, is now live! -- D&D Diablo 3 clan: Cosa Nostra Pizza
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Okay, good to know.

    I guess I can ignore this thread, then, since being from Alberta, I'm just a dumb, ignorant redneck with nothing to offer anyone.

    EDIT: And seeing as I have nothing to offer, I can stop educating myself about Canadian politics, and I can stop promoting tolerance and I can stop working against the continued dominance of conservative politics.

    Want some nails for your strawman cross?

    No one has said anything like "you are a a dumb, ignorant redneck with nothing to offer anyone".

    You are just getting all goosey because people have pointed out your province votes for shitty parties constantly and mindlessly.

    shryke on
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm jaded. Alberta is also a shitty province that has contributed nothing but shitty politicians and shitty right-wing policy along with dumbass rednecks to our country as a whole. I'm sorry for the 25-35% of the population that aren't either stupid or greedy, but I'd be quite happy to see the entire place disappear off the face of the map.

    Who did I strawman?

    My writing blog, By Way of the Aurora Borealis, is now live! -- D&D Diablo 3 clan: Cosa Nostra Pizza
  • hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Okay, good to know.

    I guess I can ignore this thread, then, since being from Alberta, I'm just a dumb, ignorant redneck with nothing to offer anyone.

    EDIT: And seeing as I have nothing to offer, I can stop educating myself about Canadian politics, and I can stop promoting tolerance and I can stop working against the continued dominance of conservative politics.

    Want some nails for your strawman cross?

    Might as well hand me some too since you're being an complete prick. Guess my NDP votes never happened, I'm just a stupid conservative shill.

    Virtue flourishes in the most unexpected places.
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Okay, good to know.

    I guess I can ignore this thread, then, since being from Alberta, I'm just a dumb, ignorant redneck with nothing to offer anyone.

    EDIT: And seeing as I have nothing to offer, I can stop educating myself about Canadian politics, and I can stop promoting tolerance and I can stop working against the continued dominance of conservative politics.

    Want some nails for your strawman cross?

    Might as well hand me some too since you're being an complete prick. Guess my NDP votes never happened, I'm just a stupid conservative shill.

    I'm sorry, when did this get said?

    Seriously, what is with the martyr complex? You are making me think this is displaced guilt or something...


    I'm sorry, but voter patterns in Alberta kinda speak for themselves.

  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    That part that you didn't bold, right there in the middle of your quote.

    Big Man in training.
    steam_sig.png
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    Okay, you're right. There's a 25 - 35 percent chance I'm not stupid or greedy.

    So I'll take back the 'dumb' part of my post.

    My writing blog, By Way of the Aurora Borealis, is now live! -- D&D Diablo 3 clan: Cosa Nostra Pizza
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    It's like you people don't understand the idea of statistics.

    Saying 51% of Canadians are female doesn't say anything about you specifically. That's not how statistics work.

  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been saying that for a while now - Conservatives got in, things are worse, now what?

    It's a tough sell to tell people to vote NDP in Alberta considering Alberta is predominantly right of center. And I'm not trying to shift blame away from people who voted Conservative, but the problem is that they see supporters of the Liberals and NDP saying what Psycho is saying and close their ears to the reality. This country NEEDS to stop with the regionalism. That is an integral step to more voter unity. I get really angry when either side calls for the eradication of people who don't conform to their views, and yeah, I blame those people for the current state of Canadian politics.

    But don't those same Albertans make the same complaints about the Bloc? (That is my understanding, anyways, based on how Harper always (or used to anyways) railed against the Bloc.) They fundamentally supported regionalism back when - and I wasn't around back then, but I assume - Ontario wasn't so much voting Liberal for regional purposes but because they were legitimately the largest province in the country. (Quebec, arguably, was voting in regionalistic manners when voting for French-speaking candidates and all?) I mean, not to get all, "They started it," in here, but I don't think the typical Albertan voter gives a shit about regionalism right now, because they're the ones who perceived a need for it in the first place.

    If we're talking about how Albertans can't vote anything but Conservative, because they're right-of-centre and they're aggrieved regionalists 30 years on after the NEP, fuck all y'all, doesn't the same logic apply to progressive Ontarians who are left-of-centre, and are being aggrieved by regionalist Albertan interests providing a strong political and volunteer base for the Conservatives?

    Either we all have free will or none of us do.

    hippofant on
  • CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    People in Alberta have consistently voted for conservative parties, both federally and provincially, for at least 75 years, now. While other provinces may shift left or right on the political spectrum, when the leading conservative party fucks up in Alberta, it's simply replaced with another one. The Social Credit Party ran Alberta for 36 years, and the PCs have run it for 41. Nothing remotely resembling a left-wing government has been elected in Alberta since the UFA in 1930, and they were a centrist party that was beginning to lean right. When the federal Tories became unpalatable, they were replaced by the Reform Party. There's no "The righties have fucked us, let's try the lefties" thing in Alberta, like there is in the rest of the country. It's "These righties have fucked us, let's try these other righties"

    The thing I don't understand is that Albertans seem to feel the need to excuse this behaviour by blaming it on something. Albertans vote for right-wingers because that's what they've always done. It's not because of the NEP or the so-called Eastern parties shitting on the West or anything like that. Those things may exacerbate the situation to some extent, but they're certainly not the cause.

    There's no particular reason to be angry about it, either. A lot of places elect or re-elect shitty politicians simply due to their party affiliation. It happens more on the conservative side simply because we only have one legitimate right-wing party, but at least when a second right-wing party pops up, Albertans are willing to turf the old for the new.

  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Way too many people are conflating the Federal conservatives with the Provincial conservatives of Alberta, and then trying to paint the Provincial Conservative Party of Alberta with Republicans.

    I've had some major gripes with the Provincial Conservatives, like allowing a major coal plant expansion by calling it a remodel/renovation. Or cancelling a Nuclear plant to power the Oilsands due to NIMBY. Giving out refund cheques instead of investing it in renewables or non Oil & Gas industries. Having lower Royalties rates than other developed countries.

    Wanting the Wildrose party to destroy Alberta is like wanting all of Ontario to get their drinking water unfiltered from the shores of the great lakes.

    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Brave Frontier: Adamski (481 077 56)
    Puzzles & Dragons: Adamski@pa (313 842 296)
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa TorontoRegistered User regular
    Is it weird that I like Thomas Mulclair the more I hear him speak? I didn't really pay attention to the NDP leadership race, but the few times I've seen him on power and politics have left a pretty good impression.

    janenext.jpg
  • NODeNODe Registered User
    So, as an Alberta resident trying to become more politically aware, am I throwing my vote away by voting NDP (need to look in to the Alberta Party a bit more)? The Wild Rose coming to power is literally terrifying to me.

    Danielle Smith's current sop to the public is paying all Albertans a dividend if the government ends up with excess cash. She wants to call this...no joke...Alberta Bucks.

  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    NODe wrote: »
    So, as an Alberta resident trying to become more politically aware, am I throwing my vote away by voting NDP (need to look in to the Alberta Party a bit more)? The Wild Rose coming to power is literally terrifying to me.

    Danielle Smith's current sop to the public is paying all Albertans a dividend if the government ends up with excess cash. She wants to call this...no joke...Alberta Bucks.

    I hate the idea of those dividends.

    Yeah, $300 or whatever that everyone is just going to fucking blow away is soooo much better than some kind of productive investment

  • NODeNODe Registered User
    Al_wat wrote: »
    NODe wrote: »
    So, as an Alberta resident trying to become more politically aware, am I throwing my vote away by voting NDP (need to look in to the Alberta Party a bit more)? The Wild Rose coming to power is literally terrifying to me.

    Danielle Smith's current sop to the public is paying all Albertans a dividend if the government ends up with excess cash. She wants to call this...no joke...Alberta Bucks.

    I hate the idea of those dividends.

    Yeah, $300 or whatever that everyone is just going to fucking blow away is soooo much better than some kind of productive investment

    I don't know what you mean. Are you saying that Joe Albertan doesn't know how to spend his money? Are you saying that hard-working Albertans aren't the best possible people to be spending tiny fractions of our budget surplus? You'd probably rather that money be thrown away on wasteful infrastructure and needless social programs wouldn't you? You don't like Alberta very much at all do you?

    Now I feel nauseous.

  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Might as well call it the Alcohol, Tobacco and Gambling stimulus

    Al_wat on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    NODe wrote: »
    So, as an Alberta resident trying to become more politically aware, am I throwing my vote away by voting NDP (need to look in to the Alberta Party a bit more)? The Wild Rose coming to power is literally terrifying to me.

    Danielle Smith's current sop to the public is paying all Albertans a dividend if the government ends up with excess cash. She wants to call this...no joke...Alberta Bucks.

    She also wanted to overturn the closing of the Edmonton City Centre airport, ignoring that we had just held a municipal election and proponents of keeping it open were resoundly defeated. (It was pretty much the defining issue for the city election).

    She seems to be very much like a female Mitt Romney, say or do anything to get attention and get elected.

    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Brave Frontier: Adamski (481 077 56)
    Puzzles & Dragons: Adamski@pa (313 842 296)
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    double post

    Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Brave Frontier: Adamski (481 077 56)
    Puzzles & Dragons: Adamski@pa (313 842 296)
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    not that the city centre airport was a good idea; but its kinda retarded that the actual edmonton airport is so fucking far out of town

  • NODeNODe Registered User
    Al_wat wrote: »
    not that the city centre airport was a good idea; but its kinda retarded that the actual edmonton airport is so fucking far out of town

    The ring road's mitigated that a little. From the perspective of someone that lived in St. Albert anyway.
    Also, just wait a few years and it will BE the downtown ariport.

  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    NODe wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    not that the city centre airport was a good idea; but its kinda retarded that the actual edmonton airport is so fucking far out of town

    The ring road's mitigated that a little. From the perspective of someone that lived in St. Albert anyway.
    Also, just wait a few years and it will BE the downtown ariport.

    I can get from St Albert to Leduc in 40 minutes during rush hour assuming no traffic accidents on the ring road. It would take just as long to get to the City Centre airport from the southside during rush hour. But now because the International Airport is in Nisku, they can greatly expand the airport and there is way more parking available. Not to mention it also free's up a lot of land downtown to be rezoned for student residential, considering how close it is to NAIT and Grant MacEwan.

    EDIT: I also look forward to them completing the LRT line all the way to the airport.

    Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Brave Frontier: Adamski (481 077 56)
    Puzzles & Dragons: Adamski@pa (313 842 296)
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    One of the main reason people vote con. federally in Alberta is that in the last few elections every other party has used the oil sands as a campaign point. More regulation and more federal control. when 60% of the province works in oil & gas or a related industry what the hell do you think they are going to do? It's like someone in the maritime platforming on a anti-fishing platform or in southern ontario being against manufacturing. Look at our Mayor in Calgary. Liberal academic Muslim that most people kind of assume is gay. And you know what? the average Calgarian loves him. Toronto keeps trying to send us Rob ford in exchange.

    I voted con. for a long time but I am just can't anymore. the problem is no other party in my eyes deserves a vote. I find the NDP's socialist platform terrible, the liberals still think they are the opposition and the green's are ridiculous.

    steam_sig.png
    gamertag: Canadianllama
  • Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    This is great, I mean we can just sit back and watch while all of y'all who might stem the tide on what is, essentially, an evil plot on par with a Captain Planet villain's schtick tear each other apart. All the while I can reap the benefits of whiny little "weak sisters" who can't stop their neighbors from being obedient little sheep and angsty little activists wanting to burn the orphanage in order to kill the hostage-taker. We, the evil villains can't lose. Our base is will keep doing whatever we tell them because of whatever we convince them is "scary" and everyone else would rather argue or whine than do something!

    Oh wait, I'm not a villain, damn. I guess I need to go switch teams and join 'em since clearly they are the winning team.

    Oh wait, I'm an American, so I just have to watch MY rich scumbags reap the larger share of the benefits of doing deals with YOUR rich scumbags. Double-awesome.

    Thanatos wrote: »
    Goldman Sachs may as well be named COBRA.
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Disco11 wrote: »
    One of the main reason people vote con. federally in Alberta is that in the last few elections every other party has used the oil sands as a campaign point. More regulation and more federal control. when 60% of the province works in oil & gas or a related industry what the hell do you think they are going to do? It's like someone in the maritime platforming on a anti-fishing platform or in southern ontario being against manufacturing. Look at our Mayor in Calgary. Liberal academic Muslim that most people kind of assume is gay. And you know what? the average Calgarian loves him. Toronto keeps trying to send us Rob ford in exchange.

    I voted con. for a long time but I am just can't anymore. the problem is no other party in my eyes deserves a vote. I find the NDP's socialist platform terrible, the liberals still think they are the opposition and the green's are ridiculous.

    Maybe think of something beyond just their jobs, like the future of the entire fucking planet? That's what I expect them to do. Think slightly more long term than their next fucking paycheque. I mean, I get that they depend entirely on the oil sands for the province's economy (which is entirely their own fucking fault, they've had decades to diversify) and we can't just cut that off at the knees, but they refuse to even CONTEMPLATE anything other than extract every last ounce of oil from the ground, damn the consequence.

    And what the hell is wrong with the NDP, other than being "socialist"? All the data I have ever seen shows convincingly that socialism optimises the wealth and health of the entire population, at the cost of a few less billionaires.

    psyck0 on
    Big Man in training.
    steam_sig.png
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    NODe wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    not that the city centre airport was a good idea; but its kinda retarded that the actual edmonton airport is so fucking far out of town

    The ring road's mitigated that a little. From the perspective of someone that lived in St. Albert anyway.
    Also, just wait a few years and it will BE the downtown ariport.

    Didn't they think that when they built the damn thing? Anyway, Edmonton didn't seem to be growing quite that fast when I was there.

    But seriously, holy fuck that stupid airport is so fucking far from the city.

  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Disco11 wrote: »
    One of the main reason people vote con. federally in Alberta is that in the last few elections every other party has used the oil sands as a campaign point. More regulation and more federal control. when 60% of the province works in oil & gas or a related industry what the hell do you think they are going to do? It's like someone in the maritime platforming on a anti-fishing platform or in southern ontario being against manufacturing. Look at our Mayor in Calgary. Liberal academic Muslim that most people kind of assume is gay. And you know what? the average Calgarian loves him. Toronto keeps trying to send us Rob ford in exchange.

    I voted con. for a long time but I am just can't anymore. the problem is no other party in my eyes deserves a vote. I find the NDP's socialist platform terrible, the liberals still think they are the opposition and the green's are ridiculous.

    Um, what? Fishing is an INCREDIBLY heavily regulated industry. From Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Agriculture and Agri-food Canada, Environment Canada, Health Canada, Transport Canada, and Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada all the way up to the United Nations General Assembly. To say that having Environment Canada, one of many federal ministries involved in regulation of the fishing industry, come in and regulate the oilsands industry is "anti-oilsands" and will irrevocably harm the oilsands industry, when oil is a much more precious resource than fish is anyways, shows a complete disregard for reality.

    hippofant on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    So your saying that a political party that pushed for more regulation of the fishing industry as one of their top 3 priorities once they get elected would go over well in the maritimes then?

    steam_sig.png
    gamertag: Canadianllama
  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Disco11 wrote: »
    So your saying that a political party that pushed for more regulation of the fishing industry as one of their top 3 priorities once they get elected would go over well in the maritimes then?

    I'm saying that I'm okay with a party campaigning on regulating the nuclear energy industry, despite the fact that we have nuclear power plants here, because nuclear power plants are dangerous unlike fish, which are already heavily regulated up to the INTERNATIONAL LEVEL.

    You're comparing oil and fish here.

    Edit: Also, as an Ontarian, totally okay with them regulating the manufacturing industry a bit more so as to prevent workplace hazards, which have been increasing in recent years as unions have lost their power, and idiotic tax breaks for multinationals that then outsource everything.

    hippofant on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Is it weird that I like Thomas Mulclair the more I hear him speak? I didn't really pay attention to the NDP leadership race, but the few times I've seen him on power and politics have left a pretty good impression.

    Ditto. Which makes me think Mulclair probably fertilizes his garden at home with the remains of the underage prostitutes he sacrifices to his favorite demon(s) of the abyss.

    I'm saying every time I get a positive vibe from a Canadian politician, something awful is revealed about them some time later.

  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

    This is hilarious in all of the right ways.
    You're right. There's no reason right of center people mistrust the Liberals and NDP whatsoever. They're all just stupid and we should ignore them because that has been working out so well so far.

    They don't 'distrust' the Liberals or NDP. Most of the rhetoric in Edmonton & Red Deer is, "If the Conservatives lost control, I could lose my job."

    And a lot of the people saying that, huddled in desperation around Suncor's little pet, are probably correct.

    So, a lot of Albertans have made their choice: selfish careers at the expense of the rest of the public & that will ensure Alberta has zero future. That's pretty shitty of them.
    Have you ever lived in the province for a long period of time? Hell, have you even so much as driven through it?

    I have lived in the province my whole life: moved from a rural farming community called Haynes outside of the Nova Joffree Plant to Sylvan Lake to Red Deer to Edmonton to Calgary to Cochrane and then, finally, I managed to get out.

    It is a shit hole, dotted with shitty little towns and two burned-out old cities that aren't safe to walk through at night. It's a frozen wasteland for, what, 8 of 12 months in the year? The entire province is fanatically hydrocarbon friendly - this is the busiest bar in downtown Edmonton (or it was when I was there; Whyte obviously had other venues, but Whyte services the suburbs more than the city core), and SAIT's facilities are all bought & paid for by Suncor & Enbridge. the U of C and SAIT regularly lease-out space for pseudo-scientific bullshit spiels held by Enbridge that try to 'debunk' global warming and a variety of other environmentally detrimental effects of shovelling dead stuff out of the ground to burn.

    There's no diversity, in anything. If you think there's diversity, it's because you've never been outside of Alberta.


    Doesn't mean you were a participant just because you were a resident. I wasn't. But most Albertans most definitely were.

    New foreign policy strategy:

    Obama and Merkel to call Putin a "coward noob" and "lucky bullshit noob only won lane because Ukraine went afk and Crimea fed" in all chat, demand 1v1 at Baron Pit.
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Disco11 wrote: »
    So your saying that a political party that pushed for more regulation of the fishing industry as one of their top 3 priorities once they get elected would go over well in the maritimes then?

    I'm not saying it will go over well. I'm saying the reason it goes over badly is that they are idiots with no ability to think past their own immediate well-being, so fuck 'em.

    And by fuck 'em I mean "describe it in the most positive way and try to educate people to get as many people on board so that the changes will be more successful, but don't let idiots stand in the way of necessary change".

    psyck0 on
    Big Man in training.
    steam_sig.png
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff Registered User regular
    Getting out of Cochrane was one of the best things I've ever done, Ender. Hi5.

    I'm feeling rather unsure about the election in AB right now. I'm not too excited on Wild Rose, but that's only because of this energy dividend program they're proposing. So much wrong with it. Other than that though, I'm not too familiar with any alternatives that even feasibly have a shot of taking the top spot. And I live in Victoria now soooooo while I am still eligible to vote (still technically an AB resident) it's like... eeehhhh.

    But that comes off as horrible voter apathy and I hate that.

    http://strngrinastrngland.tumblr.com/ - My Tumblr / http://twitter.com/#!/dirtylonghair - My Twitter / GT: GreasyKidsStuff
  • hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    One of the main reason people vote con. federally in Alberta is that in the last few elections every other party has used the oil sands as a campaign point. More regulation and more federal control. when 60% of the province works in oil & gas or a related industry what the hell do you think they are going to do? It's like someone in the maritime platforming on a anti-fishing platform or in southern ontario being against manufacturing. Look at our Mayor in Calgary. Liberal academic Muslim that most people kind of assume is gay. And you know what? the average Calgarian loves him. Toronto keeps trying to send us Rob ford in exchange.

    I voted con. for a long time but I am just can't anymore. the problem is no other party in my eyes deserves a vote. I find the NDP's socialist platform terrible, the liberals still think they are the opposition and the green's are ridiculous.

    Maybe think of something beyond just their jobs, like the future of the entire fucking planet? That's what I expect them to do. Think slightly more long term than their next fucking paycheque. I mean, I get that they depend entirely on the oil sands for the province's economy (which is entirely their own fucking fault, they've had decades to diversify) and we can't just cut that off at the knees, but they refuse to even CONTEMPLATE anything other than extract every last ounce of oil from the ground, damn the consequence.

    And what the hell is wrong with the NDP, other than being "socialist"? All the data I have ever seen shows convincingly that socialism optimises the wealth and health of the entire population, at the cost of a few less billionaires.

    So you want people to basically willingly throw away the ability to feed their families because you're smarter than them. That's gonna totally change their mind.

    Virtue flourishes in the most unexpected places.
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    One of the main reason people vote con. federally in Alberta is that in the last few elections every other party has used the oil sands as a campaign point. More regulation and more federal control. when 60% of the province works in oil & gas or a related industry what the hell do you think they are going to do? It's like someone in the maritime platforming on a anti-fishing platform or in southern ontario being against manufacturing. Look at our Mayor in Calgary. Liberal academic Muslim that most people kind of assume is gay. And you know what? the average Calgarian loves him. Toronto keeps trying to send us Rob ford in exchange.

    I voted con. for a long time but I am just can't anymore. the problem is no other party in my eyes deserves a vote. I find the NDP's socialist platform terrible, the liberals still think they are the opposition and the green's are ridiculous.

    Maybe think of something beyond just their jobs, like the future of the entire fucking planet? That's what I expect them to do. Think slightly more long term than their next fucking paycheque. I mean, I get that they depend entirely on the oil sands for the province's economy (which is entirely their own fucking fault, they've had decades to diversify) and we can't just cut that off at the knees, but they refuse to even CONTEMPLATE anything other than extract every last ounce of oil from the ground, damn the consequence.

    And what the hell is wrong with the NDP, other than being "socialist"? All the data I have ever seen shows convincingly that socialism optimises the wealth and health of the entire population, at the cost of a few less billionaires.

    So you want people to basically willingly throw away the ability to feed their families because you're smarter than them. That's gonna totally change their mind.

    Slavery, open air atomic testing, dumping factory run-off into rivers and all sorts of other shit fed alot of people's families too. What's your point again?

  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    hawkbox wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    One of the main reason people vote con. federally in Alberta is that in the last few elections every other party has used the oil sands as a campaign point. More regulation and more federal control. when 60% of the province works in oil & gas or a related industry what the hell do you think they are going to do? It's like someone in the maritime platforming on a anti-fishing platform or in southern ontario being against manufacturing. Look at our Mayor in Calgary. Liberal academic Muslim that most people kind of assume is gay. And you know what? the average Calgarian loves him. Toronto keeps trying to send us Rob ford in exchange.

    I voted con. for a long time but I am just can't anymore. the problem is no other party in my eyes deserves a vote. I find the NDP's socialist platform terrible, the liberals still think they are the opposition and the green's are ridiculous.

    Maybe think of something beyond just their jobs, like the future of the entire fucking planet? That's what I expect them to do. Think slightly more long term than their next fucking paycheque. I mean, I get that they depend entirely on the oil sands for the province's economy (which is entirely their own fucking fault, they've had decades to diversify) and we can't just cut that off at the knees, but they refuse to even CONTEMPLATE anything other than extract every last ounce of oil from the ground, damn the consequence.

    And what the hell is wrong with the NDP, other than being "socialist"? All the data I have ever seen shows convincingly that socialism optimises the wealth and health of the entire population, at the cost of a few less billionaires.

    So you want people to basically willingly throw away the ability to feed their families because you're smarter than them. That's gonna totally change their mind.

    Slavery, open air atomic testing, dumping factory run-off into rivers and all sorts of other shit fed alot of people's families too. What's your point again?

    He doesn't have one.

    It's a load of crap to even claim the average worker in Alberta is 'supporting their family'. More like 'supporting their trophy wife who they will dump for a 20-something fling in 10~ years', assuming they haven't been laid-off and dumped themselves.

    Even in the case of someone in a stable-for-now family, you're 'supporting' them in within an unstable economy. Do you think the oil sands will offer jobs forever? If not, where are your children going to get their jobs? If you're not sure of the answer to question, you're not really supporting them - you're just being a temporary breadwinner to prop-up an illusion of responsibility while guaranteeing that the next generation will grow-up destitute.

    New foreign policy strategy:

    Obama and Merkel to call Putin a "coward noob" and "lucky bullshit noob only won lane because Ukraine went afk and Crimea fed" in all chat, demand 1v1 at Baron Pit.
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    hawkbox wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    One of the main reason people vote con. federally in Alberta is that in the last few elections every other party has used the oil sands as a campaign point. More regulation and more federal control. when 60% of the province works in oil & gas or a related industry what the hell do you think they are going to do? It's like someone in the maritime platforming on a anti-fishing platform or in southern ontario being against manufacturing. Look at our Mayor in Calgary. Liberal academic Muslim that most people kind of assume is gay. And you know what? the average Calgarian loves him. Toronto keeps trying to send us Rob ford in exchange.

    I voted con. for a long time but I am just can't anymore. the problem is no other party in my eyes deserves a vote. I find the NDP's socialist platform terrible, the liberals still think they are the opposition and the green's are ridiculous.

    Maybe think of something beyond just their jobs, like the future of the entire fucking planet? That's what I expect them to do. Think slightly more long term than their next fucking paycheque. I mean, I get that they depend entirely on the oil sands for the province's economy (which is entirely their own fucking fault, they've had decades to diversify) and we can't just cut that off at the knees, but they refuse to even CONTEMPLATE anything other than extract every last ounce of oil from the ground, damn the consequence.

    And what the hell is wrong with the NDP, other than being "socialist"? All the data I have ever seen shows convincingly that socialism optimises the wealth and health of the entire population, at the cost of a few less billionaires.

    So you want people to basically willingly throw away the ability to feed their families because you're smarter than them. That's gonna totally change their mind.

    Slavery, open air atomic testing, dumping factory run-off into rivers and all sorts of other shit fed alot of people's families too. What's your point again?

    He doesn't have one.

    It's a load of crap to even claim the average worker in Alberta is 'supporting their family'. More like 'supporting their trophy wife who they will dump for a 20-something fling in 10~ years', assuming they haven't been laid-off and dumped themselves.

    Even in the case of someone in a stable-for-now family, you're 'supporting' them in within an unstable economy. Do you think the oil sands will offer jobs forever? If not, where are your children going to get their jobs? If you're not sure of the answer to question, you're not really supporting them - you're just being a temporary breadwinner to prop-up an illusion of responsibility while guaranteeing that the next generation will grow-up destitute.

    Was this a joke?

This discussion has been closed.