As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
New Election thread!

Go nuts.

Obama/Biden v. Romney/________ coming to you this November.

Delegate Tracker

Primary Schedule

Atomika on

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Could you change the thread title to be 'Elder Romney'? The man's running for President. Let's use his full title!

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Wouldn't his full title and name be "RomneyBot 5000," with make and model number being important and relevant, since there are other RomneyBots floating around.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Y'know, it'll really depend on his running mate, but if Mittens can play his cards jusssssssst right, he might be able to pull-off a bigger disaster than McCain/Palin.

It'll be tough work, but you gotta aim high.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Y'know, it'll really depend on his running mate, but if Mittens can play his cards jusssssssst right, he might be able to pull-off a bigger disaster than McCain/Palin.

It'll be tough work, but you gotta aim high.

Shoot for the Moon baby. If you miss, at least you'll be among the stars. And have fucked over the Republican party. Which is always a good thing. Or at least has been for the last couple of decades.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    If the Republican party loses this year, Santorum's next up on the table.

Who finally wants this culture war?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I don't know if you can do better then being a republican candidate during a global economic implosion after eight years of bush.

Could have run Jesus last time and it probably would not have helped.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't know if you can do better then being a republican candidate during a global economic implosion after eight years of bush.

Jesus is too liberal to get the Republican Nomination.

DoctorArch wrote: »
    If the Republican party loses this year, Santorum's next up on the table.

Who finally wants this culture war?

My hope is that Mittens takes himself a very frothy running mate.

That would definitely be a bigger campaign disaster than McCain/Palin.

With Love and Courage
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Guys, this isn't a lock. Romney could actually win.
    /shudder

Romney seems determined to gaffe his way into beating McCain.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    /shudder

He'd have to recover both Latinos AND women under 50.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    /shudder

That is the thought that keeps me up at night. At least until the Southern Comfort kicks in.

/shudder

Nope.avi

When you are running in contention at various points with Newt Gingrich, you have not only lost, you have suffered a bone crushing pre-emptive defeat. When you are running in contention at various points with Santorum, you are a joke.

Nobody likes Mitt Romney, and that became abundantly clear during the primaries. He doesn't appeal to the evangelicals, which is a huge blow (some would argue that it's the same blow which felled McCain. Others, of course, point to Palin), and the general populace that doesn't pay attention to the election details (the same people who apathetically elected Bush because 'you could drink a beer with that guy') just doesn't like him. That's a big problem.

This election is the equivalent of Michael Jordan driving to meet Bob Barker for a basketball game. You'd only bet on Barker if you figured Jordon was likely to get into a car accident on his way to the venue.

With Love and Courage
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    /shudder

He'd have to recover both Latinos AND women under 50.

I think if we've learned anything about the modern Republican party, it's that they are very adept at shaping media narratives and convincing people to vote for them even though the party will do everything in their power to destroy the very people that elected them.

steam_sig.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    /shudder

His unfavorables are polling above 50% seven months out

Short of his blood curing cancer and also the act of giving him money/attending his rallies/actually voting for him causes spontaneous orgasms, or Iran actually nukes Israel, he's probably in too deep a hole to recover

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about Romney is that nobody likes him. It's his one positive trait!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I don't think it's so much overestimation of Romney but an underestimation of Obama. A lot of people are pretty jaded about the guy by now. I don't think anybody is thinking Mittens will win, but there's a lot of concern than Obama could lose.

But as Ender points out, you've got a guy that simultaneously alienates the religious base (despite trying to fit in), alienates the super-conservative wing, may or may not alienate the moderate wing, and fails the "drink a beer with" test. This is a guy that Republicans, on the whole, don't trust to uphold their spiritual values, enact their policies, or just be a likable human being. He fails on every front.

It's still possible that fear of Obama will be enough to get the vote out for him, though.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    At least all three of branches of our government will actually be doing stuff when Romney gets elected

Of course all 3 will be doing stuff to fuck us, but hey

The funny thing is, before the primaries, I thought Romney had a pretty good shot because the Democrats were wining and dining hubris so hard.

Then the primary happened.

With Love and Courage
    edited April 2012
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I don't think it's so much overestimation of Romney but an underestimation of Obama. A lot of people are pretty jaded about the guy by now. I don't think anybody is thinking Mittens will win, but there's a lot of concern than Obama could lose.

But as Ender points out, you've got a guy that simultaneously alienates the religious base (despite trying to fit in), alienates the super-conservative wing, may or may not alienate the moderate wing, and fails the "drink a beer with" test. This is a guy that Republicans, on the whole, don't trust to uphold their spiritual values, enact their policies, or just be a likable human being. He fails on every front.

It's still possible that fear of Obama will be enough to get the vote out for him, though.

Look at the map. I cannot find the electoral votes, the way the polls are going (or even with a five point swing; Obama still wins Florida and that's ballgame).

enlightenedbum on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

So he's the Republican version of John Kerry, the one man who could lose to George W. Bush? In addition to being unable to hole an opinion for three hours.

steam_sig.png
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Kind of, but without being a war hero and also way less likeable.

Look at the map. I cannot find the electoral votes, the way the polls are going.

Been a while since I looked at state-by-state matchups of Romney versus Obama. And by "a while" I mean never ever. Because we're like seven months out, so I haven't bothered yet.

I agree, though, that even assuming a (more) solid south this time around he's got a rough path. And that's not even a safe assumption. The only reason I still worry is that a lot can change, number-wise, between now and November and our system operates on swing states. Or, put another way, on a few coin flips that take place in what are largely our craziest backwaters. Sorry, Ohio...an...ites. Sure, he'll have to win several such coin flips, but it could still happen. Now, if come October or so Texas is polling for Obama, then maybe I'll sit back and chillax, and crack some premature victory champagne.

I also know that Romney may have enough trouble holding traditionally red states that he may well wind up on the receiving end of a Mondaling. Or at least something approaching one.

edited April 2012
    Ah, yes, Republican Kerry. That's exactly what he is. And, as should be obviously, I voted for Kerry.

I think for about half the nation Obama is every bit the threat to America as Bush was to most of us here. The difference, of course, is that we were right. But regardless, there's a lot of "zomg we got to get him out or it's all over" out there. And they brought their own Kerry, to go down in flames and prove that no, we'll be just fine after four more years.
    I realize we're not just fine. But the world also mostly didn't end. Mostly.

mcdermott on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Look at the map. I cannot find the electoral votes, the way the polls are going.

Been a while since I looked at state-by-state matchups of Romney versus Obama. And by "a while" I mean never ever. Because we're like seven months out, so I haven't bothered yet.

I agree, though, that even assuming a (more) solid south this time around he's got a rough path. And that's not even a safe assumption. The only reason I still worry is that a lot can change, number-wise, between now and November and our system operates on swing states. Or, put another way, on a few coin flips that take place in what are largely our craziest backwaters. Sorry, Ohio...an...ites. Sure, he'll have to win several such coin flips, but it could still happen. Now, if come October or so Texas is polling for Obama, then maybe I'll sit back and chillax, and crack some premature victory champagne.

I also know that Romney may have enough trouble holding traditionally red states that he may well wind up on the receiving end of a Mondaling. Or at least something approaching one.

Nah, it won't be close to Mondale or McGovern or anything. He'll still pull the entire Dixie south save Florida and North Carolina, as well as large chunks of flyover country. But he'll lose Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and New Mexico, and that's pretty much that unless Jersey or something bizarrely flips Red.

Edit: I think final outcomes look something like this, with Virginia maybe up for grabs.

Salvation122 on
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Well, Kerry didn't get to enjoy war hero status, which was kinda fucked up.

I will say that as unlikable as Kerry was, I could probably stand to choke down a beer with the guy. Romney? Assuming he'd drink a beer, after two he'd probably try to start throwing down ten-thousand dollar and threatening to fire everybody's dads. Hate to say it, but I'd rather drink a beer with Bush than either one. Long as he didn't bring Cheney along.

Hate to say it, but I'd rather drink a beer with Bush than either one. Long as he didn't bring Cheney along.

Or Rove.

Unless I got to punch him in the face as much as I wanted. In which case, I'd be happy to see him tag along.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    The way the Republicans controlled the Kerry message was masterful and ruined him forever.

The guy is nice and can be quite well spoken and down to earth, but the taint they got him with was perfect.

His staff certainly did him few to no favors.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Nor did his wife.

I feel like the Romney campaign is going to make the Kerry campaign look competent in comparison.

Every time I watch the guy try to halfheartedly sing patriotic songs, eat crazy southern food, or adopt some half-assed accent I just...you know what it feels like? It feels like one of the particularly embarrassing segments of The Office. Like, this is what the Michael Scott campaign would look like. I can't even gloat over how bad it is, because it's just so uncomfortable to watch.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I feel like the Romney campaign is going to make the Kerry campaign look competent in comparison.

Every time I watch the guy try to halfheartedly sing patriotic songs, eat crazy southern food, or adopt some half-assed accent I just...you know what it feels like? It feels like one of the particularly embarrassing segments of The Office. Like, this is what the Michael Scott campaign would look like. I can't even gloat over how bad it is, because it's just so uncomfortable to watch.

So it's the UK version of The Office?

The way the Republicans controlled the Kerry message was masterful and ruined him forever.

The guy is nice and can be quite well spoken and down to earth, but the taint they got him with was perfect.

His staff certainly did him few to no favors.

And if I recall correctly, he did very well against W. in the presidential debates.

edited April 2012

Nah, it won't be close to Mondale or McGovern or anything. He'll still pull the entire Dixie south save Florida and North Carolina, as well as large chunks of flyover country. But he'll lose Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and New Mexico, and that's pretty much that unless Jersey or something bizarrely flips Red.

Edit: I think final outcomes look something like this, with Virginia maybe up for grabs.

Virginia's a blowout at the moment. This is the map I expect, while being totally honest. This is the map I hope for.

enlightenedbum on
    shryke wrote: »
    So it's the UK version of The Office?

Huh? Did they make some kind of knockoff of The Office in the UK?

Well, Kerry didn't get to enjoy war hero status, which was kinda fucked up.

I will say that as unlikable as Kerry was, I could probably stand to choke down a beer with the guy. Romney? Assuming he'd drink a beer, after two he'd probably try to start throwing down ten-thousand dollar and threatening to fire everybody's dads. Hate to say it, but I'd rather drink a beer with Bush than either one. Long as he didn't bring Cheney along.

...You would most prefer to have a beer with an alcoholic?

With Love and Courage
    I'm pretty sure Obama will have McDonnell to thank if Virginia goes blue in November. Governor Ultrasound really dropped the ball for both his VP aspirations and a Republican win during the general.

I'm pretty sure Obama will have McDonnell to thank if Virginia goes blue in November. Governor Ultrasound really dropped the ball for both his VP aspirations and a Republican win during the general.

There's a bunch of minority votes there, and that's the margin.

I wouldn't call women "minority votes".

I wouldn't call women "minority votes".

Hispanic/black.

Both solidly Obama voting blocks at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.