As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »
    I said a long time back, the Tea Party is getting the VP slot no matter what. Romney has to do it to keep the Tea Party halfway engaged; the Tea Party candidates wouldn't be interested at all in ticket balance.

So I'd look in that direction.

Additionally, you want someone from Dixie/Texas.

Honestly no one springs to mind.

Well, it can't be anyone Romney's already defeated. The field's already considered weak as it is. So Rick Perry's out of luck, as is Gingrich.

Considering Romney's going to be counted as Massachusetts-based for election purposes, the Northeast is probably out of play (and Massachusetts prohibited by way of Constitution, meaning no Scott Brown)- Christie's out; New Jersey doesn't balance Massachusetts. The state's November prospects tend to not get taken much into account; just where on the map it sits. Cheney was from Wyoming balancing Texas, Lieberman from Connecticut balancing Tennessee, Biden from Delaware balancing Illinois, Palin from Alaska balancing Arizona, Edwards from North Carolina balancing Massachusetts, Jack Kemp from New York balancing Kansas.

Romney is also not going to want to be surprised. Not after Palin. He's going to want to know exactly who it is he's taking with him.

Red meat, not from the northeast, known quantity, hasn't seen action in the race yet. Probably someone to help humanize Romney. Start from there.

Well, yeah, I just meant I couldn't think of anyone offhand.

Tea Party Caucus seems like as good a place as any to start pulling names.

Trimming to Protestants who aren't freshman, are of the Bible Belt, under 70:
    Robert Aderholt, Alabama
    Todd Akin, Missouri
    Rodney Alexander, Louisiana
    Joe Barton, Texas
    Gus Bilirakis, Florida
    Michael C. Burgess, Texas
    Paul Broun, Georgia
    John Carter, Texas
    Bill Cassidy, Louisiana
    Ander Crenshaw, Florida
    John Culberson, Texas
    Trent Franks, Arizona
    Louie Gohmert, Texas
    Lynn Jenkins, Kansas
    Steve King, Iowa
    Kenny Marchant, Texas
    Randy Neugebauer, Texas
    Mike Pence, Indiana
    Ted Poe, Texas
    Tom Price, Georgia
    Phil Roe, Tennessee
    Pete Sessions, Texas
    Lamar Smith, Texas
    Cliff Stearns, Florida
    Lynn Westmoreland, Georgia
    Joe Wilson, South Carolina

Jim DeMint, South Carolina

Trimming to those who don't have widespread negative name recognition but have done the kind of stupid shit the Tea Party loves:
    Todd Akin, Missouri
    Louie Gohmert, Texas
    Lynn Jenkins, Kansas
    Steve King, Iowa
    Randy Neugebauer, Texas
    Mike Pence, Indiana
    Ted Poe, Texas

Jim DeMint, South Carolina

Of those, DeMint is the obvious winner, but I really like Louie Gohmert, Todd Akin, and Lynn Jenkins as possibilities, too. DeMint and Akin are both Presbyterian; Jenkins is a Methodist; Gohmert is a Baptist. Advantage Gohmert, but the guy has Captain Picard hair so he's probably out due to lack of photogenicity.

Looking at governors the only people who jump out are Sam Brownback of Kansas and John Kaisch of Ohio.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I hope that Romney reaches into the succesful past of the Republican party and selects George Bush the Lesser as VP ;) Or Dick Cheney. Can ex-presidents even be VP? It would be excellent if his choice of running mate could also create a constitutional crisis :)

In the case of Bush 1, I'm not entirely sure, but I think he could potentially be vice-president, but in the event of succession, he could only be president for no greater than 4 years.

I don't think that, if something happened and he had to finish Romney's first term in office, he could run for a second term.

The absolute maximum is ten years for anyone. If you take over with less than half a term to go, you get to try for two terms of your own. If you take over with more than half the term to go, it counts as your first term.

Given Bush 41's already done one term, in his case that halfway point would determine whether he got to run again at all.

And as for governors, I would not be totally surprised if Scott Walker and Vic Snyder wormed their way into the conversation at some point. Even though Walker is actively facing recall. Walker might consider it his eject button if he starts figuring he's going to lose. Or, for that matter, his victory lap if he wins.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Isn't it highly unusual for two governors to be the ticket? I don't rightly remember, but it seems like someone looked into it back in 08, and it seems like two-gov tickets just don't win as often.

Could be mistaken.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Walker's not going to survive the recall effort, and a few well-placed campaign ads could easily bring a large contingent of union voters into the Obama camp.

• Options
    Walker's not going to survive the recall effort, and a few well-placed campaign ads could easily bring a large contingent of union voters into the Obama camp.

WI is probably the safest Democratic state outside of California and Hawaii so I'm not sure how this is relevant

But okay

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

WI is probably the safest Democratic state outside of California and Hawaii so I'm not sure how this is relevant

But okay

What's going to be hilarious is when Romney loses his home state in November. Massachusetts is the most solidly Democratic thing ever.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Nah, it won't be close to Mondale or McGovern or anything. He'll still pull the entire Dixie south save Florida and North Carolina, as well as large chunks of flyover country. But he'll lose Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and New Mexico, and that's pretty much that unless Jersey or something bizarrely flips Red.

Edit: I think final outcomes look something like this, with Virginia maybe up for grabs.
    There's no way Obama wins Indiana and loses Virginia, and there's also no way Obama loses either of Maine's districts whether or not he wins.

• Options
    Nah, it won't be close to Mondale or McGovern or anything. He'll still pull the entire Dixie south save Florida and North Carolina, as well as large chunks of flyover country. But he'll lose Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and New Mexico, and that's pretty much that unless Jersey or something bizarrely flips Red.

Edit: I think final outcomes look something like this, with Virginia maybe up for grabs.
    There's no way Obama wins Indiana and loses Virginia, and there's also no way Obama loses either of Maine's districts whether or not he wins.

I apparently remembered the Virginia poll being 60-40 the other way. Whoops!

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Any chances they'd pick Bobby Jindal as VP candidate? Seems like he was a "rising star" in the GOP for a while.

As others have said, I'm already dreading another 7 months or so of election coverage. Almost every day driving home I listen to NPR, and almost every day they interview some "independent" voters at various rallies. Never do you hear someone say "I like Candidate X because of this and that policy, and this and that view." Instead, it's always "Candidate X seems like he understands me. He seems real, he gets me, blah blah".

Arg, maybe I should freeze myself until November.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/us/politics/romney-says-obama-is-hiding-his-true-policy-aims.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto
    Mr. Romney asked on what other issues Mr. Obama would disclose his plans only after re-election.

“He wants us to re-elect him so we can find out what he will do,” Mr. Romney said.

“His intent is on hiding,” he said. “You and I are going to have to do the seeking.”

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Any chances they'd pick Bobby Jindal as VP candidate? Seems like he was a "rising star" in the GOP for a while.

Jindal was a rising star until he gave a disaster of a SotU response. No one has talked about him since.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Kindof like how Gingrich won't tell anyone his secret plan for $2.50/gal gas until after he becomes president.

• Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/us/politics/romney-says-obama-is-hiding-his-true-policy-aims.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto
    Mr. Romney asked on what other issues Mr. Obama would disclose his plans only after re-election.

“He wants us to re-elect him so we can find out what he will do,” Mr. Romney said.

“His intent is on hiding,” he said. “You and I are going to have to do the seeking.”

Crap, we're really playing the "Obama's gonna take our guns in his second term cause we can't vote him out" card, are we Romney?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Once Obama secures his second term, he'll stop blinking and reveal his true form!
    CT.3153.png

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Isn't it highly unusual for two governors to be the ticket? I don't rightly remember, but it seems like someone looked into it back in 08, and it seems like two-gov tickets just don't win as often.

Could be mistaken.
    They tend not to exist in the first part, frankly; apart from 2008, the last times were Governors Dewey of New York and Bricker of Ohio in 1940 and Warren of California in 1944, and both tickets lost. However, Governor Wilson of New Jersey and Marshall of Indiana won in 1912 and 1916. Before that, there was the successful pair of McKinley of Ohio and Roosevelt of New York in 1900, and that seems to be it.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Kind of like how Romney won't reveal budgetary specifics because he says that will be used against him in the general election? :rotate:

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »

Jindal was a rising star until he gave a disaster of a SotU response. No one has talked about him since.
    Also, while Asian Indians are the fastest-growing minority in the US, their numbers are still small, and neither Louisiana nor any state adjacent to it will vote for Obama, so he doesn't bring much to the ticket. Particularly since Mitt needs foreign policy, and Jindal has none.

• Options
    mindspork wrote: »

Crap, we're really playing the "Obama's gonna take our guns in his second term cause we can't vote him out" card, are we Romney?

The best part is that when asked about his budget plan, Romney said "I can't tell you until yet". Projecting!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    _J_ wrote: »
    Could you change the thread title to be 'Elder Romney'? The man's running for President. Let's use his full title!

@_J_

Just catching this one - it'd actually be "Bishop Romney".

• Options
    edited April 2012
    No one is allowed to be called Bishop without a giant hat.

(edit) or facial tattoo

(edit2) also moving diagonally

KalTorak on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Projection is a beautiful thing.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

(edit) or facial tattoo

Romney is actually, was actually I'm not sure if that's a "Once a Bishop always a Bishop" thing, a bishop of the mormon church.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Let's be honest, here: Romney would never choose Thurston Howell as his veep. Thurston Howell may be rich, but he also knows the captain of a charter boat. Romney doesn't know the captain of a charter boat, but he has some great friends who are charter boat company owners.

• Options

(edit) or facial tattoo

But Bishop's the name of the android in Aliens. That fits for Romney even if he seems less human.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I read that as Eldar Romney.

Fucking racist space elf.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey Romney! Do the thing with the money!

Mitt-the-Ripper.jpg

I thought you never missed, Romney.

“Sometimes I was successful and helped create jobs, other times I was not."

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I hope that Romney reaches into the succesful past of the Republican party and selects George Bush the Lesser as VP ;) Or Dick Cheney. Can ex-presidents even be VP? It would be excellent if his choice of running mate could also create a constitutional crisis :)

In the case of Bush 1, I'm not entirely sure, but I think he could potentially be vice-president, but in the event of succession, he could only be president for no greater than 4 years.

I don't think that, if something happened and he had to finish Romney's first term in office, he could run for a second term.

Could he pick Supply Side Jesus as his Vice President? Does your VP have to be real, or can they be a fictional character :) If Romney wins, he promises to slay himself immediately so that Jesus will return and rule the nation.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

(edit) or facial tattoo

Romney is actually, was actually I'm not sure if that's a "Once a Bishop always a Bishop" thing, a bishop of the mormon church.

It is. My father-in-law just finished his 'calling'. He'll be Bishop sporkinlaw for the rest of his days, short of excom.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

Could he pick Supply Side Jesus as his Vice President? Does your VP have to be real, or can they be a fictional character :) If Romney wins, he promises to slay himself immediately so that Jesus will return and rule the nation.

But, like most politicians he promised more than he could deliver.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    So it's the UK version of The Office?

Huh? Did they make some kind of knockoff of The Office in the UK?

The American Office is the spin-off from the U.K. Office.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular

The American Office is the spin-off from the U.K. Office.

:bz

The race hasn't been certifiably over for more that 24 hours and I already hate Mitt Romney more.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options

The American Office is the remake of the U.K. Office, itself a remake of the Japanese version.

Fixed that for you.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

The American Office is the remake of the U.K. Office, itself a remake of the Japanese version.

Fixed that for you.

It kinda has to be a spinoff, actually, since they establish David Brent as a character in ours, too.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Ok, new thread was not funny. I almost had a heart attack that there could be a Republican VP candidate with that damned Gilligan's Island character's name.

His first name is my last name, so that fucker's been following me around since I was like six.

That would be such a horrible reality for me to put up with for the next seven or eight months.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Redacted.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    On MSNBC before they went to ads it was revealed a bill was passed into law that senators/representatives are no longer immune from insider trading.

Obama administration thread?

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    "Coming to take your guns" is little more than a stock scare phrase every Republican nominee throws around regardless of how true it is or the opponent's actual stance or history on gun rights. It's right there with 'one of the most liberal X's in America' and 'will raise your taxes'.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options

Fixed that for you.

It kinda has to be a spinoff, actually, since they establish David Brent as a character in ours, too.

#missed the joke

I'd post the thing I'm referencing, but the Invisible Hand of NBC Universal has removed all trace of it from the universe.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Once Obama secures his second term, he'll stop blinking and reveal his true form!
    CT.3153.png
    Chrono_Trigger__s___Lavos_by_Sooperkreep.jpg

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

This has been a presiding theme over this whole campaign season.

"The first term has been a scam! A charade! All Obama has been doing with his pro-military centrism and business-friendly economic approach is lulling us to sleep! Can't you see?!"

Which, I mean, if that REALLY is Obama's plan . . . bra-vo, sir. Well played.

This discussion has been closed.