As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] PAX East 2012 Costumes

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    PinkRanger wrote: »
    Question for those of you who have travelled with your costumes before...

I have a toy blaster for my power ranger suit. If I put the blaster in my bag that gets checked on the plane... Is that going to be a problem? Should I tell the airline company when I am checking in that it is there?

And also... Will I have a problem getting trough security with my helmet? I want to carry that on the plane with me.

I usually put weapons in my checked bags with a note that says this is a toy prop. As for the helmet, it shouldn't be a problem as least from my experience. They might just ask you to take it out of the bag for inspection.

• stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    JerYnkFan wrote: »
    I usually put weapons in my checked bags with a note that says this is a toy prop.
    My friends and I have done this as well with no problems.

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    It doesn't crack, but it does make it a LOT easier to tell it's fake. I'll have to remember to keep it straight for pictures!!
    I wasn't sure. I remember having that N7 tattoo from the ME3 booth on my wrist and the bending of my wrist caused it to crack and buckle/warp.
    Question for those of you who have travelled with your costumes before...

I have a toy blaster for my power ranger suit. If I put the blaster in my bag that gets checked on the plane... Is that going to be a problem? Should I tell the airline company when I am checking in that it is there?

And also... Will I have a problem getting trough security with my helmet? I want to carry that on the plane with me.
    I have two foam guns, and two frag nades. I'm putting them all in a shoe box and I bought a hardsided suitcase to protect them and my foam assault rifle. I will do the sticky note on the shoebox. But I'm checkin' my bag, so I doubt they will hold me up to inspect it.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    Would having the Gears of War replica Retro Lancer be prohibited? I feel like the obvious answer is yes because it is a "rifle" with a "knife" at the end of it and can be used to bludgeon folks....but just figured I'd ask since a friend of mine wanted to bring his along for his costume.

• aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Even if it's foam or something, the weapons rule isn't only "could bludgeon someone to death," it's "looks like a real weapon at second glance." I think replica guns that look at all realistic would fall under that. Anything obviously cartoonish is fine (I'm bringing Lucca's gun from CT), but I think the Retro Lancer would be pushing it.

aikoe on
    PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    aikoe wrote: »
    Even if it's foam or something, the weapons rule isn't only "could bludgeon someone to death," it's "looks like a real weapon at second glance." I think replica guns that look at all realistic would fall under that. Anything obviously cartoonish is fine (I'm bringing Lucca's gun from CT), but I think the Retro Lancer would be pushing it.

Alright. Thank you for that! It's obviously not a real looking type of gun...at least not yet, but yeah, it CAN look real if you don't know what game it's fun and what not. Thank you again!

• OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    I've seen people with the Replica Lancer at PAX before with no issues. They also were fine with my oak mage staff for the past two years, and I'm pretty sure that could render someone into a pulp if I tried hard enough. Enforcement is honestly kind of spotty, I've found. I'm not encouraging people to break the weapons policy, but I've never ever seen anyone with issues for having official replica weapons.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • LadySnip3rLadySnip3r Registered User regular
    LinkSmash wrote: »
    Would having the Gears of War replica Retro Lancer be prohibited? I feel like the obvious answer is yes because it is a "rifle" with a "knife" at the end of it and can be used to bludgeon folks....but just figured I'd ask since a friend of mine wanted to bring his along for his costume.

I spoke with Tango about this for my Cog cosplay - I'll be taking the blade out of the front and be sure to let a security member know that it cannot fire and has no sharp edges :)

LadySnip3r

• tortured3tortured3 Registered User regular
    Can't wait to see all the costumes this year. I'm actually gonna take some pics this year. I didn't last year. So I may be approaching some of you for pictures.

grym & kvlt
    So, we're doing 10am in the lobby on Friday?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • ScrumpScrump Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    I would recommend shipping anything you have questions about.

• Cosplayer NationCosplayer Nation Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    COSPLAYER NATION: The Documentary is officially coming to PAX East 2012 as PRESS MEDIA, so please contact us if you got a cool cosplay to show off for our youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/CosplayerNationTV

We were at PAX last year, and have returned from Hawaii's Kawaii Kon (convention) - here's an example of our latest piece (IRON MAN):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yHDwwZusNc

Cosplayer Nation on
    Cosplayer Nation: A Nationwide Documentarian project on American Cosplayers

CRUSADE THE NATION: http://www.youtube.com/CosplayerNationTV
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cosplay.nation
    Email: cosplayernation (at) gmail.com
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    Tips for bringing wings, anyone? We dont know if we should check her wings for her costume, or attempt to bring it carry on (And then get tased by the TSA)

• RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Tips for bringing wings, anyone? We dont know if we should check her wings for her costume, or attempt to bring it carry on (And then get tased by the TSA)

Unless they're made of pure metal I'd carry them on. I don't really trust checking anything semi-fragile.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
    Last minute Sunday costume question
    Picture23.jpg
    no hat or hat?
    Picture21.jpgPicture19.jpg

linkbanner.jpg
  • girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular

10 is too late in the morning for some people because they're concerned about missing the Keynote. I'm down for 9:00 if anyone else is.

8BitBek

Future game art lady!
    thedandmom wrote: »
    Last minute Sunday costume question
    Picture23.jpg
    no hat or hat?
    Picture21.jpgPicture19.jpg

No hat

• cowboxcowbox Registered User new member
    I'll be Ezio From assassin's creed. Only, more lady like! ;)

10 is too late in the morning for some people because they're concerned about missing the Keynote. I'm down for 9:00 if anyone else is.
    9 or 9:30 works for me. My friends are wanting to meet between 10-10:30 for our trip to the Sam Adams brewery

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • MissMoogleMissMoogle Registered User regular
    Will we be able to get in the lobby at 9:30? If so, I think 9:30 it shall be! Reply if you are down for the 9:30AM cosplay meetup!

sorry for all the confusion everyone, but thanks for the feedback...its hard to find a time we can all agree on, but this will do for the first day at least!

Xbox: totobomb
    PSN: totobomb

Add me! :)

www.facebook.com/msmooglecosplay
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    9:30 is cool.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • TurnedtoGoldTurnedtoGold PittsburghRegistered User regular
    I'm down for 9:30. @MissMoogle, text me when you get there so I can find you.

I'm down for 9:30. @MissMoogle, text me when you get there so I can find you.

awww sheeeeit you know I will. I was just about to text you and ask if you were FREAKING OUT WITH EXCITEMENT LIKE I AM. XD

I knew I could count you in for this cosplay meetup haha

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Actually the schedule says the exhibition hours start at 10:00 so I don't know if we can get in.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Actually the schedule says the exhibition hours start at 10:00 so I don't know if we can get in.

Perhaps if this is the case when we get there, we can do it right out front! Can't think of a better way to welcome everyone then to have us all looking ridiculous and photo op-ing it up haha! So plan for 9:30AM in the lobby and if all else fails, right by the front entrance? I just looked up the weather and it looks like it'll be in the mid 50's low 60's, so it shouldn't be too cold out!

• PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    Is there going to be a meet up on Saturday as well?

Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
  • xComatosexComatose Burlington, VTRegistered User new member
    Hey guys! I'm going as Arkham Asylum & Arkham City Harley Quinn. I think I should be able to be there for the 9:30 meet-up. I think I'll wear my Arkham Asylum costume for Friday since MissMoogle is doing Arkham City?

Is there going to be a meet up on Saturday as well?

She mentioned earlier that Fri & Sat sounded like a good idea. Plus it seems like we have enough interest in Saturday as well.

• usagifaerie cosplaysusagifaerie cosplays CTRegistered User regular
    COSPLAYER NATION: The Documentary is officially coming to PAX East 2012 as PRESS MEDIA, so please contact us if you got a cool cosplay to show off for our youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/CosplayerNationTV

We were at PAX last year, and have returned from Hawaii's Kawaii Kon (convention) - here's an example of our latest piece (IRON MAN):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yHDwwZusNc[/quote

cosplay nation:I'll be in Xena on Friday and Bloodrayne on Saturday

• usagifaerie cosplaysusagifaerie cosplays CTRegistered User regular
    Also I'll be there at 930 Friday for the meet up as Xena

• guster11guster11 Registered User regular
    I'm good for a 9:30 meet up, I'm going as Sly Cooper friday so I'm in!

• OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    Guys, I've done this every year, 9:30 is a terrible time. The line for the keynote is very long, you WILL miss it if you're not on line by then. I'll miss the meeting if it's then, because there's no way you can do both.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
    Come on Saturday's meetup then. Those of us not going to the keynote can meet on friday, and those going to the keynote can meet on Saturday.
    Sounds like a plan to me.
    :)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • xenoglossyxenoglossy Registered User regular
    What time is the Saturday meetup going to be? 9:30 again? 10:30? Later?

I'm thinking like 10ish or noon.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Come on Saturday's meetup then. Those of us not going to the keynote can meet on friday, and those going to the keynote can meet on Saturday.
    Sounds like a plan to me.
    :)
    I like that idea. Maybe we can start the Friday meet up at 11 instead of 10, then people who are going to the Keynote can come by at 11:30 when it ends?

stardust462 on
  • girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    Yay 9:30! Yay!

8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • theauthormtheauthorm Registered User regular
    Doors open at 8AM to get in line.

• XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    When and where is the cosplay meetup on Saturday? 9:30AM?

• SkrepoSkrepo Registered User regular
    Didn't get the TARDIS finished.
    6902538176_7737cd6655.jpg
    TARDIS by skrepo, on Flickr
    will be going as the 10th Doctor on Sat. with my daughter as a Disney princess(not sure which one yet).