As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shadowrun | This Thread's got Black Ice, Chummer. Find the New One.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm in. I did the same for Wasteland. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Now stop bumping this thread so Wasteland can get more attention.

Wasteland has its money. I'd like to see Shadowrun hit a million.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    I'm not really familiar with the Shadowrun franchise, from what I gather it sounds like Arcanum mashed up with Neuromancer. In any event I'm really excited about any CRPG that's set outside the typical fantasy archtype. I'll have to check on this a bit more, sounds like the newest game doesn't do the series justice. How does the SNES game hold up nowadays?

Meh. If you want a better taste, play the Genesis one.

The Genesis one is more faithful to the Shadowrun license but the SNES one is a better game. Still fun today IMO.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Got a quick question. Will this be turn based like Baldur's Gate or Fallout or something else altogether? If else, please provide an example :)

I don't think anyone knows.

We *do* know it'll be turn-based, as per the Kickstarter page. How exactly that'll work, who knows.

Really the best route for it, since there's a *lot* of things you've gotta watch when doing a run, and time is important.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Aoi wrote: »
    I'm kind of curious. I didn't read many of the old novels, bit I did read that first trilogy of Shadowrun books back in the day (I think the first one was Never Deal With A Dragon). Anyone know if there are any decent recent novels for the series? Always loved that setting.
    Well, if you've already read the Twist/Dodger novels...

I'd highly recommend the very first (and 7th!) book, "Into the Shadows", which is a threaded anthology of short stories (all of them weave into each other, and it's neat when it finally rolls together). "Wolf and Raven" is another collection of short stories about the same main group of characters, and it has a group of "Robin Hood"-type shadowrunners in the Seattle shadows, focusing on a Wolf shapeshifter. The baseball chapter is particularly entertaining, in my opinion. Finally, Tom Dowd usually sucks, but "Burning Bright" is probably one of the best Shadowrun novels ever written, and it deals with a catastrophic event in Shadowrun canon, told through the eyes of a private detective mage.

Some of my personal favorites include "Knight's Pawn", "Nosferatu" and its sequel "Black Madonna", but I recognize that their quality isn't as good as the three novels I previously mentioned.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    This is amazing, it's already doubled in the past few hours and they now have over half their goal.

edited April 2012
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Got a quick question. Will this be turn based like Baldur's Gate or Fallout or something else altogether? If else, please provide an example :)

We *do* know it'll be turn-based, as per the Kickstarter page. How exactly that'll work, who knows.

That's what I said. ;)

Esh on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

That's what I said. ;)

Is to safe to say, with the knowledge of the source material, that it won't be JRPG-esque with two parties standing astride and chipping away at each other?

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012

That's what I said. ;)

Is to safe to say, with the knowledge of the source material, that it won't be JRPG-esque with two parties standing astride and chipping away at each other?

Well, if it's "A graphically rich 2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat" then no. There'll be maneuvering (some sort of grid based most likely) and cover of some sort.

Esh on
  • dilettantegamerdilettantegamer The Dilettante Gamer Registered User regular
    This sounds really cool. I played the tabletop game for a long time, but I can't remember which edition, so I guess I'm not loyal to any in particular - as long as they get the flavor of the world and more importantly the gameplay right it should be an interesting project. Assuming it gets made...

Nocren wrote: »
    So tell me about the P&P game since 2nd edition. I haven't been keeping up.

Let's see... Deus (the Renraku Arcology's AI) went rouge, killed a bunch of people, got free and crashed the Matrix a second time during Novatech's IPO thanks to Winternight. (Fuchi's successor corp. Fuchi got ripped apart and part of it became Novatech. So when a megacorp does an IPO, yeah it was a bit of a big deal. Winternight you might remember from the Threats sourcebook.)

Thus the Matrix is now wireless. Pocket secretaries can now be decks, everything is now wireless with Augmented Reality (essentially turn hacker (not deckers) into cyber mages). Cap Chaos is dead (as was most of the Shadownet) but Fastjack is now running the show.

Dunkelzhan is still dead but his "brother" Ghostwalker came back and took over Denver (like literally kicked out Aztechnology and told the rest "I own this city, obey my laws and we're cool.")

There's also been a few shake-ups here and there. Aztechnology renamed themselves (too much bad blood under the old name). Yamatetsu renamed themselves as well and moved out of Japan to Vladivostok and they have a Free Spirit on their Board of Directors. AIs are more open about themselves now and there's more then just the original 3 (Deus, Megara and the military one that helped Echo Mirage).

Oh yeah, Haley's Comet... that threw a wrench into things...

How about the mechanics and level of support for 3rd and 4th?

Though I suppose I should be asking this stuff in Crit. Failures, really.
    Mechanics in 3rd edition are basically a refined version of 2nd edition, and not much changed. They unified Bioware so it wasn't a bloody mess, unified the Magic mechanics so they weren't so complicated, and made the Matrix more playable than doing a mini-dungeon crawl just for the decker (the ACIFS system, though it requires preparation, was MUCH faster in execution). They ditched the skill tree (a good idea) for an easier to use defaulting mechanic. They also split up Firearms into separate skills, which made it more balanced. 3rd is no longer supported, but it has the most sourcebooks, I think, and it's not hard to find them for the most part.

4th edition is essentially new World of Darkness with d6 instead of d10. There is a static target number (5, always 5), the Rule of Six is relegated to specific rolls, Karma was renamed into Edge (and made into a special Attribute rather than a continually growing pool), Good Karma was renamed into Karma. Pools are now Attribute + Skill (so Attributes mean a LOT more), rather than just skill alone. Magic works almost identically, except now you can simply create your own tradition right off the bat (they assumed that the Universal Magic Theorists won out in the time between 2065 and 2070). They simultaneously broke and remade the Matrix, and everything is now wireless (to bring it closer to technology that would exist today). The funny thing is that in 3rd edition, the Matrix rules sucked unless you bought Virtual Realities 2.0, but in 4th edition, buying the Matrix sourcebook essentially takes a working Matrix system and breaks it, making it suck if you actually use those rules. ACIFS was easier to run (but assumes an underlying technology that is out-of-date even by the year 2000), but it's easier to "fake" hacking rolls in the new system once you get the hang of it (just pick a Device Rating and go, which plays faster when GMing on the fly).

If you have more specific questions, I've been playing Shadowrun for over 20 years, in all 4 editions. I have nearly every single Shadowrun Sourcebook known to man (I even have a copy of DMZ back somewhere at my parent's house).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

That's what I said. ;)

Well, if it's "A graphically rich 2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat" then no. There'll be maneuvering (some sort of grid based most likely) and cover of some sort.

It might be like something out of X-Com. Tactical turn-based can mean anything.

rayofash on
    edited April 2012
    rayofash wrote: »

That's what I said. ;)

It might be like something out of X-Com. Tactical turn-based can mean anything.

I know. That's why I said I don't think anyone really knows. But it's definitely not going to be Final Fantasy'esque.

Esh on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm in. I did the same for Wasteland. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Now stop bumping this thread so Wasteland can get more attention.

Wasteland has its money. I'd like to see Shadowrun hit a million.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly looking forward to the IP that was the inspiration for Fallout.

However, we've got at least 4 good to great Fallout games with hundreds of hours of playtime. I would kill a puppy to get an awesome new Shadowrun game, especially if it turns out to be as mission-customizable as this one is supposed to be. Playing something like Shadowrun is only half the fun; you only get the other half when you actually get to make your own missions.

Shadowrun plus a strategy-oriented turn-based system is way beyond anything I would've hoped to get for the Shadowrun franchise anytime soon.

From their kickstarter description, it sounds like they are going with a class-based system, which is quite concerning. Shadowrun itself has archetypes, but no strict classes (other than the choice to be a Mage... you either have the talent or you don't). Strict classes are almost an antithesis of Shadowrun character creation. You can have magical ability, then flush it down the toilet by polluting your body full of cyberware. You can start out as a razorboy, but hone your hacking abilities so that you can better use the Matrix. It sounds to me that they are going with discrete classes, which also sounds like they aren't going to be mechanically faithful to the Shadowrun PnP game. It could also be that they are developing specific NPC personalities with specific archetypes in mind (like, you don't have a "generic Ranger" in Baldur's Gate, you have Minsc), and you'd hire these individuals for various jobs.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    From their kickstarter description, it sounds like they are going with a class-based system, which is quite concerning. Shadowrun itself has archetypes, but no strict classes (other than the choice to be a Mage... you either have the talent or you don't). Strict classes are almost an antithesis of Shadowrun character creation.

I have a feeling they're going to do a "class" based system so they can appeal to the masses and make it more accessible.

I wonder if they're gonna put adepts in...

Probably not.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Wasteland and fallout are two pretty different things. we dont really have anything that scratches the same itch as Wasteland. I can just play Cyberlord Arcology or EYE if I want something Shadowrun-ish.

That isnt to say I wouldn't strangle several dozen kittens for this game, because I would. Man I would.

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I dunno, I don't think that's something that can definitely be gleaned from what's on the Kickstarter page. The four "classes" they have listed seem to be there purely to illustrate the different ways a character can percieve the environment, not so much a description of intended skill architecture.

Wasteland and fallout are two pretty different things. we dont really have anything that scratches the same itch as Wasteland. I can just play Cyberlord Arcology or EYE if I want something Shadowrun-ish.

They're not that different at all. That coming from someone who actually bought Fountain of Dreams back in the day. I mean, Wasteland and FoD had your basic Interplay (Bard's Tale, Dragon Wars, etc...) combat style, but beyond that they're not that much different in terms of approach.

edited April 2012
    I dunno, I don't think that's something that can definitely be gleaned from what's on the Kickstarter page. The four "classes" they have listed seem to be there purely to illustrate the different ways a character can percieve the environment, not so much a description of intended skill architecture.
    That's what I'm hoping for. The problem with these Kickstarters is that they sell dreams to people with money to fund them. There's no way of telling whether or not the dreams will become a reality.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

They're not that different at all. That coming from someone who actually bought Fountain of Dreams back in the day. I mean, Wasteland and FoD had your basic Interplay (Bard's Tale, Dragon Wars, etc...) combat style, but beyond that they're not that much different in terms of approach.

I mean yeah, aside from the completely different dynamic of team vs solo, the fact that wasteland actually had a dynamic system of cause/effect, and Wasteland was far more about survival while Fallout was generally just going from A to B as your Godmode hero.

Totally the same.

steam_sig.png
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I donated $15, sounds like something I might enjoy.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    Aoi wrote: »
    I'm kind of curious. I didn't read many of the old novels, bit I did read that first trilogy of Shadowrun books back in the day (I think the first one was Never Deal With A Dragon). Anyone know if there are any decent recent novels for the series? Always loved that setting.
    Well, if you've already read the Twist/Dodger novels...

I'd highly recommend the very first (and 7th!) book, "Into the Shadows", which is a threaded anthology of short stories (all of them weave into each other, and it's neat when it finally rolls together). "Wolf and Raven" is another collection of short stories about the same main group of characters, and it has a group of "Robin Hood"-type shadowrunners in the Seattle shadows, focusing on a Wolf shapeshifter. The baseball chapter is particularly entertaining, in my opinion. Finally, Tom Dowd usually sucks, but "Burning Bright" is probably one of the best Shadowrun novels ever written, and it deals with a catastrophic event in Shadowrun canon, told through the eyes of a private detective mage.

Some of my personal favorites include "Knight's Pawn", "Nosferatu" and its sequel "Black Madonna", but I recognize that their quality isn't as good as the three novels I previously mentioned.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to hunt 'em down.

• ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    Now all we need is an "Arcanum 2" kickstarter.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012

I mean yeah, aside from the completely different dynamic of team vs solo, the fact that wasteland actually had a dynamic system of cause/effect, and Wasteland was far more about survival while Fallout was generally just going from A to B as your Godmode hero.

Totally the same.

Because the two games you just mentioned are exactly like playing Shadowrun?

I meant in a post-apocalyptic overarching sense. You mentioned scratching a cyberpunk itch, I mentioned scratching a post-apoc itch.

Esh on
    That's what I'm hoping for. The problem with these Kickstarters is that they sell dreams to people with money to fund them. There's no way of telling whether or not the dreams will become a reality.

Yeah, I'm getting ahead of things and deciding to be cynical right now. I'd rather be amazed and surprised by the results of all these Kickstarters than disappointed when none of them match up to expectations.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

"Homocide"?

I can only hope that was a typo, and not deliberate.

wVEsyIc.png

"Homocide"?

I can only hope that was a typo, and not deliberate.

I hope entirely the opposite.

• DockenDocken Registered User regular
    65 down on this.

Really hoping this Kickstarter thing slows up a bit, otherwise I will be bankrupt before the year is out.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Someone should totally use the level creator to make a campaign where you're playing a DocWagon extraction team.

There's going to be a bunch of runs designed already, just take them and turn them around. Make the runner team NPC's you've gotta save...

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    If you have more specific questions, I've been playing Shadowrun for over 20 years, in all 4 editions. I have nearly every single Shadowrun Sourcebook known to man (I even have a copy of DMZ back somewhere at my parent's house).

Would the 20th Anniversary Edition be a good place to start if I want to indulge in some nostalgia?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    There should be a $100k pledge level where they offer to bail you out of jail and pay your lawyer fees after you take a shit on MS's front lawn for fucking up FASA in the first place.

[edit] I just watched the pitch video and they have a ritual stoning of MS for making the FPS. I can't say I disapprove even if I have heard that the game wasn't bad for what it was.

Actually, it wasn't ritual. The guy they threw things at was the actual exec who worked on the FPS. Which, now that he's properly under the thumb of the original creator of the material, is going to contribute to the 2D Shadowrun game

edited April 2012
    So tell me about the P&P game since 2nd edition. I haven't been keeping up.
    Lots.
    Here's a timeline the Dumpshock forums kept and merged into a wikia format
    http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline#A_New_World_Order_.282031-2040.29

Though, since it'll be happening in 2050, it'll be a prequel to a lot of stuff.
    Universal Brotherhood hasn't happened yet.
    Dunkle isn't in the White House!

The comet hasn't come back and turned everyone into mutagenic hipsters!!!!
    Someone should totally use the level creator to make a campaign where you're playing a DocWagon extraction team.

There's going to be a bunch of runs designed already, just take them and turn them around. Make the runner team NPC's you've gotta save...
    Better idea we've used before.
    You have to extract a new piece of wetware from a high profile target.

The guy you have to take out....

has platinum Doc Wagon contract

Dedwrekka on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Hmm. One of the listed classes isn't Adept. Don't think I can support a Shadowrun without magic gunslingers.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Hmmm.

Give it more time yet. It's too soon.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    You know, I bought a shadowrun rulebook like 5-8 years ago, and I really wanted to play it, but I never got a group who wanted to, its a shame really, all I have is warhammer tabletop :(

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited April 2012
    I will say this, one thing bugs me about the system they're trying for. It's a class system. That just isn't Shadowrun.
    I already tossed my money into the project, but I would love for them to do a classless system based on the advantage/disadvantage system or point based trait buying of 3rd and 4th ed.

Also, now I have to figure what kind of NPC I want to suggest for my picture. :3

Hmmm.

You'd have to pull the main Troika guys back together to make it happen. You got one guy at Obsidian, one guy working on Diablo 3, and one guy at inexile working on Wasteland 2.
    Though I think a pad port would be great as well. The original just needed a little polish, it was already damn near perfect. Not least because they were hugely ahead of the curve, using mechanics and systems we wouldn't see again until very recently in an OWRPG.

Dedwrekka on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Hmmm.

You'd have to pull the Troika guys back together to make it happen. Though I think a pad port would be great as well. The original just needed a little polish, it was already damn near perfect. Not least because they were hugely ahead of the curve, using mechanics and systems we wouldn't see again until very recently in an OWRPG

Damn near perfect?

Unique opinion. Heard it called a classic once or twice, but always a flawed one. Interface is actively hostile to all life. Game is "balanced" in the same way the Taj Mahal is "edible". Graphics that get people talking about "narrative flexibility" in a hurry. Bugs that make "THEM!" look like a nice place for a picnic.

Sentences like “This game sucks. You seem to know a lot about it- did the guy who designed the interface actually have, you know, hands? Was he a human being?" have been thrown about.

Not saying it's bad. Heard a lot of reasonable people say if you can get over the flaws it's amazing.

But damn near perfect is a set of words you reserve for Casablanca.

• ArthArth Registered User regular
    Oh god. I want this game so badly. I'm going to read my copy of Shadowboxer in celebration. Also, possibly get around to buying the Runner's Toolkit so I can run a 4th edition game with my gaming group with quicker character generation.

Artheleron.png
    edited April 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Hmmm.

You'd have to pull the Troika guys back together to make it happen. Though I think a pad port would be great as well. The original just needed a little polish, it was already damn near perfect. Not least because they were hugely ahead of the curve, using mechanics and systems we wouldn't see again until very recently in an OWRPG

Damn near perfect?

Unique opinion. Heard it called a classic once or twice, but always a flawed one. Interface is actively hostile to all life. Game is "balanced" in the same way the Taj Mahal is "edible". Graphics that get people talking about "narrative flexibility" in a hurry. Bugs that make "THEM!" look like a nice place for a picnic.

Sentences like “This game sucks. You seem to know a lot about it- did the guy who designed the interface actually have, you know, hands? Was he a human being?" have been thrown about.

Not saying it's bad. Heard a lot of reasonable people say if you can get over the flaws it's amazing.

But damn near perfect is a set of words you reserve for Casablanca.

The player made patch for it fixed the vast majority of the bugs, and I never had an issue with the graphics or interface, which were pretty normal for the time though nothing amazing. So, yeah, my opinion is a little polish on an already amazing game and it would stand up against the games with many times it's budget, even today. I didn't even get into the game until well after Troika folded and even with the RPGs that have come out, I still rate Arcanum near the top of the list due to openness of gameplay, character creation and narrative.

For example, the ability in Arcanum to finish out any given quest in a number of ways is something that, seemingly, was only really recently rediscovered. If someone tells you to get a device you could sneak in and steal it, bribe the person, fight them, possibly kill them, or lie/cheat/cajole them into giving it to you. There's a lot of open options to how you approach something, much like were in Deus Ex, that seemed to skip a generation of games only to finally be picked back up be devs that don't quite understand how to implement it.
    If that kind of openness made it into the shadowrun game, I would be one happy chummer

To me, Arcanum is the Casablanca of games. But this is just my opinion, I didn't think I had to even state that.

Dedwrekka on
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Loved SR as a concept for a tabletop game, hated it as a tabletop game, always felt like players were tearing the game away from each other instead of working together. The style of the games I played in ended up as 'one specialist per problem' so it basically became a night where everyone gets a 1 hour turn unless you're hacking then you get half of the session dedicated to your shenanigans

I'm impressed at the progress and will pledge enough to get a copy because I love the world so damn much