As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League 2012: Rivals!

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    So guess who doesn't have a working team outside of my adventuring one? Me! I'll likely try and trade over my shuckle to white and use them again. I can't wait to see all of you again this year, though! I probably won't be cosplaying because I didn't end up finishing my costume, but if you spot a girl with teal hair, that's probably me.

I have a something for you!

• ZombiewskiZombiewski New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Xerlith wrote: »
    Unfortunately, mine is...beefy. I made it for a floor RBY tournament last year, and they're all lv. 100. What level are your guys?

Whaddya know? I have 6 lvl. 100 'mons all ready to go. I can't promise they'll be good competition, but I'll see what can be done to shore 'em up before the weekend.

Soul Silver FC: 0045 5822 7430, White FC: 0175 2366 9720, White 2 FC: 1636 2031 2006
    My NES blog and my Pokemon Snap tumblr.
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Zombiewski wrote: »
    Unfortunately, mine is...beefy. I made it for a floor RBY tournament last year, and they're all lv. 100. What level are your guys?

Whaddya know? I have 6 lvl. 100 'mons all ready to go. I can't promise they'll be good competition, but I'll see what can be done to shore 'em up before the weekend.

Feed them Rare candies. Doesn't matter that they're already 100. More candies. Then feed them all to Missingo. Mix them up, plug the cable in. INSTANT WIN.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote: »
    I'm working on my Gen V team and it should be ready in time, but that's not what we're here to talk about. We're here to talk about Gen I. Specifically, the fact that many of you have had Red, Blue, or Yellow since 1998 (when did I get this old), and therefore have respectable teams available for battling. Via Link Cable. At PAX. Thoughts?

That would be... SO COOL. Though I probably won't have my old gameboy and Pokemon Red (I don't even know where it is... I'm sure I have it somewhere) if there's any place you'll find someone ready to Link Cable battle, it'd be at PAX.

Keep looking for it; this needs to happen. And I actually carried my GBC and Link Cable around in my pocket (the one that didn't have a DS in it) last year, but I never found anyone to battle (maybe because I was busy looking for people in green scarves).

You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Finally finished training up my team, and just in time! I actually didn't know this was a thing and was just training for line battles, but now I'm totally going after this!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't have to actually DO anything to participate, right? Anyone can challenge a gym leader?

Skullo wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't have to actually DO anything to participate, right? Anyone can challenge a gym leader?

No need to register, if that's what you mean. Anyone can challenge the leaders anytime they are on duty (aka wearing their scarf) as long as your team follows our rules. Check them out on our site!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Quick and hopefully easy question. Is there a guide on where to find the rare candies in black/white or is there an easy place to get a few extras? As I've still managed to keep our PAX attendance a secret from the boy (after one very close call when I caught myself mid-word) he's not going to have much time to assemble his team.

I'm going to put the list of banned/limited use Pokemon in the car for the drive down but figured it would be cool if during the evenings I stole his cartridge and built up some candies in case he has a few pokes he wants leveled up a bit.

The most reliable way to get them is from the battle subway, but for 48 BP a pop that can be time consuming. Here are ones you can find in travel:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_are_rare_candies_in_Pokemon_Black_and_White

Keep looking for it; this needs to happen. And I actually carried my GBC and Link Cable around in my pocket (the one that didn't have a DS in it) last year, but I never found anyone to battle (maybe because I was busy looking for people in green scarves).

Ha, me too. But I never saw anyone with a GBC out so I assumed I was the only one. This year I'm thinking of wearing a sign. "Gen 1 battles here!"

Soul Silver FC: 0045 5822 7430, White FC: 0175 2366 9720, White 2 FC: 1636 2031 2006
    Quick and hopefully easy question. Is there a guide on where to find the rare candies in black/white or is there an easy place to get a few extras? As I've still managed to keep our PAX attendance a secret from the boy (after one very close call when I caught myself mid-word) he's not going to have much time to assemble his team.

I'm going to put the list of banned/limited use Pokemon in the car for the drive down but figured it would be cool if during the evenings I stole his cartridge and built up some candies in case he has a few pokes he wants leveled up a bit.

If you can get on Wifi, I'll take some of his team and power level them for you (legally! I just run through the elite 4 with a lvl 100 event Mewtwo), and I can get them back to relatively quickly. It's not serious training, but I doubt your kid is min/maxing his mons.

If he is, then I should probably rethink my approach to pokemon, haha.

cocowoushi wrote: »
    Skullo wrote: »

No need to register, if that's what you mean. Anyone can challenge the leaders anytime they are on duty (aka wearing their scarf) as long as your team follows our rules. Check them out on our site!

Awesome! Yeah, I poked around on your site, but I just wanted to be extra careful. This is such a cool thing that y'all put together, I'm so pumped!

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular

As has been noted, for wireless games, Pokemon are automatically leveled up/down to 50, so the only reason to level is to evolve or learn new moves. So I wouldn't knock yourself out trying to get the candies or anything.

edited April 2012
    Yeah - I'm more worried he'll want to evolve or train new moves. I have a night tonight where I can go through his game and see what he has. I'm mostly concerned that Pokemon that have leveled up and learned moves might be banned ones given (like all kids) he loves them legendaries :)

Skullo - thanks for the offer - I think he has that Mewtwo as well, maybe I'll run through the Elites a few times for him.

Lindsay Lohan on
    Yeah - I'm more worried he'll want to evolve or train new moves. I have a night tonight where I can go through his game and see what he has. I'm mostly concerned that Pokemon that have leveled up and learned moves might be banned ones given (like all kids) he loves them legendaries :)

Skullo - thanks for the offer - I think he has that Mewtwo as well, maybe I'll run through the Elites a few times for him.

Hey, no worries! Yeah, the event Mewtwo can beast through the Elite Four. Slap an Amulet Coin/Lucky Egg (depending on what you want) and an EXP share on someone else and go to town!

And if he really does just want a team of banned/legendary pokemon, and you go to the meet up times, I'd still battle him! I'm sure others would do the same :]

edited April 2012

Ha, me too. But I never saw anyone with a GBC out so I assumed I was the only one. This year I'm thinking of wearing a sign. "Gen 1 battles here!"

That may be a good idea. We can stake out a section of the handheld lounge and see who else shows up. I'm sure other people ready to play their older games are out there.

Xerlith on
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote: »
    <3<3<3 Prepare for ALL OF THE HUGS.
    Ready and rolling, sir! Super stoked~
    I have a something for you!
    A present? :D

I still have all your badges from last year. They're in a little heart-shaped jewelery box thing. They are my preciouses.

• GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Pokemon smack talk is fun.

If you guys find me over the weekend (Dashing good looks, blond hair, pretty blue eyes, etc.) wave me down. I'd love to battle your son (even if he doesn't have enough badges) and have him defeat one of the Elite 4.

Gameshark on
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    So guess who doesn't have a working team outside of my adventuring one? Me!.

You know what? This team has what no other team has. You know what it is.

Gameshark wrote: »
    Pokemon smack talk is fun.

If you guys find me over the weekend (Dashing good looks, blond hair, pretty blue eyes, etc.) wave me down. I'd love to battle your son (even if he doesn't have enough badges) and have him defeat one of the Elite 4.

We'll try to hunt you down - thanks! We won't be terribly tough to spot either, while I don't have dashing good looks the kid rocks a fedora where ever we go.

DanUNG wrote: »

I.... I do
    132924850615.png

I.... I do
    132924850615.png
    Is it... Heart?

I.... I do
    132924850615.png
    Is it... Heart?

It is

• TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    pf I got the 3 pokemon I'm training a little more then half way to the level I want them at... and what do I decide to do?

Stare at my pokemon adventures cover at Silver's Ursaring... now I'm breeding teddiursa... I chose terrible timing to want to add another of Silver's pokemon to my team

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
    That may be a good idea. We can stake out a section of the handheld lounge and see who else shows up. I'm sure other people ready to play their older games are out there.

So my GBA/GBC link cable has gone missing. I think it was intimidated by how awesome Gen 1 battles are.

I DO have my original Gameboy and GB Link cable, so I'm not wholly useless.

• VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular

We'll try to hunt you down - thanks! We won't be terribly tough to spot either, while I don't have dashing good looks the kid rocks a fedora where ever we go.

Your kid has the best taste in fashion. I love it.

On another note, I can't believe PAX starts tomorrow! I made my buddy get together a Pokemon team for PAX, ultra last minute, based on his team from Red / Blue. If you see a guy with a Farfetch'd on his team, that'll be him.

So my GBA/GBC link cable has gone missing. I think it was intimidated by how awesome Gen 1 battles are.

I DO have my original Gameboy and GB Link cable, so I'm not wholly useless.

I've only got my old link cable anyways. The GBA one doesn't work for older games. But yeah, we need to get together and have our pets kill each other while we watch for amusement.

When are the PPL meetups this year, anyway?

Friday at 4, Saturday at 4, Sunday at 3. All in the handheld lounge.

I missed catching any of the gym leaders Friday. A bad day, Blegh. Will have to make it up on Saturday. You'll see me as a gentleman in a powder blue suit carrying a rose.

Wow, this is tougher than I thought it was going to be! I'll be trying again at the handheld lounge meetup tomorrow!

Also, anyone have a casual tier Chesto Berry? I'm your rival!

Didn't make it to the meetup, but I've been talking to people about it around the lounge whenever I'm killin time. This is such an awesome thing, and even though I've only fought one gym leader and lost, I'm meeting lots of cool people!

Thanks for putting it together

• DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    3 PM, Propriety. Prepare yourself.

Edit: Nevermind. AT SOME TIME SUNDAY PROPRIETY.

DanUNG on
    Four gym badges, one Rival badge, three days of great Pokemon battles.

Thanks so much to all the Gym Leaders for doing all this work to create one of the coolest experiences at PAX.

Thanks so much to all the Gym Leaders for doing all this work to create one of the coolest experiences at PAX.

This, so much. Had a great time collecting my eight badges this year. Glad I got so many challenges from non-leaders too, because of my text box sign. The Pokemon League is always the highlight of PAX.

Thanks to all involved, we had a ton of fun...actually had a hard time getting the kid to leave but had to hit some other stuff. Left with 4 badges and a pokemon easter egg! Next year we'll be able to do the full weekend and won't be as rushed.

the PPL this year was great! I was so excited to be a part of it. My 6 badges from last year turned into 10 badges, 1 elite 4 badge + dawns badge just because I wanted it but couldn't beat her.

I'm proud of myself this year, and I can't wait to see everyone else! And all the Gym leaders were great, especially those who spent HOURS in the lounge just accepted challenges. I can't wait to see you all around

also, Volaro I finally kicked in, I remember you now XD. Your icon leaves a strong impression.

WOOPWOOPWOOP

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
    Haha, no worries. I figured people would remember my avatar if nothing else. Next year, I want a battle from you!

Volaro wrote: »
    Haha, no worries. I figured people would remember my avatar if nothing else. Next year, I want a battle from you!

same here, and I'll totally battle you via wifi if you want with my team from this year

I wanna attempt to be a gym leader next year and sport my wooper hoodie again as poke Wooperfanatic woopwoop xD since apparently I have now adopted that now.

WOOP WOOP!
    Volaro wrote: »

same here, and I'll totally battle you via wifi if you want with my team from this year

I wanna attempt to be a gym leader next year and sport my wooper hoodie again as poke Wooperfanatic woopwoop xD since apparently I have now adopted that now.

I'm applying for one next year too, keeping the theme unknown for now though. Mysterious! And I'd be up for a battle with my team this year sometime. Maybe some time tomorrow, if you've got time.

• BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular

That wooper hoodie was awesome

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Just created a forum account to comment on how awesome PAX pokemon league was. I was probably the most noob-ish person to beat the elite 4 and challenge the champion (and lose...), having discovered EV training, Smogon, and all that about 3 weeks ago. But people were friendly and awesome and I had an excellent time. Would love to apply to be a gym leader next year. Met my rival and hung out with him for a while; we fought two battles but I was stuck in tabletop all of Sunday so I failed to get a third battle.

Anyway, if you're one of the gym leaders who I fought (I was the girl with very short hair and no knowledge of gen 2 and 4 pokemon)--thanks for making it such an awesome experience.

Good job and thank you to the organizers!

Steam, LoL: credeiki