As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Double Dragon (XBLA, PSN) by Way Forward announced

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/122/1222234p1.html
Already showing some chops in the old-school department with their work on Shantae and Contra 4, developer Wayforward Technologies revealed that they are working with Majesco to bring an updated take on the classic side-scroller Double Dragon to Xbox LIVE Arcade and PlayStation Network. Double Dragon: Neon is an aptly-named 80s style reboot of the beloved franchise and is scheduled to release this July.

Double Dragon: Neon pits players as the familiar Lee brothers, Billy and Jimmy, as they fight to save Marian from a villain named Skullmageddon (Best. Name. Ever.) The gameplay is the same brand of 2D side-scrolling popularized by the original game several decades ago, albeit with even more of a wild, 80s flair.

tba-double-dragon-neon-20120403044154613_640w.jpg

jbcl37j7eaR4Qf.jpg

Immediate purchase for me. I cannot wait to hear the inevitable remix of the Double Dragon theme, one of the best songs in all of gaming. I also like the art style - it SCREAMS late 80's. The original Double Dragon, along with the original Shinobi, are 2 of the most cheesy-80's fashion games I can recall. when I want to transport myself back to 1988-1989, I just pop either of those games into my Sega Master System and relive the glory days. These screens capture that feel wonderfully, especially the mullets on Jimmy and Billy.

I wonder if the twist ending will still be in.

TheSonicRetard on

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    That looks so awesome. Kind of a different graphical style for a Wayforward game too. Day one purchase here as well.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    YES

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    Fuck yes.

League of Legends:Varega
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Oh hell yes. Finally.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Cool. Hopefully they can keep it interesting.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    That looks so awesome. Kind of a different graphical style for a Wayforward game too. Day one purchase here as well.

I'm willing to bet some will be upset that it's not pixel art like way forward is known for, but I adore the style. It's so incredibly 80's. All that needs to be added is a super 80's hard rock remix of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ubVQ21qHYU

I really loved the first Double Dragon. It, along with rampage, is easily the most played 2-player Sega Master System game I own. I have very fond memories of playing it with my friends and dad late at night. That theme song is burned into my skull.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    oh god yes

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Bought. So Bought. I wonder if it will be more Nes DD or SNES DD.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    I hope that this game comes out, and is so awesome that everyone buys it.

Then Wayforward will have all this capital laying around, and they make Battletoads & Double Dragon: Neon

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Bought. So Bought. I wonder if it will be more Nes DD or SNES DD.

It looks more like SMS/Genesis/Arcade DD than anything else. The original, in other words, not the butchered NES version or the remixed SNES version.

Skull2185 wrote: »

Then Wayforward will have all this capital laying around, and they make Battletoads & Double Dragon: Neon

Rare owns battletoads, unfortunately.

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    /bought

SkyTurnsRed on

Rare owns battletoads, unfortunately.

Nuts...

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    2D game franchise, wayforward...ugly 3D models.

I hate when they do this.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    I would love to see someone top this image in terms of sheer awesomeness:

d03gQ.jpg

Look at those goddamn Captain Planet-style mullets!! So awesome...

I'm willing to bet some will be upset that it's not pixel art like way forward is known for, but I adore the style. It's so incredibly 80's. All that needs to be added is a super 80's hard rock remix of this song:

I really loved the first Double Dragon. It, along with rampage, is easily the most played 2-player Sega Master System game I own. I have very fond memories of playing it with my friends and dad late at night. That theme song is burned into my skull.

I trust you've heard Vomitron's cover of the Double Dragon music? I'd link it on youtube, but I'm at work and I know the album cover is a bit NSFW.

SteevL wrote: »

I trust you've heard Vomitron's cover of the Double Dragon music? I'd link it on youtube, but I'm at work and I know the album cover is a bit NSFW.

I have not, but I'll look it up when I get home.

Those mullets are so great.

They always just looked like they had Paul Reiser hair dos in the old NES sprites.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    BIMMY AND JIMMY?!

Sign me the hell up.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQQdw1uRn04

steam_sig.png
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    This news makes my knuckles warm in that special, nostalgic way that only games like Double Dragon can do. I don't recall how many quarters I sank as a kid into Double Dragon, but maaann, it was probably a lot...

BRING ON THE FACEPUNCHINGS!

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    SteevL wrote: »

I have not, but I'll look it up when I get home.

Found it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9jD9c6zWCY

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Funny how it's so 80's, given that the original was in some sort of post-apocalyptic future, wasn't it?

Interesting style, to say the least. It reminds me of those CG covers for late 90's games which looked better than the actual game, but still paled in comparison to what we have now...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Wow, that looks like DD. I'm interested.

I'm still pissed I've never seen a ninja gaiden arcade game recreated. So many quarters.

I love beat em ups. Simpsons, xmen, Scott pilgrim , xmen, LOVED hunter the reckoning, and DnD Arcade (is that on XBLA yet?). I love beat em ups with RPG elements, would love to see another hunter game. I hope at the end of this you have to kill your team mate :D

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I prefer the NES theme, but thats beside the point.

I need this. I need it to be a part of me.

steam_sig.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I will be buying this.

I looks like it will scratch that itch that MAXIMUM CARNAGE has long left behind. My favorite brawler ever.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I will be buying this.

I looks like it will scratch that itch that MAXIMUM CARNAGE has long left behind. My favorite brawler ever.

You're good people. Literally, ranked.

That game was the best Spiderman game ever, well... tied with Spiderman 2 anyways.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was well into my 20s before I ever got past the cave on the NES. I also had the surprisingly faithful GB port.

Come to think of it, the VS mode on the NES was pretty baller, too. I was lucky enough to have a cousin who always wanted to play it. I would have totally forgotten about it, except for this Vomitron arrangement.

Delzhand on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Day fucking one.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    You know how long I've been craving an old school beat-em-up?

So long.

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular

So long.

Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers?

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

So long.

Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers?

Great games - my son and I put so many hours in Castle Crashers it's terrible. We also have played through Xmen arcade quite a few times.

Now off to start that online petition for Captain Commando II.

Hunter was a brawler? Do I need to go buy a copy?

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Wow, WayForward made a Contra? I knew Daisuke made one.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Didn't The Warriors already include a retro-themed Double Dragon clone INSIDE the already awesome game? They had an arcade cabinet in the hideout you could play it on, complete with trashy chick gut-punching to start.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    WHOOOOO!!! It's like a neon explosion of all the great times back in the eighties all at once!
    Allforce wrote: »
    Didn't The Warriors already include a retro-themed Double Dragon clone INSIDE the already awesome game? They had an arcade cabinet in the hideout you could play it on, complete with trashy chick gut-punching to start.
    Yeah, that was a terrific little extra on Rockstar North's part. The Warriors really was one of the best beat 'em ups released in the past few decades in terms of sheer style and gameplay. One of these days I should play through it again.

Grimthwacker on
    Cantido wrote: »
    Wow, WayForward made a Contra? I knew Daisuke made one.

contra4.jpg

I remember playing the shit out of Double Dragon at the arcade around 3rd-4th grade and loving it, then I finally got an NES and the home version of it awhile later and feeling COMPLETELY ripped off at how shitty it was in comparison. You couldn't even do co-op I don't think!

I remember playing the shit out of Double Dragon at the arcade around 3rd-4th grade and loving it, then I finally got an NES and the home version of it awhile later and feeling COMPLETELY ripped off at how shitty it was in comparison. You couldn't even do co-op I don't think!

I think I remember playing 2-player DD on NES with my brother.

Except now you got me questioning if it was NES or SNES...

It had 2P mode, but you had to alternate. So it was pointless.

I think I remember playing 2-player DD on NES with my brother.

Except now you got me questioning if it was NES or SNES...

The only 2-player mode in Double Dragon on NES was the versus mode. That disappointed me too, but I kind of grew to like the whole RPG-lite thing where you unlocked your moves by getting a certain amount of points.