As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel vs. Capcom 3] - Salt levels reaching critical mass

House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
Forget SFxT, the true king of kusoge is still here!

umvc3-v_38952_640screen.jpg

House of Paincakes on

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    It looks like Deadpool and Phoenix Wright are fist bumpin'

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    What is kusoge?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    It looks like Deadpool and Phoenix Wright are fist bumpin'

Ha, that's awesome.

What is kusoge?

This is in reference to this interview with Kusoru (Japanese player who recently won UMvC3 at Final Round XV in a HUGE pool of American killers, undefeated). Unfortunately I don't have a link but the jist of it was this:

Kusoru is a play on the Japanese word "kusoge" which means "shit." A kusoge game is generally regarded as a "bad" game. Kusoru loves these games because they're bad and he appreciates the brokenness of them. Players of these games don't really mind losing because when they lose, they feel like they lost because their opponent loves the game more than they do, so they're happy for them.

In short, he loves the game (and others like them) but will never take them seriously like American players do, and the Japanese culture as a whole doesn't take these types of games seriously.

Lastly, Kusoru has said that he does not plan to return to the US for a Marvel tournament because he felt the nature of the American Marvel scene was incredibly hostile, which runs counter to his reasons for playing the game. It's just not worth it to him to take the time and money to travel over here and go through that. He has said that he will consider going to EVO if had a sponsor, which I hope he gets.

Anyhow, as a result of this, there's been a lot of discussion regarding Marvel and Japan lately. It's interesting that SBO would pick up UMvC3 for two reasons:

1. They haven't cared about the series before.
    2. It's console exclusive whereas SBO is typically an arcade only event (they also picked up Soul Calibur 5, which is console exclusive).

I'll try to dig up that interview...

EDIT: Found it. I thought it was an interview but it's just an article. I don't agree with some of the things the article writer says about MvC3 being a terrible "anime" game because Kusoru is not a "legitimate player" (i.e. not playing on "our terms"), but the kusoge thing is still interesting.

http://romancancel.blogspot.com/2012/03/kusoru-wins-umvc3-at-final-round-xv.html

I also find it interesting that Kusoru was the one who originally discovered the DHC glitch. Neato!

House of Paincakes on
  • KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    Bad games make for FUN.

• KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    What is kusoge?

kuso = shit, ge = short version of ge-mu (game) -> shit game

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This is not saying alot when Sengoku Basara X and Hokuto no Ken has been in SBO/tougeki before.

We're talking about games that have shit like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14IST17bpd4#t=2m40s

Go to 2 min 40s.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    As much as I bitch about UMvC3, I still can't bring myself to play SFIV or SFvT even though I know they're solid fighting games. They just seem like such a chore compared to the craziness of the MvC series. A team made of the same three characters can just play so many different ways depending on who uses them. So much more speed and mobility involve, which I crave both of.

And yeah, not wanting to return to the US scene because it seems pretty hostile makes sense; I've heard of a fair amount of that.

I don't really see how anything about the way UMvC3 is played could be considered "our" terms, though. You fight with what works; just because somebody from Japan came up with a unique but viable team doesn't really mean anything other than somebody came up with a new winning team. Doesn't make any sense to me to say the guy is doing anything but exploring the game's potential.

EDIT: Just watched a bunch of the Kusoru vids from FR15. I like how he's super-friendly, yet the crowd behind him busts out into chanting "USA". Seriously? All sorts of awesome stuff going on and the crowd turns it into some stupid, pissy regional thing? No wonder he doesn't really want to come back here.

I'm glad Kusoru won, if for no other reason than he seems like a nice guy. Doubly so because of the team he was using.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I gave SFxT a shot, I really did. I want to like that game, but I just can't. It feels so slow and looks unimpressive comparted to UMvC3. Even when someone does something completely amazing, it doesn't really look that amazing, even compared to SF4. It feels like they just threw too many mechanics and too much technical stuff in to make the game fun.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    EDIT: Just watched a bunch of the Kusoru vids from FR15. I like how he's super-friendly, yet the crowd behind him busts out into chanting "USA". Seriously? All sorts of awesome stuff going on and the crowd turns it into some stupid, pissy regional thing? No wonder he doesn't really want to come back here.

Its not a stupid pissy regional thing. The US has always had an inferiority complex when it comes to going up against japanese players... and Marvel belongs to the US. Its the one game that americans honestly care about being better at than the japanese. People were devastated when Tokido won a major in Marvel for that reason.

The US players weren't being hostile. They're all very competitive and were rooting for USA. I was at Final Round this year. It was awesome.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular

Its not a stupid pissy regional thing. The US has always had an inferiority complex when it comes to going up against japanese players... and Marvel belongs to the US. Its the one game that americans honestly care about being better at than the japanese. People were devastated when Tokido won a major in Marvel for that reason.

The US players weren't being hostile. They're all very competitive and were rooting for USA. I was at Final Round this year. It was awesome.

Nope they were openly hostile, clearly you don't know what you're talking about. You never see Koreans getting, what do dirty Americans call it, "getting 'hype?'" Koreans never chant for their own country, making a group of 3-5 guys sound like an endless ocean of KO-REE-AH! drowning out the vast majority of the crowd or bum rush the stage draping (insert Korean player of the week who wins final) in the Korean flag. Nor do Koreans love chugging RedBull and stripping.

And we all know how anti-"hype" the Japanese are. So stoic and silent. Have you ever heard (Oh)Nuki commentate? That's right, no one has. That's because he trains church mice for a living when he's not on a candy cab exchanging pleasantries with his opponent.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    WOW

This is an awesome thread...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Column wrote: »

Nope they were openly hostile, clearly you don't know what you're talking about. You never see Koreans getting, what do dirty Americans call it, "getting 'hype?'" Koreans never chant for their own country, making a group of 3-5 guys sound like an endless ocean of KO-REE-AH! drowning out the vast majority of the crowd or bum rush the stage draping (insert Korean player of the week who wins final) in the Korean flag. Nor do Koreans love chugging RedBull and stripping.

And we all know how anti-"hype" the Japanese are. So stoic and silent. Have you ever heard (Oh)Nuki commentate? That's right, no one has. That's because he trains church mice for a living when he's not on a candy cab exchanging pleasantries with his opponent.

Yep. I obviously don't know what I was talking about... seeing as I was at the event and you guys werent.

Yeah Koreans... they never wave their flag around and take off their belts and jackets with flair right before an important match... oh wait thats poongko.

No one threatened Kuso. They just wanted money matches. Get your facts right.

Characters I hate:

Yep. I obviously don't know what I was talking about... seeing as I was at the event and you guys werent.

Yeah Koreans... they never wave their flag around and take off their belts and jackets with flair right before an important match... oh wait thats poongko.

No one threatened Kuso. They just wanted money matches. Get your facts right.

I was being as sarcastic as possible, I thought you'd know that for sure Folken, not only since you were there but I thought you'd know how Oh-Nuki commentates and how much shit he likes to talk in general.

Basically, read the exact opposite of everything I said. I agree with your first post 100%.

Unless you were taking the sarcasm to another level. Then Bravo sir, you got me.

God dammit Column why you gotta troll me? Well done sir.

I have no idea who the hell Oh-Nuki is.

Characters I hate:

God dammit Column why you gotta troll me? Well done sir.

I have no idea who the hell Oh-Nuki is.

Lol, that makes this make much more sense then. Oh-Nuki is a longtime, "old-school," so to speak, player. ST OG level of old-school, think like Valle, Choi, Watson, Wolfe brothers, etc.; the old timers at this point. I want to say he was to Chun what Daigo was to Ryu (and Boxer?) during the hey-day of ST. If nothing else he got a lot of international notoriety from his Chun in ST like Daigo with Ryu (and Boxer when his Ryu lost) and Tokido with the bullshit wall-dive shenanigans with Claw.

I know him best probably where most people that aren't hitting 30 do though, 3S. While, personally, I think 3S is the worst abortion of a SF game ever made to play, I can watch high level play of 3S on streams or youtube (thank you TheShend) all day. Easily one of my favorite spectator fighters. Oh-Nuki was more or less again THE Chun. He was also damn good at Darkstalkers, I want to say top ten, maybe top five in that game when he played it regularly. Like Tokido he's good at pretty much anything he plays.

The point of this though is, because he's got so much history with the Japanese scene, he loves talking shit and telling old stories about Daigo, KSK, etc. He's also a pretty boisterous commentator. He'd probably be great for SBO Marvel if there was some way to get it translated damn near instantly. He'd be throwing in color commentary while talking about the match in the best way.

That sounds awesome. The only OG chun player I heard of was oto-chun.

Screw marvel lets all play ST.

Characters I hate:

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bwahaha, I found out something completely hilarious today. I was playing an XF3 Dormammu on the far side of the screen from an Akuma who had enough health where I wanted to go for the chip. Stupidly, I did the tracking fireball and remembered right as I did it that Akuma's beam super is ultra-fast. The ball starts heading his way and I'm already cringing over the inevitable defeat.

As it turns out, that tracking fireball will eat right down the path of the ground Akuma beam and start wailing on him. It was damned hilarious since Akuma's beam just stopped wherever the ball was at, caught him on the cooldown, and took him out. Completely surprised me.

Almost as hilarious was somebody trying to do Sentinel's air hyper through one of those fireballs to destroy it. Apparently it won't destroy that ball of fire and Sentinel just zooms right overhead, stopping just in the right spot for a Chaotic Flame to catch him. Then the ball caught him. Then a pillar of purification caught him. Then another pillar got him and he died.

Oh, ran across somebody using a Joe/Shuma/Rocket Raccoon team today with him using the log trap business. This one actually knew how to play the team and I lost pretty hard. Definitely some obnoxious stuff, but I definitely could have played better; a Spinning Clothesline would have easily handled Joe's red-hot kicks so I could throw in the machine-gun punch and force Raccoon to tag in. Dunno where things would've gone from there, but it would've been better than chasing Joe around and eating log all day.

EDIT: Also found out that Cap's Hyper Charging Star will go right through Hawkeye's level 3 super and eat Hawkeye alive. Nice surprise for me; not so much for poor Hawkeye.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So any tips for the achievements for high scores in arcade? Jesus its like you have to perfect the entire game just for the lower end one.

I've managed 390,000 twice now, by playing on Very Easy, getting a few snap backs, and having a couple perfects. But usually I get chipped or something once a match and it ruins the perfect. I was running Iron Man/Doom/Magneto and literally just spamming the shit out of beams to avoid being hit. And STILL no cheevo!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So any tips for the achievements for high scores in arcade? Jesus its like you have to perfect the entire game just for the lower end one.

I've managed 390,000 twice now, by playing on Very Easy, getting a few snap backs, and having a couple perfects. But usually I get chipped or something once a match and it ruins the perfect. I was running Iron Man/Doom/Magneto and literally just spamming the shit out of beams to avoid being hit. And STILL no cheevo!

You have to think more inside the box. Beam spam is the way to go, but there's some ways you can make it much easier. First, set the damage as high as it'll go. Next, pick Sentinel for point. Then, spam C/crouching C while constantly calling Doom missile assist. This will basically let you perfect the first 5 stages without ever touching the stick. You can also perfect Galactus using Jill if you want to (her spinny gun super does gargantuan damage against him because he's fucking huge).

edit: oh hey my marvels are getting patched (360).

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    Bwahaha, I found out something completely hilarious today. I was playing an XF3 Dormammu on the far side of the screen from an Akuma who had enough health where I wanted to go for the chip. Stupidly, I did the tracking fireball and remembered right as I did it that Akuma's beam super is ultra-fast. The ball starts heading his way and I'm already cringing over the inevitable defeat.
    it turns out, that tracking fireball will eat right down the path of the ground Akuma beam and start wailing on him. It was damned hilarious since Akuma's beam just stopped wherever the ball was at, caught him on the cooldown, and took him out. Completely surprised me.

Almost as hilarious was somebody trying to do Sentinel's air hyper through one of those fireballs to destroy it. Apparently it won't destroy that ball of fire and Sentinel just zooms right overhead, stopping just in the right spot for a Chaotic Flame to catch him. Then the ball caught him. Then a pillar of purification caught him. Then another pillar got him and he died.

Oh, ran across somebody using a Joe/Shuma/Rocket Raccoon team today with him using the log trap business. This one actually knew how to play the team and I lost pretty hard. Definitely some obnoxious stuff, but I definitely could have played better; a Spinning Clothesline would have easily handled Joe's red-hot kicks so I could throw in the machine-gun punch and force Raccoon to tag in. Dunno where things would've gone from there, but it would've been better than chasing Joe around and eating log all day.

EDIT: Also found out that Cap's Hyper Charging Star will go right through Hawkeye's level 3 super and eat Hawkeye alive. Nice surprise for me; not so much for poor Hawkeye.

What team are you running these days? Still rocking spider man?

Characters I hate:

Nah, Spidey was just too frustrating. Can do some neat stuff, but playing him to win makes for pretty tedious matches. Running Haggar/Cap/Dormammu nowadays.

Haggar is actually pretty well suited to countering the bullshit teleport crossup spam that gets thrown out a lot, plus can deal huge damage and build huge meter. It never fails to amuse me when I put somebody on the defensive and grab them right through their cowering. Though right now, my favorite move is a semi-screwup recovery; get into an air combo with Haggar, OTG them into Cap's shield throw assist, and then "accidentally" miss the dash grab with Haggar. Haggar passes right underneath their air recovery, at which point I jump right back up, throw them to the ground, and get a combo going again. Works 99% of the time; only ever had one person break the grab just because it's so weird and unexpected.

Cap is on the slow side, but his shield throw can really screw with people and his projectile-destroying moves can make for fantastic turnarounds; makes for a pretty solid second character thanks to his fairly decent HP. I've also gotten tons of twofers thanks to Cap blasting right through projectile spam and using a couple of Hyper Charging Stars. And his shield throw seems custom-made to mess up Doom players that spam downward kicks and air projectiles; the shield has just the right timing to perfectly occupy those spaces that Doom wants and can frequently haul Doom in for a Cap combo.

And I'm not great with Dormammu, but I've yet to decide who I'd like to replace him with. Anybody who could replace him either isn't mobile enough, isn't somebody I'd want for XF3, doesn't have a strong enough projectile game, doesn't have the right assist, or is a character I detest. Not a huge deal, though; Dormammu works and I can't really blame the game for me being picky.

Nah, Spidey was just too frustrating. Can do some neat stuff, but playing him to win makes for pretty tedious matches. Running Haggar/Cap/Dormammu nowadays.

Haggar is actually pretty well suited to countering the bullshit teleport crossup spam that gets thrown out a lot, plus can deal huge damage and build huge meter. It never fails to amuse me when I put somebody on the defensive and grab them right through their cowering. Though right now, my favorite move is a semi-screwup recovery; get into an air combo with Haggar, OTG them into Cap's shield throw assist, and then "accidentally" miss the dash grab with Haggar. Haggar passes right underneath their air recovery, at which point I jump right back up, throw them to the ground, and get a combo going again. Works 99% of the time; only ever had one person break the grab just because it's so weird and unexpected.

Cap is on the slow side, but his shield throw can really screw with people and his projectile-destroying moves can make for fantastic turnarounds; makes for a pretty solid second character thanks to his fairly decent HP. I've also gotten tons of twofers thanks to Cap blasting right through projectile spam and using a couple of Hyper Charging Stars. And his shield throw seems custom-made to mess up Doom players that spam downward kicks and air projectiles; the shield has just the right timing to perfectly occupy those spaces that Doom wants and can frequently haul Doom in for a Cap combo.

And I'm not great with Dormammu, but I've yet to decide who I'd like to replace him with. Anybody who could replace him either isn't mobile enough, isn't somebody I'd want for XF3, doesn't have a strong enough projectile game, doesn't have the right assist, or is a character I detest. Not a huge deal, though; Dormammu works and I can't really blame the game for me being picky.

Just put wesker on anchor. Hate yourself later.

Sounds like an awesome team though. Hagger on point with projectile assist is pretty damn scary. I'm way too free to pipe.

Characters I hate:

Just put wesker on anchor. Hate yourself later.

Sounds like an awesome team though. Hagger on point with projectile assist is pretty damn scary. I'm way too free to pipe.

Wesker is losing steam as an anchor, really.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I feel that Wesker is overhyped, really.

He's up there but he isn't the best like people make him out to be.

The only reason he was such a problem in the beginning was that he pretty much stayed where he was while everyone else had to get used to their character changes.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    I feel that Wesker is overhyped, really.

He's up there but he isn't the best like people make him out to be.

The only reason he was such a problem in the beginning was that he pretty much stayed where he was while everyone else had to get used to their character changes.

He's still pretty stupid. His combos are very easy and he converts easily into combo damage off stray hits. His XF3 bonus is stupid and so is his XF glasses bonus.

That being said, he's just been way too over represented and it's easier to figure out a Wesker's attack patterns than a Zero's or Vergil's or Dante's.

Still, put him on point, and you've got a high health character with good zoning and rush down, good hyper options, high meter building potential, and combos out of command throw.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. But I can the best way I can put it is that to me Wesker is the way Ryu was before they nerfed him.

Basically, he's strong and basic and can deal with a lot of stuff but there are still better characters.

I'd say he's more like Rufus in that you know exactly what he is going to try to do, but that doesn't necessarily make stopping his bullshit any easier.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    It amuses/frustrates me that Capcom will go through the effort and expense of fixing the costume exploit, but continues to not address the game-breaking Hero Bonus bug that's plagued H&H from the very beginning.

It amuses/frustrates me that Capcom will go through the effort and expense of fixing the costume exploit, but continues to not address the game-breaking Hero Bonus bug that's plagued H&H from the very beginning.

The wha?

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    People actually play H&H?

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky

The wha?

In H&H, if both players have the hero bonus, you'll get a out-of-sync disconnect just as soon as the match begins. Most of the time it doesn't happen because one side will be winning for the whole week, but a large number of players on both sides will get the bonus if the points advantage shifts back and forth a lot.

And yes, people do play H&H, though it can be extremely difficult to get matches in off-hours. About 600 players have participated in this week's tug of war.

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    Man, Hulk drives me nuts. His gamma charge seems to blow through a lot of things and his standing H blows up any teleport mixups. I can try and zone him out but he gets in once and BAM, huge combo.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    oh, does anyone want to play this game (360, my tag is Logos22)

i haven't played marvel in forever

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    Man, Hulk drives me nuts. His gamma charge seems to blow through a lot of things and his standing H blows up any teleport mixups. I can try and zone him out but he gets in once and BAM, huge combo.

Hulk has a bunch of armored attacks. Standing M, his command forward M, standing H, and his forward Gamma Charge all are armored. His anti-air assist is also armored, making it pretty decent. Then on top of all that, his Gamma Crush hyper starts up ultra-fast and is completely invincible until Hulk lets go of the chunk of rock, but you can generally punish him before he lands and recovers from the end of the super.

Fighting Hulk is all about choosing the right moments to attack so you can avoid the armored stuff. His attacks are big and powerful, but eventually he'll throw out something you can punish. Assists are also really valuable; set it up so that the assist will hit before your own attacks and you can break the armor from a lot of hits. And if you have multi-hit assists, you can draw in Hulk to throw out standing H and fall for those multi-hit assists.

Using pushblocks correctly is also something helpful. It's very, very common for Hulk players to cover their forward Gamma Charges by canceling into Gamma Crush; don't pushblock any of it and you can punish Hulk when he pops out of the super. Conversely, lots of pushblocking will keep Hulk away after standing H attacks so you can counter whatever he does to cover the miss.

Just remember to always be really, really careful against Hulk because he will punish the hell out of any mistakes you make.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    also, don't fight hulk if it's lagging

just put the controller down

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    I need to get this game; hope it goes on sale soon.

I'd be plenty willing to sell it if I knew a decent way for that to happen. The game frustrates me just as much as I enjoy it, but I can't really say I haven't got my money's worth out of it.

I think it's just time for me to just give up on the idea that it'll get decently fixed up. Between the December patch that did nothing meaningful and this last patch that did nothing meaningful, it's clear that Capcom has more or less abandoned the notion of doing anything but trying to wring money out of costumes.

Though it looks like you're on PS3 anyway, so it wouldn't matter.

I think I may just look for a used copy.

• Luncheon LoafLuncheon Loaf Registered User regular
    Yeah, I essentially advance guard nothing against hulk. Throw finger lasers from super jump height and when he gets in just wait for standing H or gamma charge and punish. Repeat. Can't play offensive against him at all online.

I'll play: Luncheon Loaf on XBL (doom, dorm, sent)

xbl: halophilicNC
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I love the look of UMvC3, tempted to grab it for Vita, but I've seen nothing but hate for it the past few weeks, most recommendations being to get BlazBlue instead.

Also, Vergil from DMC being in this is crazy awesome. He any good? I'd probably stick with him even if he's lowest tier. :P

Oh brilliant