As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]GuildWarLands 2: 96.5% more wuvwuv PRE-ORDER DETAILS IN OP OMGYES!

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I think they just mean they want to save some starter content to be a surprise on launch.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Hopefully they don't do what Warhammer Online did for the battering rams.

And require, what was it, 4 people to work together to hit the BIG NUMBARS to actually kill the door quick.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    LordOfMeep wrote: »
    I wonder what they mean by fearing that the Asura and Sylvari starting areas could be spoilery. Do they just mean they don't want to give them all away so more people will be encouraged to play them at release? I don't think they'd be silly enough to put actual plot spoilers in 2 starting areas.

Still, kinda silly that they're doing all this beta testing and not letting people beta test 2 of the races. I hope that doesn't bite anyone in the rear.

We've still got many months to go before release. I'm sure it's just a question of getting the starter areas down. After all, both races were playable in an earlier beta, just starting at a higher level.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah. The Warhammer Online battering ram was awful.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    I dunno if you guys heard, but there is apperantly going to be some region restriction shenanigans going on in GW2.
    I don't really understand in what way it will restrict things, but it seems that you won't be able to play outside of the region your account is associated with, e.g if you're an american then you won't be able to log into the game while in europe unless you also purchase a EU-account.
    This sounds pretty darn weird so I'd love to be corrected:

massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/05/arenanet-details-guild-wars-2s-squad-mechanics/
    Is my copy of Guild Wars 2 tied to my region?

Yes. To play from North America you must purchase a North American copy of the game. To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.

By purchasing the correct copy of the game, you're supporting the game in your country, and you'll be connecting to your local data center, using your local customer support team, and downloading the correct language support for your country.
    Here are some answers and clarifications for you! First, if you purchase the game from https://buy.guildwars2.com/ you'll automatically be sorted into the right region.

And don't worry -- we want you to play with your friends wherever you are. This policy only affects where you can login from -- not which worlds you can access. People from NA will be able to play with people from EU at launch. We've got two datacenters -- one in NA and one in EU. Those who do not fall into either of those two regions will default to the NA datacenter.

Finally, we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you.

steam_sig.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The solution is obvious.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The solution is obvious.

Yeah, don't limit where you can login from.

• ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Really, how many people travel between North America and Europe on a regular enough basis that this is an actual problem to worry about? And those that do surely have the money to spare for an additional copy of the game.

• SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Really, how many people travel between North America and Europe on a regular enough basis that this is an actual problem to worry about? And those that do surely have the money to spare for an additional copy of the game.

If it's just NA and EU, then it probably wouldn't be a big deal as it wouldn't affect many. But add in more regions, such as dividing up Europe in east/west, or similarly, then I think a lot more people would get affected.

steam_sig.png
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    The only viable reason I can think of is that since EU and NA are far enough apart time-wise (especially west coast versus eastern EU), you could get a pair of people to pitch in for one game and share. Other than weekends, there would be little to no overlap in play times, so they could get away with this. For a normal P2P MMO this isn't a concern because the company is getting revenue each month regardless. For this, since you only pay once (besides cash shop stuff), it could essentially be a revenue issue.

However, I think that is a stretch. And a far stretch at that.

• RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    am0n wrote: »
    The only viable reason I can think of is that since EU and NA are far enough apart time-wise (especially west coast versus eastern EU), you could get a pair of people to pitch in for one game and share. Other than weekends, there would be little to no overlap in play times, so they could get away with this. For a normal P2P MMO this isn't a concern because the company is getting revenue each month regardless. For this, since you only pay once (besides cash shop stuff), it could essentially be a revenue issue.

However, I think that is a stretch. And a far stretch at that.

That could easily be fixed by having a computer system monitor where you log in from. Let's say I mostly play from The US, but then travel to Europe for a week on business, then come back to the US. Said system would notice my change of location, but realize that I'm only playing from Europe for that week, then back to the US.

Player B's account is seen playing from the US, then 2 hours later from Europe. This process repeats everyday or frequent enough to be suspicious, and the system flags the account. A guy from arena.net looks at the logs and determines that two people are indeed playing the same account, and bans the account.

It's a stretch like you thought. There must be some other reason.

Rednaz on
    Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Can you feel the wuvwuv tonight?

Jordan Massey on the Role of the Squad in WvW

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    I'd be willing to bet this is a security issue more than anything else. Honestly, if I could flag every account I own to never be accessed from outside of the U.S., I would be a happy camper.

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    First, if you purchase the game from https://buy.guildwars2.com/ you'll automatically be sorted into the right region.

There's probably THOUSANDS of potential customers who, for the next few weeks, will be overseas (examples: students doing a semester abroad, military personnel staffed overseas etc.) and may not realize that if they prepurchase online the store will detect their location and give them the client for that location... which will then stop working when they return home in a month or two.

That's a BIG issue, and one which ANet needs to address asap.

Archangle on
    You're assuming the game just stops working if you aren't in the right location.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I had a long post written up about why I am excited for, and why it is okay to be excited for, GW2. I have since realized that it was pointless because you guys know this shit too. But I want to talk a little bit about it anyway, because I am avoiding studying for my midterm tomorrow.

This game has alot of smart things going for it. One WvW zone, down leveling (thus less dead zones), a better public questing system, no monthly fee, and a smart action bar. I know every other game is shit in a thread like this, but Warhammer Online had some pretty cool ideas right? And it seems like ANet took a look at where WAR broke down in terms of its outdoors PvP and public quest system (the best parts about that game, or should have been), and determined what would be needed to make it work long term. I can get behind this. WAR was pretty awesome during beta when everyone was in one zone, and in the same level range. One of my fondest gaming memories, for sure.

Just give me a release date. D:

Foolish Chaos on
    edited April 2012
    Arthil wrote: »
    You're assuming the game just stops working if you aren't in the right location.
    To play from North America you must purchase a North American copy of the game. To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.

...Finally, we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you.

Either they misworded that incredibly badly, or if you take a NA copy to Europe you cannot play.

Archangle on
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think they mean the purchase is tied to a certain region of servers.

As in, you can play using your NA copy in Europe, except you'll be connecting to NA servers.

But yeah, worded badly.

Huggles on
    edited April 2012
    Huggles wrote: »

As in, you can play using your NA copy in Europe, except you'll be connecting to NA servers.

But yeah, worded badly.

I'm one of those who falls into "regularly travel" camps who has no desire to purchase multiple copies, I'd be happy with "NA copies will access the NA datacentres, and Europe copies will access the Europe datacentres". Which would be expected, and really wouldn't need explanation or clarification - that's pretty much how any international MMO works.

(As an aside, it often amuses me when players complain of "high latency" of 200ms, and declare a game is unplayable above that - last time I've had a latency below 350ms was around Easter last year when I was working in LA)

But "To play from <location> you must purchase <version>"? That's just asking for controversy.

Archangle on
  • PaiPai Ghost in the Machine Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if the digital prepurchase will allow you to immediately download the client? I worry that there will be a stampede on the servers that will make d/ling it take forever if they wait until right before the next beta event before letting people download it.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    I am assuming that the prepurchase is going to fund the servers so the dl issues world servers on release wont be an issue at all.

But I assume there will be some preload time before the servers are open.

Pai wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the digital prepurchase will allow you to immediately download the client? I worry that there will be a stampede on the servers that will make d/ling it take forever if they wait until right before the next beta event before letting people download it.

I doubt they even have the final client ready for you to download. Even if they did have a client to download, there would be a ton of updates that go through before the game goes out, so I don't see the advantage.

I also doubt that there won't be a pre-load when it gets close to actual release.

Knowing ArenaNet, the client one gets in these betas will be the client for release.

• SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »

But yeah, worded badly.

I'm one of those who falls into "regularly travel" camps who has no desire to purchase multiple copies, I'd be happy with "NA copies will access the NA datacentres, and Europe copies will access the Europe datacentres". Which would be expected, and really wouldn't need explanation or clarification - that's pretty much how any international MMO works.

(As an aside, it often amuses me when players complain of "high latency" of 200ms, and declare a game is unplayable above that - last time I've had a latency below 350ms was around Easter last year when I was working in LA)

But "To play from <location> you must purchase <version>"? That's just asking for controversy.

That's actually something that worries me. Living in Asia, I've never gotten a good ping. 200 happens when the stars, the moon, the sun align. Used to clock 600ms on WoW, 800 raiding. Currently averaging 400ms in Guild Wars 1, and sometimes your actions really feel retarded.

The no-Oceanic servers part also is pretty disheartening, especially given that GW2 seems to be very lag-sensitive.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Archangle wrote: »

But yeah, worded badly.

That's actually something that worries me. Living in Asia, I've never gotten a good ping. 200 happens when the stars, the moon, the sun align. Used to clock 600ms on WoW, 800 raiding. Currently averaging 400ms in Guild Wars 1, and sometimes your actions really feel retarded.

The no-Oceanic servers part also is pretty disheartening, especially given that GW2 seems to be very lag-sensitive.

I feel you on the WoW raiding ping - back when I used to MT in WotLK, my entire raid used to groan if Heroic Icehowl targeted me in Crusaders' Coliseum because they knew my latency wouldn't allow me to get out of the way in time.

However, I started playing GW1 from Japan and my main is a Ranger - I've never had too many problems with interrupts, so I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to hold my own.

Besides, given that the game is designed to regularly pit EU and US players together (they've said that EU and US will be playing on the same Worlds) there will be a degree of built-in latency buffer so that their EU and US datacentres can talk to each other.

Archangle on
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Wait, I think the idea is that US and EU players CAN play on the same Worlds, but I would hope they'd be matching up servers from the NA group against other NA servers and same for EU.

I'd rather not play in an environment where the game is somehow automatically set up to compensate for Igor's 900ms ping because he's trying to play from Northern Kraptachkistanz on the NA servers. To me, if you make the choice to play on a world outside your region and don't have the connection to support it, then you should be prepared for the crappy latency that goes along with it.

So yeah, I'm not sure if that's correct about them intending people playing in regions other than where they're living (NA vs EU right now) to be the normal case.

I mean from a design perspective, they will (hopefully) have built in aspects that will allow for a degree of latency.

For example, in GW1 all interrupts have a 0.25 activation time. However, there are virtually no skills with a 0.5 activation time and a very small proportion that have 0.75 activation time - the majority have an activation time 1s or longer.

That's a design decision - they COULD balance the skills around 0.5 and 0.75 activation times and you could still interrupt them with a good ping. But they knew from the get-go they were going to have people from around the world fighting with each other, so they built in a latency buffer at the design stage so that a Taiwan team could still interrupt an EU team's skills despite playing from the opposite side of the world and vice versa.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, what you're saying is that most of my skills...I'm going to hit a button..and 1 second later, they'll activate? D:

EDIT: Basically, I don't want MY combat to feel unresponsive, because Arenanet is making design decisions to accomodate the minority use case versus the majority use case. The vast majority of people will be playing in the same region, within the same levels of latency. But making exceptions so that one random guy in Taiwan can interrupt some dude in Atlanta sees like it could negatively impact the feel of the game for the millions of other people playing versus other people in the same region.

ironzerg on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    qByAD.png

488W936.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    That squads article is awesome. I really can't wait to be mobilizing in sophisticated ways for the world v world.

edited April 2012
    ironzerg wrote: »
    So, what you're saying is that most of my skills...I'm going to hit a button..and 1 second later, they'll activate? D:

EDIT: Basically, I don't want MY combat to feel unresponsive, because Arenanet is making design decisions to accomodate the minority use case versus the majority use case. The vast majority of people will be playing in the same region, within the same levels of latency. But making exceptions so that one random guy in Taiwan can interrupt some dude in Atlanta sees like it could negatively impact the feel of the game for the millions of other people playing versus other people in the same region.

No, I'm saying that you'll hit the button and immediately your character will start the animation to attack/cast a spell, and 1 second later the attack/spell will physically hit the target. During that second, your opponent has a chance to spot that animation/cast timer and activate a faster attack specifically to interrupt your attack.

If you haven't played GW1, there are virtually no "Instant" attacks like WoW or SWTOR where you hit the button and a fraction of a second later the damage number appears on the screen. Almost every skill has a cast time, but that's fine and still feels responsive because the game is designed around that (for one thing, there's no GCD blocking out your skillbar for 1.5s - you can actually unload skills faster than WoW).

If you watch the GW2 videos you'll see a similar thing - the characters actually physically attack/cast at varying speeds depending on weapon/skill, and the damage occurs when they connect. That's intentional and gives you, the player, a chance to see the attack coming and hit your dodge - "dodging" seems to have taken the place of "interrupts" for GW2. The speed of those animations seems to be designed so it still feels "fast", but has a degree of flexibility for players from around the world.

To give you an idea, compare this video of a ranger in GW1 pvp to this video of a ranger in GW2 pvp.

Archangle on
  • RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Worried about not being able to login outside your region as I will be living in two different countries for the next couple of years. Hope to get some clarification regarding their rules soon. Looks like a very interesting game. Hopefully it will deliver on a lot of the "a new kind of mmorpg"-promises.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Unless you're an ele with a wand in air attunement. Then all 3 of your skills have no activation times, and 2 and 3 can be cast while channeling 1.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yeah, it doesn't feel laggy because the UI informs you of what's going on. You know exactly how long the charge time for all skills is, and you see it on your screen when you activate the skill.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I think it's going to take some time to getting used to melee classes having activation skills, at least for those of us who have most of their background in WoW/TOR/etc., but I think I'll be into it. It adds needed depth to a game where you can actually dodge attacks and what not. TOR has some of this, but it's more unintentional, like you can use knockbacks to push a sith warrior/jedi knight away from you as he starts the animation for his AoE and it won't hit you since the damage is not applied until the end of the animation.

It just seems to be intentional in GW2, and the activation bar lets you know when it'll land.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It's not even going to be new to most players who played GW1.

What is this I don't even.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I am willing to learn anything for a game able to entertain.

488W936.png
    Yes, that's why I conditioned my statement to reference those of us who are used to more typical MMO combat. I played GW1 very briefly, but I don't even remember the combat to be honest. GW2 is more like WoW and those types of games than GW1 ever was, so it's going to bring in many people who are used to those games.

So I just read in this interview that you can visit other servers to play PvE with friends, but if you want to WvWvW on their team one of you will have to server transfer, and there will be a fee associated with that. I had thought the moving about was going to be free with a cooldown on doing WvW or something, but this works as well. It's cool that they're even doing the world visiting with friends, as that's more than you get with other games.

GW2 interview with Mike Ferguson

Joshmvii wrote: »
    So I just read in this interview that you can visit other servers to play PvE with friends, but if you want to WvWvW on their team one of you will have to server transfer, and there will be a fee associated with that. I had thought the moving about was going to be free with a cooldown on doing WvW or something, but this works as well. It's cool that they're even doing the world visiting with friends, as that's more than you get with other games.

GW2 interview with Mike Ferguson

The paid Home server transfer (not visiting servers) is to prevent people from just hopping servers to get the WvW benefit for winning. You don't get the benefit from your server's buff unless you've been on the server before the server's win. That's the reason behind the payment.

But yes, visiting other servers is freaking amazing. It's another thing, like the sidekick system, that allows you to easily play with your friends.

This discussion has been closed.