As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] So you have some minis? and you want to Play? AWESOME

13»

• Options
    karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    No way. That mission sounds really imbalanced. It's basically a difference between spam hits and efficient hits.

Not sure how else the reverse killpoints scenario can be saved. The reason I divide it up per turn is so that something like the green tide can't instantly win (tho they will get 1-2 turns). Try playing it. Try to metagame it. It's not as bad as the first draft.

karlthepagan on
  • Options
    BenszorBenszor Registered User new member
    Is there anything against proxy models? I gave up on my local game shop getting in blisters of Satyxis raiders and ordered some online to make a full squad of 10. They probably won't arrive in time for PAX, bah. I was curious if I could proxy appropriate base size models to complete the unit or if that would be frowned on.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I wish somebody would run a Mordheim demo. I'd love to learn that game.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    I'm considering bringing 32 purifiers and Crowe... and then loaning it out to someone because that list is just dicks all the way down.

• Options
    Sam ButlerSam Butler Minis coordinator Pax East, Minis Dept manager, Hobby Dept manager Pax Unplugged BostonRegistered User regular
    you can only do that at most twice...
    Benszor wrote: »
    Is there anything against proxy models? I gave up on my local game shop getting in blisters of Satyxis raiders and ordered some online to make a full squad of 10. They probably won't arrive in time for PAX, bah. I was curious if I could proxy appropriate base size models to complete the unit or if that would be frowned on.

I believe that that would not work as per the SR2012 rules (I don't have a problem with that but I'm the co-ordinator not the TO.)

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I'm considering bringing 32 purifiers and Crowe... and then loaning it out to someone because that list is just dicks all the way down.

Help a brother out.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Sam ButlerSam Butler Minis coordinator Pax East, Minis Dept manager, Hobby Dept manager Pax Unplugged BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Help a brother out.

I would respectfully ask you not to do that as in your own words "It's dicks all the way down" and That is exactly what I would hope people would not do. (Ie be a jerk/ or enable others to be jerks.) At least not for the tournament. for Freeplay however... Go for it. Then it's entirely between you and your opponent(s).

Slots Remaining
    Warhammer fantasy (11/14)
    Warmachine (0/16) (Full) Beginning "waitlist..."
    Warhammer 40k (7/16)

Sam Butler on
  • Options
    Sam Butler wrote: »
    I would respectfully ask you not to do that as in your own words "It's dicks all the way down" and That is exactly what I would hope people would not do. (Ie be a jerk/ or enable others to be jerks.) At least not for the tournament.

Sam: I'm getting mixed messages (bring it hard, but don't bring an Adepticon list). We'll talk Friday and maybe we should do a few demo rounds in the afternoon. This is kind of why people were objecting to the 40k comp rules.

I really do want to see more tabletop tournaments at PAX and prime is going to need a sponsor and organizer and a lot of legwork so that 40k doesn't flop again.

Having fun rules and scenarios that don't fall apart to the flavor of the month can keep the atmosphere you want. I'm not the only one with these models and so I want to solve the potential problems. I think some special scenarios might be able to save us.

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    for the race to the bottom mission, I would just take loganwing (max comp, they're all troops!) and then deepstrike all my pods into the 4 corners and hope they mishap off the table and my enemy just loses right out.

Fucking ridiculous tournament.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Even though I'm really not a fan of this 40k tourney's comp system (the reasons given for having it seem to be counter to the system itself... by rewarding the current WAAC meta of troop/transport spam instead of punishing it) I'm still interested in participating. But I have a few questions:

1) What time will it be running? In my experience 3 game tournaments at 1500pts is an entire day thing, from 9-6. But the PAX schedule says this is only 12-4?

2) How does 3 games and 5 custom missions work? Each table has it's own mission? Or are we all playing the same mission at the same time?

3) Is there any prize support?

4) How is the winner determined? Just best overall? (KV + sports + comp?)

I'm still on the fence if I'm going to participate or not. I need more info before I commit to bringing 2 cases of models on an international flight and giving up 40% of my PAX weekend to doing something I do every weekend anyway (play 40k) :P

edit: oh and as for comp, is there a cap to the amount of points you can get for comp? It seems a Space Marine razor spam or DE Venom spam net list would get a comp score of 37? That's more than the maximum battle points able to be earned per mission (30pts max per mission.) Is this intentional?

Comp: 1 HQ + 6 Troops would be 10 + 2 + (5x5) = 37pts
    VCs : Primary + Secondary + Tertiary would be 15 + 10 + 5 = 30pts

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Even though I'm really not a fan of this 40k tourney's comp system (the reasons given for having it seem to be counter to the system itself... by rewarding the current WAAC meta of troop/transport spam instead of punishing it) I'm still interested in participating. But I have a few questions:

1) What time will it be running? In my experience 3 game tournaments at 1500pts is an entire day thing, from 9-6. But the PAX schedule says this is only 12-4?

That is an error. Registration is as soon as folks arrive Dice roll at 11am. the tournament should wrap up at around 5pm or so.
    2) How does 3 games and 5 custom missions work? Each table has it's own mission? Or are we all playing the same mission at the same time?
    Only three missions will be used.
    3) Is there any prize support?
    Just the Medals Supplied by PAX, and a sorry the dice gods failed you for last place.
    4) How is the winner determined? Just best overall? (KV + sports + comp?)
    Correct.
    I'm still on the fence if I'm going to participate or not. I need more info before I commit to bringing 2 cases of models on an international flight and giving up 40% of my PAX weekend to doing something I do every weekend anyway (play 40k) :P

The level of dedication to even consider doing so is... my hat's off to you sir.
    edit: oh and as for comp, is there a cap to the amount of points you can get for comp? It seems a Space Marine razor spam or DE Venom spam net list would get a comp score of 37? That's more than the maximum battle points able to be earned per mission (30pts max per mission.) Is this intentional?

Examples:
    Comp: 1 HQ + 6 Troops would be 10 + 2 + (5x5) = 37pts
    VCs : Primary + Secondary + Tertiary would be 15 + 10 + 5 = 30pts

No that is an error. I will be capping the comp at +15.

I look forward to meeting you (whether you decide to bring your army(s) or not)

Slots Remaining
    Warhammer fantasy (11/14)
    Warmachine (1/16)
    Warhammer 40k (2/16)

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Just met Ray who wants to play an Apocalypse size game of 40k. I recommend Sunday.

karlthepagan on
  • Options

Fortunately I'm prepared to play not 100% troops lists. Anyone who was banking on +25 comp or more to get them through the tournament gets what they deserve IMO ;P

• Options
    edited April 2012

Fortunately I'm prepared to play not 100% troops lists. Anyone who was banking on +25 comp or more to get them through the tournament gets what they deserve IMO ;P

Quite.

Sam Butler on
  • Options
    Just met Ray who wants to play an Apocalypse size game of 40k. I recommend Sunday.

Indeed. That would be awesome... Will add to notes for next year...

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Slots Remaining
    Warhammer fantasy (9/14)
    Warmachine (0/16)
    Warhammer 40k (0/16)

Sam Butler on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular

Fortunately I'm prepared to play not 100% troops lists. Anyone who was following the rules as given gets what they deserve IMO ;P

FTFY

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Half an hour too late to sign up for the 40k Tourney. Of course!

I think I'll bring my 40k army anyway just in case.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Half an hour too late to sign up for the 40k Tourney. Of course!

I think I'll bring my 40k army anyway just in case.

Actually there may be a slot... One of the players MAY be unable to play due to the omegathon...

By all means come "check" in on Sat morning ASAP. I won't know for sure til then If He is indeed out.

Sam Butler on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Sam can get you into tabletop if you are stuck in line. Ask an Enforcer for help getting in if you are going to be late for an event you prereg'd for. I've asked Warp if she can do anything about access to TT but it is a security issue.

karlthepagan on
  • Options
    Results for the 40k Tournament

Missions 1,2,4 (in the order they were played)

1st Overall: Chris Bradley 112 points
    2nd Overall: Auston Hershaw 91 points
    3rd Overall: Mike Fiume 87 Points

Most consistent (no award... THIS year...) Frank Ramsey (10 battle points EVERY ROUND)
    Smokin' Boots: Andrew Ojeman : 31 points

Total Score Breakdown

Name Army Comp Sports R1 R2 R3 Total
    Chris Bradley Orks 22 15 30 30 15 112
    Auston Habershaw Daemons 22 14 0 25 30 91
    Mike Fiume CSM 12 15 30 5 25 87
    Mike Voda Orks 22 14 10 20 20 86
    Chris O' Hare SM 25 15 15 25 0 80
    Andrew Sudbury SM 12 15 20 25 5 77
    Chris Safirik GK 12 14 10 30 10 76
    Todd Rautenberg CSM 25 15 5 5 20 70
    Frank Ramsey SM 17 15 10 10 10 62