As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of Myths & Monsters, of Brawls & Uprisings: The Kid Icarus Thread

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    I've been running with an Orb Staff, didn't know about zooming, still enjoy using it.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dracil wrote: »
    So apparently Play Dead makes you invincible as well as invisible, and it lasts 5s per level if you don't move around. I can see this being abused horribly with ranged weapons (combine homing, slip shot, invisible shots for even more cheese)

It also gives you a nice breather to page through your abilities and pick the next one. I usually put on Super Armor while playing dead.
    iowa wrote: »
    bumblebee lvl3

dodge all attacks by vanishing and circling around the enemy in an instant.

this power owns

Yes, Bumblebee is amazing.

What I like about it is that (as far as I can tell) it has no time limit - it lasts for a specific number of dodges before running out. The one I have lasts for two dodges, it's probably level 1. As soon as it runs out I pop another one. It's great stuff, although remember that it only works when you are not running or dodging.

I used to have a big variety of abilities, healing, tirelessness, status effects etc. Then I realized I never use anything but opening with Megalaser and Bumblebee. Now all I have is Megalaser, Bumblebee, decent levels of Super Armor and Play Dead, and a Poison Attack that I squeezed in. This is for general use, ranged and melee.

If I switch to a mostly ranged/sniping sort of setup, I'll probably take out the armor and put in a level 3 Homing. Shots with good homing are a sight to behold, on open maps you can just fire up in the air and it's going to hit somebody.

Does anyone know what Counter does? I tried using it a lot and never noticed it doing anything. It's certainly no Bumblebee.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what Counter does? I tried using it a lot and never noticed it doing anything. It's certainly no Bumblebee.

As long as you have Counter active any hit from an enemy won't knock you back, and it'll send a shockwave their way to damage them. It's useful against pesky big guys hit hard and soak up a lot of damage.

I just finished Chapter 8, the most WTF moment I've had in a game in a long while. . .
    HOLY CRAP SPACE KRAKEN!!!
    This game is amazing.

• iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I used to have a big variety of abilities, healing, tirelessness, status effects etc. Then I realized I never use anything but opening with Megalaser and Bumblebee. Now all I have is Megalaser, Bumblebee, decent levels of Super Armor and Play Dead, and a Poison Attack that I squeezed in. This is for general use, ranged and melee.

I can only squeeze in lvl 3 megalaser, lvl 3 bumblebee, and lvl 3 super armor right now. I never run out of super armor and can have bumblebee active for like 75% of the match. its awesome. i run out megalaser too fast since usually the best opportunities are at the start of the match.

i used to use autoreticle but it's a little redundant once you turn on auto aiming or whatever in options.

anyone use transparency? it's pretty good to get out of a bind but i just wasn't using it enough. plus sometimes it seemed like dude could just see through it somehow. was pretty good when you're angel though.

also i cant wait until i get a decent set of claws, pref beam claws. though i'm pretty bad at melee fighting. it's so much easier to just spam left/right/back dash in circles around people and spam the palm attack.

iowa on

I can only squeeze in lvl 3 megalaser, lvl 3 bumblebee, and lvl 3 super armor right now. I never run out of super armor and can have bumblebee active for like 75% of the match. its awesome. i run out megalaser too fast since usually the best opportunities are at the start of the match.

i used to use autoreticle but it's a little redundant once you turn on auto aiming or whatever in options.

anyone use transparency? it's pretty good to get out of a bind but i just wasn't using it enough. plus sometimes it seemed like dude could just see through it somehow. was pretty good when you're angel though.

Here's my setup based on what I posted above. I was a little wrong, the only level 2 things are Super Armor and Bumblebee...but I think a variety of abilities is more important to me than one or two giant things.

MtAXX.png

Also I never turned on aim assist because I assumed there would be big penalties for using it, less points earned or something. I can't believe that there'd be no repercussions since it does make Autoreticle a bit redundant.

I don't think I'll bother with transparency, isn't it basically the same thing as Play Dead but with longer invisibility? Play Dead's enough for me, although I just realized the absurdity of using it as an angel.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Autoreticle isn't so much super aim assist as it is we will lock the reticule on the nearest target instantly for x seconds.

It's really fucking good actually.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I absolutely love games like this that have
    false endings.

I wish more games did it.

I also love the lack of a fourth wall. It's like...they didn't break the fourth wall, they never bothered to build the damn thing in the first place.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited April 2012
    Autoreticle isn't so much super aim assist as it is we will lock the reticule on the nearest target instantly for x seconds.

It's really fucking good actually.

hmmm. i'd probably re-equip it if I were using a melee class then. It just didn't help that much with my mid/close range palms. its usually not that hard to land most of your shots.
    Also I never turned on aim assist because I assumed there would be big penalties for using it, less points earned or something. I can't believe that there'd be no repercussions since it does make Autoreticle a bit redundant.
    i haven't noticed anything penalty.

iowa on
    (Xeno didn't write that about the penalty, I did, but cool I guess, I'll have to turn it on...)

oh yeah. the drafting feature in quick respond sucks

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

I also love the lack of a fourth wall. It's like...they didn't break the fourth wall, they never bothered to build the damn thing in the first place.

I know, it's like having your buddies chat about what's going on while you shoot bad guys. Very charming!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    i don't understand how power thief works.

the lava map sucks so bad.

i once got pushed in as a full health angel. so pissed.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Auto reticle is actually good for melee IMO. As long as they appear somewhere on your screen even if they're on the very edge, you home into them. (Note: not properly tested, maybe it does this anyway).

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    What does aim assist do, for comparison?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    I don't think I'll bother with transparency, isn't it basically the same thing as Play Dead but with longer invisibility? Play Dead's enough for me, although I just realized the absurdity of using it as an angel.

Transparency makes you the Predator. I've used it in one of my Claw loadouts, where I feel it fits best.

Basically, you pop it at the start of the match and RUN YOUR ASS towards the enemies. It lets you get the drop on them, and with the increased run speed from Claws it's a good scouting power.

My favorite power is Energy Charge. If you play smart you won't get hit. You can swoop in for a Running Melee attack, and if you've got additional points in the stat it One-Shots.

Speaking of stats, Speed, Stamina, and Overall Defense have to be my favorite. Good general stats to have on any weapon. Next would be an offense-based stat, like Charge Shot or an equivalent. Status Effects are so-so, unless you're lucky enough to get one with a high level.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
    V Faction wrote: »
    Status Effects are so-so, unless you're lucky enough to get one with a high level.

Petrification and Freeze are just nuts in this game where speed is king.

I'm still trying to transfer Petrification +4, Shot Homing +3, Shot Range +3 off of this damn club...I haven't had a lot of time to play recently.

• SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    Petrification, Freeze and Weakness are the only good conditions. Poison and Burning do too little damage, nor do they stack with any other conditions. And Paralyze..honestly I don't even know what the fuck it does, as I've paralyzed enemies before and it seems to do nothing besides slightly slow the enemies movement. Too bad it doesn't hinder their ability to dodge, making it pointless.

edited April 2012
    i'm not entirely sure what confuse does but if i had to guess it would be the times where my reticle got all messed up for a few seconds.

whats it do

does anyone have an aquarius blade? I've never seen one but apparently they exist.

iowa on
    So ABXY to move on ground areas feels fine but I switch back over to the circle pad/stylus option on flight areas.

FU7kFbw.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    i'm not entirely sure what confuse does but if i had to guess it would be the times where my reticle got all messed up for a few seconds.

whats it do

does anyone have an aquarius blade? I've never seen one but apparently they exist.

You have to find the zodiac chamber that contains one to unlock them. They're pretty awesome as they have a natural freezing effect.

pHWHd2G.jpg
    phoenix arm
    value: 260
    range 6 stars
    melee: 4 stars
    health +1
    speed +1
    side dash cont fire +1
    overall defense -4
    forward dash ch shot +1
    in peril attack boost +1

i want to craft this so bad but the overall defense -4 is killing it for me.

saw a guy with aquarius blade
    6 star melee
    melee combo +3

daaaang

when it says 'power attack +4' whats that actually mean

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    when it says 'power attack +4' whats that actually mean

I assume that means actual Powers. Stuff like Mega Laser, Meteor Shower, etc.

edited April 2012
    I'm pretty sure Power Attack is your big attack, in other words not the little autofire one but the one you have to let charge up for a second.

Stuff like Meteor Shower I had assumed was affected by Item Attack.

EDIT: Hmm, but item attack could refer to items you pick up off the ground...you're probably right.

UncleSporky on
    That's Charge shot I think.

• SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's Charge Shot.

Power attack is for your powers, while there are 4 different charge shot modifiers, Standing, Side, Backwards, and Dash.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Pit's first comment on Space Pirates is excellent.

"Space Pirates? That's awesome! I mean, evil!"

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I just love Pit's post-boss yells. "Destructionated!"

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    edited April 2012

"Calamaried!"

Dracil on
    Just tried the first stage on Level 9 difficulty.

Got through the stage itself just fine but was bumped all the way to level 6 by the time I beat twin bellows.

FU7kFbw.png
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I think my favorite quote from the game is
    Viridi: You're as destructive as a hundred reset bombs!
    Pit: Maybe. But I'M destroying evil! It's totally different. Look it up.

Just wrapped up single player.

Gonna play some other stuff for a while and then come back in a few weeks and dig into multiplayer mode and start trying to finish stages on higher difficulties.

As someone who could never finish the Brawl challenges board because of the Very Hard boss runs, I don't think I'll be able to get 9.0s across the board, but I'll definitely give it a go.

FU7kFbw.png
    Just wrapped up single player.

Gonna play some other stuff for a while and then come back in a few weeks and dig into multiplayer mode and start trying to finish stages on higher difficulties.

As someone who could never finish the Brawl challenges board because of the Very Hard boss runs, I don't think I'll be able to get 9.0s across the board, but I'll definitely give it a go.
    Did you let the game sit on the end screen after the credits?

Like in Brawl, doing Boss Battles on Hard seems like the toughest thing to do. Clearing every stage on 9.0 is doable... maybe.

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »

"Calamaried!"
    Pit: "IN YOUR ROCK FACE!!!"
    Viridi: "That's your idea of a victory taunt?!?"
    I brought a nice Crusader Blade on sale for 11,000 - it's only two stars in range and melee, but has a lot of nice bonuses like extra shot range, which is very nice. Give me range on a weapon any day.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Has anyone figured out how much the stars add to the base damage?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out how much the stars add to the base damage?

It seems to depend on the weapon. Or some other hard-to-predict factors. Also, it doesn't seem to be a linear increase. The best I can tell you is that each half-star adds between 10% and 15% to the base damage. One weapon I measured added exactly 12.5% per half-star for the first few stars (each compounded with the ones before it) but it didn't continue that way.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So weird. I crafted a 6 range orb and a 6 melee claw. Each does a lot of damage, but when I tried to fuse them together they became 3/3. :p

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    You go to a crazy event like PAX, you bring home 150 gems in your pocket! Though some of the have question marks.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png