As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    It's funny, I hadn't thought about it like that. Yeah, I guess it is actually pretty Fubar that that open beta samplers get to reserve names in perpetuity.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I thought that the Open Beta characters wouldn't be wiped for people who pre-ordered the game, but would for everyone else. I don't know why I think that, but maybe I'll go digging around to see if I can find a citation.

Edit: After looking through the 'Tera Answers' page, it looks like in fact there will be absolutely no wipe at all after Open Beta. Which means all the name squatters could prove to be a real issue.

Toxic Pickle on
  • TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I thought that the Open Beta characters wouldn't be wiped for people who pre-ordered the game, but would for everyone else. I don't know why I think that, but maybe I'll go digging around to see if I can find a citation.

Edit: After looking through the 'Tera Answers' page, it looks like in fact there will be absolutely no wipe at all after Open Beta. Which means all the name squatters could prove to be a real issue.

They said they're going to have some means of freeing up names of people who don't buy the game after OB.

TheRealDestian on
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    The TERA people have been fairly open and responsive. I think a few people mentioning concerns on their forums might get their notice and maybe have them announce whatever plan they have for dealing with those.

(I hope)

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
    I posted the question on Tera Answers, and someone (who I don't believe to be official) responded with much the same answer as what you all are saying... that EME will wait a month and then wipe the beta characters of those who have not purchased subscriptions.

It seems like a pretty fair way to go, but of course it would be nice to know for sure.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I am honestly about 90% for this. Its honestly a fun decision, not quite a rational one, but fun as all hell, which in all honesty, makes me think better of eme.

Keep in mind, this game has been out OVER A YEAR in Korea. Shits done. They essentially took the extra year to bend over backwards for the NA audience over the Poopori controversy, as well as pretty much re-tweak the ENTIRE GAME for us, eliminating at least some of the more flustrating Korean rng bullshit that Bluehole put in the game.

Now all of their descisions might not be right(see: pvp servers second zone after nub island at official release.), but goddamn, you can at least admire the effort and attempt to make this game good for us.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I am honestly about 90% for this. Its honestly a fun decision, not quite a rational one, but fun as all hell, which in all honesty, makes me think better of eme.

Keep in mind, this game has been out OVER A YEAR in Korea. Shits done. They essentially took the extra year to bend over backwards for the NA audience over the Poopori controversy, as well as pretty much re-tweak the ENTIRE GAME for us, eliminating at least some of the more flustrating Korean rng bullshit that Bluehole put in the game.

Now all of their descisions might not be right(see: pvp servers second zone after nub island at official release.), but goddamn, you can at least admire the effort and attempt to make this game good for us.

I'll admit i'm in the dark on the Popori controversy. Why did people have a problem with the Popori and what did EME do to appease them?

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    He means the Elin "oh noes, little girls in skimpy clothes" shenanigans.

Glal wrote: »

Ohhhh, Ok that makes sense then.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."

No, the "poopori" issue involved removing the monkey popori because of their "idle animation"...

No, the "poopori" issue involved removing the monkey popori because of their "idle animation"...

O.o there were monkey Popori? What was their idle animation?

delphinidaes.png

I'm joking, but the way he called them "poopori" warranted a follow-up joke. ;)

I'm joking, but the way he called them "poopori" warranted a follow-up joke. ;)

Damn I was hoping that was really a thing. :D

delphinidaes.png
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »

Nice.

I may actually take up some crafting! I like that anyone can gather anything and it isn't a money sink, but encouraged because of buffs gathering gives.

Weaponsmithing and Armorsmithing sound good to me!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited April 2012
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Nice.

I may actually take up some crafting! I like that anyone can gather anything and it isn't a money sink, but encouraged because of buffs gathering gives.

Weaponsmithing and Armorsmithing sound good to me!

TBH, crafting is probably one of the things that needs the most revamp.

The problem is that the rune drop rates aren't very good so you wind up with tons of ore but nowhere near enough runes to make things and runes go for a small fortune on the AH.

I've heard they're revamping crafting in KTera so I'm guessing we'll see that soon. Minus the rune drop issue, crafting is generally fine, though.

TheRealDestian on
    edited April 2012
    I was watching videos and reading articles about the game today and let my eyes wander to the comments sections (bad idea I know) I was surprised to see how many people that claim to have played the game complaining about "grind". Grind from quests specifically and I have to wonder if they were playing the same game. "Plain" or standard is now the same as "grindy" apparently and it really makes me hate the fact that "grind" has somehow become this blanket term used in gaming that people toss towards anything that isn't rewarding them every ten seconds for doing shit like breathing and being able to spell their own names right.

I'm not saying we shouldn't want better than that and should just accept it, games are evolving all the time.

Maybe I'm just being cranky.

Beezel on
    I was watching videos and reading articles about the game today and let my eyes wander to the comments sections (bad idea I know) I was surprised to see how many people that claim to have played the game complaining about "grind". Grind from quests specifically and I have to wonder if they were playing the same game. "Plain" or standard is now the same as "grindy" apparently and it really makes me hate the fact that "grind" has somehow become this blanket term used in gaming that people toss towards anything that isn't rewarding them every ten seconds for doing shit like breathing and being able to spell their own names right.

Yeah people don't remember what a grind actually is. I remember back in RO I would spend hours upon hours just farming little slime guys. Just over and over and over and over. Then once I reached a certain level I would move over a zone and spend hours upon hours killing the next type of monster.

delphinidaes.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Or Everquest. Sitting around in a group, killing Orcs/Treants/Hill Giants.

Videos I've seen of Tera gameplay don't look grindy at all.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless

Yeah people don't remember what a grind actually is. I remember back in RO I would spend hours upon hours just farming little slime guys. Just over and over and over and over. Then once I reached a certain level I would move over a zone and spend hours upon hours killing the next type of monster.

Well yeah, back then it was like. "The fuck is a quest?" Then the "Bring me 10 Yak Dicks!" became the standard model. And it's been that way for a long time. People try to dress it up and make it less obvious but I think the only way you're really going to get rid of that particular model is to somehow...I dunno...get rid of levels or something. People, for whatever reason are conditioned to like watching bars fill and I have no idea why.

Well yeah, back then it was like. "The fuck is a quest?" Then the "Bring me 10 Yak Dicks!" became the standard model. And it's been that way for a long time. People try to dress it up and make it less obvious but I think the only way you're really going to get rid of that particular model is to somehow...I dunno...get rid of levels or something. People, for whatever reason are conditioned to like watching bars fill and I have no idea why.

This is one of the reasons I still love Eve Online even tough it's too hardcore for my play stile. You kill rats to get money or items, but for me it was mostly for fun since I was primarily a miner (a miner, guess I need to play Elin in Tera waka waka!) and didn't need to kill anything to "level up".

Didn't people earlier in this thread admit that the quests are worse then most MMOs, but the actual killing of mobs is fun, and at least Tera realises using a Bear Ass Collector to collect Bear Asses is really annoying compare to a Kill X Bears quest.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Any word on when the beta for the weekend will begin today? I checked, but it's clearly still too early.

Though, something funny I noticed is that they're giving me a choice between Tera 1, 2 and 3. My first beta was 2 weeks ago, and I got the re-invite for this weekend last week, so not sure why there's an extra one. I don't know which to choose!

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I'm assuming normal time, 3est, 12pst.

• SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    Any word on when the beta for the weekend will begin today? I checked, but it's clearly still too early.

Though, something funny I noticed is that they're giving me a choice between Tera 1, 2 and 3. My first beta was 2 weeks ago, and I got the re-invite for this weekend last week, so not sure why there's an extra one. I don't know which to choose!

It'll most likely be Tera 3. Tera 1 and 2 will be earlier CBT's and you won't be allowed to log in using those.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition

I'm not saying we shouldn't want better than that and should just accept it, games are evolving all the time.

These people are probably lying.

I've noticed a lot of trolls who will make "generic complaints" about Tera that can be said without playing the game, such as "the questing is bad", "I don't like the controls", etc. Generally complaints they've heard and could make without having played the game and still sound legit.

I usually probe them with further questions and they run away after that. :)

Man I still remember back in Elementary school, having to grind letters for weeks just to learn how to spell my name.

And you think that the game shouldn't reward me for that?

How dare you, sir.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    There are trolls in every MMO who are just out to denigrate no matter what, just as there are company "promoters" (read: undercover shills) who gloss over everything, for every MMO.

You should always take every person who is passionate about an MMO either way, ESPECIALLY prior to launch, with heapings of salt. There is unfortunately more than enough people out there willing to lie for either money or just because they like seeing things burn.

As an aside on the corporate shills thing, talking about over on 4chan and the like a few days ago in our industry thread, kinda pisses me off. Mostly because a non-zero amount of people admitted to having done that as a job in the past, and a cursory search around after reading that shows it's considered an acceptable practice among many companies. Speaking as a consumer, no, no it is not. I really wasn't aware of how pervasive it is, and I find it very upsetting that a tactic that is usually reserved for bad politics has somehow worked it's way into the games industry.

If a shill starts saying things about competitors' games (effectively a hired troll), would that get them into legal trouble? Or would it only be if they made false claims about a product (such as sticking to stuff like "the UI sucks" or "it's buggy" which are hard to nail down in court)?

Astale wrote: »
    There are trolls in every MMO who are just out to denigrate no matter what, just as there are company "promoters" (read: undercover shills) who gloss over everything, for every MMO.

You should always take every person who is passionate about an MMO either way, ESPECIALLY prior to launch, with heapings of salt. There is unfortunately more than enough people out there willing to lie for either money or just because they like seeing things burn.

As an aside on the corporate shills thing, talking about over on 4chan and the like a few days ago in our industry thread, kinda pisses me off. Mostly because a non-zero amount of people admitted to having done that as a job in the past, and a cursory search around after reading that shows it's considered an acceptable practice among many companies. Speaking as a consumer, no, no it is not. I really wasn't aware of how pervasive it is, and I find it very upsetting that a tactic that is usually reserved for bad politics has somehow worked it's way into the games industry.

If a shill starts saying things about competitors' games (effectively a hired troll), would that get them into legal trouble? Or would it only be if they made false claims about a product (such as sticking to stuff like "the UI sucks" or "it's buggy" which are hard to nail down in court)?

My theory is that most of the anti-Tera trolls are GW2 fanboys since GW2 fanboys seem to have a huge grudge with Tera for reasons I don't understand.

I've not seen anyone who I'd believe is a corporate shill. There are still some weak points to Tera, especially in the questing and crafting, but having played it, I can safely say the combat system makes all of that irrelevant for me, especially when WoW's biggest weakness for me is the combat, which IMHO should be the strongest point of any MMO since it's the main focus.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    GW2 and TERA are the only real "fantasy MMO" competition is the best guess I have. Can't be mechanics, those are pretty different.

• DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm a huge GW2 fanboy. I am incredibly excited about Tera. *shrug*

Honestly, though, when I first played it, I didn't entirely care for it. The combat was fun, but the questing in the newbie area was a little confusing (I had apparently missed a quest chain that was supposed to bring me to the dark and spooky area), so I was stuck at level 8 with no quests that I could find.

I've since gone back and figured out the quest chain in the newbie area and gotten more comfortable with the game and mechanics and whatnot, so now I've gone from a passing interest to no interest back up to full interest. The UI isn't too bad, and I actually really, really like the controls. I haven't gotten a character past 17 or so yet, so I can't speak to how grindy the game is (I've also never done any BAMs, which are apparently one of the most enjoyable parts of the game to people).

Honestly, whenever I see someone that is on the extremes either for or against the game, they probably have some valid points, if you can peel back the layers of nonsense it's bured beneath.

Edit: There is one thing I still don't care for with Tera: monthly subscriptions. That stuff is getting harder and harder to justify with my gaming backlog the way it is right now.

DiamondGFX on
    ain't got one
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Anyone else seeing the launcher throw a windows error trying to run EMEversioncheck.exe?

Just started after the patch from yesterday.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
    Also, I have 3 keys to give away if anyone needs 'em.

EU people can't play in the US CBT5 right?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    Not unless you get a NA CBT5 code and have an account made on the NA site

edited April 2012
    Alright so I finally broke down and did the pre-order thing. EME has won me over so much that I actually even ponied up the extra $10 bucks for the digital collector's, as that lion mount looks pretty damn sweet.

Despite my earlier attempts at avoiding it, I think I probably will play in the Closed Beta this weekend, because the itch has just been getting impossible to ignore. What made it worse is that I recently bought Kingdoms of Amalur, and the combat in that game just reminds me of TERA way too much. I need my fix, man.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    So I'm going to give this a try over the weekend. I'm still enjoying TOR but my fantasy itch is bothering me, enough to consider giving WoW another shot.

From what I've read, Priests are a good soloing class and good group support, and Lancers are "stand still and poke things with a big stick" Tank, which fits my play style just fine.

I just need to decide which is the High Elf and which is the Castanic.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Both are Popori.

I like the cut of Toxic Pickle's jib

Anyone know of a youtube video of the Lion mount? I don't seem to be able to find one. I had assumed they just took some special mount from the Korean version, but I'm beginning to think it's an entirely new mount.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    Both are Popori.

Nope.

acpRlGW.jpg
This discussion has been closed.