As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, April 6, 2012 - Reunification

2»

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Man, I dunno. This is like, what, the third or fourth comic that re-uses this exact same joke? It's funnier because they've moved from homoeroticism to just having the characters be gay?

"Being gay" isn't the joke, though

"Loving a piece of technology so much that you would open-mouth kiss another man" is the joke

In fact if they actually were gay, there wouldn't be any joke

• Options
    ragnarhedinragnarhedin Registered User regular
    Great strip. Bold and very well handled.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    Man, I dunno. This is like, what, the third or fourth comic that re-uses this exact same joke? It's funnier because they've moved from homoeroticism to just having the characters be gay?

"Loving a piece of technology so much that you would open-mouth kiss another man" is the joke

No, he doesn't love the iphone so much it drives him to kiss a dude. They're constantly drawing a parallel between Gabe's attraction to Apple products, which are the forbidden fruit for his nerdy, anti-Mac background, and the forbidden fruit of homoeroticism. It was originally a result of reproducing a scene from the movie American Beauty, but they’ve redone the joke a couple of times.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Ha, how coincidental. I just decided a few days ago that I am going to get an iPhone, and for the exact same reason.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    So you can kiss Charles?

• Options
    jerkjerk Registered User new member
    WP7 does have some great things (the People hub, mainly), but it's so lacking in decent apps that I got bored of it within a week and went back to my iPhone. I've done the same thing with Android several times in the past 4 years, but those experiences usually only last a couple of days before I go back to iOS. The lack of apps weren't the final straw for me and WP7, the mail client was. Its handling of image attachments (it won't display them inline) is such a pain in the ass (try viewing an email with more than 3 image attachments without getting frustrated.) I also like that iOS now has rich text formatting (which WP7s [and most Android phones'] native mail client currently lacks.)

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    So you can kiss Charles?

Indeed. Licky-style.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    Tashern wrote: »
    This had to be some sort of fetish for someone out there.

That one dude is gonna be so pleased when he sees that this exists.

And he'll probably expand on it.

I'll bet he will...

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    There's already, like, a "sexy" Gabe and Tycho tumblr. Gabe linked it once on his Twitter. I'm sure this comic will make them very happy.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    August 1st. I'm too lazy to count the days, so I just constantly repeat the date that I can renew my phone contract and change phones to an iPhone.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    bugjarbugjar that smutty ho Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    There's already, like, a "sexy" Gabe and Tycho tumblr. Gabe linked it once on his Twitter. I'm sure this comic will make them very happy.

you are not wrong ♥

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    From the newspost:
    Tycho wrote:
    It’s true; Gabriel has returned to the fold. He actively prefers almost everything about the Windows Phone he had - it has the cohesion he feels is missing from Android, and the “active tiles” or whatever those things are on the start screen can reveal data without having to drill down every time, which the iPhone’s app-centric user experience demands.

At the end of the day, though, he couldn’t do without the ecosystem that surrounds the Apple product. He’d purchased the new iPad to act as a kind of App steam valve, and the breadth he saw on there (after a year away) startled him. He woke, then, as though from a dark dream.

This is the interesting thing to me. He prefers WP7, but for the ecosystem of third-party apps. I can't really speak to this; I only just upgraded from my old dumbphone to a Windows 7 Phone 7 phone. I've so far been more interested in it working as a general organizational doohickey than in apps, so it's not really my use case, and I've never had an Iphone (although Jordyn got one when I got mine), so I can't really honestly compare them or their interface.

I just think it's interesting that Gabe prefers the user experience on the Microsoft product to that of the Apple product. How many years was "I prefer the interface on this one, but lots of my software is only available on that one" the story on the desktop?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I AM A FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE OF MICROSOFT CORPORATION. ANY OPINIONS EXPRESSED HEREIN ARE MY OWN, AND NOT THOSE OF MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUBSIDIARIES OR AFFLIATES. ANY LIKENESS TO ANY PERSONS OR EVENTS, LIVING OR DEAD, ARE COINCIDENTAL. THIS DISCLAIMER NOT TO BE REMOVED UNDER PENALTY OF LAW EXCEPT BY THE END CONSUMER. THIS TELECAST IS COPYRIGHTED BY THE NFL FOR THE PRIVATE USE OF OUR AUDIENCE. ANY OTHER USE OF THIS TELECAST, OR OF ANY PICTURES, DESCRIPTIONS, OR ACCOUNTS OF THE GAME WITHOUT THE NFL'S CONSENT IS PROHIBITED.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    bugjar wrote: »

you are not wrong ♥
    I just found the Tumblr.

They have already added a follow-up scene to it.

Surprisingly well done, art-wise.

Edit:
    Oh shiz, it was bugjar.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    @Framling - I realized a few days ago, when I was looking at iPhones, that the reason I want an iPhone is exactly the same reason my home computer is Windows. The things I want to play/use are on a certain platform. Only the popularity of the platform really matters in the end. It's VHS and betamax all over again.

• Options
    druuimaidruuimai Registered User new member
    fcec94ca-5997-420d-b2b9-1a3d72eb6dd1.png

I didn't see that third panel coming! hah.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    bugjar wrote: »

you are not wrong ♥
    I just found the Tumblr.

They have already added a follow-up scene to it.

Surprisingly well done, art-wise.

Edit:
    Oh shiz, it was bugjar.

Warning: The deviantart shit cannot be unseen.

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    @Framling - I realized a few days ago, when I was looking at iPhones, that the reason I want an iPhone is exactly the same reason my home computer is Windows. The things I want to play/use are on a certain platform. Only the popularity of the platform really matters in the end. It's VHS and betamax all over again.

That's basically why Jordyn wanted one. She really reeeeeally wanted that app where characters from ME3 send you text messages.

Meanwhile, I wanted something that would help me get my shit together, organizationally speaking, in as streamlined a way as possible.

So far, I'd say we both got what we were looking for.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    Framling wrote: »

That's basically why Jordyn wanted one. She really reeeeeally wanted that app where characters from ME3 send you text messages.

Meanwhile, I wanted something that would help me get my shit together, organizationally speaking, in as streamlined a way as possible.

So far, I'd say we both got what we were looking for.

That ME3 app is what pushed me over the edge, no question. But there were other apps before that (like Decide-o-tron, and a few apps my sister told me about that I wanted at the time but had to forget about when I realized they were iPhone exclusive). If it were just one app, I could suck it up. The fact that this keeps happening made me realize that I want the platform.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Do you ever watch a handle get banned and wonder, "What in the fuck was going on there?"

Clicking on his name and checking the infraction reveals that it was an alt account. I'm guessing that's frowned upon. Though in between the time you posted, and the time I posted, you probably figured this out already.

On topic: More like Gaybe!

Also: Gabe represents Mike. Charles represents Apple products. Mike, a PC Windows nerd, buying Apple products is shown in the strip as Gabe having a secret, steamy relationship with Charles. Forbidden fruit and what have you.

Again, most people probably figured that out already, making my entire post reduntant.

Imaginary postcount +1?

Skwigelf on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    As a Blackberry user I just stand at the back of the room and raise my eyebrow.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Harrier wrote: »
    As a Blackberry user I just stand at the back of the room and raise my eyebrow.

Watching Gabe and Charles, trying to learn how make a proper human interface.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

No, he doesn't love the iphone so much it drives him to kiss a dude. They're constantly drawing a parallel between Gabe's attraction to Apple products, which are the forbidden fruit for his nerdy, anti-Mac background, and the forbidden fruit of homoeroticism. It was originally a result of reproducing a scene from the movie American Beauty, but they’ve redone the joke a couple of times.

And yet, despite your protests, it continues to be funny.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    outcast341outcast341 Registered User new member
    I found this awesome and disturbing at the same time.