As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Western Animation thread

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I was most bothered by their insistence of giving every villain a new(and lame) backstory.

Ah, the Neogenic Recombinator. Trying to merge radiation with genetics. 8->

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Personally, my biggest beef with 90s Spider-Man was hiring TMS, the absolute best in the business at that point, to do the animation -- and completely wasted them. Shitty action, shitty editing, zero retakes*, etc.

*Retakes are when the foreign animators don't draw something to the American producers' liking, and are asked to do them over. Retakes are extremely common; even the best studios have to do some -- yet the makers of the 90s Spidey show were too cheap to have them do a single one.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Huh, I had no idea that Pendleton Ward & the Lone Sausage guys (aka Dr. Tran) were working on a web series, "Bravest Warriors." Bunch of concept art and a comic over on the Frederator blog.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I loved 90's Spider-Man as a kid, but I don't remember anything about it now (that's probably for the best).

Maybe I could make a game of it. Take a drink every time it makes me angry.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I watched it through recently with a friend who had only seen one or two episodes and yeah, 90's spiderman isn't perfect or anything.

It does have great moments though, which is more then I can say for every spiderman project after it.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The thing that always bugged me about 90s Spider-Man is that Peter Parker was about six foot six with a barrel chest and gigantic chin. Even as a kid I thought that didn't seem right.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I watched it through recently with a friend who had only seen one or two episodes and yeah, 90's spiderman isn't perfect or anything.

It does have great moments though, which is more then I can say for every spiderman project after it.

Their Venom was the best I've seen in animation. Hasn't been topped since. Spec's Venom was pathetic.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

THE MTV SPIDERMAN WAS AMAZING

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!

Their Venom was the best I've seen in animation. Hasn't been topped since. Spec's Venom was pathetic.

What? How do you figure?

What? How do you figure?

Just couldn't take him seriously. He was like a Looney Tune, not an actual threat.

What? How do you figure?

Just couldn't take him seriously. He was like a Looney Tune, not an actual threat.

I dunno, I think he was the first Venom ever depicted that actually had a fully fleshed-out motivation to hate Spidey/Pete with a burning passion. And the slow burn of Eddie's gradually developing animosity was great, especially since it was helped along by Spidey's own screw-ups.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    90's Venom/Eddie Brock actually looked the part of a brutish muscle-headed threat, and not like a lardass dropout who can't even tie his own shoes

Also the theme song ruled hard. That's about as far as I'll defend the show.

Godfather on
    I just don't understand you, Harry.

cloudeagle wrote: »

What? How do you figure?

I dunno, I think he was the first Venom ever depicted that actually had a fully fleshed-out motivation to hate Spidey/Pete with a burning passion. And the slow burn of Eddie's gradually developing animosity was great, especially since it was helped along by Spidey's own screw-ups.

I did like how they portrayed Venom as the real Big Bad in the show. The rest of the villains felt like the snack before the feast.

They also kinda did this in the 90's one as well, which is probably why they had to send his ass to space and then another dimension.

• kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    90s spiderman was my introduction to spiderman as a kid. As such, i have a lot of fond memories of it. The crossover with the xmen series as well as the ironman series was also pretty cool. I will agree that peter looked out of place as a jock though but the voice actor for him was pretty good i thoight

• DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Venom's backstory in 90s Spider-man and subsequently Spectacular Spider-man was awesome.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Spectacular Spider-Man was the single best Spider-Man cartoon, and the 90s show doesn't hold up. I say this as someone who was obsessed with Spider-Man during childhood and would take in any Spider-Man media, including Amazing Friends and Spider-Man Unlimited.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    double post

Antimatter on
    Too bad the art style is awful

Antimatter wrote: »
    Spectacular Spider-Man was the single best Spider-Man cartoon, and the 90s show doesn't hold up. I say this as someone who was obsessed with Spider-Man during childhood and would take in any Spider-Man media, including Amazing Friends and Spider-Man Unlimited.

Spider-Man Unlimited *shudder*

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »

I agree!

Godfather wrote: »

Looks fine to me.

Bedigunz wrote: »

I agree!

It was a shame that cartoon never got past a first season.

• NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Huh, I had no idea that Pendleton Ward & the Lone Sausage guys (aka Dr. Tran) were working on a web series, "Bravest Warriors." Bunch of concept art and a comic over on the Frederator blog.

I'm pretty sure they're looking to make it a full series on CN like adventure time actually. Unless I this changed recently.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »

Looks fine to me.

It is in fact very pretty.

Quire.jpg
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Have you guys seen the Avengers cartoon? It was surprisingly good, I hope they bring it back.

The theme song is incredibly nerve-wracking, but otherwise the show is pretty worthwhile.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    it just started up again last weekend. They fought Doom with the fantastic four

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Have you guys seen the Avengers cartoon? It was surprisingly good, I hope they bring it back.

The theme song is incredibly nerve-wracking, but otherwise the show is pretty worthwhile.

Are you talking about the Avengers cartoon from the '90s? Or the current one?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Sorry the current one. I never watched the 90s version for whatever reason. Especially weird because I watched a bunch of the other superhero cartoons: Xmen, Spider-man, B:TAS and Superman.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig

Sorry the current one. I never watched the 90s version for whatever reason.

Probably because it was mind-meltingly horrible. Marvel set it in the future for no apparent reason other than Batman Beyond was popular at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLD1yq7eVoY

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

You think it's bad, you should hear how they hacked it up and added narration for season 2.

edited April 2012
    Shadowen wrote: »

You think it's bad, you should hear how they hacked it up and added narration for season 2.

If he saw the last few episodes of season 1 on Disney XD, he would've seen that opening.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

Sorry the current one. I never watched the 90s version for whatever reason. Especially weird because I watched a bunch of the other superhero cartoons: Xmen, Spider-man, B:TAS and Superman.

You didn't miss anything. It was worse then Spider-man Unlimited.

You didn't miss anything. It was worse then Spider-man Unlimited.

Most people probably don't remember it because it only lasted 13 episodes between October 1999 and February 2000.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Why was that night sold out? WHY?

Also met the crew and they lived up to my impossibly high expectations.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    MrDapper wrote: »

Context?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »

Context?

Wrong thread! Tired after a night of PAXing.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Didn't they deliberately downplay the Avengers' big three of the time, as evidenced by the intro? Was there a reason given?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Wikipedia says that licensing issues prevented them from being used initially so the staff based the show off the east coast avengers.

Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.