As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old Good Old Games thread. Fine the new Good Old Games thread. [GOG.com]

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I like Blood, picked it up when it was on sale.

Plenty of fun and just crazy enough that it works.

Still mostly use GOG as a RPG repository though. I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have my Planescape, Neverwinter, Baldur's Gate, The Witcher, Septerra Core, Fallout, and Zork all in one place.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Also, how are the wing commander games and freespace without a stick? My dad use to love flight games. I remember him buying a badass Microsoft stick and both decents (? Made by the iD I believe. Maybe it was freespace o_O) and loving those games, but has no flight stick now

Freespace I would be dubious on, but I know for a fact that the Wing Commander games play fine with a keyboard. That's all I had back in the day.

Freespace is serviceable with a keyboard. That's how I rolled back in the day.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    BLOOD exceeded my Stupid Game threshold so badly that I needed to create a seperate meter just to measure how stupid BLOOD was.

Needs explanation badly. o_O

• Options
    Also, I don't know why, but I want Haegemonia Gold.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Blood is good fun, just need to lower the difficulty to reduce the "lol oneshotted" nature of the messed up weapon balance. Though I stopped after a few episodes because the levels just became uninspired Doom-like scifi industrial complex bollocks, rather than the awesome insane ones.

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    It won't stop there. You'll decide that hey, I should buy Descent. Then Blood. Oh hey, there's Duke Nukem 3D. And look at that, Independence War, I heard about that game. It sounded really cool...

Etc.

Oh, it WILL stop. For now. Because they don't have Apogee's stuff on there. The day Jill of the Jungle, Jazz Jackrabbit, Dare to Dream, One must Fall, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, etc go onto GoG, I will spend so much money..

One Must Fall 2097, you mean. You don't really want the other one.

....Or do you?

You know, when I was a kid, I actually downloaded the original OMF off of a BBS. This was long before 2097 released. In fact, when 2097 came out, I passed on playing the shareware version for a while (even though I had the disk) because I thought it was the same thing as the original.

But yes, I meant 2097.

EDIT: Hey! That wiki article claims that epic released OMF 2097 as freeware a few years ago, but omf.com is no longer around. Holy shit, anyone know where I can find a mirror?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    OMF 2097 is so good

• Options
    edited April 2012
    OMF 2097 is so good

The theme music is playing in my head right now

EDIT: Everything Epic and Apogee put out around that time was incredible. The two best pre-3D PC developers by a goddamn mile. I would kill for their back libraries to be on GoG. remember Epic Pinball? I have the full version, but I didn't order it. rather I bought it, 2 tables at a time, through a promotion at blockbuster video where they'd give you full boxed demos containing 2 tables every time you rented 2 movies or more. Over the span of several weeks, I wound up with the full version of the game.

EnigmaFront.jpg

Enigma and Cyber Girl were my 2 favorite tables in that game.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    OMF 2097 is so good

Now it's playing in mine!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    OMF 2097 is so good

With the lightning strike sound effects?

We're having a moment.

EDIT: So everybody can enjoy it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckj-A2eoXuo

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    OMF 2097 is so good

EDIT: Everything Epic and Apogee put out around that time was incredible. The two best pre-3D PC developers by a goddamn mile. I would kill for their back libraries to be on GoG. remember Epic Pinball? I have the full version, but I didn't order it. rather I bought it, 2 tables at a time, through a promotion at blockbuster video where they'd give you full boxed demos containing 2 tables every time you rented 2 movies or more. Over the span of several weeks, I wound up with the full version of the game.
    EnigmaFront.jpg

I practically have the Zone 66 theme memorized.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    BLOOD exceeded my Stupid Game threshold so badly that I needed to create a seperate meter just to measure how stupid BLOOD was.

Yeah, I'm still waiting on this one too.

So I've never played any HoMM games. Which on should I get if I only get one?

I'm going to be at my parents all next week, and away from my gaming PC. So I need a game that can run on their email machine.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Zone66! Damn, that was some good times.

Also, I now need the OMF soundtrack. I had completely forgotten how awesome it is.

• Options
    OMF 2097 is so good

EnigmaFront.jpg

I practically have the Zone 66 theme memorized.

Oh man, I need to find my copies and install them in dos box. I remember that was during that time period when Blockbuster was really awesome - around the same time they had that promotion, they also gave away free copies of Christmas NiGHTS. The Epic Pinball promotion always seemed weird to me... it was so random. Blockbuster giving away small chunks of an order-only PC game? When they didn't even sell PC titles? I didn't care though, because I rented movies from there every friday night anyways (along with picking up a little caesar's pizza next door) so it meant more games for me.

• Options
    OMF 2097 is so good

We're having a moment.

BIG9

It's the only way to play

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Oh man, I had no idea Epic was involved in this, I spent so much time playing this as a kid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWM7KZ5X5qY

OH GOD JETPACK
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHGIoYDV8fg

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I remember downloading FAQs for OMF 2097 and printing them out on my dot matrix reem-fed printer. There were hidden characters in that game, and secret moves. There were also rumors of a fatality, but much like the undertaker's fatality in WWF: The Arcade game, I could never pull it off.

EDIT: Ha! I just looked it up on youtube, and apparently both rumors were true!

OMF 2097 fatalities:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ejlpHBj5s

WWF Wrestlemania the arcade game, Undertaker's fatality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IC0gSVy4QU

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    haha, dot matrix printers

man, I remember using one of those things until the damn Pentium era

• Options
    I remember downloading FAQs for OMF 2097 and printing them out on my dot matrix reem-fed printer. There were hidden characters in that game, and secret moves. There were also rumors of a fatality, but much like the undertaker's fatality in WWF: The Arcade game, I could never pull it off.

Oh yeah, I did the scrap and destruction moves all the time. They gave you a pretty big score bonus, which translated to more money in the career mode. Plus, they looked awesome.

There were tons of hidden characters, as well. Fire and Ice were tough as hell (I think I got to Ice once). Did you ever fight Jazz Jackrabbit, Eva Earlong, or Devan Shell? There were even more. It's crazy how much they packed into that game.

• Options
    Oh man, Jetpack. Incredible nostalgia right there.

Anyone remember Kye? It was a game that came out around the time Windows 3.1 was released. Really simple game, with a level editor and like 1000 stages:

kye.png

There's apparently a super fan on the internet who has made an open source version which supports the original level files (which were just text files renamed .lev lol) and a ton of level packs.

Man I love the internet.

And on the subject of my reem-fed dot matrix printer... it is an epson, and it still works. That thing is built like a fucking tank. I remember printing out binders full of moves and strategies when MK2 came out and taking them with me to the arcades. I'd buy magainzes with screen shots and cut them out and tape them onto the pages to make my own strategy guides...

awesome memories. I wish I still had the time to learn fighting games like that.

• Options
    Sadly I don't know about Kye, but that does remind me a lot of Chip's Challenge.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Sadly I don't know about Kye, but that does remind me a lot of Chip's Challenge.

Ha. Chip's Challenge. I remember that one.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    OMF 2097 is so good

We're having a moment.

I fuckin love that era of game mod music and their lofi charms. Grungy, low-ass resolution samples errday.

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    OMF 2097 is so good

We're having a moment.

I fuckin love that era of game mod music and their lofi charms. Grungy, low-ass resolution samples errday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQSsq7HCNHw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO0FNmzJ_-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmRsK99TPDs

Me too!

• Options
    Guys, it's all about Turian's soundtrack.

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »

I'm going to be at my parents all next week, and away from my gaming PC. So I need a game that can run on their email machine.

Anyone? Which one should I go for?

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Guys, it's all about Turian's soundtrack.

Yeah, lets bring this back around to dos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZq0euNTO0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POMqbGEJ54g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlWDSvNSzlA

• Options

HoMM 3 is considered by most to be the best in the series. You would probably be best to go for that one. It's plenty old enough to have no problem on their machine, unless they're using a 486 as a Juno box.

• Options
    AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    The new Amanita Design (Machinarium, Samorost) game is up for pre-order. I'm not sure if there's a reason for preordering but I grabbed it anyways.
    http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/botanicula

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Having played them all at the time of release (and Kings Bounty - the old one - before HOMM1) I would rank them as follows (from best to worst)

Heroes 3
    Heroes 6
    Heroes 2
    Heroes 5
    Heroes 1
    Heroes 4

I thought 5 was a nice improvment over 4 but it's characters and campaign felt pretty flat compared to 2-3. Overall, I think 3 is a good starting point. It's an old game but it's UI and graphics are still appealing today (it's not one you need nostalgia to appreciate). And it comes with a hell of a lot of content in terms of maps and campaigns and such.

Though a quick warning: Heroes 3 has a freaking terrible non-skippable intro movie. Do not judge the game until you get past that! The actual in-game graphics are quite nice and do not resemble that intro movie.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Most of the talk has been about Heroes. What about the regular M&M games? Looks like 7 and 8 are the highlights, and 9 sucks? Are the rather ancient first few games worth a look at all?

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Most of the talk has been about Heroes. What about the regular M&M games? Looks like 7 and 8 are the highlights, and 9 sucks? Are the rather ancient first few games worth a look at all?

I find the high point of the series to be the later 2D era ones (3 and then 4 and 5 which get merged together into a single game called World of Xeen so you can travel back and forth between them).

The 3d ones (6+) are from the early days of 3d and are are pretty crude in their graphics. I find the decent 2d art of 3-5 better most of the time.

That said, in terms of game systems (character customization and such) I think 7 is the most interesting. It's plot ranges from "non existant" to "fucking stupid" but I've still played through it more than once and enjoyed the experience.

What annoyed me about 8 and 9 was that each one offers less character customization than the one before. And the plot is just as silly as always.

Oh also 6 and 7 are really hard right at the start if you don't do exactly the right thing (eg: find the "trick" in each starting area to make getting through the first couple levels worth of XP possible).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    HA! The 360 Ace Combat Flight Stick works with Wing Commander 4. Outfreakingstanding.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Everybody's hating on HoMM IV. Is there something terrible I'm not remembering about it? I remember enjoying it more than HoMM V. It wasn't HoMM III, but I still liked it.

• Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    Everybody's hating on HoMM IV. Is there something terrible I'm not remembering about it? I remember enjoying it more than HoMM V. It wasn't HoMM III, but I still liked it.

I remember Heroes IV being far less broken than Heroes V. Skirmish was unplayable in V since the AI was getting shitloads of resources for free every turn. I would be surprised if they actually coded in a proper, balanced AI with the expansions.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    Apostate wrote: »

my problems with 4 were:
    1) The transition from excellent hand-drawn 2d art to crappy early 3d artwork

2) It was really unstable (perhaps was eventually patched but when I got it it crashed all the time). By the time they were making this game 3d0 was pretty far down the drain and their lack of resources showed.

3) I did not like the way the implemented heroes actually moving around and fighting in the battles (unlike all the other games)

4) Didn't like setting compared to 2 and 3

5) Didn't like the "mesh" like map in battles compared to the hex map of the others

6) A lot fewer unit types and fewer towns than in 3.

All the gameplay problems with 4 they thankfully dropped in 5 and 6.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    It won't stop there. You'll decide that hey, I should buy Descent. Then Blood. Oh hey, there's Duke Nukem 3D. And look at that, Independence War, I heard about that game. It sounded really cool...

Etc.

Oh, it WILL stop. For now. Because they don't have Apogee's stuff on there. The day Jill of the Jungle, Jazz Jackrabbit, Dare to Dream, One must Fall, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, etc go onto GoG, I will spend so much money..

One Must Fall 2097, you mean. You don't really want the other one.

....Or do you?

You know, when I was a kid, I actually downloaded the original OMF off of a BBS. This was long before 2097 released. In fact, when 2097 came out, I passed on playing the shareware version for a while (even though I had the disk) because I thought it was the same thing as the original.

But yes, I meant 2097.

EDIT: Hey! That wiki article claims that epic released OMF 2097 as freeware a few years ago, but omf.com is no longer around. Holy shit, anyone know where I can find a mirror?
    By "a few", you mean almost 10 years ago, right?

• Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    So this is going to sound like an odd question. Do the GOG versions of games work on older OSes? My laptop is definitely in need of repair to run games, but I can't get it repaired until the end of the month. But I do have a Pentium 3 running Window 98... so I could theoretically get BG1 and 2 running on it. I just don't want to waste the time downloading it if it's not going to work.

Artheleron.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    GOG only officially supports Windows XP/Vista/7, so... maybe? Sorry I can't be more helpful

steam_sig.png