As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] Syrup

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited April 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaLN0AH32s

Who feels like hanging out in turntable for a while?

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Ahh, syrup good on my pancakes.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Hahaha, screw you, you Yankee bastards.

Great opening day for the Rays.

both of our starters sucked though, that's my takeaway from the game

4-0 lead after an inning from the rays and they couldn't hold it for even 2 innings. rivera just blew today.

Fair 'nuff. Still feeling good though.

Gonna be a great season.

I tell ya, I've been a Rays fan since they were first made a team and I got my little Devil Rays booklet from the pizza hut book it campaign, and it is great that they don't suck anymore.

oh yeah I'd feel good if the yanks had hung on for sure, didn't mean to take the win away from you just trying to make myself feel a little better :P

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This thread needs more frisbees.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    My column on why governors tend to win presidential nominations got on the Community Spotlight on Daily Kos! I guess I'll start doing them Tuesday-Friday instead of just Friday.

• MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote:
    Just got an e-mail from a student saying she is preggers, going to pop soon, and so will need to take an incomplete for the class.

Kinda pisses me off.

Why?

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
    is it gonna put some shit on my facebook elki

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    is it gonna put some shit on my facebook elki

Maybe. I don't think it would if you tell it not to.

It's pretty sweet, though.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    C'mon, guys, join that room. You get to play whatever music you want, and I'll listen to it. It's like when you post youtubes all over chat, but it'll actually work. We'll start playing once a few people get in there.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    I distrust anything that requires it to be hooked to facebook.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    C'mon, guys, join that room. You get to play whatever music you want, and I'll listen to it. It's like when you post youtubes all over chat, but it'll actually work. We'll start playing once a few people get in there.

I would join but they don't allow us filthy Canucks on there

I clicked log in with facebook 500 times and nothing happened. I gotta get to bed soon anyway but that's something I'd do on another night for sure.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

Your room hates non Americans.

:(

_J_ wrote:
    Just got an e-mail from a student saying she is preggers, going to pop soon, and so will need to take an incomplete for the class.

Kinda pisses me off.

Why?

For the same reason that Sophie C. Currier pissed me off.

Pregnancy oughtn't be an excused absence.

Because condoms.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    _J_ wrote:

Kinda pisses me off.

Why?

Because condoms.

That's idiotic and anti-feminist. Women shouldn't need to set their lives aside if they want to have a child.

Aw, man, I didn't know turntable.fm was US only.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote:

Kinda pisses me off.

Why?

Because condoms.

You're not dumb, you know you're being sexist, knock it off.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I need to sleep. So much running around to be done tomorrow before 11am, it's unseemly.

_J_ wrote:

Kinda pisses me off.

Why?

Because condoms.

_J_ you are being a sexist jerk here.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Aw, man, I didn't know turntable.fm was US only.

If I was at home I could use my VPN but I'm at work so no go

The reasonable articulation is that incompletes only last so many weeks after the term ends. And most new mothers who have done this in the past ended up never completing the work in the designated time because they had a new baby to raise. Given that she's 30+ weeks pregnant, she had to sign up while pregnant.

Basically, she signed up for the class knowing that, if her pregnancy went well, she most likely wouldn't finish the class.

That, to me, seems like an odd thing to do. It's not terrible. But I don't quite understand the thinking that supports such an action.

Though, maybe this student will be an exception to the rule, and after giving birth she'll crack open her ethics book.

Man, I really wish I wasn't completely down on the concept of Pay 2 Play

I really want to give The Secret World a try buuuuuut between Funcom and a monthly fee I cant do it.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    wow _J_ I hope you're kidding

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Still can't decide what I'm going to cosplay as.

I've got the wig for Ezrael.

But if I went as Finn it would fit with Patty's theme (her and her sister are doing Princess Bubblegum and Marceline).

And if I went as Lupin it would fit with Mike's theme (he's going as Jigen).

But I kind of want to go as Raz from psychonauts.

Or I could go as something else?

The reasonable articulation is that incompletes only last so many weeks after the term ends. And most new mothers who have done this in the past ended up never completing the work in the designated time because they had a new baby to raise. Given that she's 30+ weeks pregnant, she had to sign up while pregnant.

Basically, she signed up for the class knowing that, if her pregnancy went well, she most likely wouldn't finish the class.

That, to me, seems like an odd thing to do. It's not terrible. But I don't quite understand the thinking that supports such an action.

Though, maybe this student will be an exception to the rule, and after giving birth she'll crack open her ethics book.

maybe she didn't realize she wouldn't be able to do it?

and then later either she can do it or she'll find she can't and take it from there

Ludious wrote: »
    wow _J_ I hope you're kidding

I'm mostly just venting.

I'll give her the incomplete without a problem. Cause, you know, it would be practically problematic for me to deny her the incomplete. Practically? She gets the incomplete without any questions being asked.

But in principle? It kind of grinds my gears a bit. Not that I'm down on women. I'm down on students signing up for classes the completion of which they take to be optional.

I have the same feeling about other incompletes I have to give out. And my guess is that if I vented about those, I wouldn't be accused of being sexist.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Winky you could go as a someone with self respect and wear slacks, a button up and a tie

you're jumping to conclusions about how she felt when she signed up, J

Winky you could go as a someone with self respect and wear slacks, a button up and a tie

Ludious I happen to dress really nice.

and then later either she can do it or she'll find she can't and take it from there

That's very likely. I've had some friends, and past students, do the same thing. They're going to be the female who can carry a fetus to term and work a job and go to school. But then it doesn't work out because carrying a fetus to term is an incredibly difficult task.

I'm not sure if they underestimate how difficult pregnancy is, or overestimate their own abilitites. Maybe both.

It's just a pet peeve I have.

Winky wrote: »

Winky it was a joke.

you're jumping to conclusions about how she felt when she signed up, J

True. I'm probably making a bad abduction.

Bad, bad abduction! Naughty abduction!

I'm sure in some cases the pet peeve is warranted, and as a teacher it's probably always frustrating

but just... think about how you say things I guess. 'pregnancy ought not be an excuse' isn't going to go over well with lots of people.

I'm turning into an old man. There were teenagers in Wal-Mart tonight with their girlfriends in the buggies and they were running up and down the aisles and drifting around the corners, throwing random shit in their buggies. One of their other friends was riding around in one of the handicapped scooters.

I just wanted to punch them until they stopped feeling.

That's very likely. I've had some friends, and past students, do the same thing. They're going to be the female who can carry a fetus to term and work a job and go to school. But then it doesn't work out because carrying a fetus to term is an incredibly difficult task.

I'm not sure if they underestimate how difficult pregnancy is, or overestimate their own abilitites. Maybe both.

It's just a pet peeve I have.

Pregnancy can be variable on the degree it stresses the body. There are shit tons of factors attached to it. And for some they can work into the 8th month others can't.

Human bodies, pretty damn annoying that way.

u7stthr17eud.png

Winky it was a joke.

Ludious I am aware, and text did not accurately convey my intended tone of "pretending to not look hurt".

And I secretly hoped their night ended in a tragic accident that would later be recounted in a popular pop song.

I'm sure in some cases the pet peeve is warranted, and as a teacher it's probably always frustrating

but just... think about how you say things I guess. 'pregnancy ought not be an excuse' isn't going to go over well with lots of people.

That's fair. My phrasing could have been better.

I need to be more careful / thoughtful when venting.

But the e-mail just showed up and I thought, "God damn it; not again!"

Winky it was a joke.

Ludious I am aware, and text did not accurately convey my intended tone of "pretending to not look hurt".

Winky why do we keep addressing each other in this manner?

That's fair. My phrasing could have been better.

I need to be more careful / thoughtful when venting.

But the e-mail just showed up and I thought, "God damn it; not again!"

I get ya

I'm off to bed for real, goodnight everyone

This discussion has been closed.