As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Hogwolf? Manhog? It was a warehog.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I liked Unleashed actually, except I really don't like any Sonic central hub worlds. Just let me go from world to world with nothing in between. The most I want is an overworld map where I chose my level. The werehog levels were actually fun - just a bit long sometimes.

Lindsay Lohan on
    I liked Unleashed actually, except I really don't like any Sonic central hub worlds. Just let me go from world to world with nothing in between. The most I want is an overworld map where I chose my level. The werehog levels were actually fun - just a bit long sometimes.

Sega seems to have learned this, thankfully. Hell, even the Wii version of Unleashed didn't have a hub.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    No, it's hogwolf technically.

Though a freaky-friday where Eggman and Sonic change places could be fun.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

werewolf = man wolf

So werehog = man hog ;D

Oh brilliant
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    So werehog = man hog ;D
    Stop hogging all the men! Leave some for me!

steam_sig.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

I always thought the daytime stages of Unleashed were incredible. It only made up something like 20% of the playtime, but damn were they good. The speed in those stages was completely nuts, and I felt that pulling back in Colors was a mistake. I loved how crazy the daytime levels became after you upgraded Sonic's speed a few times. I also really, really liked the boost mechanic, in that you had incentive to boost and keep boosting. In Colors I always felt like boost was something I had to save up.

But for all I liked Unleashed, 4 minutes for a daytime stage vs. 40 for a night stage didn't make a compelling complete package. And let's not get started on Eggmanland.

VuIBhrs.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I think I remember Unleashed was touted by Sega as a semi-reboot a la "no, we're actually doing it right this time!"

And then they threw in the hogwolf.

And it was much more fun than folks give it credit for.

Hey, if you get to say iPhone games suck, I get to say the hogwolf sucked.

okwiththis.png

Sega seems to have learned this, thankfully. Hell, even the Wii version of Unleashed didn't have a hub.

Though that was more due to a massively short development time in comparison to the 360/PS3 version than anything, unless I'm mistaken.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The Wii version DID have a hub. Every time I see people say this, I face palm, because all the problems people associate with the hub in the 360 version actually aren't there, but they ARE in the Wii version. In the 360 version, the hub is basically the same thing as the castle in Mario 64 - an interactive map where you go from level to level. to get to one act or the other, you might have to do some light platforming, but that's it.

The wii version has a map-based hub, sorta like Mario World, except this version has fetch quests and all that sort of shit. Like in Holoska - in the 360 version, to get to the first act, you just jump on a few platforms and enter the level marker. In the Wii version, you have to talk to this woman, who says her husband is missing, and then you have to talk to everyone else in the village to make the husband show up, and then you have to talk to the husband who will tell you he's looking for a gift for his daughter, and then you have to talk to the daughter to find out the gift she wants, then you have to talk back to the husband, and then, finally, as a reward for all this, the level marker opens up.

People see the word HUB and don't even inspect what it's all about before criticizing it. Similarly, they see that the wii version has a map, and assume it's mile's better. Both assumptions are wrong.
    Though that was more due to a massively short development time in comparison to the 360/PS3 version than anything, unless I'm mistaken.

They were developed concurrently by different teams. Sonic team developed the 360 version, Dimps developed the Wii version. And no, the oft-repeated claim that sonic team developed the werehog levels in the wii version, and dimps developed the day levels is wrong. Dimps developed the entire wii version themselves.

TheSonicRetard on

The Wii version DID have a hub. Every time I see people say this, I face palm, because all the problems people associate with the hub in the 360 version actually aren't there, but they ARE in the Wii version. In the 360 version, the hub is basically the same thing as the castle in Mario 64 - an interactive map where you go from level to level. to get to one act or the other, you might have to do some light platforming, but that's it.

I ment hub world, my bad.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

I know what you meant. A hub world in and of itself is not inherently bad. And all the problems people have with hub worlds in general are not present in the 360 hubs, but they ARE present in the wii version.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I like hub worlds. One of my favorite parts of Sonic Adventure was running around the city and ruins opening doors, getting powerups, and finding emblems.

I was sad when they removed it from SA2, but I guess it made sense since the story didn't revolve around one small area.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

I know what you meant. A hub world in and of itself is not inherently bad. And all the problems people have with hub worlds in general are not present in the 360 hubs, but they ARE present in the wii version.

My problem was that there was a hub world where you interacted with town's people to progress the story and then went into rooms to find the next level and had to sit through dialogue fairly often. I'm pretty sure those were in the 360 version - but I'm honestly questioning myself because I did play it on both 360/Wii at different times.

I love Sonic's gameplay but I generally hate everything about Sonic storylines because they always feel poorly done. I just wish they would have the characters shut up, run fast and have tons of paths to the end of the levels. This generation I've liked quite a few Sonic games surprisingly but I hope they stick with the Generations formula for another game. I admit, I really liked the Secret Rings too.

My problem was that there was a hub world where you interacted with town's people to progress the story and then went into rooms to find the next level and had to sit through dialogue fairly often. I'm pretty sure those were in the 360 version - but I'm honestly questioning myself because I did play it on both 360/Wii at different times.

You had to talk to one person in the 360 version during the entire game, and that's to find professor pickle early in the game. Every other hub world that had people, you could just walk right past them and onto the levels. The people, in fact, didn't progress the stories, but were there to give you challenges - talk to the hot dog vendor, for example, and he'll give you a hotdog challenge.

The Wii version had you talking to tons, and tons, and tons of people to progress the story and to unlock stages. You can't progress in the wii version until you talk to lots of people. You can ignore them outside of the very early bit in the 360 version where you had to find professor pickle (and then, you were just talking to 1 or 2 people).

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I only ever played the 360 version of Unleashed, and I don't ever remember being irritated by the hub worlds. It was fairly easy to navigate them, and the game even lit up the correct paths on the globe if you didn't know where you had to be. I don't remember the character interactions being onerous. I sort of liked the flavor the hub worlds added to the game, particularly since they went with a much more stylized/cartoonish look for the characters.

Now, unlocking the levels was a whole different story. That sun/moon medal mechanic can take a flying leap, in my opinion. Having to grind back through night stages to harvest the medals was tiresome, to say the least.

VuIBhrs.png
    So people are playing Sonic 4 at PAX right now, and a ton of hands-on information about the game is spilling out. Early word on the game - extremely positive. In a word (or rather, 3 and an initialism): Sonic Generations 3DS physics.

You gain speed when you roll. You gain speed when you're on an incline. You keep momentum when you let go of the gamepad. You jump like you did in the old games. Etc.

Also, SCREENSHOTS FROM EPISODE METAL:

metal02.jpg

Why is this screenshot so significant? Because it shows the new physics in place. First of all, he just rolled off of a ledge and he didn't uncurl. Second, and you can't tell from this screenshot, but he just rolled down an incline and picked up enough speed to shoot him across the gap.

Episode Metal is basically the team's way of cheating and getting a do-over with Episode 1. And everybody who bitched about episode 1 should appreciate that. Word is Metal Sonic will get 4 entirely new acts per zone, too.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Is "Episode Metal" included for free or do you have to own the first episode to play it?

Is "Episode Metal" included for free or do you have to own the first episode to play it?

It's this game's form of Lock-on. When you own Episode 1 and Episode 2, you can "lock on" with one another and play as Metal Sonic in both as one large game, using the new physics through out the entire process.

In reality, it's exactly how lock-on worked in the classic games. Inside of Sonic 4 ep 2 will be the entire episode 1 remade from scratch to work with the new physics. You'll undoubtedly notice a few level layout differences to accommodate these as well.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am quite keen on that, because while I really enjoyed episode 1 the physics annoyed the total fuck out of me and were quite a hindrance for play. Episode 2 is sounding really great, definitely have to dust off episode 1 and play it a bit as well. I still need to get some remaining achievements.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Any word on if there will be a bundle pack with both episodes? Or a discount on Ep 1 when Ep 2 comes out, maybe?

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I do hope this comes out on a disc, the whole thing, as I do have a friend who doesn't download games I'd like to get this for.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    Episode One was rather mediocre in retrospect, but I actually really enjoyed myself on the first playthrough. Lost Labyrinth Zone holds a special place in my heart for being really creative in its design. I really liked the torch puzzles, and the variations on the general theme kept it from being a typical slog of a water level. Bad physics are bad, yes, but aside from that and the reused boss concepts there's not a lot to dislike about that game.

Footage of a full playthrough of Slyvania Castle Zone and White Park Zone, by people who know how to play, which shows off the new physics a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwSDwRlgImE&feature=player_embedded

Now more people are coming forward and the unanimous reaction is that this is much better than episode 1, and much more in-line with how Generations 3DS played (which itself was much more like the classics than the console versions of Generations).

• KoramaKorama Registered User regular

werewolf = man wolf

So werehog = man hog ;D

Please don't take the following personally!
    As someone whose work is in the field of languages, this has always annoyed me. So many people suddenly become etymologists over this rather irrelevant fact about Sonic Unleashed.
    "Were = man, so Werehog = manhog, lolz!" Sure, but so what? Names for animals and other stuff often are quirky. For consistency's sake, you'd also have to go "hedge = bush, hog = pig... Sonic is a bush pig, lolz!"
    Besides, the term "Werehog" has been around long before Unleashed. Maybe "Hogwolf" would be more logical, but it doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

Anyway... yeah, Episode 2, looking better and better.

If you want to see the new physics really shine, look at about 5:55 in that video, where the player is ROLLING AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND for a good length through a couple of loops, gaining speed as he exits each. And he rolls around for several seconds, too.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I think "people who know how to play" is being a little too generous who whoever is playing Sylvania Castle.

I think "people who know how to play" is being a little too generous who whoever is playing Sylvania Castle.

It's the same person. He's trying to speed run Sylvania Castle like you could in Episode 1, only blind.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah Episode 2 seems really solid on controllers. Now I can Spindash AND have momentum!

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Damasca RamzaDamasca Ramza AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to Sonic 4 Episode 2. Sonic 4 Episode 1 was fun despite it's flaws, but it seems SEGA's paying attention to important things like gameplay problems, I haven't played Sonic Generations on the 3DS yet, mainly because I don't have a 3DS, so I don't know how well it plays.

I'm loving the chance to play as Tails again, plus Metal Sonic being playable via DLC? Hell yes. With the gameplay being exciting and not being laggy or sluggish, this is shaping up to be one of the best Sonic games ever. May can't come soon enough.

• übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Finished Generations. Dragon Egg and Time Eater weren't hard, but extremely annoying trying to get in range to attack. Overall a great game. I went from a 17 inch 4:3 display to a calibrated 24 inch widescreen LED backlit one, it was even better.

camo_sig.png
  • NintenNinten Registered User regular
    New kinds of special stages would be nice in EP2.

I hated the special stages in EP1. And on top of that, the music was awful.

übergeek wrote: »
    Finished Generations. Dragon Egg and Time Eater weren't hard, but extremely annoying trying to get in range to attack. Overall a great game. I went from a 17 inch 4:3 display to a calibrated 24 inch widescreen LED backlit one, it was even better.

Egg Dragoon was really awesome, I think, except Sonic's left and right movement suddenly sucks. He barely moves. Other than that it's superb.

Ninten wrote: »
    New kinds of special stages would be nice in EP2.

I hated the special stages in EP1. And on top of that, the music was awful.

Sonic-4-Episode-2-Screenshots-10.jpg

• NintenNinten Registered User regular
    oh yes Sega

Take my money.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Tails. Tails, get out of the way. You're going to hit those things and lose all your rings. TAILS DAMN IT!

uyvfOQy.png
    edited April 2012
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Tails. Tails, get out of the way. You're going to hit those things and lose all your rings. TAILS DAMN IT!

"Hey, what are these spiked bombs? I should probably investigate them. With my face."

yBaiZ.gif

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    That Episode 2 video looks so much better than that "momentum must be earned" bullshit they pulled with Episode 1.

Also, I don't think it would be appropriate to have a snow level without Sonic snowboarding at some point.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I like that the new special stage mirror's Sonic 2's. Guess the hypothetical Episode 3 would have used a modern Blue Sphere.

Thank fuck Tails has his own ring count this time. D:

Oh brilliant
    I like that the new special stage mirror's Sonic 2's. Guess the hypothetical Episode 3 would have used a modern Blue Sphere.

Thank fuck Tails has his own ring count this time. D:

Wait, didn't he always have his own ring count?

VuIBhrs.png