As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Jack Bros./Shin Megami Tensei] - P4G is out! Have you Social Linked yet?

The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh...Uh, uh.Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in Games and Technology
cover_large.jpg

Welcome to the Jack Bros. thread! "What is Jack Bros.?" you ask? It's an American Virtual Boy game made for an American audience, a game that has absolutely nothing to do with Japan.

The Story
So it's Halloween. I don't really know what that is, I think it's some American holiday thing, but anyway, it's Halloween, and there's these three brothers: Jack Frost, Jack Lantern and Jack Skelton. Together they form the (wait for it) Jack Bros.! They got bored and decided to scare the crap out of people in our world, except then they had a little too much fun or something, and now they have to get back home before midnight, otherwise...something happens. It's probably something bad.

The Gameplay
And that's where you come in. It's up to you to guide your bro of choice through each area in their epic quest to remember how the hell they got from their world to ours in the first place. Each area is divided into floors, containing nasty monsters and shiny, shiny keys. You need to gather all the keys to move on to the next floor, going deeper inside until you reach the boss - but you'd better be fast, because the clock is ticking, and these fuckers don't mess around. If you screw up and get hit - and you will get hit - you lose time. Somehow. Don't ask me how it works.

The Miscellaneous
There's not really much else to say about this game. I have heard though that the people who made Jack Bros. apparently did some other title nobody's ever heard of, "Sheen Mega-Me Ten Say" or something. I don't know anything about it, but apparently like three people have played it, and they're all from here, so you could ask them about it I guess.

Oh yeah, there's also some other game I don't know much about, some shitty dating sim crap called "Persona" I think. Anyway, it sucks and you can't talk about it here.

The Anonymous on

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    The Jack Bros are the best and that's a fact.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Too bad the game is expensive, hard to find, and probably worth jack-shit.

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ...and now that I've bought myself some time with that fake OP, here's the real deal.
    MegatenLogo.pnglogo.png
    Welcome to the Shin Megami Tensei thread. SMT, or "MegaTen", is a long-running series of JRPGs nearly as old as Final Fantasy. Depending on who you ask, Pokemon is a cutesy rip-off of these games. But unlike both those titles, there are no generic OMG SO DEEP protagonists with shitty hairdos, no mystical friendly fantasy worlds, and no boring "press attack to win" battles. In SMT, you play as an ordinary human thrust into extraordinary circumstances. Your only power is the ability to call upon demons - mystical beings not of this world - to aid you in battle against all manner of creatures and deities. Since the hero generally can't use magic and is mincemeat compared to a demon, this is fairly important.

But enough of that, let's talk about the games.

SNES Era
    smt1-mcd2.jpg
    The game that started it all. Originally released for the SNES (for which a fan translation is available), this first title has since been ported to a number of platforms, including the PlayStation, GBA and even iOS, to name a few. If you don't feel like slogging through it yourself, our very own @cj iwakura has done it for you.

In present day (or rather, 90's) Tokyo, peace is slowly vanishing. A series of bizarre murders have lead to the city being shut off by authorities, and rumours of even stranger happenings spread like wildfire on the internet. One day, a user with the handle STEVEN posts to BBS-like DDS-NET, warning of an imminent apocalypse. Humanity's sole hope for survival, STEVEN claims, lies within a program attached to his post, supposedly able to summon powerful creatures known as demons. Our hero downloads this Demon Summoning Program to his personal COMP (a form of portable computer), and heads into the city to run some errands. While visiting the mall, he comes face-to-face with a vicious monster...

From there, everything goes to hell as Tokyo becomes infested with demons and numerous agendas begin to execute their machinations. The fall of society is inevitable. But perhaps you, with your new-found power over the demons, may be able to shape the new world. In the end, your decisions will determine the form it takes..
    smt22.jpg
    The sequel to the first game, Shin Megami Tensei II is set roughly a century after SMT1's conclusion. cj's LP'd this one too, and it also has a fan translation for the SNES version. The game follows on from 1's "neutral" ending, in which the hero successfully established a world in which humans and demons could exist in harmony.

Which of course meant that everyone had to go and screw it up.

The Messians now rule over "Tokyo Millennium", a holy bastion devoted to the Lord God. It is divided into several sectors, one of which features a coliseum where combatants fight to the death for their freedom - to live a a resident of the "Centre". One such gladiator, a young man known only as "Hawk", is preparing for the Champion battle...

Compared to the previous game, SMTII is considered to have stronger gameplay, but a weaker storyline. Improvements include a better automap and an indicator giving you an idea of when you'll be attacked. Plenty of side-quests and bonus bosses should keep you busy for a while.
    smtif2.jpg
    A "what if" side-story to the main series, Shin Megami Tensei if... represents a departure from the other titles, posing the question: what if the public knew about demons before SMT1 happened? The storyline serves to explain how this might be possible: you, a student of Karukozaka High, are busy sleeping through class when the entire campus is abruptly thrown into the Demon Realm (complete with thunder and lightning). Hazama, a fellow student, has somehow become the Demon Emperor, gaining tremendous power in the process. In his hubris, he presents the player and a human ally of their choosing, a challenge: hidden throughout numerous "worlds" within the Demon Realm are magical rings. If the player and their companion finds all of them and presents them to the seal binding the school to the Realm, Karukozaka will be returned to the human world...

if... introduces a new facet of gameplay: the Guardian system. Death is no longer the end for you; instead, if either you or your companion falls in battle, the departed is sent back to the realm of the living with a new Guardian to protect them. Each Guardian has its own stats and skill set (though the hero still can't use magic), and the Guardian you receive is based on a "Guardian gauge" which slowly fills as you win battles. If it's high enough when you die, your next Guardian will be more powerful than the last. But if it's still low, it will be weaker than before...

PS2 Era
    smt3a.jpg
    Originally intended for the PS1, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne was the first main series title to make the jump over to the West, and is likely what most newer players are familiar with. It breaks a lot of traditions: the hero becomes a half-demon and can use magic, there are no COMPs in sight, and most importantly, you have to beat the game to unlock first-person mode.

Nocturne's story is slower-paced, minimalist and quite understated: modern-day Tokyo is not a fun place to be in, with strange incidents taking centre stage on the internet and riots escalating into violence. The hero and his friends visit Shinjuku Medical Centre to see their teacher, Yuko Takao, but what they discover instead is an abandoned hospital. Soon, the hero is called to the rooftop by Yuko herself, who promises to explain everything should they meet again. Before he can ask any questions, a strange light engulfs the world, and a phenomenon known as the "Conception" begins reshaping the world...

Nocturne introduces the much-loved/much-hated (depending on who you ask) "Press Turn" system, which rewards smart play and punishes incompetence. Each side is given a number of "Press Icons" (usually one per ally, though bosses typically have more), and a standard action consumes one Press Icon; a side's turn ends when all icons are used. When a character attacks, the current icon becomes "half-used" (begins flashing) if they score a critical hit or an enemy they hit is weak against the attack's element, giving the team an extra turn. However, if they miss or hit an enemy who nullifies the element, two icons are used, and if the attack is absorbed or repelled, all remaining icons disappear. The same rules apply to both you and your enemies...and your enemies will not forgive mistakes.

GBA/DS Era
    strangejourneya.jpg
    The latest offering in the main series, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is what happens when Atlus decides to bring the classic SMT experience to a more international audience. Like Nocturne, the game is Its Own Thing: the hero and his buddies are special military dudes, from Japan...in the Japanese version. They're American in the US version, and probably European in the EU version, if there's ever one (hint: there won't be one). For the record, the developers themselves requested this.

Strange Journey deals with a strange black hole-slash-giant vortex of doom dubbed the "Schwarzwelt". Initially spotted over Antarctica, it becomes a source of panic when 1) investigation teams sent to check it out mysteriously vanish, and 2) it starts to expand over the entire planet. The UN decides this strangely-named anomaly is a Very Bad Thing and sends its finest to check things out - that would be our hero and his superiors. When they arrive, they soon discover a world filled with demons...

Strange Journey brings back old-school MegaTen, with a set of maps so unbelievably sadistic the entire game makes Etrian Odyssey look like a 100-metre sprint. The Press Turn system is gone, replaced by a really annoying gimmick: when someone scores a critical hit or exploits a weakness, every ally of their alignment gets a free physical attack. Sounds great in theory, but in practice it can get your party killed very easily - assuming you even have more than a couple of demons of matching alignment. Despite this, Strange Journey is still a worthy title, with new systems for you to exploit. One such system is demon password system; you enter a password and, provided you meet the requirements, you'll get a badass new demon to use. This also means you can perform demon fusions anywhere, anytime - no more having to run across the whole map just to get to a Cathedral of Shadows.

As with all DS SMT titles, this one doesn't have a PAL release, but you can still import the US version for your PAL DS since the console isn't region-locked.

More info on spin-offs coming soon.

The Anonymous on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    You missed one.

uyvfOQy.png
    NINE doesn't count. :P

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I just with the fan patch for SMT 1 weren't so ridiculously buggy. But beggars cant be choosers, I suppose...

Please localize SMT1 in english, Atlus.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Pfft, from what I remember the SFC version of SMT1 isn't much better if you try to go neutral.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Does Majin Tensei count, because I found it at the (semi-)local second hand store.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Isn't this the first game?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Devil_Story:_Megami_Tensei

That actually makes it older than Final Fantasy. Not to mention if you count the books too.

There's just no pleasing you people, is there? :(

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I warned you; the bar's pretty high. :P

wVEsyIc.png
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    So I heard that Persona game is pretty cool.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    So how about them Personas, eh?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Half of them Personas are pretty good

The other half aren't really nearly as good.

camo_sig2.png

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Then... one of them is half good, half not that good?

wVEsyIc.png
    Yes, the one that is partly good partly bad is Persona 3.

Persona 1 is the one that is all bad.

Both 2s and 4 are pretty good

camo_sig2.png

• JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    So I was playing P3P, and, uh... whoops.

So, the P4 Arena game looks... um.

Strange Journey is, strictly speaking, a videogame. My list of reasons why I don't like it only took 3 hours to type, which is less of a time investment than some other things I don't like. Woo!

sig.gif
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I wonder if it's feasible that I will "beat" DS:O today, at least via one path.

I'm trying to decide which path to choose.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Yes, the one that is partly good partly bad is Persona 3.

Persona 1 is the one that is all bad.

Both 2s and 4 are pretty good

I played through a lot of Persona 1 back when I stupidly bought the UMD version.

I liked:

- The soundtrack (a lot)
    - The dungeons (even the one people bitch about)

It's an annoying game in many ways, but it's not so terrible.

I know it's the "you fail forever" route, but you should consider doing
    Yuzu
    first since it's actually possible on a first playthrough. I don't even want to think about trying the other routes with the EXP restriction in effect.

edited April 2012
    http://p-atlus.jp/p2x/

First look at high res Baofu in the system section. Still no OP, just screens from it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Yuzu
    first since it's actually possible on a first playthrough. I don't even want to think about trying the other routes with the EXP restriction in effect.

is DS:O a lot harder than regular DS? The only route I can see being really hard is atsuros as that final battle is an utter bitch unless you have access to the right skills.

edited April 2012
    Jurg wrote: »
    So I was playing P3P, and, uh... whoops.

So, the P4 Arena game looks... um.

Strange Journey is, strictly speaking, a videogame. My list of reasons why I don't like it only took 3 hours to type, which is less of a time investment than some other things I don't like. Woo!

Here's all you need to know about P4A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e72YarYdDc

Mass Destruction as battle music!

She has access to Mudoon, Hamaon, Maragidyne, Mabufudyne, Maziodyne, and Magarudyne.

Then kills you with Megidolaon.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2012
    Yuzu
    I did Gin's path the first time through, and that's considered one of the harder routes, I think? Really as long as you have a Holy Dance/Drain unit, and good demons, it's not that bad.

edit: oh right DS:O...I don't know about that then.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited April 2012
    Yuzu
    I did Gin's path the first time through, and that's considered one of the harder routes, I think? Really as long as you have a Holy Dance/Drain unit, and good demons, it's not that bad.

I'm confused about Drain, actually. How does it scale?

Like, my MC has a Mag stat of 36 right now. Is it based on Mag, or on some percentage...or what?

edit: My point being, it is worth it to put Drain on my MC. I'm thinking he should have:

Holy Dance
    Drain
    [something], maybe Recarm?
    Null Phys
    Anti-Most
    Dual Shadow or Endure
    Blitzkrieg or something else, maybe Ying Yang.

Drez on
    edited April 2012
    It's based on Magic. A Magic of 40 (or close to it) will basically fully restore your HP and MP whenever you use it.

For an auto-skill, I suggest the one that ups spell power by 1.5 but doubles cost. Can't remember if that's Magic Yin or Magic Yang. For your other slot, probably Samarecarm or Mediarahan or Prayer or something like that.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

It's based on Magic. A Magic of 40 (or close to it) will basically fully restore your HP and MP whenever you use it.

For an auto-skill, I suggest the one that ups spell power by 1.5 but doubles cost. Can't remember if that's Magic Yin or Magic Yang. For your other slot, probably Samarecarm or Mediarahan or Prayer or something like that.

I'm pretty sure Yang halves cost. I don't have Yin yet.

I stuck with Yang since having a good Tyrant like Loki in your party basically gives you infinite MP. Free Dual Shadow'd Megidolaons/Holy Dances are the best thing ever.

Drain basically gives you infinite MP too, and Yin will make those Dual Shadow'd Megidolaons/Holy Dances even more powerful. :P

camo_sig2.png

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Persona is such an awesome series.

The other stuff is okay I guess.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Yuzu

I'm confused about Drain, actually. How does it scale?

Like, my MC has a Mag stat of 36 right now. Is it based on Mag, or on some percentage...or what?

edit: My point being, it is worth it to put Drain on my MC. I'm thinking he should have:

Holy Dance
    Drain
    [something], maybe Recarm?
    Null Phys
    Anti-Most
    Dual Shadow or Endure
    Blitzkrieg or something else, maybe Ying Yang.

I like spreading my almighty damage over the entire team, so MC gets dance, someone else drain, someone else megidolaon. And go for phys repel, not null since repel makes you immune to pierce. in DS2 I'm running holy dance/samarecarm/elemental weakness of most dangerous mob this fight dance with repel phys/anti most/whatever element I have dance off amp. Once I unlock victory cry I'll just roll with that instead of the amp and maybe get some heal for the last slot to be the ultimate unkillable murdermachine. For passive I currently have blitzkrieg, since I haven't seen the passive that increases magic damage by 50% yet.

Just out of morbid curiosity, has anyone fought Philemon in EP yet? Grinding in the final dungeon now.

I have no god-tier ultimates(like Lucifer), but I do have the ultimate base Personae and Beelzebub, so there's that.

wVEsyIc.png
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I'm gonna finish out Day 6 now.

Grazie :)

cj iwakura wrote: »
    Just out of morbid curiosity, has anyone fought Philemon in EP yet? Grinding in the final dungeon now.

I have no god-tier ultimates(like Lucifer), but I do have the ultimate base Personae and Beelzebub, so there's that.
    It's tough, but far from impossible. I was 99 with the god-tiers though so...I don't know if it 's possible without them sorry.

camo_sig2.png

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Mass Destruction as battle music!

She has access to Mudoon, Hamaon, Maragidyne, Mabufudyne, Maziodyne, and Magarudyne.

Then kills you with Megidolaon.
    So basically there's no reason to play as anyone else.

M A G I K A Z A M
    The downside to Elizabeth is that she can easily get rushed down, and she has low HP, or so I hear.

Almost at Mr. P's lair. Made it through the final solo battle because Maya's a boss.

Level 65! This should end hilariously badly.

wVEsyIc.png
    http://www.livestream.com/rhythmgamingobscura?t=875968

It's go time. I'm right outside Philly's door. (This should end badly.)

wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2012
    ...Mediarama? Really, cj?

edit: also, you do know you can fusion to make the buffs hit your whole ream, right?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

I couldn't find a Mediarahan. :(

Some things never change.

wVEsyIc.png
    Make an Urd, rank it to 8 and return it for the Blessing Card, which will teach you Mediarahan.

camo_sig2.png

This discussion has been closed.