As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Republican War on Voting

• ethicalseanethicalsean Registered User regular
    I'm a little curious as to what is on the other end of voterfraud@foxnews.com

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    America calls for aid!

And Rohan is a filthy communist wasteland who shoul stay out of our affairs!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Congratulations to the United States!

You have joined the fabled ranks of countries being investigated by the UN for human rights abuses due to your various new Voter ID laws.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/14/un-delves-into-us-voter-id-laws/?really/

I do enjoy the Fox News spin about it being a smear job arranged by the NAACP though.

Wait, is the NAACP a cadre of villains now? Is that a thing people believe?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

You have joined the fabled ranks of countries being investigated by the UN for human rights abuses due to your various new Voter ID laws.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/14/un-delves-into-us-voter-id-laws/?really/

I do enjoy the Fox News spin about it being a smear job arranged by the NAACP though.

Goddamn it this is embarrassing.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Why is the URL for that article UN Delves into US Voter ID Laws? Really.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

PHP is Unamurican. Also, Fox.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/14/un-delves-into-us-voter-id-laws/?godthisishorseshit/

everything after the ? is a value, and it's ignored.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I'm a little curious as to what is on the other end of voterfraud@foxnews.com

I now know what I'm naming the spam box of my Email address.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

That's just... Wow! I knew some of that was going on, but Christ! Why don't we just get rid of universal suffrage and start persecuting sinners again?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

That's just... Wow! I knew some of that was going on, but Christ! Why don't we just get rid of universal suffrage and start persecuting sinners again?

Have you been following the Republican Party lately? That's pretty much their entire publicly stated goal.

Yeah, I knew a bit of that was happening from the other threads. But it's leap to go from preaching it to actively infringing on people's rights to voting. It's like the difference between jokingly saying you'd like to hurt someone to actually buying a gun and murdering them.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I knew a bit of that was happening from the other threads. But it's leap to go from preaching it to actively infringing on people's rights to voting. It's like the difference between jokingly saying you'd like to hurt someone to actually buying a gun and murdering them.

yeah, it took me a long time to shift from intellectually knowing that this sort of thing happened, to really having it sink it that they're doing this on purpose.

• Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, I couldn't find any posts on this (apologies if I missed something), and I figure this is probably the best thread for it. Remember that whole thing where Michigan's new Republican government decided that certain people didn't deserve local democracy? Well, to pass that and tons of other wingnut bills and enact them immediately they did not acknowledge the votes of Democratic legislators. Just ignored them. I'd get more into the details, but you should probably just go here and scroll down to the Michigan GOP segment to see Rachel Maddow break down the horrifying details.

Brian Krakow on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Have you been following the Republican Party lately? That's pretty much their entire publicly stated goal.

And I'm "pretty much" a woman except for a few chromosomes.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So, I couldn't find any posts on this (apologies if I missed something), and I figure this is probably the best thread for it. Remember that whole thing where Michigan's new Republican government decided that certain people didn't deserve local democracy? Well, to pass that and tons of other wingnut bills and enact the immediately they did not acknowledge the votes of Democratic legislators. Just ignored them. I'd get more into the details, but you should probably just go here and scroll down to the Michigan GOP segment to see Rachel Maddow break down the horrifying details.

What. The. Shit.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So in order to immediately enact a bill, they need 73 votes. There are 63 Republicans in the Michigan House of Representatives, so 10 Democrats would be required to support something in addition to all the Republicans to hit that number. Something smells fishy about that. They do seem to have a supermajority in the Senate though.

steam_sig.png
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    So in order to immediately enact a bill, they need 73 votes. There are 63 Republicans in the Michigan House of Representatives, so 10 Democrats would be required to support something in addition to all the Republicans to hit that number. Something smells fishy about that. They do seem to have a supermajority in the Senate though.

They need a super majority in both houses. If they don't have that, the bill can't take effect immediately. Something's rotten in Denmark. Very, very rotten.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

They need a super majority in both houses. If they don't have that, the bill can't take effect immediately. Something's rotten in Denmark. Very, very rotten.

Well this is assuming that 10 Democrats in the House are not crossing party lines. While the Democrats have less of a solid record of party solidarity, having looked over the content of some of the bills passed I'm pretty sure that at least once fewer than 10 Democrats crossed party lines.

So yeah, something screwy is going on. Especially when the Democrats demand roll call votes and are denied, and then sue their own House of Representatives because holy shit they're being completely ignored.

steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll totally believe 10 democrats could vote for some of that, but you know, they should be asked if they're going to vote for it, not just assumed.

steam_sig.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I guarantee you this state will not give a shit. The major papers sure as hell don't.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

Are you arguing that the recent nonsense in Texas, Arizona, Virginia, etc, along with the hard tack to starboard the Republican Party is taking over contraception, denying blacks and hispanics voting rights in many areas, as well as having Rick Fucking Santorum straight up spouting religious dogma is not an indication that overall the Republican Party is not aiming for the U.S. to lean closer to a theocracy and suppressing others rights than it has ever been before?

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I guarantee you this state will not give a shit. The major papers sure as hell don't.

They'll care once white people start being affected by it.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    Talking points memo had an article on that...

Edit: And now I can't find it either...

Second edit: Found it. It was dailykos.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/29/1079060/-Michigan-Republicans-ignore-a-House-floor-full-of-Democrats-calling-for-a-roll-call-vote

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.

Time to invoke Article IV, Section 4 then.
    I realize that this will never, ever, happen, even when Rick Snyder crowns himself Governor-for-life.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If you don't pay taxes, you shouldn't be able to vote.
    If you don't own land, you shouldn't be able to vote.
    If you don't have a penis, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I promise you that there will be no consequences for these Republicans, because, as always, they are Karma Houdinis. They'll win like they always do. When Obama was elected, I thought maybe we would actually start progressing as a nation, then Republicans even turned that into a victory thanks to the idiot voters. Now they're even trying to take away what little progress we've made.

Michigan is a good example. People don't care. In fact, they love the Party, and the Party loves them. The Party is Always Right.

So fuck their democracy. I hope they cry tears so bitter it turns to sand when they realize what's happened.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So fuck their democracy. I hope they cry tears so bitter it turns to sand when they realize what's happened.

What I've come to realize is that no one will ever realize anything. At least, not a significant number of people, anyway. The problem is that if they succeed in making things worse, they will just keep blaming the liberal boogeyman and their supporters will keep believing it.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    No one will realize it because nobody has time to realize it.

I've got a bunch of friends living in Flint. I had to tell them the details of the government takeover thing because they were so busy trying to work their 3 jobs and educate their kids on the side of what school was failing to do that they didn't know anything about the government of their town.

They'll get away with it because nobody who is being abused by the laws has the time or energy to pay attention.

• Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Wait, is the NAACP a cadre of villains now? Is that a thing people believe?

Well they aren't on The LOPCATGOPATA.

• B_RB_R Registered User regular
    It's really bizarre how people in america always vote for the same party.
    Election results swing much more over here with parties coming from nowhere and getting up to 7%, while others go from 14% down to 3% in 1 year.

Well, this kind of propoganda works. It's worked for thousands of years. Fucking look at North Korea! Remove education and make it so that all social problems are from a demonized antagonist. Does it work forever? No, but it will keep the current people in charge until they retire / die. It's also backwards in social, economic, technological advancements. But the those at the top don't give a fuck cause they got theirs.

Only thing that gives me hope is that there are still people who push education and fact finding.

Maybe when I retire I'll get into politics, or assassinate evil politicians. Whichever is less morally bankrupt ;)

steam_sig.png

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The best part is, if you take some of these voting supression laws, and apply them as gun ownership laws, conservatives wharglbargl how unconstitutional those exact same restrictions are.

The mind. It boggles it.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    The best part is, if you take some of these voting supression laws, and apply them as gun ownership laws, conservatives wharglbargl how unconstitutional those exact same restrictions are.

The mind. It boggles it.

For a lot of Republican voters, a gun is a more important right than a vote.

I really wish I was kidding.

Lh96QHG.png
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Well this is assuming that 10 Democrats in the House are not crossing party lines. While the Democrats have less of a solid record of party solidarity, having looked over the content of some of the bills passed I'm pretty sure that at least once fewer than 10 Democrats crossed party lines.

So yeah, something screwy is going on. Especially when the Democrats demand roll call votes and are denied, and then sue their own House of Representatives because holy shit they're being completely ignored.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/dirty-tricks-in-michigan/2012/04/06/gIQAD0FC0S_blog.html
    Ezra Klein wrote:
    According to the Detroit Free Press, however, it’s not just the Republicans who have employed this trick. “Over the years, as majority control shifted back and forth, both political parties in the state House have ordered immediate effect for legislation without recording a roll call vote.” Still, this is no way to run a state.

Obvious reform/probe needed. This is a pretty clear infringement

e: apparently the dems haven't had control of the state legislature for a long time.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

The mind. It boggles it.

So do I.

The counter-argument I got was "Well the 2nd amendment says the right to bear arms shall not be infringed, so that's totally different."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

The mind. It boggles it.

So do I.

The counter-argument I got was "Well the 2nd amendment says the right to bear arms shall not be infringed, so that's totally different."

Yeah, and every single voting amendment has a caveat "for race" "for gender" "for age".

It's batshit that we have to be that specific.

Lh96QHG.png
    edited April 2012
    finnith wrote: »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/dirty-tricks-in-michigan/2012/04/06/gIQAD0FC0S_blog.html
    Ezra Klein wrote:
    According to the Detroit Free Press, however, it’s not just the Republicans who have employed this trick. “Over the years, as majority control shifted back and forth, both political parties in the state House have ordered immediate effect for legislation without recording a roll call vote.” Still, this is no way to run a state.

The article doesn't say whether this is traditionally done for measures that clearly do not have the votes required or had been done to speed up the machinations of the legislature when Michigan's version of Tom Coburn tries to delay a nearly-unanimous vote.

In any case, I highly doubt it has ever been used on anything as contentious as the Ave Caesar Act of 2011 or the Fuck You TAs Bill. This is tyranny, plain and simple.

Brian Krakow on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    finnith wrote: »

Ezra Klein wrote:

The article doesn't say whether this is traditionally done for measures that clearly do not have the votes required or had been done to speed up the machinations of the legislature when Michigan's version of Tom Coburn tries to delay a nearly-unanimous vote.

In any case, I highly doubt it has ever been used on anything as contentious as the Ave Caesar Act of 2011 or the Fuck You TAs Bill. This is tyranny, plain and simple.

It's irrelevant since I can't find any records of when the Democrats actually had control of the legislature, but I would argue that the purpose doesn't really matter here. No one who employed this trick should be cleared just because they used it for a subjectively "better" purpose. It's wrong just the same.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

Are you arguing that the recent nonsense in Texas, Arizona, Virginia, etc, along with the hard tack to starboard the Republican Party is taking over contraception, denying blacks and hispanics voting rights in many areas, as well as having Rick Fucking Santorum straight up spouting religious dogma is not an indication that overall the Republican Party is not aiming for the U.S. to lean closer to a theocracy and suppressing others rights than it has ever been before?

Republican position on contraception/sex ed has hardly changed in the decades I've been alive, so not sure where this "hard tack" nonsense is coming from. And Santorum, really? LMAO.

Also, whining that Southern far-right states are dictating the ENTIRE Republican Hive-Mind makes about as much sense as suggesting far-left advocates are doing the same for Democrat voters.

As a previous poster said, when you start complaining that Republicans are getting away with gangster shit, that things MUST change, and then you go into the voting booth and vote Democrat because its the "lesser of two evils" - you kinda cede your ethical highground. What is happening in Michigan is hardly new or novel; pretending political abuse is unprecedented and is the signal of "the end" is just silly.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend