As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strength.Training.Guile. [Mass Effect].The Special Tasks Group needs you.USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I played a pubbie round earlier where I saw a drell adept who was loaded down with 4 guns

what's the point?

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    how is that even possible?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    to me the paragon justification is

garrus feels like a failure for what happened, and has dumped all his negative feelings onto Sidonis

so "settling" things by killing him is a way of not having to actually deal with his feelings and get over them

renegade though, fuck man I ain't your therapist, you wanna go kill some chump let's do it

And then you berate the PCs in your own roleplaying game for taking that Renegade option.

Thanks, Speed.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    how is that even possible?

mass effect fields

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I played a pubbie round earlier where I saw a drell adept who was loaded down with 4 guns

what's the point?

I'm with Melding, the game only let's you have two, plus the Cobra.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Kreia is arguably one of the best written characters in RPG history, and her relationship with the Exile is pretty amazing. I wouldn't compare it easily to Garrus and Shep though, as there is little friendship.

Man, KoToR2 had some kickass writing. (it helps that it's basically Planescape 1.5) I wish Lucasarts had let them finish it.

I wish LucasArts had let them finish it

and I also wish they hadn't used the Star Wars universe for it, other than maybe borrowing lightsabers.

Star Wars is far too idealistic a universe; KOTOR2 just doesn't fit with it.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Kreia is arguably one of the best written characters in RPG history, and her relationship with the Exile is pretty amazing. I wouldn't compare it easily to Garrus and Shep though, as there is little friendship.

Man, KoToR2 had some kickass writing. (it helps that it's basically Planescape 1.5) I wish Lucasarts had let them finish it.

and I also wish they hadn't used the Star Wars universe for it, other than maybe borrowing lightsabers.

I don't see that as a positive. It's a stupidly idealistic universe, and becomes vastly more interesting when you introduce grays, as KOTOR2 did. And anyway, if you took the Star Wars out of KOTOR2 you basically just get Planescape: Torment except with Ravel as a party member.

• Options

moral complexity has been intrinsic to star wars at least since Empire

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hellbore wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

what's the point?

I'm with Melding, the game only let's you have two, plus the Cobra.

I must have been mistaken, things were rather hectic
    But I swear it was way too heavy a loadout for an adept to be any good

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Shorty wrote: »

moral complexity has been intrinsic to star wars at least since Empire

It's still largely good and evil.

Alpha Protocol showed what they could do given a world of their own making, and IMO, it's much better than KOTOR 2.

Orca on
  • Options
    hahahahaha what

alpha protocol was hot garbage on a bullshit sandwich

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I should finish Alpha Protocol someday.

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Thanks for quitting on wave five, everyone but me

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i remember trying to play through the tutorial of alpha protocol

wasn't happening

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Anyone who hates Alpha Protocol is bad people

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Alpha Protocol was such a cool game.

I just wish its combat was even decent enough to be at ME1's level.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    hahahahaha what

The mechanics were just a refined version of ME1, complete with certain broken/overpowered skill combinations and pistols being aces.

The voice acting was solid (generally good to very good. I don't recall any standout performances, but neither do I recall any terrible ones).

The world and story stressed hard choices (however only one choice is remotely like ME3's hard choices--Bioware broke some ground there, I think). The world itself was nothing but shades of grey layered on top of each other, and you working with a very limited amount of information.

The conversation system was (IMO) better than Mass Effect's--with the corollary that it needed some renegade interrupts. Dialog fit and each character had a voice. There were real dialog battles as well, and they weren't something you could override with Paragon or Renegade scores, or by using pheromones DX:HR style.

Missions and maps were varied and interesting, and rewarded you for playing either guns blazing or stealthy as hell.

They monitored everything you could do, and rewarded you for it. Went non-lethal? You got non-lethal perks. Try to be Broey McBuffChest and make bad passes at the ladies? That'd get noticed too. Kill a bunch of guys hand-to-hand? You bet that gets noticed. Your reputation with every single character was noticed and rewarded, regardless of if you made them hate you or like you.

They had the balls to close off entire mission arcs because of your actions.

I love that.

Get past the crap mechanics and there's a really good game under there. The annoying thing is that the mechanics are only crap in comparison to ME2--they seem quite decent compared to ME1.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I tried to play Alpha Protocol and couldn't get over how shitty shotguns were

I fuckin' love shotguns

So I just punched fools

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    From waaaaay back:
    Solar wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Hey somebody who knows more about Mass Effect lore than I do, the prohibition on AI creation existed before the geth right? Which is why the quarians lost their embassy when the geth broke loose

Why were there restictions on AI creation in the first place?

I guess because nobody trusts robots

maybe they found a Prothean data disk which was all "STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM GODDAMN SYNTHETICS" and decided to err on the side of caution
    The Asari are probably the ones that established the law, which is a byproduct of them having all that guidance and whatever from the Protheans. It makes sense since Javik is so very, very anti-synthetic.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    hahahahaha what

Nope it was GOTY 2010.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    But half the joy of KOTOR 2 is that it's a massive deconstruction of the star ways mythos. Both the force as destiny vs free will and light side vs dark side vs you're both idiots

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    The annoying thing is that the mechanics are only crap in comparison to ME2--they seem quite decent compared to ME1.
    i would rather replay mass effect a dozen times than try to complete the tutorial for alpha protocol

• Options
    edited April 2012
    What IS the Tutorial for Alpha Protocol?

I never played it, and have only seen the really annoying dialogue in the game from youtube videos.

Goatmon on

• Options
    wake up in a hospital
    shoot dudes
    learn how to solve puzzles

i gave up on the number one

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Also I really don't like their equivalent of the dialogue wheel.

Instead of picking a choice that reflects the most appropriate mindset you want to go for

you get "BE HELPFUL/LIE/BE AN ASSHOLE"=

It's sort of like they took the dialogue wheel in DA2, which took the ME dialogue wheel but added icons to show what each choice was going to be doing

and then just went "fuck it, we're just using the icons"

Goatmon on

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

Instead of picking a choice that reflects the most appropriate mindset you want to go for

you get "BE HELPFUL/LIE/BE AN ASSHOLE"

How is that not reflecting an appropriate mindset?

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    what bugs me about alpha protocol's dialog is the time limit

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I hate Origin so much.

bDFB3.jpg

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

Spies think on their feet.

The timer forced you to do that.

I don't want it for every dialogue-heavy game, but it worked well for AP.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »

you get "BE HELPFUL/LIE/BE AN ASSHOLE"

How is that not reflecting an appropriate mindset?

It KIND of does, but it does so by emphasizing the intent on where you want to take the dialogue, and not on what you feel is the right thing to say.

Whereas in ME, you pick what feeling motivates what Shepard does next, which is a much more personal approach.

Which is very ideal for role playing.

Which seems like a really good way to go, especially if you're making a game that emphasizes the dialogue much more heavily than Mass Effect does already.

See, Dragon Age 2 refined the dialogue wheel in a way that was really helpful. It had the choices all lined up in the same way as in Mass Effect, BUT it also added an icon that appeared whenever you moved the wheel to a different dialogue choice that showed you where that choice was going to take you. Like, if you were going to have Hawke be very strict there would be a gavel icon, or if he was going to be comical about it you would see those theater drama masks, or a heart if it was going to emphasize romance. You still get the role playing aspect, but it also lets you know what path your choice is going to commit you to.

Alpha protocol seems to just take that icon system and use THAT as the entire dialogue selection. Which seems like a really bad way to go about it.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Spies think on their feet.

The timer forced you to do that.

I don't want it for every dialogue-heavy game, but it worked well for AP.

:\

• Options
    I want it for every game

choices need to be made and people need to live with them

no time for your fairy tale endings

xmassig2.gif
  • Options

That's what I liked about AP.

There were choices I made that I wouldn't have made had I had time to think about it.

And those choices opened up and cut off entire sections of the game.

It was cool!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I think Alpha Protocol has brilliant dialogue

it is a true spy simulator, based on all the little things you can do to influence the mission

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I want a game called Bad Things Happen

I want it to introduce well written, likeable characters and I want it to put them in situations where no matter what happens, nobody is happy with the outcome

and I want it to erase all your previous saves when you make a choice

xmassig2.gif
  • Options

That's what I liked about AP.

There were choices I made that I wouldn't have made had I had time to think about it.

And those choices opened up and cut off entire sections of the game.

It was cool!

The problem there, is that those optional areas could not possibly get as much attention to detail.

The more optional paths there are in a game, the less attention each path can get from the designers.

So while that is a great idea, it has to be done very lightly or it draws from the quality of the game.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My lawyer neighbor with a much nicer/larger apartment invited me over for a beer a couple of nights ago, and we got to talking about how we ended up where we are in life and I completely zoned out for a bit, then I was really embarrass and dude was acting a bit scared the rest of the night.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

I want it to introduce well written, likeable characters and I want it to put them in situations where no matter what happens, nobody is happy with the outcome

if you remove: "likeable characters" you basically described fable 3.

• Options

I would like to introduce you to this game called ADOM

play it if you would like to have bad things happen

This discussion has been closed.