As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Western Animation thread

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The 90's stuff is pretty bad in hindsight, but even then you have to kinda respect what they managed to pull off in light of the stupid restrictions placed on them. One story I've heard is that the suits did not want any arching stories in Spider-Man, but the writer managed to sneak some in anyways. And then he apparently got fired when they found out.

Basically, all things considered, they could have been so much worse.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    The 90's stuff is pretty bad in hindsight, but even then you have to kinda respect what they managed to pull off in light of the stupid restrictions placed on them. One story I've heard is that the suits did not want any arching stories in Spider-Man, but the writer managed to sneak some in anyways. And then he apparently got fired when they found out.

Basically, all things considered, they could have been so much worse.

Wait, really? That must have been rescinded at some point, the last season was Secret Wars in one big arc. I remember just catching the odd episode being SECRET WARS: CHAPTER XVI or whatever.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The whole series was big arcs.

I'm not sure I believe that.

Quire.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I loved that cartoon, it was some good spidey action, and they crossed over with the XMen show a lot, too.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Twice isn't that many times.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    it is for cartoons

jCyyTSo.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The Legend of Korra isn't supposed to be on TV yet right?

steam_sig.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

No. It starts in April. 14th, I think?

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    It's the 14th in the title of the Airbender thread so it's a safe bet you're right.

Well it's On Demand right now. Don't know if it's a mistake but I'm watching ep 1 on Nick on Demand as I type this.

I have AT&T U-Verse.

steam_sig.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

Well it's On Demand right now. Don't know if it's a mistake but I'm watching ep 1 on Nick on Demand as I type this.

I have AT&T U-Verse.

Is it on Xfinity yet? Not that I really care sense I have the first episode on Amazon Instant right now.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Couldn't say. But holy crap is it cool to see avatar in a more modern setting.

steam_sig.png
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh wow, that is some nice art. I really like the alternate (I assume) Wasp art.
    ___time_for_a_universal_upgrade__captain____by_tnperkins-d4utpwu.jpg

Looking forward to the new episode, today. The Doom episode last week was great.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Looks like she's hosting Captain Universe.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    the_next_wave_of_recruits_are_on_the_way_by_tnperkins-d4vcf1m.jpg

This just makes me want a nextwave cartoon.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    A Nextwave cartoon on Adult Swim would be incredible.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Have you guys seen the Avengers cartoon? It was surprisingly good, I hope they bring it back.

The theme song is incredibly nerve-wracking, but otherwise the show is pretty worthwhile.

You think it's bad, you should hear how they hacked it up and added narration for season 2.

If he saw the last few episodes of season 1 on Disney XD, he would've seen that opening.

I've seen only the first season, yeah. But I don't remember bad narration, gonna have to go back to Netflix to see if it's there.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    skeldare wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Have you guys seen the Avengers cartoon? It was surprisingly good, I hope they bring it back.

The theme song is incredibly nerve-wracking, but otherwise the show is pretty worthwhile.

You think it's bad, you should hear how they hacked it up and added narration for season 2.

If he saw the last few episodes of season 1 on Disney XD, he would've seen that opening.

I've seen only the first season, yeah. But I don't remember bad narration, gonna have to go back to Netflix to see if it's there.

The narrated opening happened later on in the first season.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Green Lantern series is better than I expected it to be. The most recent episode had its ups and downs.
    Saint Walker and Mogo - yay!

Both of their awesome backstories are f'd up - boo!

It's growing on me, though. It's a good time to be a fan of comic book shows.

H9f4bVe.png
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    The Green Lantern series is better than I expected it to be. The most recent episode had its ups and downs.
    Saint Walker and Mogo - yay!

Both of their awesome backstories are f'd up - boo!

It's growing on me, though. It's a good time to be a fan of comic book shows.

Yeah I have been trying to tell people that it's not all bad despite the strange animation. I mean a GL show ain't the easiest thing to make and the direction that they have taken works pretty well.

steam_sig.png
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »

It would be so perfect. Remember that it already has a theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuosmf1_mKs

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just watched today's Avengers, it was pretty good.
    Can't beat Doom with AIM. However, I did enjoy Pepper Potts.

I'm not much of a Marvel fan but it seems crazy if they are trying to set up both the Skrull invasion with the Civil War. Perhaps they are just laying down the works for season three.

Karoz on
    Karoz wrote: »
    Just watched today's Avengers, it was pretty good.
    Can't beat Doom with AIM. However, I did enjoy Pepper Potts.

I'm not much of a Marvel fan but it seems crazy if they are trying to set up both the Skrull invasion with the Civil War. Perhaps they are just laying down the works for season three.
    It can work. They just need to keep the story lines separate long enough which is possible with their season lengths. It's easy for them to combine both, as well. Smallville did this with the Apocolips and SHRA rip-off story lines in season 10.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    A Nextwave cartoon on Adult Swim would be incredible.
    Oh god yes.

...crap, mentioning Nextwave is like mentioning X-Com. Time to reread it again.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    SightTDW wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »

It would be so perfect. Remember that it already has a theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuosmf1_mKs

Yessssss totally forgot about that.

Time to reread it.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Very, very interesting rumors from generally-reliable Disney website Blue Sky Disney. There's a lot of good stuff for what Disney's up to, though one paragraph in particular stands out:
    The projects competing for 2014/2015 are the uber-secret film from Don Hall, which will be a marvelously unexpected project if it ever gets the green light, and Nathan Greno and Byron Howard's films which are deep in development. These are projects that are busy working out the story elements so that the films live up to John Lasseter's high Pixar standards. The one that gets the release slot will be the one whose story is deemed ready to actually animate. Not a bad concept, right?

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=21

Note the use of the word "marvelously"... not a stretch to think it'll be a Marvel movie, given that Disney owns them. Big damn deal, we're getting tons of them, right? Well, take a closer look at Don Hall... he's not a live-action guy, he's an animator, and last directed the new Winnie the Pooh movie. Which means...

Disney could be considering letting their animators loose on an animated Marvel movie.

Holy crap.

Also, they're enthusiastic about Wreck-It Ralph:
    Later this year, "Wreck-It Ralph" will debut and show audiences that "Tangled" wasn't a fluke. From the stories I've gotten, it sounds like they really have a heart filled tale that will have everyone seeing this film over and over again. What "Toy Story" did for toys, this does for video games. And the nostalgia for those that grew up on 8-bit games as well as those that love the 90's games are going to be in love with this film.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I have AT&T U-Verse.

Nick posted the episode early after it was leaked everywhere last month.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    that's pretty incredible

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Oh man, it's like having Freakazoid back. Full show plz!

• TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    Razia wrote: »
    God, I love Outlaw Star's ending themes.

I know this is late, but YES. I burned those themes on my Nujabes cd so I could listen to them in my car.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Oh man, it's like having Freakazoid back. Full show plz!

I like them as shorts

The Outlaw star ending theme was the very first MP3 I ever got

MrDapper wrote: »

oh wow.

i didn't know I could laugh that hard a few minutes after waking up.

steam_sig.png
  • CururuCururu Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »

The voice actor sounds a lot like Weird Al. Time to verify!

Yup, it's Weird Al. I approve.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Note the use of the word "marvelously"... not a stretch to think it'll be a Marvel movie, given that Disney owns them.

No, I'd say that's a pretty big stretch

JKKaAGp.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Note the use of the word "marvelously"... not a stretch to think it'll be a Marvel movie, given that Disney owns them.

No, I'd say that's a pretty big stretch

Why so?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm catching up on Regular Show, and one episode I've watched has a sequence where Mordecai, Rigby, and Benson are all essentially high and stumbling around town before Margaret and Eileen call them a cab to take them home (all while Mississippi Queen plays in the background). I'm constantly surprised by all the implied instances of drug and alcohol use on this cartoon.

EDIT: Ohmigod, now I'm watching an episode with a montage set to "Holding Out For a Hero".

Hexmage-PA on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Why? They know who their "real" audience is.

newSig.jpg
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    Just found out a new season of Deathlok is starting April 29th. So awesome.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
This discussion has been closed.