As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "What Are You Reading" Thread

• Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    And finished the Great Hunt. The ending was intense, series really seems to be picking up some steam now. Moving straight on to the Dragon Reborn (and hoping it doesn't start as slowly as the first two books did).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Zedar wrote: »
    And finished the Great Hunt. The ending was intense, series really seems to be picking up some steam now. Moving straight on to the Dragon Reborn (and hoping it doesn't start as slowly as the first two books did).

I am interested to hear the reaction of somebody reading Wheel of Time for the very first ... uhm, time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Finished Ready Player One on my new free Kindle (thank you Amazon customer service and thank you my amazing stubborn shithead customer skills).

It's not good at all. I don't hate it, because it was a short easy read, but I am exactly it's target audience - born 1970, grew up playing arcade games, played OD&D, loved John Hughes, had a Space Invaders machine in my house - and I still thought it was boring and stupid.

Now I am reading The Broken Blade and not liking that much either. I think I will go read some good old stuff, as I feel I've read all the good new F&SF.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »

I am interested to hear the reaction of somebody reading Wheel of Time for the very first ... uhm, time.

I've actually owned a copy of the Eye of the World for years but never managed to get into it. Decided I would make a real go of it since the last book is coming out next year and forced myself to read far enough to get hooked. Once you get past all the cliches there's a pretty interesting story going on, with enough twists to keep it interesting without ever really deviating from what I expect (so far at least). I'm already anticipating a future re-read where I suspect I will find a lot of hints that I missed the first time through.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i'm on like my fifth or something reread and I'm still finding hints that I didn't see the first few times.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Hahahahah, no.

Sorry, they all start that way. Every single fucking one.

i'm on like my fifth or something reread and I'm still finding hints that I didn't see the first few times.

It's crazily well plotted. There's tons of hints and implications of things going on and such.

shryke on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    seriously well plotted.

And reading on Kindle is kind of a huge help. Especially with that 'highlight' feature that Kindle has.

I can't tell you how awesome it has been to read through and find hints and features that others have highlighted that I otherwise would have skipped over.

For whoever was looking for some light fantasy: It's not modern day, but I enjoyed Naomi Novick's Temeraire series. "His majesty's Dragon" is the first book. I tore through them (although I haven't gotten the latest book yet) in about 3 weeks maximum. They're light, they're fun, fantasy, and dragons. Not for serious book reading, but if you want something fun and enjoyable, they're definitely worth a go.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Ugh, so many books. How do you guys ever decide what to read? :P

Randomly picking what other people espouse in the thread. That and a well filled out GoodReads profile.

Also what the local library has on hand. I couldn't afford the habit, if I bought every book I read.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Hahahahah, no.

Seriously? Ugh. Oh well. I guess you don't commit to something like the Wheel of Time without having boundless stores of patience, so I'll just soldier on and wait for cool stuff to happen again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Hahahahah, no.

Seriously? Ugh. Oh well. I guess you don't commit to something like the Wheel of Time without having boundless stores of patience, so I'll just soldier on and wait for cool stuff to happen again.

Now c'mon. the prologues are all fairly important and not all of them are completely dull.

But yeah, you're going to have a Wind starting somewhere or other in every book.

They are worth it. I promise.

• Options

Hahahahah, no.

It's just his style. The start of every book is a slow build and then the pace just goes up and up as the book goes along. Then bam climax, denoument, new book.

I found it kinda funny when I really started noticing it. It's like he starts writing each book at a leisurely pace then realises "Fuck, I'm 200 pages in and the plot just started" and then starts writing at breakneck speed to finish the book before it gets cut into two or something.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, in terms of "knowing what's going to happen down the road" RJ was really good at plotting

But in terms of "moving the story along at an efficient rate and maintaining tension"... not so much

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Finished Ready Player One on my new free Kindle (thank you Amazon customer service and thank you my amazing stubborn shithead customer skills).

It's not good at all. I don't hate it, because it was a short easy read, but I am exactly it's target audience - born 1970, grew up playing arcade games, played OD&D, loved John Hughes, had a Space Invaders machine in my house - and I still thought it was boring and stupid.

Now I am reading The Broken Blade and not liking that much either. I think I will go read some good old stuff, as I feel I've read all the good new F&SF.

Read the Night Circus. Every time I got annoyed with the Budweiser quality of Ready Player One, the Night Circus was there like a fine single malt scotch that smelled of caramel and popcorn.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Finally reading A Dance With Dragons. So far, it's ok. I don't think I am as enamoured with these books as a lot of people are, but it's an ok read and the world-building is interesting.

• Options
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Finally reading A Dance With Dragons. So far, it's ok. I don't think I am as enamoured with these books as a lot of people are, but it's an ok read and the world-building is interesting.

I could hug you for that sentiment. I was starting to think I was the only one.

• Options
    I just started ADWD a day ago too.

I'm intruiged so far. I'm still in the "set up each character situation/arc" phase right now.

• Options

I found the last 2 meandering, but loved the first 3 so incredibly much that I can forgive that. Although I did enjoy AFFC and ADWD much more when I reread the whole series recently - there are so many sneaky little details that I can't keep track of unless I read them all together.

• Options
    I just started ADWD a day ago too.

I'm intruiged so far. I'm still in the "set up each character situation/arc" phase right now.

give us a liveblog, it's your duty to the forum

And then we'll tell you how all your opinions are wrong

it's the circle of life

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm about halfway through Dan Simmons' Fall of Hyperion. The plot has really started to pick up and I've enjoyed the series and its mysteries immensely thus far. I especially enjoy his scene setting, descriptions and analogies. If there's one complaint I'd have, however, is that numerous characters seem to speak more with the author's voice than their own.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Maybe not the authors voice (that comes more around Fall of Endymion), but definitely with the voice of the Ideas that they represent

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So, I hit up Whichbook.net and played around with it for a bit, and took my chances on a suggestion.

I picked up The End of Mr. Y, by Scarlett Thomas, and read the first two chapters last night.

I'm digging it so far. It's first person, with a lot of train of thought writing, which kind of comes off as ADD, but the set up so far is interesting. A book about a cursed book by the same title. :P

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The End of Mr Y was a real treat. I picked it up randomly based on the fact it was a funny shape and had red pages. Good stuff.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

I've actually owned a copy of the Eye of the World for years but never managed to get into it. Decided I would make a real go of it since the last book is coming out next year and forced myself to read far enough to get hooked. Once you get past all the cliches there's a pretty interesting story going on, with enough twists to keep it interesting without ever really deviating from what I expect (so far at least). I'm already anticipating a future re-read where I suspect I will find a lot of hints that I missed the first time through.

I am reading through this series as well. I started it, oh approximately 15 years ago, and made it to the end of book 5. I decided to pick it up again before Christmas and am back into book 5. My pace is not nearly as fast as some others on in this thread...*cough* lonelyahava *cough*...but I am hoping to stay interested and finish the books before the final one is released.

I am reading on the Kindle and the highlight feature mentioned sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that. Reading through the books I can definitely see how this serious lends itself to rereads. There is just so much there that you can't possible pick up in the first read through.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Polished off Mona Lisa Overdrive. I was incredibly surprised by how much it referred back to Neuromancer and Count Zero (and kind of disappointed by
    3Jane's big plot.)

I got a ton of books for my birthday, though!

- Thunderstruck by Erik Larson
    - In The Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
    - The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (fuck yes, The Secret History blew my socks off, so I have high hopes for this one)
    - Little, Big by John Crowley
    - A book of Merl Reagle crossword puzzles (yeah, I am a 90 year old man, so what)

I picked up Hide Me Among the Graves for myself, though, so I am probably going to be reading The Stress of Her Regard next.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Polished off Mona Lisa Overdrive. I was incredibly surprised by how much it referred back to Neuromancer and Count Zero (and kind of disappointed by
    3Jane's big plot.)

- The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (fuck yes, The Secret History blew my socks off, so I have high hopes for this one)
    - A book of Merl Reagle crossword puzzles (yeah, I am a 90 year old man, so what)

I picked up Hide Me Among the Graves for myself, though, so I am probably going to be reading The Stress of Her Regard next.

Random trivia: these forums, until a few months ago, were hosted by a company called 3Jane. I didn't know the character was in any other of Gibson's books.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    After reading Perdido Street Station, what's the best next Bas Lag book?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

The Scar.

Then Iron Council.

• Options
    3Jane's big plot.)

let me know what you think of the Erik Larson books. I've read his "Devil in the White City" and absolutely loved it. Devoured it some might say.

@socks:: pffftttt :P I'm an unemployed housewife (without the ring or the 'wife' part). I've got lots of time to read. it's the only reason I'm going so fast.

Also, Book 11 seems to be moving close to the pace that book 8 had. in other words, quickly.

• Options

The Scar.

Then Iron Council.

Yup.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    If, like me, you enjoy revolutionary romanticism, Leftism and trains, Iron Council could be more enjpyable than the Scar. I liked both, but Iron Council is my favourite.

• Options
    God I love the Scar. It was my first Mieville book and it absolutely blew me away. I can see echoes of Mieville in that browser game Fallen London, and it makes me want to play a Mieville game, whether video, board or card.

Maybe I'll have to go design one myself.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Random trivia: these forums, until a few months ago, were hosted by a company called 3Jane. I didn't know the character was in any other of Gibson's books.

My old site was hosted on a machine called 3jane.ashpool.org.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Finished A Dance With Dragons. It was ok; pretty much what I expected from the previous books.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Finished A Dance With Dragons. It was ok; pretty much what I expected from the previous books.

You didn't find it and maybe Feast a drop in quality? I found something to enjoy in both, but would also say they are a lot more meandering and stuffed with filler than the previous books.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I just finished Adam's Tongue by Derek Bickerton. It's about language evolution and I found it to be quite fascinating. It's really easy for a layman to absorb, so if you are interested at all in the subject I'd suggest checking it out.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Picked up Embassytown by Mieville and A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge (they didn't have A Fire Upon The Deep). I read the first chapters of both of them in the store, and I'm excited especially for Deepness. I'll start on one once I finish Deadwood (which is still good).

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    And now, the challenge.

Starting Book 12 of Wheel of Time. Let's see if I can make it through this without the burning hatred that I got last time. I'm reading it slowly and deliberately. So far, it's better than I remembered.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I found Virtual Light for 50 cents at the library, so I am rolling on with the William Gibson thing. I have Burning Chrome waiting for me at home, so I think that I might just pick up Zero History and All Tomorrow's Parties off of Amazon and then I will own the complete oeuvre.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Anyone read the Night Angel Trilogy?

Still reading The End of Mr Y and should finish it up in the next couple days.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    Started Hot Water Music (Bukowski) and Blood Meridian (McCarthy) a few days back.

Digging HWM a lot, not looking forward to the morbid depression that will no doubt follow finishing Blood Meridian.

This discussion has been closed.