As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Strength.Training.Guile. [Mass Effect].The Special Tasks Group needs you.USE SPOILER TAGS

• biggitiobiggitio Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »
    I keep hearing different production cycles for DA2

"oh it was made in a year"

"18 Months!"

"8 months"

"8 very busy days"

One absinthe-filled night.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    DA2 was a great game and way better than DA: Origins

the smaller scale was really cool as well. I wasn't fighting to save the world, I was fighting to re-establish my family in Kirkwall, gain power and influence, and use them for my own ends.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

the smaller scale was really cool as well. I wasn't fighting to save the world, I was fighting to re-establish my family in Kirkwall, gain power and influence, and use them for my own ends.

Is this sarcasm? I'm not saying you're wrong, it is an opinion after all, but I have never met anyone who liked DA2 more than Origins.

The_Scarab wrote: »

Is this sarcasm? I'm not saying you're wrong, it is an opinion after all, but I have never met anyone who liked DA2 more than Origins.

Not sarcastic at all! DA2 was better in almost every way than Origins. The story-line, characters, world design, lay-out, game-play and anything else you care to bring up were all superior in my opinion.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    smof wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    ME3 romance question
    you can go gay for Kaidan? Do you have to not have romanced any ladies previously?
    Yes, and I think he'll try to make a move on you if you're nice to him when he's the in the hospital.

Huh.
    I was nice to him in hospital but never noticed any sign he was into me.

Maybe if you shut down Cortez by saying you like ladies the game also rules out Kaidan.

Or my Shepard is super oblivious.
    I romanced tali and kaidan still asked me if I would date him
    Yeah, I don't remember if Kaiden asked me before I "locked-in" with Tali in ME3, so I'm not sure on that front. I didn't talk to Cortez either. All I know is that I was nice to him and bought him the booze at the hospital. But you will know because he'll actually show up at the cafe on the Citadel, talk about how lonely he is, and then awkwardly hit on you.

Ah, that's what that booze was for? I think I bought it eventually but never did anything with it. Guess that's why nothing happened.

To be honest I found some of his conversations kind of awkward anyway so I'm not too upset that he didn't try anything. He was such a debbie downer in this game.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Not sarcastic at all! DA2 was better in almost every way than Origins. The story-line, characters, world design, lay-out, game-play and anything else you care to bring up were all superior in my opinion.

everything but the heavy environment recycling and the last 10 minutes was miles better than DA:O

2x39jD4.jpg
    One place that DA2 was admittedly weak on was the re-used areas

that was pretty bad

Hmm. I wont say you're wrong but that's certainly a rare opinion. Did you play any of the expansions? Some of the Origins DLC was quite robust but I found the DA2 stuff pretty lacklustre, with respect to their parent titles, of course.

edited April 2012
    I thought the rare opinion was liking DA:O more

because DA2 is way better

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    DA:O could be a friggin chore to play.

DA2 was a heck of a lot more fun.

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    biggitio wrote: »
    Shabooty wrote: »
    I keep hearing different production cycles for DA2

"oh it was made in a year"

"18 Months!"

"8 months"

"8 very busy days"

One absinthe-filled night.

"Ugh... dude, what the fuck did we do last night? All I remember is the bottle coming out and somebody dryhumping all the computers. And where'd this game come from? I don't remember making it... oh wait... oh shit."

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky

Hmm. I wont say you're wrong but that's certainly a rare opinion. Did you play any of the expansions? Some of the Origins DLC was quite robust but I found the DA2 stuff pretty lacklustre, with respect to their parent titles, of course.

The only expansion stuff I played for DA2 was the Sebastian one

the DA: Origins expansion stuff seemed to all be about the same quality as Origins i.e. pretty good but not as good as DA2

Kwoaru wrote: »
    I thought the rare opinion was liking DA:O more

because DA2 is way better

Yeah I thought that too

people really like Origins more?

Origins was much more favourably reviewed, and generally better received by fans. I'd argue that if anything, the DA2 scores were inflated by hype, and that the 79 on metacritic is generous to say the least.

But it's all opinions. Like I said, I'm not going to argue subjectives. But certainly I think the common opinion is that Origins is the better of the two.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    DA2 for PC doesn't support gamepad conversion does it? Uggh that's the most annoying Bioware trend lately. ME2, ME3, none of them give you the option to play with a gamepad on the pc.

Origins was much more favourably reviewed, and generally better received by fans. I'd argue that if anything, the DA2 scores were inflated by hype, and that the 79 on metacritic is generous to say the least.

But it's all opinions. Like I said, I'm not going to argue subjectives. But certainly I think the common opinion is that Origins is the better of the two.

that is really weird to me but fair enough

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Okay what the heck is this (romance spoilers again)
    So not only can you romance Kaidan as a male Shepard but he talks like you've romanced him in previous games? Can you have a gay romance with him in ME1? Cos I didn't think you could.

4:10 in this video. How do you get this dialogue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BuwOaq9dn8

edited April 2012

I just dont understand how that can be the case unless having to clear the same cave was way more important to other people than it was to me

Because mechanically I felt that everything in DA2 was just better, like what they did from me1 to me2

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg

I just dont understand how that can be the case unless having to clear the same cave was way more important to other people than it was to me

Because mechanically I felt that everything in DA2 was just better, like what the did from me1 to me2

Yeah pretty much, it was the same kind of jump in quality and the decision to use a Shepard-style fixed protagonist with options within that was a good one

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    So not only can you romance Kaidan as a male Shepard but he talks like you've romanced him in previous games? Can you have a gay romance with him in ME1? Cos I didn't think you could.

I didn't get that in my game, but he did ask me to dinner later on

I wonder if you get if you didn't romance ash or liara?

Maybe you need to have no romances at all before ME3?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    tayvaan wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Well, ok. The critics correctly panned the technical problems and wonky shooting--though I maintain they were too harsh. ME1's shooting is worse!

But what they were trying to do with the storytelling and dialog was impressive, and from what I remember, that was acknowledged.

false, truthfully everything about alpha protocol outside of the story and the dialogue was really pretty weak.

I'll just have to chalk this up to me having more bad opinions. But man, the fact that you could shoot under cover was cool, having to scope in with an assault rifle to make accurate shots made sense to me, and you could minimize the annoyance of the minigames by speccing into electronics or whatever. Honestly, like in ME2, the minigames weren't bad the first few times. But after the dozenth time you're staring at the hack screen...yeah, it got old. Stealth and pistols was hilariously broken (invisible murder machine that can stop time and shoot 5 people in the head in an instant!)

I still had fun with it though. Seems like a lot of people didn't!

Shorty wrote: »
    Well, ok. The critics correctly panned the technical problems and wonky shooting--though I maintain they were too harsh. ME1's shooting is worse!

But what they were trying to do with the storytelling and dialog was impressive, and from what I remember, that was acknowledged.

my main problem with the story of Alpha Protocol was with the player character (mike? was that his name?)

the fact that you could change your dialogue approach on the fly made it seem like he didn't have a character of his own

having every personality is essentially having no personality

and the mechanics just weren't good enough for me to put up with a game full of characters I didn't give a shit about

though the crazy guy voiced by Nolan North almost made it worthwhile

It's the same problem you have in Mass Effect if you're constantly switching between paragon, renegade, and neutral options, honestly. But with more variety.

I put that one on the player to keep consistent. Certainly I was generally selecting one branch, same as Mass Effect.

Seems kind of a leap that the game would assume you having no romance means
    you and Kaidan love each other.

I wondered if it was using a modded save import, but that wouldn't explain Shepard having the appropriate dialogue.

I am intrigued.

Seems kind of a leap that the game would assume you having no romance means
    you and Kaidan love each other.

I wondered if it was using a modded save import, but that wouldn't explain Shepard having the appropriate dialogue.

I am intrigued.

I guess but
    if you were schtupping other people before ME3 then kaiden probably didn't mean that much to you

or something like that

2x39jD4.jpg
  • DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    DA2 was better than DA:O.

DA:O was just a chore to play.

Dux on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    the game probably lets you check kaidan as a romance even for male sheps if you edit the data

remember how in ME1 they had Meer read every bit of dialogue, even stuff that male sheps normally wouldn't get ("you're attracted to me even though we're both women?" etc.). That's probably the case in ME3 too.

Notice that Kaidan says "the person that I loved", not "the man" or the "woman"

These super spectre packs keep giving me bullshit cards I dont need

at least I've got almost all the shredder mods by now

2x39jD4.jpg
    Dux wrote: »

DA2 lets me kill Anders

DA2 > DA:O

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

DA2 lets me kill Anders

DA2 spoiler
    Except the miserable cunt dies smug and self-satisfied no matter what.

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    In the talk of DA:O compared to DA2, I think that the likes are a bit tweaked.

DA:O gets a lot of love because it's a really good spiritual successor to BG2. The amount of people that love that game is astounding, so DA:O get's proxy love because of it.

DA2 is ME2 with swords.

I personally prefer Origins, but I completely understand why a lot of people prefer DA2. I've just always thought that the silent majority preferred Origins because of the Baldur's Gate influence.

"Never Hit"

the combat was probably more fun if you were some sort of baldur's gate fetishist

2x39jD4.jpg

the combat was probably more fun if you were some sort of baldur's gate fetishist

I love Baldur's Gate and the combat in DA: Origins was barely anything like it beyond "dude with swords"

Also calling somethign ME2 with swords doesnt seem like very good criticism?

ME2 was well written with very enjoyable gameplay, you bet I'd like a version of that with swords

2x39jD4.jpg
    DA2 needed interrupts and cover based shooting

• Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular

I love Baldur's Gate and the combat in DA: Origins was barely anything like it beyond "dude with swords"

Smacking stuff with weapons was better.

Magic sucked in comparison between the two.

"Never Hit"
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    the game probably lets you check kaidan as a romance even for male sheps if you edit the data

remember how in ME1 they had Meer read every bit of dialogue, even stuff that male sheps normally wouldn't get ("you're attracted to me even though we're both women?" etc.). That's probably the case in ME3 too.

Notice that Kaidan says "the person that I loved", not "the man" or the "woman"

I didn't know they did that for ME1. That's a bit crazy. Wonder why they did that.

Salarian infiltrator from a super spectre pack thank fucking god

now I have all the classes just in time for new shit to be put out

2x39jD4.jpg
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

DA2 lets me kill Anders

DA2 spoiler
    He died a long time ago. Ending the abomination that called itself Justice was pretty satisfying for my 'fuck stupid mages who make pacts with demons' Hawke.

Turns out the only Mage I liked was Bethany, who was sensible!

Rainfall wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »

DA2 lets me kill Anders

DA2 spoiler
    He died a long time ago. Ending the abomination that called itself Justice was pretty satisfying for my 'fuck stupid mages who make pacts with demons' Hawke.

Turns out the only Mage I liked was Bethany, who was sensible!

Yeah, pretty much.

Also calling somethign ME2 with swords doesnt seem like very good criticism?

ME2 was well written with very enjoyable gameplay, you bet I'd like a version of that with swords

It isn't, that's why I didn't go into it more than that. But it's a vastly different game than DA:O with a much more panned story than both Origins and ME2. The story was good, but not as well received as either of the other two.

DA2 got a lot of love with it's expansions, though, to quell a little of the "This is not as it once was, a child of the game we loved" hate that it got.

"Never Hit"
This discussion has been closed.