As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mad Men

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Don did look at his resume, he says he spent "a lot of time at X, and a little time at a lot of places"

It's possible he faked his resume, but I doubt he'd manage to fake his ads, Peggy or one of the guys would've noticed an ad they knew

Or even if he did fake it, he showed good taste in the fakes he chose, so that's something at least

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The part that was obviously fake was the inclusion of Allen Ginsburg as a reference, but he played that off as a joke.

I did forget that Don looked at the resume, but still nobody actually checked his references.

Also, you could fake ads by picking up obscure out of town papers, couldn't you? If credits aren't listed somewhere, there'd be no way to see who did it without contacting the agency

Robos A Go Go on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Peggy said she checked his references

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Woops, then I'm dumb

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That was both hilarious, and for a bit, really scary.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    so...
    did the woman show up at all, or was it all a dream?
    I figured dream when
    she showed up the 2nd time in his room
    but
    the murder
    clinched it. What are we supposed to read into the dream? That he's changed, or hasn't?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Holy crap that was dark.

When Don
    murdered the woman I thought it had to be a dream, and would have definitely leaned that way at the outset if he'd just left her and then climbed into bed. But they have him go and kick her under the bed and leave an earring on the carpet. Creepy.

Then, they also edited it together with other stuff actually happening in "real time."

Very disturbing.
    I think it was a dream, but at this point this show could have Megan and Don get into it toward the end of the season and have her yell, "I hid a body for you!" and it wouldn't surprise me.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Holy crap that was dark.

When Don
    murdered the woman I thought it had to be a dream, and would have definitely leaned that way at the outset if he'd just left her and then climbed into bed. But they have him go and kick her under the bed and leave an earring on the carpet. Creepy.

Then, they also edited it together with other stuff actually happening in "real time."

Very disturbing.
    I think it was a dream, but at this point this show could have Megan and Don get into it toward the end of the season and have her yell, "I hid a body for you!" and it wouldn't surprise me.

The other thing about this episode
    Fever dreams leading to some character revelation. I.e. See the Sopranos season 2 where tony has food poisoning and figures out that one of his crew is a rat. I know mathew wiener didn't write that episode, but he did write alot of the episodes in the final 2 seasons of the Sopranos, which featured dreams heavily and how the characters tried to change in reaction to the dreams. I think you will see Don try and stay faithful in the next few episodes, be tempted a few times, and finally say fuck it and start cheating again.

Also I have a weird complaint. While I though the episode was well done and the acting was top notch, I just found it kind of boring. There were some interesting advances in the plot and insights into characters, but there was just nothing too exciting this episode for me, especially because
    I though all the things that happened in Don's apartment were part of a dream, it just didn't feel real to me at all, so there wasn't any real tension for me in those scenes.

Overall good episode, but not great.

steam_sig.png
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised no one's talking about:
    Sally passed out under the couch after being given sleeping pills by her step-grandma.

I didn't stick around for the preview, if that's why no one cared about that.

metaghost wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one's talking about:
    Sally passed out under the couch after being given sleeping pills by her step-grandma.

I didn't stick around for the preview, if that's why no one cared about that.

I think it's just because we're used to seeing her inched towards oblivion on the whole Betty side of things. Her parents have both screwed her, Betty 'cause she messed up, Don because he know Betty's messed up yet doesn't take the time to actually give a shit.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Just watched it. I love that Joanie called her husband on being a rapist piece of shit.

• Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    Good episode. Thought the stuff with Don was a little heavy handed, though.

My favorite parts of the episode mostly involved Peggy.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Seriously. I almost felt sorry for Roger for a second.

• izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I am not sure if there's meant to be a parallel between...
    The dead woman Don kicked under the bed, and Sally sleeping under the couch

izzyb on
    Etiowsa wrote: »

"What did you have in mind?"

The tone, that look on her face. She was on fire.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    izzyb wrote: »
    I am not sure if there's meant to be a parallel between...
    The dead woman Don kicked under the bed, and Sally sleeping under the couch

And the girl that survived the murder

Etiowsa wrote: »

"What did you have in mind?"

The tone, that look on her face. She was on fire.

wife and I high fived all the way through.

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    That Roger and Peggy scene was indeed amazing.

I also like Don chewing out Ginsburg.

"That's because you thought they wouldn't like it, but in your heart you knew it was good."
    "In my heart, I'm on the verge of throwin' you in front of a cab."

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    This episode fucking rocked, which was awesome because jack shit happened on The Killing this week. Peggy was awesome, but that makes me worry that shit is gonna hit the fan for her later because Mad Men. :(

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    Ginsburg has a bit of the ole Don Draper in him, which I love.

Grandma Pauline deserves some credit, too.
    At first I didn't like her, but at the end, with the butcher knife, "My burglar alarm," that wasn't half bad.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    so I just started season 3 on Netflix

somebody please tell me (yes or no) if
    Ken Cosgrove sticks around after the end of season 3

Joolander wrote: »
    so I just started season 3 on Netflix

somebody please tell me (yes or no) if
    Ken Cosgrove sticks around after the end of season 3

He...
    comes back. But not immediately.

edited April 2012
    Peggy is such an adorable drunk

And pretty much all the things I was saying in the last couple of weeks about how much I love the growth of her character, x2 for this week

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    I wonder how long until they reach 1968

That's going to be a goddamn tough season to get through

As a side note, I wanted to add how good did Mädchen Amick look? Considering that Twin Peaks is over twenty years old she was fine.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    As a side note, I wanted to add how good did Mädchen Amick look? Considering that Twin Peaks is over twenty years old she was fine.

WOW. I didn't even recognize her!

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular

Oh shit! Can't believe I missed that.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Is
    Sally dead? Sallys dead isnt she :(

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

Oh shit! Can't believe I missed that.

She's appeared on some other shows in recent years, like... uh... Californication? And she's always looking fine.

What amused me most about her appearance is that I could've sworn Don's initial incompetent secretary was trying her best to behave like Lucy, the incompetent secretary at the Sheriff's office in Twin Peaks. Next thing you know, they'll bring in the actor who played Leo to do a bit role as a serial killer and best friend of Ginsburg.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Is

naaaah. those old sleeping pills will knock you out cold, even the next morning though

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Is

naaaah. those old sleeping pills will knock you out cold, even the next morning though

Yeah but like, step-grandma was out cold and shes way bigger than Sally. Plus Don's dream.

Holy shit! Tonight's episode was outstanding. Line of the evening goes to Roger:

"I was backing Lane."

• SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm thinking there is gonna be a suicide before this season is over. No telling who though. So much talk about death and giving up. So many mopey faces.

Siska on
    Siska wrote: »
    I'm thinking there is gonna be a suicide before this season is over. No telling who though. So much talk about death and giving up. So many mopey faces.

Shoot, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The 60s sure ain't going to be getting any more pleasant from here.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    What's the over/under on how long 'new Don' lasts?

edited April 2012
    Such a gloriously awkward dinner scene <3

And somehow everyone actually looked like they enjoyed people's company!

lol also Don actually mentioning that he grew up in the country to coworkers. He really is slipping, isn't he?

Kana on
    Kana wrote: »

But it was charming in the way that the people may have been awkward together, but were at least being people. Compared with the dinner party that Betty threw that one night for the Heineken clients it was like night and day.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

And somehow everyone actually looked like they enjoyed people's company!

lol also Don actually mentioning that he grew up in the country to coworkers. He really is slipping, isn't he?

He's mentioned a ton of times that he grew up on a farm. He just never goes into much more than that, and never names any names