As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

annoying social networking stuff

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    You know what I don't understand

"checking in"

seriously why the fuck are people doing that voluntarily

sig.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hey @YaYa!!!

Facebook me!!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »

"checking in"

I dunno

it's a thing to do

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tossrock wrote: »

"checking in"

Slightly related, I help run a FB page for a business as part of my part-time job.

The client is very interested in generating "check-ins" because it generates "Likes" and word of mouth type advertising

But to answer your question it's just a circlejerk kind of thing. "Hey guys, check out where -I- went today! I totally left the house 8)"

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    With Foursquare if the business has set it up correctly it can be used similarly to the old fashion 'punch-card' discount things.

Or they can offer specials to the mayor, or to first timers, or to regulars, and then receive useful data about their regular customers, when they show up, do they bring friends who also check-in, etc.

It can also, for some people, be a point of pride to be the mayor of their favorite venue. There's a craft beer place with a pretty active group of regular who compete for the mayorship, and they have a little chalkboard with they mayor's name on it.

Un-fortunately, most small businesses don't figure out how to do that.

Abracadaniel on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I have a google+ but I haven't clicked on its tab in several months

this

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Isn't that checking in thing kinda like four square?

I had a friend that kept everyone up to date via four square. Like, every fucking place they went.

They ditched that shit pretty quick after she found out some lunatic was stalking her with it.

Really, don't let the internet know where you are, or where you will be at all times.

Foursquare also recently had a partnership with American Express where if you dined at certain restaurants and used your Amex card to pay the bill they automatically credited you $10 off the meal.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    I never post my opinions of people's dumb commentary on Facebook or else I would explode from the interactions.
    MtOLg.gif

There's often a lot of anti-gay and conspiracy stuff from the hip hop crowd, as you might imagine.

I remember back when I hung out on a b-boy forum, there was a guy who was such a conspiracy theorist that he claimed to be friends with Jose Escamilla. I could believe too, since he had access to an early copy of Moon Rising. Thing is, there were three kinds of people with regards to him:

1. those that agreed with him, which was thankfully a small number

2. those that tried to reason with him

3. those that dismissed him for being a loony

I started off as 2, and shifted into 3.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    It's in no way canonical, but I've been putting together a twitter list for SE++

https://twitter.com/#!/smarthero/se

though I think @seplusplus' is more accurate.
    so uh

heh

hey dan

hi

i uh

i noticed that um that

i

am not on this PRESTIGIOUS LIST you prick ya fuckin asshole you got a lot of nerve not puttin me on there!

EzUAYcn.png
    you have a lovely apartment btw

love what you did with the place

EzUAYcn.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Facebook is a place where I post my -highly- censored political opinions and get into 100+ comment arguments about how dumb I am.

It's true I've seen it.

Wait why are you still friends with that guy?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Man, all I use my twitter for is to occasionally reply to Mysst.

Oh, and read TLB's updates when he has them.

Yukira on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    It is possible to be friends with people you disagree with politically though.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    crwth wrote: »
    It's in no way canonical, but I've been putting together a twitter list for SE++

https://twitter.com/#!/smarthero/se

though I think @seplusplus' is more accurate.
    so uh

heh

hey dan

hi

i uh

i noticed that um that

i

am not on this PRESTIGIOUS LIST you prick ya fuckin asshole you got a lot of nerve not puttin me on there!
    now you are on not one but three of my lists

thanks I think???

True.

I mean I don't always agree with Firmskater either but this guy can be kinda a douchbag.

thanks I think???

oh can't take a compliment huh

ok

i see

EzUAYcn.png
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    do you feel distressed when you hop around idly on the internet and find someone who is just SO SIMILAR to you in every way and youve never even heard of that person

thanks I think???

ok

i see

I dunno I guess it's okay. We bought those shelves in the dining room earlier this year and before we had all the nerds down the first time we cleaned the place up a whole fucking lot because we'd never had anybody over so the place was pretty messy and we got rid of a bunch of crap which was probably a good thing. A lot of stuff was stuff I'd moved from place to place, still in the boxes it was all originally packed in, just moving it from place to place without sorting it.

Went through a bunch, held on to some stuff, donated a bunch, and threw out a whoooole lot of stuff.

It was like an apartment enema.

Felt great, all the stuff we have has a place (mostly) and the floor is clear of stuff and boxes and stuff.

I have no idea why I've spent so long on a post about cleaning but it's almost 1 am so whatevs.

The dude Uriel is talking about is an insufferable fuckhead.

The only reason I stay friended to him is because when I defriended him once before he sent me a huge message apologizing and telling me how much of a friend he considered me to be, etc. I have seen this dude IRL once in like the last 5 years (walking out of a bar of all places) and I felt bad so I just stay friends with him.

sig2.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

In my experience, outside of this place, no. Because as what you'd call a leftist, folk that tend to have opposite views get super fucking aggressive and angry at you for not being in the same mind as them.

Weaver wrote: »

In my experience, outside of this place, no. Because as what you'd call a leftist, folk that tend to have opposite views get super fucking aggressive and angry at you for not being in the same mind as them.

No kidding. Kinda why SE++ facebook is dead most of the time now.

thanks I think???

ok

i see

I dunno I guess it's okay. We bought those shelves in the dining room earlier this year and before we had all the nerds down the first time we cleaned the place up a whole fucking lot because we'd never had anybody over so the place was pretty messy and we got rid of a bunch of crap which was probably a good thing. A lot of stuff was stuff I'd moved from place to place, still in the boxes it was all originally packed in, just moving it from place to place without sorting it.

Went through a bunch, held on to some stuff, donated a bunch, and threw out a whoooole lot of stuff.

It was like an apartment enema.

Felt great, all the stuff we have has a place (mostly) and the floor is clear of stuff and boxes and stuff.

I have no idea why I've spent so long on a post about cleaning but it's almost 1 am so whatevs.

christ almighty daniel

EzUAYcn.png
    it was the enema comment, wasn't it

sometimes people carry around emotional boxes from place to place

those are good to open and unpack, too

do you have any emotional boxes, tito????

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I made a place, sent out some adds. Ask for invites if you want, I'll go through them later, and also make a couple of admins.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/251579151604288/

DO YOU NEED AN ENEMA @CRWTH????

edited April 2012
    dan it was

it was a comment about how i liked your apartment and you

you just

yak yak yak yak yak

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
    stay

away

from

my

butthole

please

EzUAYcn.png
    this is why I stick to twitter

keeps me from talking too much

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    crwth i am following you on twitter now

so maybe up your game a little?

• SwillSwill Registered User regular
    It seems kind of

Uhm how so I say this

It kind of ruins the sense of community if you have another group reserved for certain folk

I dunno I just don't like a lot of the clique-y stuff.

But that is because I am or try to be friends with a lot of the said groups

crwth i am following you on twitter now

so maybe up your game a little?

i'll do no such thing

EzUAYcn.png
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    the only clique I wanna be in is the no crwths clique

it is the clique that is everyone but crwth

7656367.jpg
    this is why I stick to twitter

keeps me from talking too much

yeah same here

i have a lot of tweets cause i use it as kind of a...stream of consciousness thing?

i dunno

just something to write stuff down that might be (and probably isn't) funny

if a lot of the tweets i made were facebook status updates instead i'm sure i'd get defriended very quickly (who cares) and my family members would be very worried about me

EzUAYcn.png
    edited April 2012
    If any one of my actual friends or family knew my honest political opinions I think I would be completely ostracized. I am more honest about them here than anywhere else, which is one of the reasons I post more in politics threads than anywhere else. Here is basically the only place where I can say what I really think without alienating myself socially.

It's entirely possible for people with polar opposite political opinions to be friends - but it definitely requires you to not talk about them very much at all. Despite (hopefully) keeping myself well informed I try to keep myself quiet about my politics IRL.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I absolutely hate talking about politics

Sometimes I'll read a political thread and just be annoyed that I read it

Because politics is just the worst

the only clique I wanna be in is the no crwths clique

it is the clique that is everyone but crwth

:(

EzUAYcn.png
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I keep trying to join the ONLY CRWTHS Clique but the entrance requirements are so goddamn strict.