As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    Wait I don't understand Miracle. How can your opponent know you drew it that turn never mind the first card?

V0Gug2h.png
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    You'll probably have to play the card with Miracle before you put it into your hand, similar to revealing the top card with Delver. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the oracle FAQ stuff looks when it goes up.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
    I assume that's how it's going to work in practice. It's just very clumsily worded.

I mean, you're not going to look at the top card like you would with Delver, because that would betray you have Miracle cards in your deck and when you draw it and make it part of your hand, then play it for its Miracle cost, your opponent can say he/she wasn't paying attention. It's just... clumsy and a breeding ground for awkward situations.

V0Gug2h.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I would speculate that when you draw a Miracle card and wish to play it you have to reveal it as you draw it. If you don't do it right then, you've lost your chance.

It's like Madness in reverse, which is neat. Although I agree a little clumsy.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    It also fits the atmosphere of this block exceptionally well. I mean, how many times have you been praying for that perfect topdeck to salvage a losing game?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    Yeah I like the Madness comparison. It's not like you draw it and then later make the choice, your drawing the card brings up the option to cast it before it reaches your hand. It makes more sense when you remember all cards are supposed to be drawn individually.

No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I think it will work better in mtgo. As it is, you'll sort of give away you're playing miracle cards in person. It will also become a sticky point of cheating I fear. Great mechanic in theory, still.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I really don't think it will be that bad. I don't "reorganize" my hand much aside from when I first draw the 7 cards, and I usually have my hand on the table when I draw in casual games anyway, so it's not exactly tough for my friends to tell which card I draw.

Granted, it's not the casual play that's problematic, it's competitive, but I don't think it'll be that big of a deal.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So this is totally happening.
    mm190_card.jpg Time Walk only better.

Taramoor on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Any bets on how long before it gets banned in almost all formats?

oh h*ck
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Also, Return to Ravnica announcement features a picture of JACE with NIV MIZZET behind him.

ALL THE CARDS? IN MY HAND.

Picture and announcement

Turkson wrote: »

It's only really bad in formats with Brainstorm and Preordain. That is, Legacy. Banned in Legacy is inevitable. Probably not broken in Standard or Modern, where you actually have to topdeck it, or it's Time Warp +2 mana, i.e. MOSTLY DEAD CARD.

Lucedes on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Oh come on, it's not better than Time Walk.

It'll definitely be a powerhouse card, but I don't think it'll get banned. The only deck where it's going to be really good is combo, and those aren't exactly all over the Standard environment. With Ponder and Preordain banned in Modern, it won't be easy to set up properly.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Cloudshift is secretly the broken card.

Banishing Stroke is for EDH, but is almost good enough for Standard.

Lucedes on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Thunderous Wrath = Red Deck Wins Even More.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Self Mill + Noxious Revival.

Wheeeeee.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    return to ravnica wooooooooooooooooo

Terrendos wrote: »
    Oh come on, it's not better than Time Walk.

It'll definitely be a powerhouse card, but I don't think it'll get banned. The only deck where it's going to be really good is combo, and those aren't exactly all over the Standard environment. With Ponder and Preordain banned in Modern, it won't be easy to set up properly.

Well, it will cast as an instant if you play it at the Draw Step, which is slightly better than Time Walk, and I can't imagine anyone NOT playing it the moment it turns up.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=205961&type=card

Will she be legal when Miracle is out there?

Vess isn't in any set in Standard. Sorin took her place in M12.

The way Miracle is worded is that you can play it on your opponent's turn if you draw it with an instant draw spell, though obviously it's not possible with new Time Walk since it's a sorcery. I'm not sure how it works if you cast an instant that draws multiple cards, since I believe you draw them at the same time.
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Also, Return to Ravnica announcement features a picture of JACE with NIV MIZZET behind him.

ALL THE CARDS? IN MY HAND.

Picture and announcement

shutupandtakemymoney.png

V0Gug2h.png
    Also of note: RTR is 274 cards. Big sets haven't been cracking 250 for a while now...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Chen wrote: »
    The way Miracle is worded is that you can play it on your opponent's turn if you draw it with an instant draw spell, though obviously it's not possible with new Time Walk since it's a sorcery. I'm not sure how it works if you cast an instant that draws multiple cards, since I believe you draw them at the same time.

If Miracle had timing restrictions then you wouldn't be able to use it on any sorcery ever (unless you've been casting sorceries during your draw step lately). That obviously isn't the case.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Based on previous examples, Miracle will have you casting the spell during the resolution of a triggered ability which is normally a time when you can't cast anything at all….
    Remember that the sorcery and instant timings are permissions, not restrictions like, say, Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir which would block miracles completely.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    I really, really hate Teferi. Mostly because he single-handedly invalidated one of the mechanics that block was built around (suspend). So stupid.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Aha. I don't know what I was thinking. So it really is like Madness. You can pay its alternate cost when you meet the requirement and everything else is just what it says on the card type text box.

V0Gug2h.png
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »

Card is so much worse than people think it is. Here's the thing about time walk spells, you need to use on on specific turns for them to be awesome. Time warping on turn 3 with nothing but land in play is not much different than playing Explore. For time walk to be good you have to be ahead on board in a meaningful way, either with bigger creature, evasion creatures, or a planeswalker, and THEN time warp. I know when I played cube a lot time walk was at its best in white weenie decks splashing blue, where they go 1 drop, 2 drop, 1 drop + time walk.

This card is the worst time warp variant out there for EDH, and it seems terible in everything but Delver in standard, even there unless you draw it turn 3 or later its a virtual mulligan everytime. As far as legacy with brainstorm / ponder, I'm not that convinced, is this really the best thing you can be doing in legacy? I mean is it more powerful than all the other options? Can people really spare that many slots for this card?

I remember the last time people got this excited for a variant of a power 9 card, it was called Time Reversal. There is no competitive format where a 7 mana time warp spell is anything other than unplayable

The Lava Axe for one mana on the other hand will be a big player in Legacy I reckon with the help of Brainstorm, Ponder and Magma Jet.

V0Gug2h.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

If Miracle had timing restrictions then you wouldn't be able to use it on any sorcery ever (unless you've been casting sorceries during your draw step lately). That obviously isn't the case.

Right. From the mechanics article: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/190a
    As you draw an instant or sorcery with miracle, if it's the first card you've drawn this turn, you can immediately reveal it. When you do so, you may cast it for its miracle cost. It doesn't matter whether it's an instant or sorcery; if you choose to cast it, you do so right away, even if it's at a time (such as your draw step) when you couldn't normally cast it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited April 2012
    I don't really want to get into speculation about Modern or Standard, but Temporal Mastery is very good for EDH. You have plenty of ways to set it up (most notably: Sensei's Divining Top); and the difference between tapping 2 mana vs tapping 5 mana for a Time Warp defines what else you're going to do to with that turn. It can spell the difference between casting something boring versus casting your general.

In combination with an instant-speed draw effect like Top or Brainstorm, you can play Temporal Mastery with other spells still on the stack - let's say somebody else plays Time Warp and you respond by Topping for a counterspell. You don't find a counterspell, but you find Temporal Mastery. With Time Warp still on the stack, you use Top's second ability, draw your Mastery, and cast it. You get your extra turn before your opponent gets his. Hell, you can even tutor for it at instant speed with Mystical Tutor and then draw it with Top. That is sick.

The Lava Axe for one mana on the other hand will be a big player in Legacy I reckon with the help of Brainstorm, Ponder and Magma Jet.

Also targets creatures (unlike Lava Axe).

y hello there tarmogoyf

Feral on

Kaalia of the Vast is loving this set.

Griselbrand in a Kaalia deck along with Breath of Fury is going to be funny.

I already do multiple-attack-phase shenanigans with Dragon Mage and Breath of Fury, having yet another creature that lets me fill up my hand is going to be nice.

I thought having Kaalia as a general would be cute at some point in life, but now she's just a degenerate.

If they print Niv-Mizzet the walker, then I'm going to have to rebuild that again. My poor wallet.

V0Gug2h.png
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Based on previous examples, Miracle will have you casting the spell during the resolution of a triggered ability which is normally a time when you can't cast anything at all….
    Remember that the sorcery and instant timings are permissions, not restrictions like, say, Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir which would block miracles completely.

Good catch on that. Didn't realize he would completely invalidate yet another mechanic.

Teferi's a bastard.

• MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I don't really want to get into speculation about Modern or Standard, but Temporal Mastery is very good for EDH. You have plenty of ways to set it up (most notably: Sensei's Divining Top); and the difference between tapping 2 mana vs tapping 5 mana for a Time Warp defines what else you're going to do to with that turn. It can spell the difference between casting something boring versus casting your general.

In combination with an instant-speed draw effect like Top or Brainstorm, you can play Temporal Mastery with other spells still on the stack - let's say somebody else plays Time Warp and you respond by Topping for a counterspell. You don't find a counterspell, but you find Temporal Mastery. With Time Warp still on the stack, you use Top's second ability, draw your Mastery, and cast it. You get your extra turn before your opponent gets his. Hell, you can even tutor for it at instant speed with Mystical Tutor and then draw it with Top. That is sick.

I'm not a super expert on rules. However, pretty sure if your respond to their Extra turn spell with yours they will still get their extra turns first. Yours will resolve first, get added following the current turn. Then his will resolve, and get added following this turn pushing yours back. I mean, you could still just respond EoT. Mystical / VampiricTutor for this is actually kind of sick, I got to admit, that changes my mind about it a decent amount as far as usefulness in EDH. Top/Brainstorm with it in EDH seems pretty meh though, but most people run these anyway, so its not competing.

edited April 2012
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    Yours will resolve first, get added following the current turn. Then his will resolve, and get added following this turn pushing yours back.

Ah, yeah, you're right. Extra turn effects happen in reverse order of resolution. I always forget that.

Mugaaz wrote: »
    Top/Brainstorm with it in EDH seems pretty meh though, but most people run these anyway, so its not competing.

Yeah, that's my thinking too. It's not like you have to add in a bunch of crap you wouldn't normally play to make it work. It works with cards like Top and Mystical Tutor that are already really popular in EDH.

Feral on

edited April 2012
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=205961&type=card

Will she be legal when Miracle is out there?

There's something hilarious about "Liliana Vess, Maker of Miracles."

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited April 2012
    More AVR cards. They just keep coming.
    947_k81y9e3wvp.jpg947_1ksmg067w8.jpg947_fw1tf4cio7.jpg

I'm trying to limit myself to posting only the ones I like. Dear lord it's a big set of cards.

Taramoor on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Killing Wave looks useless.

oh h*ck
    04102012chapinangelofjubilation.jpg

trololol

When are they going to print a good dragon again?

V0Gug2h.png
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    To be fair, it's going to mean you're not getting that extra turn till turn six.
    04102012chapinangelofjubilation.jpg

trololol

When are they going to print a good dragon again?

What's wrong with racist angels?

Wow, Angel of Jubilation HAAAAAAAAAATES New Phyrexia, and she's never even encountered it.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Preview time is the best part of the Magic calendar year.

Also, totally thought Killing Wave said pay X mana, not X life. As it is, yeah, went from great to meh.

Moonsilver spear reminds me a little of Batterskull. It seems really good.

silence1186 on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I dunno, Killing Wave could be pretty badass versus tokens.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg