As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    You know, if MS would just ease up on the "No controller at all!" doctrine a little bit and make some kind of wireless nunchuck like device with an analog stick and a couple buttons, I bet devs could churn out some interesting things that aren't party game/mini game collections.

Kinda like what's happening with Steel Battalion, I guess.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I wonder how much of the $17 billion loss to TV makers was due to the general public wanting nothing to do 3D TV.

Considering Stringer, in a Wired interview, staked his future on how well 3DTVs did? Probably a lot.

I think the main reason the TV industry is in trouble is that most of the companies got used to the rush of people replacing their old sets with HDTVs over the last decade. Now that pretty much everyone has replaced them by now, people are going back to mostly replacing TVs when they die. I think this is why the TV makers went bonkers over 3DTV, why they keep trying to make Internet TVs work even though they haven't since the first ones in the mid-90s, and why they're gearing up for 4K.

A bunch of that loss was due to an unfavorably strong Yen... this is also what bit Nintendo in the ass.

Edit: Unless I'm missing something Steel Battalion is the only upcoming Kinect game that looks to really do something interesting with the technology.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »
    Looks like Microsoft couldn't get Gears of Kinect to work.

That hasn't stopped them from releasing other Kinect games.

Sure, though precious little that goes beyond what third parties fart out for the Wii.

Sir, I'll have you know Ninjabread Man in an overlooked modern classic.

• Options
    Is Ninjabread Man a real thing? Cause going by name alone, it sounds incredible.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Is Ninjabread Man a real thing? Cause going by name alone, it sounds incredible.

I've seen it in stores. I have never looked further into it than the cover.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    You can buy it for like $5 at Bargain Town.

Algertman on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

LOL. I don't know if Nintendo is trying too hard or if that was perfect..

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    If I was in charge of Nintendo I would pay 2 guys to walk around the offices all day wearing Mario and Luigi costumes.

• Options
    Ninjabread Man exists. It's apparently horrible.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/844/844327p1.html

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    If I was in charge of Nintendo I would pay 2 guys to walk around the offices all day wearing Mario and Luigi costumes.

kinky

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Ninjabread Man exists. It's apparently horrible.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/844/844327p1.html

After Slash and Rainbow are done episode 3, they can bring this back.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Hey, aside from Rock Band Blitz, was there any big news that came out of PAX? Aside from, say, the new class in Borderlands and the revelation that not every Mass Effect fan is whiny?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    twisted pixel announced a new game, but i missed it

also that quantum conundrum will a XBLA/PSN game

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

perfect

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    EVOL wrote: »
    If I was in charge of Nintendo I would pay 2 guys to walk around the offices all day wearing Tanuki costumes.

kinky
    rawr_im_a_raccoon_sticker-p217225725268851097en7l1_210.jpg

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    EVOL wrote: »
    If I was in charge of Nintendo I would pay 2 guys to walk around the offices all day wearing Tanuki costumes.

kinky
    rawr_im_a_raccoon_sticker-p217225725268851097en7l1_210.jpg
    5cdabe0adb041ed64a3240adc43fbce3-d4gi0l0.jpg

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

perfect

Who do I complain to that my 3DS didn't come with the bikini girl?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    twisted pixel announced a new game, but i missed it

also that quantum conundrum will a XBLA/PSN game

Twisted Pixel are a funny lot. I loved The Maw, it was super cute and fun. Splosion Man was awesome but hard. Comic Jumper was full of charm but boring as heck. Ms. Splosion Man was oozing with style but nearly broke me and I never finished it and have no desire to. Gunstringer was pretty dumb and didn't work as well as I had hoped.

So far their games are just getting less and less fun...so a new announcement by them doesn't excite me. That makes me sad. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i really loved both splosion man games, but comic jumper's gameplay wasn't exciting enough for me to finish the game. i did beat gunstringer, and while it's short i personally thought it worked pretty good. i even played the DLC and had a blast with that too.

dunno what their next game will be but i'm hoping they try something other than platformers (they could do another kinect game, personally gunstringer is still the best game for it next to fruit ninja)

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I liked The Maw and Comic Jumper, but everything else they've made has had even better humor, but crappier gameplay.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

perfect

Who do I complain to that my 3DS didn't come with the bikini girl?

That's why it's important to pre- order these days.

• Options
    Bikini Girl was Gamestop exclusive. But if you pre-ordered at Best Buy you could have gotten Banana Hammock guy!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Also important to note where to pre-order, yes.

• Options
    Just want to say that Xenoblade is by far the best JRPG this generation. I have been going back and forth between Xenoblad and FFXIII as an experiment, and the difference is staggering.

FFXIII may be prettier but Xenoblade is by far the better experience, full of content and beautiful open areas to explore and enjoy.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Random question -- is Xenogears connected to Xenoblade in ways stronger than, say, any given Final Fantasy game's connection to any other Final Fantasy game?

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Random question -- is Xenogears connected to Xenoblade in ways stronger than, say, any given Final Fantasy game's connection to any other Final Fantasy game?

Not connected at all. AFAIK the preface of "Xeno" is just in tribute to the game's director, Tetsuya Takahashi.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Doesn't seem like it.

I believe someone told me there are some callbacks to connect the series but for the most part it is its own thing.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    But don't let that turn you off because you really wanted another game in the Xeno series, it's awesome on its own merits.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

If I had to wager, I'd probably say Epic was the driving force behind the cancellation.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Xenoblade isn't terribly connected to the other two series. For one thing, it makes sense. For another, it's fun to play.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    I'd normally love to play Xenoblade, but after doing Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 back-to-back I'm a bit RPG'd out at the moment. Maybe later.

In the meantime, here's a gibbering monkey.
    Retail software sales in the U.S. fell by nearly a quarter last month, while hardware sales dropped by a third despite the recent debuts of Mass Effect 3 and Sony's PS Vita handheld, according to Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter.

He predicts The NPD Group, which delivers its data for March's game sales on Thursday, will report that retail software sales in the U.S. fell for the fourth consecutive month. Pachter says the game industry didn't have enough big releases, in a business that he believes is becoming increasingly hit-driven.

The analyst forecasts software revenues of $565 million for March 2012, down by 23 percent compared to March last year. Pachter admits that BioWare's Mass Effect 3 had a big debut last month and likely led software sales, but he expects its numbers to be relatively modest compared to blockbusters like Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto.

"We do not expect a return to positive growth until May, which features Activision Blizzard's Diablo III, Take-Two's Max Payne 3, and Ubisoft's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier," he says.

Pachter also expects that total hardware unit sales slipped by 32 percent year-over-year, partly due to the launch of Nintendo's 3DS in the same month last year. While Sony just put out its new handheld, PS Vita, in February, the analyst predicts it sold only 125,000 systems in March, which he says is "meaningfully below our expectations."

"We believe the PS Vita is unlikely to match its February unit sales figure in the near future as the buzz caused by its release dies down, and TV commercials become more infrequent," says Pachter.

He adds, "We expect hardware sales to rebound once price cuts are implemented, but expect a recurrence of the dip next holiday, partially buffered by some modest contribution from the introduction of the PS Vita in February and the Wii U later this year."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168206/Mass_Effect_3_PS_Vita_werent_enough_to_boost_Marchs_game_sales_says_Pachter.php

..unable to match its Feb. sales? Didn't the Vita's Feb. sales blow goats?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

And why would they? It's successful to them.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

And why would they? It's successful to them.

I think you missed the joke.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Dragon's Dogma also comes out in May, game's gonna be aces.

IT most likely wont pull down Max Payne 3 numbers or anything, but I just wanted to talk about it cause I'm super stoked for it, and I hope it does well! :rotate:

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "We believe the PS Vita is unlikely to match its February unit sales figure in the near future as the buzz caused by its release dies down, and TV commercials become more infrequent," says Pachter.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168206/Mass_Effect_3_PS_Vita_werent_enough_to_boost_Marchs_game_sales_says_Pachter.php

..unable to match its Feb. sales? Didn't the Vita's Feb. sales blow goats?
    Yeah that was some odd phrasing on his part.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So basically, what he's saying is that March is a slow month for gaming.

Wow, the fact that it has been that way forever and only until recently have they started to change that makes this a complete shock to me.

• Options
    That Nintendo ad redeems Joel McHale from Ubisoft kinda ruining him.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Turkey wrote: »
    I liked The Maw and Comic Jumper, but everything else they've made has had even better humor, but crappier gameplay.

I thought Splosion Man was pretty dull.

Xenoblade isn't terribly connected to the other two series. For one thing, it makes sense. For another, it's fun to play.

So the only connection is the director?

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    It's got some other connections that some people would call gigantic, titantic, game ruining spoilers.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
This discussion has been closed.