As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Minecraft] Beta testers at war

• Options
    XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I've heard of Minecraft for ages, but besides watching a few videos on Youtube (man, there are so many videos of Minecraft there), I don't know if I should get into it. It seems really big, with a huge fan following.

I'm fearing I might get overwhelmed by it all.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Nah, at it's core it's a pretty simple game. It's only as complicated as you want to make it.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If you can still play creative for free then try that. In no time I had been building for two hours and was sold.

I build an Ivory tower next to a Pie in the Sky hovering over a Glass house. Someone said I should do a Stairway to heaven hitting a Glass ceiling by a house divided with a broken fourth wall. I will try and find the pictures I took and post them.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Are there any Minecraft clones or mods which feature globular worlds?

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    eobet wrote: »
    Perhaps wrong place to post, and I generally don't like Minecraft clones, but damn if this isn't impressive looking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKlNskaRPU

god damn that actually looks really cool

I dunno, I like the thin walls and stuff, but there's a certain point where it stops being a block based game and just becomes a low-rez normal game. This feels like it's skirting that line.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Are there any Minecraft clones or mods which feature globular worlds?

There is, or at least was, a terrain generator that made floating spheres of various kinds... not the whole world as one big sphere tho, I doubt that'd be possible with the way worlds are created.

::edit:: here's the generator called Biosphere 1.2.3

Fleeb on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ein, are things still rolling along with your build server? I sort of dropped out when things got busy with school, but it's spring break week here. Want any help?

And by help I mean ridiculous solutions for problems, and sloppily built prototype redstone machines that you'll have to spend hours shrinking and optimizing.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mspencer wrote: »
    Ein, are things still rolling along with your build server? I sort of dropped out when things got busy with school, but it's spring break week here. Want any help?

And by help I mean ridiculous solutions for problems, and sloppily built prototype redstone machines that you'll have to spend hours shrinking and optimizing.

Things are still rolling along, yes. I'll be kicking it into high gear, but I'm holding off for a little bit while N@W runs its events and taking advantage of the interim time to get a lot of stuff set up.

Anyone particularly good with building organic shapes that wouldn't mind giving me a hand? I'm trying to fashion hanging cloth on a gigantic, 160-high man made of blocks, and I'm having a damn awful time with things.

If anyone is willing to help: 24.184.36.89

I'm on 1.2.3 at the moment.

Ein on
  • Options
    Just updated to 1.2.4, and still hoping to get some builders in while we play around with ideas. Same IP as above!

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    Not sure how much I can help, I work a ton, but can usually hop on for a little bit every night.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Been faffing about a bit, decided to add a basement to my house, then went on to decide to make a secret subbasement to hide my enchanting table in. Being relatively new to redstone shenanigans, it took me a while to figure out how to get the top stair piece into position, until it occurred to me that the basement was small enough I could just use two regular pistons and shift the entire row of floor about. Used Creative mode to test it out before applying to real world, now I just need to hunt down some slimes to make the sticky pistons.
    20120324153516.png
    20120324153521.png

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    Haven't really played since 1.0 release and I was getting around 90-100+ fps (with my ati hd4870) will occasional spikes to 50's. now in 1.2.4 its at a constant low of 30's or so. ugh..

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    So Ein, what's the situation with that train station? When I found it on the new 1.2.4 server it wasn't functional. Do you want me to try to make it functional?

XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    It is functional - I just had time frozen on that world, so redstone wasn't running.

The majority of my efforts are focused on the main world right now. However, I could use assistance filming a spot for the Metro so I have a couple videos ready to post when Craftica goes live.

• Options
    The black rail that runs the perimeter of the station, hunting for available stations to drop the player into, is physically broken. The player's cart drops onto redstone wiring. I started to patch it, couldn't decide whether to route the track inside or outside the walls . . . and then I noticed there were empty carts continually circling the green rail, not being captured by cart buffers, so I figured there's more broken than I can fix right now and I stopped.

• Options
    Great. Was finally about to upgrade all my mods to work with 1.2.4 so I could get the new world hight in my map, which would be really great for what I am planning, and about halfway through downloading mods I notice Minecraft is on 1.2.5.

Anyone know if Jeb have made the game so stable you don't need to upgrade everything every time?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Yeah, things are pretty stable. You shouldn't need to upgrade your buildings between 1.2.4 and 1.2.5.

Or did I misunderstand what you were asking?

• Options
    My client is currently v1.1 and so are my mods. Was about to finally get my mods updated to 1.2.4 so I could get the client to that too. My question was whether the difference between 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 was big enough to break mods.

Unfortunately it seems one or two of the mods I use are still on 1.2.3, so I think I'll just wait a week and look again.

I really really wanted to keep my install as mod free as possible to ease transitions to new patches, but once I started a world with IndustrialCraft and BuildCraft it was just a short leap to Red Stone and RailCraft. And then I got Forestry and picked up a few more along this path :)

It's really annoying that Minecraft doesn't have a modloader feature inbuilt, and it seems the fan-made ones and mod packs are slowly turning into hatefests between the pack makers and mod makers, and just between the mod makers in general.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    It's almost like the general Minecraft community is fucking terrible or something. What a surprise.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Crossposting:
    Al Baron wrote: »
    So apparently the Yogscast guys want to cut out the middle man in their Minecraft videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIod3ZUBpys

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Wow, how'd THAT happen? And what was up with the 'up yours Notch!' bit at the end. Was that based on the Minecon thing or did something else happen since?

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    And what was up with the 'up yours Notch!' bit at the end. Was that based on the Minecon thing or did something else happen since?
    He's probably just being flippant about it.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    It actually sounds pretty neat if they can pull it off. In their kickstarter description, they're going more for adventure style maps than the survival aspect of minecraft.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    dRuNk HiPpidRuNk HiPpi Registered User regular
    Wow, it's been a long time since I've stopped by...

-"Oh mighty Rock, Costello, hear my prayer!
    Surely I am cursed among all dwarves,
    for the earth has stopped yielding unto me her sweet cobblestone!
    Strike as I may upon the rock, all it's wonders disintegrate unto dust!
    Woe is me!"

"Thou shalt use a pickaxe!"
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Does anyone use economy mods on their server? I just installed MoneyDrop and iconomy and want to make a server based store, but no idea how much to make stuff drop and whatnot.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    It looks like the yogscast game is going to be like the adventure maps except focuses almost entirely on it. It might be good if the building tools are good, since I KNOW yogscast fans make great adventure maps.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Does anyone use economy mods on their server? I just installed MoneyDrop and iconomy and want to make a server based store, but no idea how much to make stuff drop and whatnot.

We were on NAW for Season 2, and will probably continue to do so come Season 3. As for what to set things to, it'll depend on a few factors: Do you allow for mob farms? How hard do you want it to be? What are you doing with the money, just buying items?

That aside, if say for example you set all the mobs to give you about 20 (whatever you call your currency), it won't be hard to hammer out a few hundred solo in one night.

Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Empirical wrote: »

We were on NAW for Season 2, and will probably continue to do so come Season 3. As for what to set things to, it'll depend on a few factors: Do you allow for mob farms? How hard do you want it to be? What are you doing with the money, just buying items?

That aside, if say for example you set all the mobs to give you about 20 (whatever you call your currency), it won't be hard to hammer out a few hundred solo in one night.

Just something from when I played on a small server that had an econ mod, it allowed for a 'daily wage' to be set up. I took on the task of pricing the store, so I was basing the prices on how many days I thought a particular item/block was worth.

Diamonds shouldn't be less then a day's pay. While sand would be cheaper and dirt would be cheaper still.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular

Just something from when I played on a small server that had an econ mod, it allowed for a 'daily wage' to be set up. I took on the task of pricing the store, so I was basing the prices on how many days I thought a particular item/block was worth.

Diamonds shouldn't be less then a day's pay. While sand would be cheaper and dirt would be cheaper still.

So what would be cheaper than dirt?
    /Rimshot

• Options
    dRuNk HiPpidRuNk HiPpi Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

So what would be cheaper than dirt?
    /Rimshot

Air?

-"Oh mighty Rock, Costello, hear my prayer!
    Surely I am cursed among all dwarves,
    for the earth has stopped yielding unto me her sweet cobblestone!
    Strike as I may upon the rock, all it's wonders disintegrate unto dust!
    Woe is me!"

"Thou shalt use a pickaxe!"
  • Options
    Sadly the moneydrop mod I was using bugged so until they fix that so I don't get money AND useless gold nuggets (literally, they didn't work like a regular nugget would) no dropping from mobs. We still have money and can buy/sell at the store to the server.

In other news, does anyone know of a good bukkit mod that doesn't require client side modification that adds low tech items like muskets? I don't want laser rifles and nuclear reactors, but muskets/flintlocks/etc would be cool. Also magic items. Like, craftable relics that are difficult but rewarding to craft that give you perhaps limited flight, runspeed, stuff like that?

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Don't know if it's for Bukkit, but try Balkon's Weaponmod. It's got lots of low-tech weapons (dagger, javelin, warhammer, etc.) as well as a few powder weapons (musket, blunderbus and dynamite) plus cannon emplacements.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Ein wrote: »
    http://www.fusedcreations.com/adam/metrostation.jpg

I think it's pretty awesome... right now I'm rebuilding a couple sections so they light up better underwater, and then later today I'm going to start building the railways in!

Ha, looks like our central station. (The front is facing away on the map, so you only see the boring sides)

central.png

• Options
    We've just started working on something inspired by this.

Not much to show yet, but this is just the front wall... of the gatehouse. This thing'll be big.

castle.png

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Ein wrote: »
    http://www.fusedcreations.com/adam/metrostation.jpg

I think it's pretty awesome... right now I'm rebuilding a couple sections so they light up better underwater, and then later today I'm going to start building the railways in!

Ha, looks like our central station. (The front is facing away on the map, so you only see the boring sides)

central.png

I'll raise you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd2bR1E9mGU

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Impressive track selection, but pretty cluttered.

Our station has three lines, but each line has double tracks so you can go in both directions at once without crashing into someone heading the other way.

Place cart, sit down, push button for the line you want to take.

edit: actually, four lines now.

Echo on
  • Options
    Nowhere near as fancy, but hey, it works.

map0.png

And a map of our four lines (they branch a bit):

map1.png

map2.png

• Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    Sadly the moneydrop mod I was using bugged so until they fix that so I don't get money AND useless gold nuggets (literally, they didn't work like a regular nugget would) no dropping from mobs. We still have money and can buy/sell at the store to the server.

In other news, does anyone know of a good bukkit mod that doesn't require client side modification that adds low tech items like muskets? I don't want laser rifles and nuclear reactors, but muskets/flintlocks/etc would be cool. Also magic items. Like, craftable relics that are difficult but rewarding to craft that give you perhaps limited flight, runspeed, stuff like that?

None of that should be possible without a client mod and none of it should work (at least correctly, best case it does nothing) server side without a server mod. Currently the bukkit guys want to try to migrate mods to be all server side (or at least as much so as possible).

Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Is there any PA server that is just creative?

• Options
    Ok new question. Can someone explain permissions to me? I have no idea how to work them and I want to set it up so I can use bukkit essentialls and such without letting everyone on the server use all the crazy commands.