As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel vs. Capcom 3] - Salt levels reaching critical mass

• Luncheon LoafLuncheon Loaf Registered User regular
    He's good. Pros haven't gotten a ton of mileage from him but he's easily the most powerful of the characters they added in Ultimate. (I so wanted Dr. Strange to be good. :( )

xbl: halophilicNC
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I love the look of UMvC3, tempted to grab it for Vita, but I've seen nothing but hate for it the past few weeks, most recommendations being to get BlazBlue instead.

Also, Vergil from DMC being in this is crazy awesome. He any good? I'd probably stick with him even if he's lowest tier. :P

Vergil is damn good and I have no idea why more top players aren't using him, like Loaf mentioned. This is very much a love-it-or-hate-it kind of game, and even I didn't really like it at first (prefered Street Fighter 4) but now it's my go-to fighter. I have no idea what kind of online playerbase there is on the Vita, but you should be warned that it can be extremely frustrating going against people who really know what they're doing when you're just getting started. If you're just going to stick with single-player though, you don't have to worry about that.

A lot of the hate comes from people not liking the cheap setups people come up with (online lag doesn't help with trying to block this stuff), or not knowing how to counter certain strong characters like Wesker. You just have to stick with the game long enough to overcome and learn how to win against these factors which, unfortunately, a lot of players can't or won't try. Some people also hate how long the combos are in this game.

Regarding the long combos (which are prevalent in Blazblue as well), I see Marvel as a game of tug-of-war. Your opponent gets their long combo, yay, good for them, they had fun. Now you get your long combo and now you're the one having fun. It's a "give and take" sort of deal but unfortunately this "mechanic" only works if the players are of similar skill levels...if they're not, only the better player gets to have fun and the other player feels cheated. This is another reason why people don't like this game.

Blazblue is a solid game but my (admittedly limited) experience with the game taught me there was just as much bullshit you had to deal with as in UMvC3 (maybe not quite as much, but still a lot). This is vanilla Blazblue though, no idea how the game has changed in it's later iterations. That game just didn't click with me. I also prefer the 3-character team mechanic in the Marvel series. Blazblue definitely has the edge in online latency though on 360, not sure about Vita version.

He's good. Pros haven't gotten a ton of mileage from him but he's easily the most powerful of the characters they added in Ultimate. (I so wanted Dr. Strange to be good. :( )

I don't think Strange is bad...not great, but he makes a pretty solid anchor because his level 3 x-factor teleports + projectiles + spell of vashanti is ridiculous. When I'm using Strider as anchor, the chip damage is awful and there's no way to escape spell of vashanti. He has some pretty decent assists too (his orb thingy and his double lightning shot one) that can complement teleport setups really well. I've run into some really strong Dr. Strange players.

Sending you a friend request now Loaf...

House of Paincakes on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, I essentially advance guard nothing against hulk. Throw finger lasers from super jump height and when he gets in just wait for standing H or gamma charge and punish. Repeat. Can't play offensive against him at all online.

I'll play: Luncheon Loaf on XBL (doom, dorm, sent)

This is one of Spider-Man's few strengths, actually. His combination of weird angles, air web ball and the hitbox on his web zip tend to do very well against armored characters like Hulk and Sentinel.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    I don't know, you can bait out spells of vishanti and they do terrible chip damage on block. I mean, if they have level 3 xfactor and five bars you're a little fucked but then against what character are you not in that situation?

Strange is OK online, like any teleporter combined with a beam assist but his normals are so terribly unsafe and spell of vishanti is pretty bad against people that know how to block/not throw out random ranged attacks against him. And he's soooo sloooooow. Dormammu can at least get something going without absolutely having to charge dark spells but get up in Strange's grill and it's very tough. His back+H counter move is useless. I think if Strange had an air dash he'd be ok because right now he really only has a left-right game unless you can get orbs on the board without getting blowed up. I've seen some strong impact palm loops with him though so maybe he's just waiting to be broken. Without tri-jumps or instant overheads I just don't know.

I do love that you *could* be successful with him. Hell, there isn't a character in this game that you can't win games with. Rocket Racoon just blew up a tournament right? That's what I love about this game. I mean, it's like a Wesker sausage party online but at least there is some variety.

I feel like I've been seeing less and less Weskers lately, at least in player matches. Doom and Spencer are still all over the place though, as well as Dormammu.

I play Dormammu as well so it's not like I'm helping, but he's not nearly as saturated as Doom and Spencer.

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    I've always been of the opinion that 90% of online teams will either have a member of Team Trenchcoat, Doom, or the flavor of the week (Zero, Spencer, whoever else is suddenly revealed to be "good") on them if the player thinks much of himself. If the player is more of a noob, odds of shoto use are about that high instead because LASERS.

Granted I've not played much for a good while, so that may not be as true anymore. Though it at least seemed like it the few games I did play, since they all had Trenchcoat characters on their team.

I see a fair amount of variety in player matches. I imagine ranked has a lot more of what you're talking about.

I never played a whole lot of ranked in MvC3 actually, so no. Granted Zero was a lot bigger in vanilla than in Ultimate as far as overall use went. Though like I said before, last time I did play I literally fought a Dante, Vergil, or Wesker on every team (if not two of the three with Doom, or just the whole assortment). It's one of the reasons I got so burnt out on the game.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It's fairly rare to not find Dante, Vergil, or Wesker as at least one team member for most games, with a heavy predeliction towards Wesker. Naturally, the result is a lot of bullshit teleport crossups because Capcom somehow thought fast, behind-the-enemy teleports were somehow ever a good idea. Capcom really blew it with balance when it came to all this teleport nonsense; all three of those guys wouldn't be nearly so effective if they couldn't spam teleport options to pop up behind you.

Zero I don't mind too much because at least his stuff which places him on the other side of the player doesn't also make him disappear and move all the way across the screen. The only thing that really pisses me off about him is that he can do a basically unblockable air crossup on incoming characters thanks to the way he can move through folks. Otherwise, I tend to actually enjoy fighting against him because it tends to be a very technical, complex fight where knowing how to play matters more than getting lucky at guessing against teleport spam.

And is there something problematic about Dormammu? I use him myself and while he has some good tools, but nothing that makes him anywhere near as obnoxious as the more more overpowered characters.

edited April 2012
    And is there something problematic about Dormammu? I use him myself and while he has some good tools, but nothing that makes him anywhere near as obnoxious as the more more overpowered characters.

I've seen a lot of people place Dormammu in the top actually. He has a sick tri-jump which can easily cross-up with air H, he can set up his own teleport mix-ups with forward + H, he can zone pretty well on his own, and his basic BnB does pretty nice damage (even better with a relaunch).

With Dante, Wesker, and Vergil, their teleports are only scary if they have an assist to back them up. Dormammu is scary all by himself. Dante can only teleport to one location and you can easily see where Vergil and Wesker are teleporting to (unless they are crazy fast with x-factor) but Dormammu has multiple teleport options that he can cover himself with.

Dormammu is an extremely strong character. His downsides are that he's big and slow (on the ground) and just a little more difficult to play as than the characters you're referring to. I honestly think those three get too much credit and I would probably put Dormammu right up with them.

House of Paincakes on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ah, ok, that makes sense. I'm not great with him, but those tools are definitely there.

Don't think I've ever had much trouble with him, though. The tri-jump isn't that hard to watch for and his speed and size really work against him. Even his teleports aren't very fast, as opposed to Trenchcoat gang where they can teleport as fast as a person can react to seeing them do it.

People definitely don't like facing Dormammu third, though. Even if you don't do anything fancy, XF3 plus a couple hyper bars and some extra projectile spam does huuuuge chip damage. Killing members of Team Trenchcoat that way is on of my favorite things, especially if that last guy ends up coming in to just get mauled by a couple of tracking fireballs and some pillars before succumbing to the inevitable. Not to mention that the tiniest screwup with calling an assist can easily result in the enemy losing two characters and earning you a swift turnaround.

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Zero is the worst. Ambiguous lighting bullshit and buster makes everything safe. Character has no weaknesses.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    Zero has pretty low health. A lot of characters can one-shot him without too much difficulty with a DHC.

I mean, he's still amazing, but that's one weakness.

Zero has pretty low health. A lot of characters can one-shot him without too much difficulty with a DHC.

I mean, he's still amazing, but that's one weakness.

Health nerf is such a dumb way to balance characters. I guess it worked for sentinel since it stopped people from spamming drones assist too much... for point characters it doesn't really mean too much.

Characters I hate:

I still think it means something, especially with Zero because teams are often built around him.

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    If I ever get this game I'm going to make a team of just terrible characters and troll every match. Dan style.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkuQs4QUw1E

Also, apparently there's a bounty for $500 if anyone gets top 8 using Phoenix Wright in every match at EVO.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    If I ever get this game I'm going to make a team of just terrible characters and troll every match. Dan style.

Royal Flush beat you to it. He uses Thor/MODOK/Viewtiful Joe.

He actually places pretty high in tournaments too.

Zero is the worst. Ambiguous lighting bullshit and buster makes everything safe. Character has no weaknesses.

Yeah, that lightning thing is exactly what I'm talking about. If it wasn't for that and the fact that he can do that stupid thing where he can cancel into it without actually doing it, I'd say he's a pretty reasonable, but powerful, character. Instead, he gets to have a shitload of safe attacks that he can very easily combo out of, plus a strong projectile and crossup game.

The only reason I don't hate him at the moment is that Haggar has invincibility options in dealing with Zero and a single non-hypered Haggar combo can take Zero down. About the only time it really pisses me off is when somebody uses that OP Doom Hidden Missile assist; that assist pisses me off probably more than any other assist in the game, if for no other reason than it makes advancing on somebody a massive hassle.

Yeah, I wish they would disappear if Doom got hit. Don't similar assists work that way i.e. Sentinel?

Yeah, Sentinel's drones disappear once Sentinel takes a hit from anything, though Sentinel's drone hyper will continue no matter what once it starts.

Doom's assist is just another one of those elements where I wonder who the hell was in charge of balance. Fair amount of damage, two different chances to hit you (going up and coming down), holds you in place for way too long, tracks your position, stays even if Doom is hit, takes a huge amount of time to clear the screen so the other player can act without being interrupted, and, even better, works perfectly when combined with any air combo so the missiles OTG the opponent.

Then you have stuff like, say, Captain America; they graciously gave him some buffs, but then left his shield throw assist exactly the same instead of letting you have the OTG version. Great call on that.

edited April 2012
    Every game has it's strong and weak characters, but I wouldn't count on Capcom being done with this game. I bet a balance patch is coming at some point but they got a lot of flak for the "quick fix" type stuff they did before, so it's not surprising that they would wait a little while, see how things level out, and actually take the time to put some thought into what they're doing.

Nothing is broken in this game though, and I don't mind the game at all in it's current state. People playing with Doom's missile assist aren't that common (at least in my experience), especially in higher level play, and there's equal levels of bullshit with many other characters. Yes, it's a very annoying assist, but to call it imbalanced is a stretch in my opinion.

A lot of people might call Firebrand's unblockable swoop setups "imbalanced" as well, but yet he's still considered a pretty weak character. X-23 has her unblockable level 3 on incoming characters too, but she isn't considered very strong. This game has a very strange metric on things like imbalance and fairness regarding characters, seeing as how characters like Wesker, Vergil, Doom, and Dante don't have those types of tools.

Speaking of X-23, I was watching some replays of a tournament this weekend where a guy would use X-23 in second slot, activate x-factor level 2 and do an infinite combo to kill their opponent's second character, then go into the level 3 unblockable on incoming (while still having x-factor) into a combo to finish it. The infinite was just disgusting and then BAM, guaranteed killed third character from ALL that meter they just gained.

House of Paincakes on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    The best way to counter missile spam is to have a dude with beam supers who can punish. HSF and Chaotic Flame are good for this, as is any other super which has decent coverage.

edited April 2012
    You have to be quick though. If even one missile gets off it may interrupt your beam hyper. Well, not HSF.

I think relying on Dorm to cheese out an XF3 Chaotic Flame spam win is the wrong way to play him. (Just like Gimlet spam w/ Hawkeye or Spell of Vishanti). With super jumping this isn't even a reliable strategy. I think a winning strategy is to burn meter and XFactor intelligently through the match when you can end players or assists. Dorm is too strong as a point character to languish at 3rd spot, IMO. I love the TAC into him M,H,fly,L,H,Black Hole,M,H,Black Hole,S,Purification,Super combo.
    Yeah, Sentinel's drones disappear once Sentinel takes a hit from anything, though Sentinel's drone hyper will continue no matter what once it starts.

Not his heavy drones. I've been having great success lately using these when people get aggressive. Because they rush Sent, get hit by the bombs, then get punished.

Luncheon Loaf on

I will find an EVEN WORSE team!

Man Thor is actually kind of annoying. He has a Doom-esque in his ability to chain multiple overheads to a low on the way down. He can also change direction in the air very quickly and has a quick GTFO super. His beam is terrible, his assists are terrible (maybe good for extending certain combos though) but has a ton of health.

Some combination of: Phoenix Wright, Iron Fist, Tron, She Hulk, Hsien-Ko would give it a run for the money as "worst team" I think.

edited April 2012
    I never really bothered with TACs much, but is there any way to control the side of the screen your character comes in from a TAC? It seems like a side exchange will always come from the opposite site, so I can't keep my opponent in the corner if they're already there.

I'm mainly talking about going from Firebrand to Dormammu. If I want to keep my opponent in the corner, it seems I have to do either up or down which, if my opponent knows that, limits my options.

Man Thor is actually kind of annoying. He has a Doom-esque in his ability to chain multiple overheads to a low on the way down. He can also change direction in the air very quickly and has a quick GTFO super. His beam is terrible, his assists are terrible (maybe good for extending certain combos though) but has a ton of health.

Haha, yeah, I agree. I know he's supposed to be "so bad" but it's one of those things where you don't know how to fight him because no one plays him. Same thing with MODOK.

House of Paincakes on

Some combination of: Phoenix Wright, Iron Fist, Tron, She Hulk, Hsien-Ko would give it a run for the money as "worst team" I think.

Well that's good news, because I love Tron.

I never really bothered with TACs much, but is there any way to control the side of the screen your character comes in from a TAC? It seems like a side exchange will always come from the opposite site, so I can't keep my opponent in the corner if they're already there.

I'm mainly talking about going from Firebrand to Dormammu. If I want to keep my opponent in the corner, it seems I have to do either up or down which, if my opponent knows that, limits my options.

Haha, yeah, I agree. I know he's supposed to be "so bad" but it's one of those things where you don't know how to fight him because no one plays him. Same thing with MODOK.

No, side TACs always switch sides so yeah, they're not awesome for keeping people in the corner. With Dorm however it's not the end of the world. Having them on the opposite sides gives you time to store dark spells, throw out a Stalking Flare, call assists to teleport mixups, etc or zone them with purifications.

Plus they guess side a lot anyway because draining a bar from an opponent is a strong move. No one ever guesses up unless you do it a lot.

• KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The embargo on Capcom Captivate 2012 has been lifted. For those who can't remember, AE was announced around this time.

If I don't get any announcements this week I'm through with Niitsuma :evil:

EDIT: A Gambit comic has been announced today. Coincidence?

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
    Every game has it's strong and weak characters, but I wouldn't count on Capcom being done with this game. I bet a balance patch is coming at some point but they got a lot of flak for the "quick fix" type stuff they did before, so it's not surprising that they would wait a little while, see how things level out, and actually take the time to put some thought into what they're doing.

Nothing is broken in this game though, and I don't mind the game at all in it's current state. People playing with Doom's missile assist aren't that common (at least in my experience), especially in higher level play, and there's equal levels of bullshit with many other characters. Yes, it's a very annoying assist, but to call it imbalanced is a stretch in my opinion.

A lot of people might call Firebrand's unblockable swoop setups "imbalanced" as well, but yet he's still considered a pretty weak character. X-23 has her unblockable level 3 on incoming characters too, but she isn't considered very strong. This game has a very strange metric on things like imbalance and fairness regarding characters, seeing as how characters like Wesker, Vergil, Doom, and Dante don't have those types of tools.

Speaking of X-23, I was watching some replays of a tournament this weekend where a guy would use X-23 in second slot, activate x-factor level 2 and do an infinite combo to kill their opponent's second character, then go into the level 3 unblockable on incoming (while still having x-factor) into a combo to finish it. The infinite was just disgusting and then BAM, guaranteed killed third character from ALL that meter they just gained.

I'm mostly in agreement with you, though I think X-23 is way, way better than she gets credit for. Especially in Ultimate. Firebrand is an odd duck, though. The only real weapon he has is the unblockable setup; other than that he relies on just being aggravating rather than effective.

Even though the game isn't broken, I think there are a number of common sense changes they could make to flatten the power curve without breaking anyone. For example, Ninja Snarl's suggestion of giving Cap the OTG assist; we could use more OTG assists anyway. Everyone more or less agrees Wesker should lose the glasses buff. Maybe consider taking away Zero's ability to cancel his Raikousen, or make the lightning not come out before he moves.

edited April 2012
    No, side TACs always switch sides so yeah, they're not awesome for keeping people in the corner. With Dorm however it's not the end of the world. Having them on the opposite sides gives you time to store dark spells, throw out a Stalking Flare, call assists to teleport mixups, etc or zone them with purifications.

Plus they guess side a lot anyway because draining a bar from an opponent is a strong move. No one ever guesses up unless you do it a lot.

Well, the main reason I want to keep them in the corner after TACing into Dormammu is to do a stalking flare while they're grounded (rather than purification xx chaotic flame), DHC into luminous body, and then do an unblockable swoop on wakeup while they're blocking the stalking flare. It really only works in the corner unfortunately.

If I side TAC into Dormammu, can I still do that fly combo you listed earlier or is that corner only? I've seen it done a few times but never actually took the time to learn it.

templewulf wrote: »
    Even though the game isn't broken, I think there are a number of common sense changes they could make to flatten the power curve without breaking anyone. For example, Ninja Snarl's suggestion of giving Cap the OTG assist; we could use more OTG assists anyway. Everyone more or less agrees Wesker should lose the glasses buff. Maybe consider taking away Zero's ability to cancel his Raikousen, or make the lightning not come out before he moves.

Oh, I completely agree. I'm not trying to say the game doesn't have its imperfections, I just think the claims of imbalance are totally overblown.

I think part of the problem of character saturation is so many people got used to only playing as those strong characters in vanilla, so now they're firmly rooted in their "comfort zone." It can take a lot to get someone to try someone new, especially the characters that haven't been explored much so there's no good starting point for them.

I can relate to this though. My gaming time is pretty limited so it's hard to justify spending my time figuring out a character on my own rather than looking up character guides online if the character has already been figured out by someone else.

I think I'm going to have a couple hours free tonight if any of you guys are down for games. I've been thinking of dropping Strider and putting Akuma as my anchor lately and I've been itching to try it out. I'll probably be on around 6:15 PST.

House of Paincakes on
    edited April 2012
    Agreed on more otg assists for extending combos. I don't blame people for picking Wesker. You're almost forced to if you want extended combos unless you're playing the a character that can reliably self-OTG and relaunch (victor von badass comes to mind).

Zero I don't know. Maybe because I have hidden missiles and drones I don't get cheesed out by his lightning as much. It does help that he gets blowed up by a single combo usually. Wesker having an additional buff is pretty dumb.
    If I side TAC into Dormammu, can I still do that fly combo you listed earlier or is that corner only? I've seen it done a few times but never actually took the time to learn it.

It's not corner only. You just have to be quick to judge what type of purification you need to lift them (usually heavy, unless it's corner then it's definitely light). Also you have to hit chaotic frame on the first frame of purification or they drop out due to massive hitstun deterioration. Sometimes I don't even go for the super, or throw out a stalking flare instead of the chaotic flame and run setups.

Luncheon Loaf on

I actually think cap (and most other characters) are fine without OTG assists. Most characters (like cap) have otg moves that can extend combos after calling an assist.

Characters I hate:

edited April 2012

I actually think cap (and most other characters) are fine without OTG assists. Most characters (like cap) have otg moves that can extend combos after calling an assist.

Actually, I think he's referring to using Cap as the assist, meaning his low shield slash assist doesn't hit OTG to help whatever character you have on point, even though the low shield slash is OTG when Cap is on point.

You're right though, Cap is pretty good on his own since he can relaunch himself when he's not in the corner.

House of Paincakes on
    Oh, I completely agree. I'm not trying to say the game doesn't have its imperfections, I just think the claims of imbalance are totally overblown.

I guess it just depends on what you mean by imbalanced, then. Even though we like to remind everyone that Wesker isn't invincible, he's still way, way better and easier to use than low-tier characters like Thor and Hsien-Ko. In addition, his assist adds huge value to most teams. It's not broken to the point of requiring Wesker to be on your team to win, but when we amateurs can theorycraft easy solutions I'd say "imbalanced" is a good word for it.

It'd be nice to see a statistical breakdown of character usage. I'm not sure how you could compile this easily. Checking people's gamercards in ranked matches and building a spreadsheet?

It'd be nice to see a statistical breakdown of character usage. I'm not sure how you could compile this easily. Checking people's gamercards in ranked matches and building a spreadsheet?

I wonder if Capcom added any hooks for stuff like that. It's certainly possible to do, given how much data Bioware published about Mass Effect.

edited April 2012
    I think Eventhubs did a thing a while back for SSF4 where their forum users would log the characters they ran into in online matches and they compiled everyone's data into one list. Kind of a neat, workaround idea.

House of Paincakes on