As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Official Video Game Kickstarter Thread

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    So this guy worked on some of the worst Star Wars titles of all time?

Man, and I really wanted that t-shirt too.

• PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I just had to fund Al Lowe. Especially after his portrayal of Sierra Online as a charred cityscape in that video.

I was tempted to...but another remake of the first game doesn't seem all that exciting.
    I was hoping for newness.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    PatboyX wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I just had to fund Al Lowe. Especially after his portrayal of Sierra Online as a charred cityscape in that video.

I was tempted to...but another remake of the first game doesn't seem all that exciting.
    I was hoping for newness.

It's not by his choice(read the FAQ).

Slimcea wrote: »
    Guys, do you like Sherlock Holmes?

Seems to be a kickstarter to bring back some FMV adventure/puzzle games. They aren't asking for much too ($55K), and a measly $9 gets you all the releases. Worth supporting in my books, after all, who doesn't like a bit of detective mysteries?

Rather support these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GodOPoyNIYg

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not too clear on the Class of Heroes 2 Kickstarter. The game exists already in Japanese form, so the kickstarter is just there to add more features and create a deluxe edition for the inevitable port?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm trying to get my friend Wes over at Secret Arts to try another Kickstarter for his Valor Seed game. He's doing good stuff with it.

I think maybe I can talk him into doing one for his sophomore effort if the first one is well-received(and I'm writing the story for that one).

Note: I've got nothing to do with Valor Seed other than perhaps some moral support.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    1. The Shadowrun thank you video is awesome.

2. Game devs will now have to have good NPR-style fundraising chops to flourish in the new world order.

3. "Aura Tactics?" $5? Sure.

4. I have a kickstarter problem. (Cf. #3, above.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not too clear on the Class of Heroes 2 Kickstarter. The game exists already in Japanese form, so the kickstarter is just there to add more features and create a deluxe edition for the inevitable port?
    Cthulhu Saves the World did a similar thing for the PC version, although that was already in English on XBLA.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

It's already been released in Japan. And the company have the rights to publish (without the VA) in the States.

The Kickstarter is a mess, it's for an unspecified deluxe edition and to make a better job of translation, English+Japanese VA and include some fixes. The company apparently don't have the best reputation for improvements though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Wow. Banner saga just announced a ton of info. With the extra money they've hired on new staff.

-Music by the guy who did journey: Austin wintory
    -Sound work by the team who did la noire: kpow audio
    -Animation by people who did dc universe, epic Mickey, and star hawk: powerhouse studios.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So the music and animation will be great while the sound work will suck?
    (I have very un-fond memories of LA Noire.)

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I'm of the opinion that LA Noire was not a very good game, but I don't think the sound work contributed to any of that. I remain very hyped for Banner Saga.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    Al Lowe answers some of the most popular questions regarding Leisure Suit Larry, especially why it's a remake and not a sequel(i.e. it's Codemasters' fault).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF_yvZ5l0oI

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Perhaps this is a tad dramatic to say, but damn do I feel like Kickstarter has started some sort of gaming Renaissance.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Bad AspBad Asp Registered User regular
    As long as a lot of graphic adventure games are going the Kickstarter route (with a lot of big names, like Tim Schafer, Al Lowe, Jane Jensen, etc.) I'm crossing my fingers HOPING that Steve Purcell goes this route for a grand-scale Sam and Max game!

Bad Asp wrote: »
    As long as a lot of graphic adventure games are going the Kickstarter route (with a lot of big names, like Tim Schafer, Al Lowe, Jane Jensen, etc.) I'm crossing my fingers HOPING that Steve Purcell goes this route for a grand-scale Sam and Max game!

There's been mounting pressure to push Toys for Bob into using Kickstarter to finally get a real sequel to Star Control 2 into existence.

I mean, Skylanders is nice and all guys, but come on, Star Control.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    So apparently the Yogscast guys want to cut out the middle man in their Minecraft videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIod3ZUBpys

steam_sig.png
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Perhaps this is a tad dramatic to say, but damn do I feel like Kickstarter has started some sort of gaming Renaissance.

Kinda depends on how the games come out. If most live up to expectations, than I'll agree with you wholeheartedly.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

Kinda depends on how the games come out. If most live up to expectations, than I'll agree with you wholeheartedly.

True enough. Most of the ones I am excited for have a pretty good pedigree behind them, but despite the wild success these people have had in getting Kickstarted, we have yet to see an actual finished project come from it.

I am not normally an optimist, but I expect good things.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    That class of heroes kickstart looks pretty pathetic all told. I have seen healthier horses in a bottle of Elmers.

steam_sig.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Bad Asp wrote: »

They may be episodic, but the telltale games have been absolutely fantastic. Granted, I haven't played the originals, but while they had a slightly slow begginning, the second and third seasons have been absolutely fantastic. And they've been steadily building on each other. The 3rd season feels like a comprehensive story arc, but, because of the episodic thing, all the episodes have distinct flavours to them. Seriously, it you can, get them on steam. It is worth it.

And I'd assume that since they seem to have been moderately successful, it isn't really a franchise that's seen to need a big sequel. As cool as it would be, I doubt that he could get enough money for some independent thing when telltale are already making games, and I doubt that telltale themselves need the money all that much.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Personally, the arena outside of gaming interested me as well. My girlfriend summed it up simply by saying, “I wish they’d do a Kickstarter to resurrect Firefly.” If money’s the only object, then possibilities like that begin to come to mind, which I find very exciting. As much as people would pay for adventure games, think how many people would donate to Nathan Fillion or Joss Whedon to take back Firefly. I’d pay a LOT.

Oh god I hope that doesn't happen. Or at least my wallet does.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • JarkeldJarkeld Heemskerk, NH, NLRegistered User regular
    I've come across a horror/Suspense Adventure game kickstarter: Delaware St.John part 4.
    The main website is located here.
    The kickstarter can be found at kickstarter.com/projects/1065983707/delaware-st-john-4-asylum-of-the-lost. Loved the first 3 games. Well worth a look.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Jarkeld, as much as you might actually be a legit poster, just registering and having one post promoting something isn't always a good sign.

• JarkeldJarkeld Heemskerk, NH, NLRegistered User regular
    I realize that. I will try to be active in more sections of the forum.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Nekro

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/343838885/nekro
    WHAT IS NEKRO?

Nekro is an overhead, randomly generated action game about summoning evil forces of darkness to do your bidding!

Hailing from the era of great classics such as Myth: The Fallen Lords, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Dungeon Keeper and more, we are creating a game rooted deep in PC gaming's history, but with all the flourishes you've come to expect from a modern experience.

Combining full HD graphics, a unique premise, solid gameplay, and tight controls Nekro can be one hell of a game - but not without you...
    WHO IS DARKFORGE?

DarkForge is a group of industry vets hailing from studios such as Blizzard, Sony, Microsoft and more. We have many years of experience creating quality games for both ourselves and large AAA studios. We have the knowledge, talent and drive to bring you this game and we will stop at nothing to make it happen. All we need is you!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I don't see that Yogs game going anywhere at all.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Holy shit I'm going to be C2B with Avellone news! But he posted it before me in a different thread :(

This interview talks about Kickstarter a bit. It's an interview with Chris Avellone, the guy on board with Wasteland 2 now that it hit $2.1 million. @lowlylowlycook quoted a bit of it before but here's more:
    I’d argue Kickstarter isn’t what the industry needs, it’s what players need. Who’s to say “dead genres” are dead? Are they? Who made this decision? And worse, who decides that those games won’t be financed? Publishers have every right to watch their bottom line, but for a long period of time, that was largely the only financial model developers had – and the only way most players were going to see games get produced.

Kickstarter changes that, and asks the players what they want. You’re not asking a publisher about an R.O.I. You’re asking players if they’d pay to see a genre they love be produced. It’s voting, it’s targeted people directly. It’s a fresh perspective, and I think it’s a great agent for change for games that often wouldn’t make it past a publisher pitch stage – adventure games, for example. As such, assuming there’s a demand, and there is, then suddenly you’re able to meet that demand. Sounds like everyone wins. Publishers don’t have to worry about returns, and developers have an outlet for their games.

Not to say the traditional model should be discounted. It’s a different beast with different expectations, and there’s definitely a core audience that supports it. Comparing the two models, I don’t feel Kickstarter is at the level yet where it could fund an Uncharted 4 or the latest Call of Duty with the same production values, for example, but those two titles are still something the public will want that only a publisher can deliver on.

I do feel that when Double Fine achieved the success it did, a number of business development and managers in the game industry took note. While it may not change their practices, it was significant enough for them to take notice.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Jarkeld wrote: »
    I've come across a horror/Suspense Adventure game kickstarter: Delaware St.John part 4.
    The main website is located here.
    The kickstarter can be found at kickstarter.com/projects/1065983707/delaware-st-john-4-asylum-of-the-lost. Loved the first 3 games. Well worth a look.

This looks really good.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Found this one that has my Zombie Boner all turgid.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandswept/the-dead-linger?ref=category

Zombie Survival Sandbox? Mmmmmmm
    The nice thing is it is already funded with 19 days to go, as it could be one of those "bit more than they can chew" type situations, but i'll be watching this one to see how it unfolds.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Schafer hugstarting the kickstarters

RPS: So how did you go from looking for investors so recently to going for a Kickstarter? I guess I have two questions, one is ‘how did you make that decision?’ and the other is ‘what would you have done without Kickstarter, what would have been happening right now?’

Al: (laughs) Paul, I should let you answer this, but I think Tim Shafer made the decision for us didn’t he? (laughs)

Paul: Yeah, we were asked by Geoff Keighley of Spike TV to come to DICE and do an interview, and so when I met Al and brought him up the escalators, Tim and Al saw each other, hugged, and I told Al about Tim’s campaign on Kickstarter, and Tim said ‘Y’know, you guys should do that with Leisure Suit Larry’, and Al said ‘Y’know, that’s a great idea’.

C2B on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular

The graphics and music seem solid based on the video but the fact that there's no gameplay footage has me a little worried.

Looked a little deeper and that kickstarter looks like a mess.

Graphics are mostly stock RPGMaker art.
    First project from the team.
    Lots of grand promises but little in the way of concrete examples.
    They're going to use part of funding for "copyrights & trademarks" - i.e. they have no clue what they're doing.
    One of the rewards is to voice your own character - i.e. the voice acting is going to be atrocious.

This has every indication of being one of those ambitious indie RPGs that gets cancelled soon after development begins. Except this time, they'll have hundreds of angry donators expecting them to fulfill on their promises.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The reward tiers are really messy and more than a little confusing, on top of everything else.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Surprised that this ambitious Ryan Payton Kickstarter hasn't been mentioned yet. It's really making the rounds this morning.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan

steam_sig.png
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    Surprised that this ambitious Ryan Payton Kickstarter hasn't been mentioned yet. It's really making the rounds this morning.

This makes me wish I had a device on which to play this game.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular

That's interesting. In the past I've read that giving out iOS copies of your game as pledge rewards is a bad idea because your need up front sales to boost you to the top selling games list so that you get more exposure. Also the 50% kickstarted funding is interesting. In a way they will have to serve 2 masters.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular

That's interesting. In the past I've read that giving out iOS copies of your game as pledge rewards is a bad idea because your need up front sales to boost you to the top selling games list so that you get more exposure. Also the 50% kickstarted funding is interesting. In a way they will have to serve 2 masters.

Mixed-funding models open up a variety of possibilities, sorta bridges the gap between "AAA GAME MAJOR BLOCKBUSTER WITH FUNDING FROM EA, MICROSOFT AND THE EASTER BUNNY" and "Dwarf Fortress is just this guy, you know?"

I've been wondering about saving my own money and finding a freelance game programmer who will produce enough of a prototype of my idea to get kickstarted, and take the rest of his/her pay from the Kickstarter funds.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
This discussion has been closed.