As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Android Games!

• Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    Temple Run is finally out on Android.

• Frankie777Frankie777 Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Wow. The whole thing with DosBox being on the phone is blowing my mind. You can throw all of your old adventure games on there.
    Anyone know if the anDosBox or DosBox Turbo are any faster than aDosBox on android? Been using aDosBox, and I'm quite dissappointed by the speed.

Edit: To answer my own question, it seems that DosBox Turbo is the fastest, followed by anDosBox with aDosBox in a distant third according to this video.

Frankie777 on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Frankie777 wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Wow. The whole thing with DosBox being on the phone is blowing my mind. You can throw all of your old adventure games on there.
    Anyone know if the anDosBox or DosBox Turbo are any faster than aDosBox on android? Been using aDosBox, and I'm quite dissappointed by the speed.

Edit: To answer my own question, it seems that DosBox Turbo is the fastest, followed by anDosBox with aDosBox in a distant third according to this video.

I haven't used Turbo, but I did buy anDosBox and found it to be way, way better than aDosbox. Note: I have a DroidX.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So Temple Run came out yesterday. Not that I can run it, but it's pretty popular or something. *waits for promised hero academy port*

Edit: Oops. We have a page 6 now.

Frem on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    So Temple Run came out yesterday. Not that I can run it, but it's pretty popular or something. *waits for promised hero academy port*

It's fun - but it has a tendency on my phone to lag at just the right moment to not register my turn and send me plummeting to my death. My phone isn't the most powerful but I run much more demanding games that run better than this one. I'm hoping an update will smooth out performance.

I just got Dungeon Raid and lost two hours. Is the XP needed to make a shiny drop to level up a non-adventurer class cumulative across multiple sessions? Or do I need to get it in one go?

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I just got Dungeon Raid and lost two hours. Is the XP needed to make a shiny drop to level up a non-adventurer class cumulative across multiple sessions? Or do I need to get it in one go?

It's cumulative. I've leveled up off the second or third boss some rounds where I'll occasionally go entire games without leveling up at all.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

It's fun - but it has a tendency on my phone to lag at just the right moment to not register my turn and send me plummeting to my death. My phone isn't the most powerful but I run much more demanding games that run better than this one. I'm hoping an update will smooth out performance.

I've been playing it and it's pretty fun, a good one to load up when you've got a few minutes to wait for something. And no Temple Run, you may not have any of my money for upgrades.

forumsig.png
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Temple run crashes pathetically often on my galaxy nexus.

theSquid wrote: »

I tried playing more last night and it crashed on me frequently as well. I'm on a Kyocera Echo (don't everybody be jealous at once).

• Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Weren't people really mad Tiny Tower for Android requested too many permissions for no good reason?

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

I tried playing more last night and it crashed on me frequently as well. I'm on a Kyocera Echo (don't everybody be jealous at once).

I'm getting frequent crashes on the Droid X as well. It's especially annoying because I don't think it's a performance issue. The game runs smoothly and doesn't hitch or slow down at all from what I've seen. My crashes generally happen in the menus.

It's cumulative. I've leveled up off the second or third boss some rounds where I'll occasionally go entire games without leveling up at all.

After playing for several hours, I'm not convinced there's an invisible global XP component at all. The third time I played, I unlocked the Mage. Ten games later, I'm significantly better at the game, and am regularly making it to level six or so on assorted difficulties, but haven't received any more drops.

I think it's random.

I'm getting frequent crashes on the Droid X as well. It's especially annoying because I don't think it's a performance issue. The game runs smoothly and doesn't hitch or slow down at all from what I've seen. My crashes generally happen in the menus.

yeah I'm pretty convinced its shit coding.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Are any of you guys using lower end phones or tablets?

I just picked up a ZTE Score for peanuts and have been checking out a ton of different games, but it's become apparent that a lot of them require a little more oompth than what I'm packing.

My biggest problem is that I've seen a few games on the marketplace that are listed as being "incompatible" with my phone. I wanted to try Need for Speed Shift because I was in the mood for an arcade racing game that would let me customize my cars into ridiculously blinged out neon colored riceburners, but since it was incompatible the store wouldn't let me purchase it. I was able to buy it from somewhere else, and it works fine. No issues with controls, no force closes, and it plays at full speed.

Anyway, I figured if any of you guys were also rocking slower devices maybe we could share info on what games worked well on them.

Also, @voldaran , I tried graBLOX and it's pretty awesome, it scratches that weird strategic puzzle itch that's so hard to reach with a lot of the stuff on the marketplace, but the banner on the bottom is distracting when I'm trying to visualize the chain of grabbing. What's a guy gotta do to get an ad-free version from you?

Temple Run works just fine on my Note, not seen a single crash or glitch.

forumsig.png
    darleysam wrote: »

They did an update a couple of days ago which fixed the worst of the bugs. It certainly works a lot better on my Nexus, but I've still seen it crash once or twice.

• Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I bought Game Dev story 3 days ago. I have played it just about every minute I could get where I wasn't home playing mass effect 3 MP. Well WELL worth the measly $2.50. Dungeon Scroll however is one of the most mediocre word games Ive ever played and to boot its only a word game. I was under the impression that there would be a whole lot more to it, nope. Thats $3.00 you can't even get back the scum bags.

Blood Drive on
    It still lags occasionally on my Echo but it's much, much more stable and playable now. I'm sure over the next few weeks we'll see a few more updates to smooth things out. Super fun game actually.

It won't load on my Score. Sucks, because it looks kinda cool.

I don't understand the system requirements on Android devices at all. I can play 3D racing games with multiple car models onscreen, but I can't play R-Type.

I don't understand the system requirements on Android devices at all. I can play 3D racing games with multiple car models onscreen, but I can't play R-Type.

Well there's the tablet and mobile versions of Android (3 and 2.3.3 respectively, I believe?), so is it possible that R-Type is released for 3 and not 2.3?

forumsig.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Anyone tried Dungeon Village by KairoSoft?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Quell is free in the Amazon Market today.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

No, but I've played other Kairosoft games and they're all really fun.

A bunch of us did a page or two ago. It was deemed fun, much like all Kairosoft games.

Well there's the tablet and mobile versions of Android (3 and 2.3.3 respectively, I believe?), so is it possible that R-Type is released for 3 and not 2.3?

It's probably version shenanigans, but it still bugs me.

Also, I downloaded Quell as it was the app of the day, and it was a lot of fun, but meeds way more levels. I beat it in one sitting and I only used the hint system once.

Also, I downloaded Quell as it was the app of the day, and it was a lot of fun, but meeds way more levels. I beat it in one sitting and I only used the hint system once.

There's like, 80 levels. And it's normally a dollar. That's a reasonably significant level to dollar ratio. Did you get perfect on all of them? FWIW, the sequel is also a dollar.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular

A bunch of us did a page or two ago. It was deemed fun, much like all Kairosoft games.

The formula they use to create their games is pretty clear after a while. I think games are good for a little while, and it's nice that they try to contextualize the game by making some pop culture references.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Why are people talking about running Adventure games in Dos Box instead of using the Android port of Scumm VM?

Why are people talking about running Adventure games in Dos Box instead of using the Android port of Scumm VM?

As luck would have it, I had ScummVM, the sky plugin, and Beneath a Steel Sky installed. I saved the game on the first screen, died, and attempted to reload. Crash to launcher. This does not inspire confidence.

Or maybe it's because my Vizio tablet is still running Gingerbread.

There's like, 80 levels. And it's normally a dollar. That's a reasonably significant level to dollar ratio. Did you get perfect on all of them? FWIW, the sequel is also a dollar.

The sequel is definitely on the list of apps I plan on buying. I just hate it when I get into the groove of a game and then it ends.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So been trying a few games lately.

One touch drawing makes me feel far dumber then I rightfully should, but figuring out the solution seems so easy in hindsight. The name pretty much explains the entire premise. You get a series of lines connected by dots and you have to draw over every single line without overlapping and without lifting your finger.

Also been somewhat 'hooked' on the Rage of Bahamut game. Which is just kind of a card collecting thing. Based on time, as it were, 1 point of stamina per minute or whatever. It's still compelling enough to pick up once every hour and a half when I know my bar is full. It's managed to get played at least for four or so days now, so thats pretty decent. Again, though, its really just collecting cards, then making little decks to mug other people with. So its definitely for a specific type of person. nqp39605 < Going to be one of 'those people' and put a referal code here in case anyone decides to try it. Because I like swag.

Also tried the newer released Kemco game Aeon Avenger. It's pretty alright, definitely oldschool jrpg. Writing included, so its pretty hammy. Still, it's a rather good throwback and I guess if the older console style JRPGs from back in the 16 bit era still hold a warm fuzzy spot for you, may want to try it while it's cheap. I think its currently on sale.

steam_sig.png
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Used your Rage code, Choco, looks interesting.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I pretty much get addicted to anything that lets me collect cards. I have a weakness for them. It's a sad thing. Still, it fills that little need for some 'thing' I can do every couple hours on my phone while at work or something that doesn't take too much attention.

That and bars that fill and numbers that go up. Oh the euphoria.

steam_sig.png
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I didn't use a code unfortunately but so far haven't had issues with rupies yet for Rage of Bahamut. It has been fairly engaging so far, though I need to start adding fellows. Haven't looked into an order yet.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    I'm quite desperate for Assassin's Creed: Recollection to appear on Android; I borrowed an iPod to try it out after a heavy recommendation, and I got vaguely hooked after completing the tutorial missions.

Unfortunately, they haven't exactly expressed a fondness for developing for Android...

Nothing has managed to hold my attention so far, although I wonder if that's partially down to my potentially diminishing interest in more generic, fantasy strategy games (Majesty, Battle for Wesnoth, Dungeon Village...). I wanted Templar Assault to be so much more than it was, too.

I need stuff that's either professionally written, or written well - nothing depletes my enthusiasm for a game quicker than 'Your going the winner!' appearing on-screen.

edited April 2012
    Well I'm addicted to Death Rally
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.remedy.DeathRallyFREE&feature=top-free

And I'm not spending a penny on the thing. Yes you can spend your money or perform tasks to unlock things, but since I actually enjoy the game and don't just want to acquire more numbers so I can stop, I'm happy just to play it and unlock things when I do. Probably because I played the original shareware version to death as a child. Such a good game that I found myself hooked on, and while this doesn't quite feel identical, there's enough of the appeal here to keep me coming back.

Also, I really want to get FMH2012 (football manager handheld 2012 for those who love full titles), but it's £6.99 and I know I'll never look away from the screen again. Seriously, Chamionship/Football Manager games are crack-coated-crack to me, and I'll find myself unable to sleep for thinking about tactics and signings. It's glorious, if you like Excel: The Game
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sigames.fmhi&feature=top-paid

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    FM on my phone is remarkably tempting. Looks like most of the key features have made it into this incarnation as well. To an extent I've seen and done it all before; taken teams from the bottom to the top, restructured Europe's elite... But then as a phone app, I'd essentially be paying £8 for a friend who'd be with me at all times to soak up those moments of boredom and solitude.

That would be the key difference between this, and the PSP version I fleetingly engaged with a few years ago - assuming it doesn't molest the battery too heavily.

Edit: I'm seeing £6.99 as the price, so it's already £1 closer to being recruited.

Silent Tristero on
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, I've not played a FM in a good number of years now, so even the "lacking a few features" complaints are likely to be needless features from recent PC iterations that I've not touched. As long as I can buy and sell players, fiddle with their wages, pick the teams and then save/reload until I beat Arsenal 7-0, I'll be happy.

edit: where the hell did I get £7.99 from? £6.99 is, of course, the actual price. The delicious, tempting price.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • TreadLifeTreadLife CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The classic X-Men arcade machine game is free for Android on Amazon today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00564E6SM/

steam_sig.png