As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East Tabletop Freeplay Thread

12346»

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the events labeled as "New and Experienced Players" would be perfect for you @JeepCrew. One thing I've noticed over the years is that the official WotC events are always great for not making players feel bad for being a novice. They're there to promote their game, and they want to be as inclusive as possible.

• TechnoShamanTechnoShaman Shaman ZpocalypseRegistered User regular
    DArtagnan wrote: »
    P.S.-I've played Z-pocalypse (I'm local) it really fun. You all should stop by and try it out.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to playing myself, seeing as how I'm a satellite developer on the project.

On a different note, I'm curious if anyone will be playing "All Flesh Must be Eaten".

As I'd love to try a dedicated Zombie Pen and Paper game for a change.

• ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    As someone who has run Learn To Play as well as the convention delve I certainly recommend Learn to Play. Even if you're just rusty, we try to keep things moving and fun. It's not a two hour lecture on the rules.

The other sessions all have experienced DMs. I had completely new players in the DM challenge last year, which WotC recommends experience for and it was fine.

I encourage you to come play D&D and you can blame Brian Liberge if you'd like.

• DArtagnanDArtagnan Registered User regular
    Anyone hosting an Eclipse phase game?
    I recently came across the core book (so I sort of know the rules) but would love some solid experiences in the game.

• hurricane_jackhurricane_jack Registered User regular
    DArtagnan wrote: »
    Anyone hosting an Eclipse phase game?
    I recently came across the core book (so I sort of know the rules) but would love some solid experiences in the game.
    I believe Jack Graham is planning to be in the Games on Demand area, so Eclipse Phase will very likely be on the menu. Come on by!

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    So, anybody thinking about bringing Mordheim or Necromunda?

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I guess I can ask this in here. Will they have the Paint the Line card game for purchase? I swore I read somewhere that there will be an early release for people at PAX.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I guess I can ask this in here. Will they have the Paint the Line card game for purchase? I swore I read somewhere that there will be an early release for people at PAX.

It will be shown at PAX, but I don't know if it will be in a purchasable form.

zerzhul wrote: »

It will be shown at PAX, but I don't know if it will be in a purchasable form.

I'll just have to try and make the panel. It might have been Kiko on Twitter saying it would be available, but I am not going through old tweets.

bYf6vNQ.png
    For what it's worth, there is a Paint the Line booth listed on the Tabletop floor plan. Whether that's just a demo or a sales booth isn't clear.

For those of you interested in the indie Games on Demand event, the location is a bit different than I described earlier in this thread. We'll be located in areas D1 and D2, just past the WOTC block and behind the Tabletop HQ booth and lending library. We're very close to the Pandemonium Books and Games booth as well, who will be carrying many of the games.

• XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    A few months ago, Tycho posted that he had recently been obsessed with a game called Flash Duel, which plays sort of like a fencing bout: players move their characters back and forth along a "bridge", jockeying for position and trading blows until one lands a hit, scoring a point and winning the round. Best 3 out of 5 rounds wins the game. It's simple, and only takes a few minutes to play, but it gets deeper. There are 20 characters, each with their own unique abilities, and there are several other game types, including partner matches and a WoW TCG-style "raid" mode against a single powerful opponent.

Sirlin Games, the game's designer, has also made a game called Yomi, which is not as simple or quick, but is much richer for it. The basic idea is that it's a fighting game, albeit one you play with cards instead of a stick and buttons. Attacks can be Blocked or Dodged, Dodges and Blocks can be Thrown, and Throws can be interrupted by Attacks. It gets more complex, as attacks have different speeds (so one will land before the other if both players attack at the same time) and there are 10 characters who again have unique abilities to switch up gameplay (although now they also have different speeds and strengths as well). Play goes until one fighter's health is depleted.

So both of these games seem pretty cool, right? I, and I'm sure some of you, would like to play them, and PAX seems like the place. Sadly, Sirlin Games does not have a booth at PAX, so I don't think purchasing them is going to be an option. This leads me to my questions:

1. Will the Tabletop Free Play area have Yomi and/or Flash Duel available to check out, and

2. If not, is there anybody coming to PAX who owns one or the other and would be willing to bring it along to a meetup one one of the days?

Xerlith on
    You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
  • XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    I just bought the complete Yomi set and I love it. I'll be bringing it and I hope to play some games.

I freaking love my Yomi set, hit me up and maybe we can get a few rounds in.

You people let me know when and where you're doing this. I would love to try this game.

You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
  • Harlequin ShadowlandsHarlequin Shadowlands Registered User regular
    Last call for up to 2 more players for my Vampire The Masquerade V20 game this Sat from 12 to about 5p, please get in touch ASAP to get your character all setup beforehand. This is a cam based game, any 7 cam clans welcome. email adminATwodnewsDOTnet

-Harlequin
    Admin of World of Darkness News
    News, Community site for the WoD MMORPG
  • elderbotelderbot Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be going to PAX alone again this year. In the past I've found it harder than expected to find games to join, even with using twitter. This year I'm bringing a stack of games, setting up a table, and hoping some of you will join me. I'll have a little white board and will post to twitter(@Elderbot) about open games. I'll teach anyone and welcome new players. If you have any interest in the following games this weekend, contact me.
    I plan on bringing:
    Alien Frontiers (2-4 players)
    Dominion (2-6 players)
    Elder Sign (1-8 players)
    Last Night on Earth (with expansions) (best 5-6 players)
    And maybe Race for the Galaxy
    If anyone has OGRE/GEV, I'd be down to play, though I'm new.

• SamKanaiSamKanai Registered User new member
    Here's a different kind of question. Can I donate some games to the Enforcer's game library? I have many many boardgames and don't play some of them any more. Can I just bring them to the Freeplay area and donate them? I'm thinking of donating a Ticket to Ride, Goa, Mystery of the Abbey, and maybe a few others. I figure they'll get more use at PAX then in my dusty closet.

SamKanai wrote: »
    Here's a different kind of question. Can I donate some games to the Enforcer's game library? I have many many boardgames and don't play some of them any more. Can I just bring them to the Freeplay area and donate them? I'm thinking of donating a Ticket to Ride, Goa, Mystery of the Abbey, and maybe a few others. I figure they'll get more use at PAX then in my dusty closet.

I don't believe they accept donations of games at PAX. You might be able to work out something with an E after pax though. Or someone might come in here and contradict me :P

edited April 2012
    How about them tabletops?

TheLawinator on
    Protomen is playing all of Act 2 with a 5 piece string section this year. Kinda awesome as hell.

I think you posted in the wrong thread.

I did. Goooooooodbye nowwww.

Ok. I played a game at like 2:30-3am on Saturday. A card game (with I believe purple backs).

You pass out the cards evenly among everyone. The cards are just like a deck of playing cards, but there are more than 4 cards per set.

I would play 4 12s. The next person has to play 4 11s or lower (has to be a set of 4). You keep going until everyone runs out of cards.

Name that game!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • adastraadastra Registered User regular
    I was really excited to see how busy Tabletop was for much of the weekend - there was always something going on, and plenty of demos of things I'd been curious to see/try. I ended up picking up a few new games from the vendors, mostly things that have been on my wishlist for a while - Robo Rally, Rattus, and Panic Station.

How did everyone else fare?

• ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    I was happy to see Games on Demand there. On Sunday they made running Marvel Heroic easy. They just gave me a table, thanked the gods, and kept sending me players.

• PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    Thanks to everyone who made it to a Light Weight RPG demo!

If anyone had any additional questions feel free to shoot me a PM (I was running the LWRPG demo tables).

• klzklz Registered User regular
    Ok. I played a game at like 2:30-3am on Saturday. A card game (with I believe purple backs).

You pass out the cards evenly among everyone. The cards are just like a deck of playing cards, but there are more than 4 cards per set.

I would play 4 12s. The next person has to play 4 11s or lower (has to be a set of 4). You keep going until everyone runs out of cards.

Name that game!

Sounds like The Great Dalmuti - a nicer version of the public domain Presidents/Asshole/Scum game with a larger deck.

klz wrote: »

Name that game!

Sounds like The Great Dalmuti - a nicer version of the public domain Presidents/Asshole/Scum game with a larger deck.

YES! Thank you!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    Scorpius wrote: »
    I was happy to see Games on Demand there. On Sunday they made running Marvel Heroic easy. They just gave me a table, thanked the gods, and kept sending me players.

I remember when you came by. People had been asking for your game for quite a while.

I loved that Games on Demand was there. Definitely going to take more part in that last year. This year I only had time to play a few games and run one (Dread).