As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everything is now inadequate: Post PAX Blues

The CannonThe Cannon Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
This has been my second PAX, my first being PAX Prime last year. Both experiences were amazing and make me feel as if I have returned to my childhood. Wandering, talking about games, discovering and playing things I never knew existed. Popping into the console freeplay area to play a buddy in a fighting game, spending way too much money on trading cards, and striking up conversations with complete strangers that are likely going to have a similar outlook as you. There is no judging, no feelings of awkwardness, no bad feels. In a word, it's all good.

But then I return home. Here in Athens, Ohio, I am leading project upon project in the game dev area of my school. I'm graduating in June, and thinking of starting a start up company so I can make indy games in the hope that I can be on the PAX Expo Floor someday. That thought keeps me going. The thought of my PAX Pilgrimage every year, the Mecca of geekiness, keeps me going.

For those of you who are PAX vets, is this something that comes with every PAX? No matter how wiped I am during the Expo, I never want to leave. And when I have to, I am filled with sorrow much as Dick Cheney's black heart is filled with the hatred that sustains his very being. Does it ever get easier? Or does it steadily get worse until the post PAX Blues are at depression levels of disappointment with the world around you?

The Cannon on

• fyeahckingfyeahcking Registered User regular
    You'll be over it before long, but the first week back home with your regular Monday-Friday routine is pretty brutal.

Enjoy the feeling while it lasts and feel fortunate that you get to attend both PAXes. :)

• Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
    As I opened my 3DS this morning, I remembered that there wouldn't be 10 Mii's waiting.
    And that I had to go to work.
    It was sad.

On the bright side, the round of that "Revolution!" board game with random people (the very last one of the con!) was really fun, and I may actually end up finding and purchasing a copy. <3 diceless strategy games.

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Yeh, I remember the first year of Pax East. I loved every day of it. On that Sunday coming home, I actually cried a little. It was realizing that I was having to come back to my normal daily activities where most people couldn't care less about games. I knew that there would be no more meeting random people who wanted nothing more than to share in the enjoyment you get from gaming. My therapist (yeh, I know, probably TMI) suggested that I use this to get through the rest of the year. You know, it's something to look forward to. OK, it sounds corny, but other than my husband, family, and friends, this is the most important thing to me. Because of this, at the 2nd Pax East, it got better. This year, I still miss it, but it doesn't feel like going drug withdrawal either!

• ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    I agree with jdixon. It's not goodbye - it's see you next year. It's hard not to feel a little bummed, but it won't be too long 'til we're all back on the show floor.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • greeneyedzekegreeneyedzeke Registered User regular
    Pretty much half the IT department I work for was at East this year and let's just say that the offices are a bit exhausted/bummed out today. We did do an impromptu lunchtime round of one of the dice games we bought at the convention, though, so that helped raise spirits a bit.

• The CannonThe Cannon Registered User regular
    I think that's what I really need. I just need to play some more Cthulu dice. Maybe with drinking. Cthulu dice would actually make an awesome drinking game now that I think of it...

• WinyderWinyder Registered User regular
    I find it helps to remember this - PAX is not "real life". It's what we want it to be. Take the friendships and experiences back with you to the "real world" and make it as fun as PAX.

Or as close as you can manage, at least. Use Facebook, Twitter, G+, local game days with friends, even that warm welcoming smile you gave everyone in the halls. Don't lament that it's over, but instead start trying to figure out how to get "real life" to be closer.

Until we come home, again.

• OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, coming home from PAX is a major bummer. All the moreso when you realize you forgot to trade contact info with the fun people you met. Oops!

OminousLozenge on
    Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    I live about 45 minutes from Pax and even I shed a tear leaving Boston on Sunday. This was the first year I stayed in the city all weekend and did the after parties. I will never go back!

• JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    This being my second PAX, I tried to prepare for the PPD(post PAX depression) but it still got me. I sat in my room Sunday night in a daze. All night I kept looking for the magic green light on my 3DS, but it stayed off. I'm trying to stay positive on my flight home, but close to tears. Trying to hold on to what was said best earlier, it's not goodbye it's see you next time.

• The CannonThe Cannon Registered User regular
    JayDfromMA wrote: »
    I live about 45 minutes from Pax and even I shed a tear leaving Boston on Sunday. This was the first year I stayed in the city all weekend and did the after parties. I will never go back!

How were the parties? I really wanted to check them out, but I had work to take care of on Friday night so I missed the Extra Credits meet-up. Still got to talk to Portnow, which was awesome. One of these days I'm gonna meet the rest of them too. </determined>

• ErickaJoErickaJo MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    The only street pass I got this morning was my roomie. There is no great concert tonight. I had to go to work.

On the plus side, my cat has finally forgiven me for ditching him for the weekend.

• ChenzillahChenzillah Resident Geek Scarborough, MaineRegistered User regular
    This was my first Pax and my god I thought I was crazy for feeling this way just like you guys... I'm so glad I'm not the only one haha...

I guess I could describe the feeling as, homesickness, you're leaving behind a lot of people who share the same interests as you and we are all looking to reconnect to deal with the "PPD" (as Jimmy said) through some way.
    Plus these forums have become a nice read everyday once I actually started to use it post pax... lol definitely will continue to be an active poster

• KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    I miss my streetpass lighting up like crazy... I begged my gf for a 3ds for christmas knowing pax was right around the corner, and the handheld scene was something I wanted to take part in... I never used it before, but during pax, I fell in love with seeing it go off a million times a day... I actually started to carry it around hoping it would go off, but every time I pen it... no one new :( and like always I miss the atmospher... I just miss pax... and I want it back!!!! :(

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    JimmyWild wrote: »
    This being my second PAX, I tried to prepare for the PPD(post PAX depression) but it still got me. I sat in my room Sunday night in a daze. All night I kept looking for the magic green light on my 3DS, but it stayed off. I'm trying to stay positive on my flight home, but close to tears. Trying to hold on to what was said best earlier, it's not goodbye it's see you next time.

I miss getting your tags too! We must have been in the same floor of the hotel because I got you a few times a day. :-)

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • ShiosShios Poopfeast420 Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    I've been attending conventions for years, so I've gotten accustomed to leaving. Yeah it sucks, but it will be back before you know it.

• ad1had1h Raleigh, NCRegistered User regular
    As a kid I went to about 3-4 summer camps every summer and as many as I could manage (while maintaining a job) during my teen years. The feeling I get leaving PAX is very similar even if the time we spend together is so short in comparison. I spent the whole day pouring over PAX news articles, pictures, and any panel video/audio I could find. I'm going to feed on this PAX energy as long as I can!

• KainEnableKainEnable Registered User regular
    It really kicked in after the final omegathon game at the closing ceremonies when Jerry said, "Well you know what this means..." We all did. At least we have the forums.

PAX really revitalized me again to start working on the Indy game I have been putting some time into. I will be back next year.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I stayed home sick yesterday - for some reason Sunday night I had a fever pretty much straight through the night - either side effect of the cold I was getting or maybe the sausage sub I ate. So I stayed home and kept my son (7 yrs old) home to rest since he had a similar cold.

Even though we only went Sunday he spent the day decorating his old red backpack with pokeballs and badges from this year's PPL in preparation for next year. I told him next year just he and I would go (my wife will stay home and have a man-free weekend). He informed me we would be in costume. I'm now trying to convince him that dressing my 250lb + frame as Pikachu to his Ash doesn't make sense scale-wise.

As of right now he has us as Ash + Pokemon on Friday, Finn + Ice King on Saturday, Sunday is still undecided. What have I created?

• KyussKyuss Registered User regular
    I got home to Pa late Aunday. I was fine all day Monday. Then I came into work today.

So so blue....

• goatbertgoatbert Alexandria, VaRegistered User regular
    It always feels like this. This is my third PAX and I'm always sad to see it go. But I've got the Darkmoon Faire in Baltimore next weekend, and PAX East 2013 is less than a year away!

• ChenzillahChenzillah Resident Geek Scarborough, MaineRegistered User regular
    I stayed home sick yesterday - for some reason Sunday night I had a fever pretty much straight through the night - either side effect of the cold I was getting or maybe the sausage sub I ate. So I stayed home and kept my son (7 yrs old) home to rest since he had a similar cold.

Even though we only went Sunday he spent the day decorating his old red backpack with pokeballs and badges from this year's PPL in preparation for next year. I told him next year just he and I would go (my wife will stay home and have a man-free weekend). He informed me we would be in costume. I'm now trying to convince him that dressing my 250lb + frame as Pikachu to his Ash doesn't make sense scale-wise.

As of right now he has us as Ash + Pokemon on Friday, Finn + Ice King on Saturday, Sunday is still undecided. What have I created?

haha i have a feeling thats gonna consistently change over the months until it gets closer to 2013 ... i recommend logging his ideas!

• goatbertgoatbert Alexandria, VaRegistered User regular
    The Cannon wrote:
    And when I have to, I am filled with sorrow much as Dick Cheney's black heart is filled with the hatred that sustains his very being. Does it ever get easier?

And no, it doesn't get easier, that is why he keeps harvesting new ones.

• Blade FusionBlade Fusion Timmins, ONRegistered User regular
    My first PAX was Prime in '08. That was my first time encountering the PAX blues. It happens every year, no matter what. It's a tough feeling, but kind of a good feeling. The way I see it, it means that PAX meant something to you, and it creates a drive that makes you want to come back every year to relive that experience and feel those emotions. Don't get me wrong though, it's sad as hell whenever PAX ends.

Chenzillah wrote: »

haha i have a feeling thats gonna consistently change over the months until it gets closer to 2013 ... i recommend logging his ideas!

I'm going to go with selectively logging his ideas. When he thinks that I'm dressing up like Princess Bubblegum that's not getting written down :)

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Yeah, I know what you mean. This was my first PAX and it was probably close to if not the most fun I've had in my life. Luckily the Westin mezzanine was active with tabletop long after PAX ended which helped a bit. Now that I got home as of yesterday evening, I'm kinda bummed, to the point that I decided to take the last of my vacation today and just chill out a bit. Luckily, I've got some pictures and other stuff to remember it with and it took me all of 5 seconds after PAX ended to decide that I need to make it to prime as well.

So, in short.... here we go again! See everyone in 4-12 months!

1tLJUH2O.png
  • JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    I miss getting your tags too! We must have been in the same floor of the hotel because I got you a few times a day. :-)

OMG you were crushing ghosts in my Find Mii! Thanks so much for helping me beat the second time through! :)

• firedragon0781firedragon0781 VermontRegistered User regular
    This was also my first PAX. I got home early yesterday afternoon, and one of the first things I did was start planning for next year. I was feeling a little better about being home today until I went to the store. I literally stopped in the middle of one of the aisles and thought to myself, OMG I FORGOT MY PASS, I NEED TO GO BACK AND GET IT!!!! It should be interesting when I go back to work tomorrow.

• srboyceboatsrboyceboat Registered User regular
    It does get easier to some degree. You learn to let go of that weird little utopia and get through your world. I always wind up on a PAX high and have a pretty awesome couple of months following it. This same basic thread after East 2010 was ridiculously long. In fact, I registered on the forums essentially for the reason of trying to understand that feeling. The "Welcome Home" tagline feels cheesy and overwrought when I try to explain it to others, but the sentiment is really quite genuine.

Picture is Dave Dorman's (http://www.davedorman.com/)
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    JimmyWild wrote: »
    Chorazin wrote: »

OMG you were crushing ghosts in my Find Mii! Thanks so much for helping me beat the second time through! :)

No problem man, very happy to help bust some ghosts! :-D

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I think that everyone has that feeling to some extent. It was easier for me last year (this was my third East) but a little more difficult for me this year likely because I was enforcing so an entirely different experience. Just remember you have the memories and both pictures and videos will be uploaded in the coming days. Also, Prime is fast approaching and under a year til next East.

• sigma8sigma8 Registered User regular
    I am bummed more at what I missed than missing what I did. I was definitely a victim of attempting a lot and accomplishing very little. It felt great to be there though. Can't wait to hopefully manage my time better at next year's!

sigma8 wrote: »
    I am bummed more at what I missed than missing what I did. I was definitely a victim of attempting a lot and accomplishing very little. It felt great to be there though. Can't wait to hopefully manage my time better at next year's!

That's one thing I'm going to have to manage very differently next year. My first two years were all 3 days solo, this year was just Sunday with my wife and son. Next year will be all 3 days with my son so I'm going to have to be very careful to schedule us an itinerary each day with down time built in and not "wander aimlessly" as I tend to do by myself.

• CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    I'll also echo the idea of "Take a little bit of PAX home with you and spread it around." I think I've found something simple and clever enough that I can do it right away: Table-top free-play night. I've got enough board games and enough friends with random board games that we can easily run three to five games at once. We've always had a board game night, but we limited it to one or two games a night and only one group playing. Easy solution: Play all the games with all the people.

• DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    Still feeling post-PAX blues here.

This was my fourth PAX, although my first one not working (I'm usually helping Intel with stuff). I regret I could only be there Friday, and only for a few hours before my flight (budget being an issue). For the first time I got to experience the joy of waiting in line (barely any sarcasm here...I had my DS and I've never, ever been able to play multi on it EXCEPT at PAX) and everyone I encountered was great. When I'm at PAX I can talk to anyone about anything, because we all have the same loves and interests. When I'm working a booth I have a very different experience. This was far better.

• The_SavesThe_Saves Magistrate of Crazy Town KirklandRegistered User regular
    So, this was my sixth PAX (5 prime, 1 East) and my blues are for Boston in general. I've been looking into jobs because I want to go back so bad. It's never been so unfortunate that I live in Seattle. This place is great, but Boston sounds even better right now.

Ummm...
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I too have felt the post PAX blues and this being my 7th PAX, I can now safely say that I have an antidote to this malady, it's called 'PAX Friends'. These are people you have met while at PAX and maintained contact with. Speaking for myself I am part of a group of PAX attendees who gather every Sunday in a pub to play D&D and other tabletop games. This weekend will see us playing the games we bought at PAX and thus maintain the spirit of PAX, even if the event itself is over.

If you can do something similar, I urge you to do so as it makes the Post PAX Blues not so potent. Sadly however it does not eliminate it entirely...

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    The_Saves wrote: »
    So, this was my sixth PAX (5 prime, 1 East) and my blues are for Boston in general. I've been looking into jobs because I want to go back so bad. It's never been so unfortunate that I live in Seattle. This place is great, but Boston sounds even better right now.

Isn't it a lovely city? I say this only having seen the downtown/airport area of course, but I love the architecture of the place. And don't forget, fellow Northwesterner (Portlander here), we're just coming out of the rainy season so our cities are about to get a lot nicer. :)

• Hopsecutioner85Hopsecutioner85 Registered User regular
    My PPD is getting worse as the days go on. I find myself only wearing tshirts obtained at booths while scanning the internet for photos or going through all my own photos and editing them or posting on this forum for any reason. Basically Ive got serious PAX on the brain and waiting a whole year really pisses off my need for instant gratification... and they say heroin is bad

• StealthyPirateStealthyPirate Registered User regular
    I think I have looked at all the pics and explained them all to my wife hundreds of times already. In doing this she saw how excited and happy it all made me. She wants to go with me next year in full cosplay mode to see what made me so incredibly happy. This helped out my down mood. I live and work in a very scarcely populated area and thought I wouldnt miss the crowded space but its different when everyone around you is into the same stuff you are.