As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I always got the impression most people want the Infinity Ward guys to lose and suffer horribly because they caused Call of Duty to become this huge juggernaut of the game industry. I thought the line of thinking was that without them there is no Modern Warfare 1/2/3/infinity and bro-gamers that everyone seems to hate so much.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ...So basically what you're saying is...a lot of people are stupid.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    I thought the line of thinking was that without them there is no Modern Warfare 1/2/3/infinity and bro-gamers that everyone seems to hate so much.

No, Halo and Madden would still exist, and therefore so would bro-gamers.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I always got the impression most people want the Infinity Ward guys to lose and suffer horribly because they caused Call of Duty to become this huge juggernaut of the game industry. I thought the line of thinking was that without them there is no Modern Warfare 1/2/3/infinity and bro-gamers that everyone seems to hate so much.

...that's the first I've heard of that sentiment. Most of what I've heard is people wanting Activision to lose because they're money-grubbing bastards who would rather gut a dev team than pay them the promised bonuses.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I thought the line of thinking was that without them there is no Modern Warfare 1/2/3/infinity and bro-gamers that everyone seems to hate so much.

No, Halo and Madden would still exist, and therefore so would bro-gamers.
    If I played Madden 96 does that make ne a bro gamer

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    More specifically, it's typical for big, deep-pocketed companies to try to delay action for as long as possible to bleed their less-funded opponents dry.

Skullnumbers, it's the founders of Infinity Ward suing Activision. Were you around for that whole debacle? I forget.

Yeah, West and Zampella were suddenly fired for insubordination or some such thing. Lawsuits ensued.

"The case also includes The Infinity Ward Group, which is suing for unpaid bonuses, and rival Electronic Arts, which Activision claims conspired against them to destroy the Call of Duty franchise."

This line is confusing me though. I don't remember EA's involvement in the ordeal.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    More specifically, it's typical for big, deep-pocketed companies to try to delay action for as long as possible to bleed their less-funded opponents dry.

Skullnumbers, it's the founders of Infinity Ward suing Activision. Were you around for that whole debacle? I forget.

Yeah, West and Zampella were suddenly fired for insubordination or some such thing. Lawsuits ensued.

"The case also includes The Infinity Ward Group, which is suing for unpaid bonuses, and rival Electronic Arts, which Activision claims conspired against them to destroy the Call of Duty franchise."

This line is confusing me though. I don't remember EA's involvement in the ordeal.

I think Activision dragged EA into it during the countersuit, since that's where West and Zampella went.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I think Activision dragged EA into it during the countersuit, since that's where West and Zampella went.
    I think Activision basically accused EA of poaching them in a way that violated some laws.

• Options
    Something like that.

In other news, all hail our new tablet overlords:
    If gaming weren't already a big business, the explosion in mobile-tablet sales is going to push it into the stratosphere.

That's the finding of Juniper Research, which says in a new report that the rapidly increasing tablet-user base and the unique form factor of the device will push total end-user games revenues on tablets to $3.1 billion by 2014, up from $491 million in 2011.

The report finds that the large screen size and graphics capabilites of tablets will encourage users to buy games and in-game items. Users see more of a game’s detail, resulting in an improved experience – better than that of playing games on smartphones.

Juniper says since tablets are generally more expensive than smartphones, a typical tablet owner has more money to spend on game downloads and on in-game items.

"The tablet is the perfect device for playing mobile games – the screens are large enough for the user to see the action, no matter how big their hands are," said report author Charlotte Miller. "Tablet owners also tend to have a larger disposable income, as tablets are often bought outright rather than subsidized by operators. Higher user satisfaction with games and a bigger wallet mean that tablet games look to be highly lucrative.’

Other key findings from the report include: social and casual games will account for the lion’s share of mobile games downloads; spending on tablet games will increase dramatically, accounting for nearly one-third of overall mobile games revenues by 2016; and mobile-game revenues on feature phones will halve over the next five years.

http://www.vision2mobile.com/news/2012/03/tablet-gaming-poised-to-generate-huge-dollars.aspx

• Options

...that's the first I've heard of that sentiment. Most of what I've heard is people wanting Activision to lose because they're money-grubbing bastards who would rather gut a dev team than pay them the promised bonuses.

I'd like to see Activision lose this one. They had no faith in Modern Warfare, and wanted IW to keep doing WW2 shooters, even though the consumer base was tired of WW2 shooters. This is part of the reason why there are IW CoD games and Treyarch CoD games.

So then, MW is a huuuuuuge success and Activision screws over IW. Dick move...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Have I mentioned that everyone here should be reading The Trenches? From today's tale:
    There was this game company…..Ok, among the many things for which they were actually famous for, this little nugget never made it to the light of day. They had a sister studio in the UK from which they would recruit programmers. They’d offer moving costs, entry-level salary (which is OK because taxes are cheaper here, right?) and even find them an apartment walking distance from work.

The recruits would be under strict instruction from the HR director when they came over to explain to Customs and Immigration that they were here on vacation so they could get hired without having to get in queue for an H1B1 visa. They’d show up, “luck” into a job, and then the company had an immigration attorney that would handle getting them a work visa.

Only here’s the deal. Once you get one of those work visas, if you lose your job, it expires in 48 hours. If you quit or get fired, you have 2 days to find another job or you’re an illegal. And oddly enough, there was always some kind of delay with the lawyer if someone got too close to getting their green card.

So they would import these fresh-out-of school programmers, get them settled, and then stick them on projects that were mandatory 70 hours a week at least, and would have them by the balls until the project shipped or they got laid-off. One of those projects was on 7x10 for the entire 2 years that I worked there.

It almost backfired once when a new guy and his wife were on the way into the country. Their flight was delayed, the line at Customs was long; the wife got testy. They got pulled out for additional scrutiny and the wife said, “Can we hurry this up? He has to be at work on Monday.” They got sent back to the UK that night, on their own dime, barred from re-entering the country for a while, and no job waiting back at home. Nothing happened to the Company.

I regret I never figured out a way to nark on the HR director without hurting the genuinely sweet bunch of guys that they dragged over here and burned out.

Jesus. Any guesses?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Have I mentioned that everyone here should be reading The Trenches? From today's tale:
    There was this game company…..Ok, among the many things for which they were actually famous for, this little nugget never made it to the light of day. They had a sister studio in the UK from which they would recruit programmers. They’d offer moving costs, entry-level salary (which is OK because taxes are cheaper here, right?) and even find them an apartment walking distance from work.

The recruits would be under strict instruction from the HR director when they came over to explain to Customs and Immigration that they were here on vacation so they could get hired without having to get in queue for an H1B1 visa. They’d show up, “luck” into a job, and then the company had an immigration attorney that would handle getting them a work visa.

Only here’s the deal. Once you get one of those work visas, if you lose your job, it expires in 48 hours. If you quit or get fired, you have 2 days to find another job or you’re an illegal. And oddly enough, there was always some kind of delay with the lawyer if someone got too close to getting their green card.

So they would import these fresh-out-of school programmers, get them settled, and then stick them on projects that were mandatory 70 hours a week at least, and would have them by the balls until the project shipped or they got laid-off. One of those projects was on 7x10 for the entire 2 years that I worked there.

It almost backfired once when a new guy and his wife were on the way into the country. Their flight was delayed, the line at Customs was long; the wife got testy. They got pulled out for additional scrutiny and the wife said, “Can we hurry this up? He has to be at work on Monday.” They got sent back to the UK that night, on their own dime, barred from re-entering the country for a while, and no job waiting back at home. Nothing happened to the Company.

I regret I never figured out a way to nark on the HR director without hurting the genuinely sweet bunch of guys that they dragged over here and burned out.

Jesus. Any guesses?

Nintendo.

It's always the one you least expect.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Phoenix Games

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options

Jesus. Any guesses?

Its EA!

EA is The Lord of Terror, dont'cha know.

• Options
    Hm!
    SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Yesterday, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, Senior District Judge Thelton E. Henderson entered an order preliminarily approving a class action settlement Baron and Budd reached with GameStop Corporation, the world’s largest video game retailer. The settlement concerns used video games sold by GameStop to consumers who are unable to access certain downloadable content and online features (DLC) unless they pay an additional $15, even though the packaging of the video games claims that the DLC is available for free with the purchase of the game.

Under the settlement, GameStop must, for the next two years, post signs on the shelves where used games are sold in California stores, and online, warning consumers that certain downloadable content may require an additional purchase.

Additionally, as part of the settlement, consumers will have the opportunity to recover the additional $15 they would have been required to pay to access the downloadable content.
    Consumers who purchased qualifying used games and who are enrolled in GameStop’s “PowerUp Rewards” customer loyalty program can receive a $10 check and a $5 coupon. Consumers who purchased a qualifying game, but are not members of GameStop’s loyalty program, can receive a $5 check and a $10 coupon.

“We are pleased that as a result of this lawsuit, we were able to obtain complete restitution for consumers, with actual money paid out to people who were harmed by GameStop’s conduct,” said Mark Pifko, Baron and Budd attorney and counsel in the lawsuit. “The in-store and online warnings are an important benefit under the settlement as well, because if GameStop discloses the truth to consumers, it is unlikely that they will be able to continue selling used copies of certain games for only $5 less than the price of a new copy. In fact, we already know that not long after the lawsuit was filed, GameStop lowered prices for used copies of many of the game titles identified in the lawsuit.”

According to the lawsuit, GameStop purchases used video games from consumers for only a fraction of the original price, and then sells them to other consumers at a marked-up price, usually around $5 less than the price of a new game, to maximize their profits. Utilizing this practice, GameStop makes more than $2 billion a year on used video game sales, without paying any royalties to video game publishers or developers, the lawsuit alleged.

If you believe you have been affected by GameStop’s policies, visit http://www.facebook.com/gamestop.settlement to learn more about this settlement, find out how to recover lost funds from GameStop, or to keep up with the latest about the settlement.

Although this settlement only applies to California consumers, Baron and Budd is investigating similar GameStop practices in other states. If you live outside of California and have experienced the same issue at your local GameStop, contact Baron and Budd at 1.866.844.4556 or via email at info@baronbudd.com for a free legal consultation.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120410006525/en/Baron-Budd-Reaches-Settlement-GameStop-Downloadable-Content

Much as I think the war against used games is a little overblown, I definitely wouldn't mind GameStop warning folks when a used game requires an "online pass" and such.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Hm!
    SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Yesterday, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, Senior District Judge Thelton E. Henderson entered an order preliminarily approving a class action settlement Baron and Budd reached with GameStop Corporation, the world’s largest video game retailer. The settlement concerns used video games sold by GameStop to consumers who are unable to access certain downloadable content and online features (DLC) unless they pay an additional $15, even though the packaging of the video games claims that the DLC is available for free with the purchase of the game.

Under the settlement, GameStop must, for the next two years, post signs on the shelves where used games are sold in California stores, and online, warning consumers that certain downloadable content may require an additional purchase.

Additionally, as part of the settlement, consumers will have the opportunity to recover the additional $15 they would have been required to pay to access the downloadable content.
    Consumers who purchased qualifying used games and who are enrolled in GameStop’s “PowerUp Rewards” customer loyalty program can receive a $10 check and a $5 coupon. Consumers who purchased a qualifying game, but are not members of GameStop’s loyalty program, can receive a $5 check and a $10 coupon.

“We are pleased that as a result of this lawsuit, we were able to obtain complete restitution for consumers, with actual money paid out to people who were harmed by GameStop’s conduct,” said Mark Pifko, Baron and Budd attorney and counsel in the lawsuit. “The in-store and online warnings are an important benefit under the settlement as well, because if GameStop discloses the truth to consumers, it is unlikely that they will be able to continue selling used copies of certain games for only $5 less than the price of a new copy. In fact, we already know that not long after the lawsuit was filed, GameStop lowered prices for used copies of many of the game titles identified in the lawsuit.”

According to the lawsuit, GameStop purchases used video games from consumers for only a fraction of the original price, and then sells them to other consumers at a marked-up price, usually around $5 less than the price of a new game, to maximize their profits. Utilizing this practice, GameStop makes more than $2 billion a year on used video game sales, without paying any royalties to video game publishers or developers, the lawsuit alleged.

If you believe you have been affected by GameStop’s policies, visit http://www.facebook.com/gamestop.settlement to learn more about this settlement, find out how to recover lost funds from GameStop, or to keep up with the latest about the settlement.

Although this settlement only applies to California consumers, Baron and Budd is investigating similar GameStop practices in other states. If you live outside of California and have experienced the same issue at your local GameStop, contact Baron and Budd at 1.866.844.4556 or via email at info@baronbudd.com for a free legal consultation.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120410006525/en/Baron-Budd-Reaches-Settlement-GameStop-Downloadable-Content

Much as I think the war against used games is a little overblown, I definitely wouldn't mind GameStop warning folks when a used game requires an "online pass" and such.

I can't confirm it at all, but a friend of mine who was working for Gamestop told me that they were told to open new games and remove all online pass codes.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So...in a sense that whole online pass mumbo-jumbo is having the desired effect.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Jesus. Any guesses?

Acclaim, based on the bolded line

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    expendable wrote: »
    I can't confirm it at all, but a friend of mine who was working for Gamestop told me that they were told to open new games and remove all online pass codes.

GameStop stores are all over the place. There are some that are absolutely pleasant, useful places to shop, and there's others that are pits of hell where the employees will gank the pre-order bonuses and make fun of you for buying a game they don't like.

That said I could see at least a few rogue managers doing that.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hm!

I don't even understand why doing that would be in GameStop's interest. They remove the codes so....customers have to fork over 10 bucks to EA/THQ/Whatever for the online pass?

Allforce on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Hm!

while i don't agree with the reasoning behind it, i think it's good to be honest with the customer. personally i don't know why gamestop gets singled out here and not best buy/amazon/etc.
    tons of people profit off used game sales, just because gamestop does it the best doesn't make them morally worse than any other company.

it just shows how much the games industry thinks used games really hurt them. i love the "Utilizing this practice, GameStop makes more than $2 billion a year on used video game sales, without paying any royalties to video game publishers or developers, the lawsuit alleged." oh except when gamestop is paying them out the ass for the best preorder DLC and exclusive limited edition? what about those royalties? fuck.

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Hm!

I don't even understand why doing that would be in GameStop's interest. They remove the codes so....customers have to fork over 10 bucks to EA/THQ/Whatever for the online pass?

Misleading. A single copy of a new game will be opened and have the contents removed so that it can be put on the shelf. Online passes are removed so that someone can't walk in, take the online pass out of the display box, and leave.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options

GameStop stores are all over the place. There are some that are absolutely pleasant, useful places to shop, and there's others that are pits of hell where the employees will gank the pre-order bonuses and make fun of you for buying a game they don't like.

That said I could see at least a few rogue managers doing that.

I've never had anything go bad in any of the 3 Gamestops in town. All you get is the usual asking of the game guarantees. Once in a while they'll ask you if there's anything you want to preorder, but that's it. A simple polite "no thanks" is all that's needed.

But like I've observed and mentioned many times, Gamestop Canada and Gamestop USA appear to have completely different business practices.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    If upper management incentives selling used over new, then why wouldn't a manager do that?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It hasn't happened at either of the two Gamestops in my area--one nice thing about Athens, Georgia I suppose.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    If upper management incentives selling used over new, then why wouldn't a manager do that?

^ this is why they do it

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Hm!

Misleading. A single copy of a new game will be opened and have the contents removed so that it can be put on the shelf. Online passes are removed so that someone can't walk in, take the online pass out of the display box, and leave.

Wasn't this the case where the game offered a free DD copy of the same game but it was over a service that was rival to a DD thing GameStop owned?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hm!

Wasn't this the case where the game offered a free DD copy of the same game but it was over a service that was rival to a DD thing GameStop owned?

Deus Ex. Different situation, though.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Hm!

Ahh, this takes me back to my Blockbuster days. When Pandora Tomorrow came out, me and the other employees dug through the boxes for the year subsciption cards. I got free LIVE for four years. :D

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Gamestop yanked out the Deus Ex codes for a free DD version on... was it OnLive? Because it was in direct competition with their own DD service or something. Completely retarded and skivvy as all hell, but at least I can see their thought process behind the action.

But pulling out say the online activation code from Mass Effect 3? I don't at all see what they could possibly gain from such an act. Unless it's just simply the process of gutting a display box that has existed since time immemorial.

• Options
    Remember Qore, that online PS magazine? It is dead. You may now resume not remembering anything about it.
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1222701p1.html

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Remember Qore, that online PS magazine? It is dead. You may now resume not remembering anything about it.

..it launched in 2008? Geez.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Did they ever get around to launching Home, yet?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Don't you know that if you never leave Beta you can add and remove features at will and never commit to anything for the "final" build.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Gmail was in "beta" for like five years

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

All I remember about Qore is that it leaked the PSP Go a few days before its official release.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Super hot off the presses.
    Project X Zone

The mysterious collaboration between Sega, Namco Bandai and Capcom has been revealed on the pages of Famitsu this week. As many speculated based off recent trademark filings, the 3DS game is titled Project X Zone (pronounced Project Cross Zone).

Project X Zone is a strategy RPG featuring characters from the three makers. According to Sinobi, which gets Famitsu in advance, the characters, in general, team up in pairs for fighting scenes.

Characters are listed here in their pairings:
    Capcom
    Ryu & Ken (Street Fighter 0), X and Zero (Mega Man), Demitri and Dante (Darkstalkers and Devil May Cry), Chris and Jill (Resident Evil)
    Sega
    Shinguji Sakura and Ogami Ichiro (Sakura Wars), Pai and Akira (Virtua Fighter), Kurt and Riela (Valkyria Chronicles), Ulala and Touma (Space Channel 5 and Shining Force EXA)
    Namco Bandai
    Sanger Somvold (Super Robot Wars), Jin and Ling Xiaoyu (Tekken), Kos-Mos and T-elos (Xenosaga), Yurie and Estel (Tales of Vesperia), Kaito and Black Rose (.hack)

Damn.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Super hot off the presses.
    Project X Zone

The mysterious collaboration between Sega, Namco Bandai and Capcom has been revealed on the pages of Famitsu this week. As many speculated based off recent trademark filings, the 3DS game is titled Project X Zone (pronounced Project Cross Zone).

Project X Zone is a strategy RPG featuring characters from the three makers. According to Sinobi, which gets Famitsu in advance, the characters, in general, team up in pairs for fighting scenes.

Characters are listed here in their pairings:
    Capcom
    Ryu & Ken (Street Fighter 0), X and Zero (Mega Man), Demitri and Dante (Darkstalkers and Devil May Cry), Chris and Jill (Resident Evil)
    Sega
    Shinguji Sakura and Ogami Ichiro (Sakura Wars), Pai and Akira (Virtua Fighter), Kurt and Riela (Valkyria Chronicles), Ulala and Touma (Space Channel 5 and Shining Force EXA)
    Namco Bandai
    Sanger Somvold (Super Robot Wars), Jin and Ling Xiaoyu (Tekken), Kos-Mos and T-elos (Xenosaga), Yurie and Estel (Tales of Vesperia), Kaito and Black Rose (.hack)

Damn.

So what are the odds that this actually get's a release outside of Japan? I'm still bitter about them not releasing Namco x Capcom stateside.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    X?

Well shit, maybe the series aint dead after all.

EDIT:

Wait a fucking minute. Yuri? From ToV? Oh jaysuss.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    I'm sure Japan will eventually get tired of all these cross franchise games...

This discussion has been closed.