As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• Options
    SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Superdupe wrote: »
    IMO, armor and weapon crafting are a slightly easier path to 30 than say, going for the Vanquisher titles, so the more easy armors the better.

The main issue with armour and weapon crafting is gold cost. Shit gets expensive. I mean, I have plenty. I've got 4 Destroyer weapons, I think 7 sets of elite armour on my Ranger alone, with others scattered over other characters, but man, they drain the bank account every time you make a set.

This is absolutely true, but a couple hours of farming the right places can net you: 1) materials towards whatever you're trying to make, directly reducing the cost; and 2) cash money. Based on my admittedly limited experience, a night of farming could potentially net you enough money/materials for 1-2 weapons/armor, whereas a night of attempting title stuff will in most cases only move you a small way toward a single title. Cash farming also obviously provides you with the flexibility to buy minis or hero armor or whatever else you need.

If you really feel like being super-efficient you can kind of combine goals by say going for Vanquisher in an expansion you need materials from, so you're getting cash/materials while progressing the title; thereby killing flocks of birds with one stone.

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    IMO, armor and weapon crafting are a slightly easier path to 30 than say, going for the Vanquisher titles, so the more easy armors the better.

The main issue with armour and weapon crafting is gold cost. Shit gets expensive. I mean, I have plenty. I've got 4 Destroyer weapons, I think 7 sets of elite armour on my Ranger alone, with others scattered over other characters, but man, they drain the bank account every time you make a set.

This is absolutely true, but a couple hours of farming the right places can net you: 1) materials towards whatever you're trying to make, directly reducing the cost; and 2) cash money. Based on my admittedly limited experience, a night of farming could potentially net you enough money/materials for 1-2 weapons/armor, whereas a night of attempting title stuff will in most cases only move you a small way toward a single title. Cash farming also obviously provides you with the flexibility to buy minis or hero armor or whatever else you need.

If you really feel like being super-efficient you can kind of combine goals by say going for Vanquisher in an expansion you need materials from, so you're getting cash/materials while progressing the title; thereby killing flocks of birds with one stone.

And where are these uber farming spots? ;)

Having finished Proph (long time ago), EotN, and Factions, along with having run a few dungeons and doing my far share of side quests, I'm sitting on a whopping 50p, plus various mats I've collected. I'm ID'ing everything not rare and selling them, and salvaging evertyhing I can for mats. I sell all the runes i get (my armorr is runed out fine, my heros not so much). I'm not sure what else I can do to make money any faster (I know I need to do WiK, I'm currently stuck on Lt. fuckoffs picnic requests).

I still need to buy the following to fill out my HoM :
    5x yr 1 cheapo minis
    1x rare mini (cheapest i can get)
    1x unique mini (same)

7x hero armor pieces (5k each currently)

7x armor sets for myself, including one lux/kurz one. probably skipping obsidian/vabbian due to costs, will just get the cheaper marhan's grotto ones + eotn faction ones.

If I can do that i'm at 27 and pretty happy. The last 3 would require tormented + destroyer + obsidian to probably fill out.

That's ALOT of money needed, and it feels like it is coming in much too slowly :(

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Well, like I said I only started not too long ago so some vet may come in here and point out exactly how wrong I am, but here's what I'd do in your situation:

**Disclaimer: I'm assuming you have all the expansions. Things change quite a bit if you don't.**

Minis: first off, you can knock out the unique for free by doing the black moa chick quest. It will require some running around but if you've already beaten the 3 campaigns you should have unlocked a fair number of map locations that will mitigate that a little. I believe you'll have to buy the rest.

Hero armor: I'll post my theory on the easiest path to 30 HoM in another post, but ideally you shouldn't have to spend a dime here. I believe the path of least resistance is to do M.O.X. for free, all the pets (Black Moa, Phoenix, Black Widow, any lvl20 pet), and the 5 sunspear elite hero armors from Dajkah Inlet (generally considered to be the easiest to collect). Again, this will take you a little time, but it will save you money for the bigger stuff.

Armor/Weapons: 2 oppressors from WiK, a tormented, and two destroyers. This is gonna cost some money. The two oppressors should be free or close to it. I don't know the rate on tormented but they're expensive. Two destroyers I believe will run you 80-120k. Armor depends on your profession, but should include some combo of the following 5: Kurzick/Luxon, Vabbian (these first two are basically required as they net a full point each), some Nightfall armor (preferrably Ancient), some EotN armor (Norn, Asura, Monument, still trying to figure out which is easiest), and 1 more of your choice. You can mitigate alot of the Vabbian armor cost by doing quests for contracts and turning those contracts in for sapphires.

As for farming spots, I'm not to that point yet so I don't really know, but I do know it is well within the realm of possibility to get 100K + in a good night of farming. People on these boards have posted results well in excess of that.

Quick edit: changed the nightfall armor to Ancient as it appears to be 15k cheaper with the same requirements as Sunspear. Wish I'd checked that before purchasing ><.

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, like I said I only started not too long ago so some vet may come in here and point out exactly how wrong I am, but here's what I'd do in your situation:

**Disclaimer: I'm assuming you have all the expansions. Things change quite a bit if you don't.**

Minis: first off, you can knock out the unique for free by doing the black moa chick quest. It will require some running around but if you've already beaten the 3 campaigns you should have unlocked a fair number of map locations that will mitigate that a little. I believe you'll have to buy the rest.

Hero armor: I'll post my theory on the easiest path to 30 HoM in another post, but ideally you shouldn't have to spend a dime here. I believe the path of least resistance is to do M.O.X. for free, all the pets (Black Moa, Phoenix, Black Widow, any lvl20 pet), and the 5 sunspear elite hero armors from Dajkah Inlet (generally considered to be the easiest to collect). Again, this will take you a little time, but it will save you money for the bigger stuff.

Armor/Weapons: 2 oppressors from WiK, a tormented, and two destroyers. This is gonna cost some money. The two oppressors should be free or close to it. I don't know the rate on tormented but they're expensive. Two destroyers I believe will run you 80-120k. Armor depends on your profession, but should include some combo of the following 5: Kurzick/Luxon, Vabbian (these first two are basically required as they net a full point each), some Nightfall armor (Sunspear Elite is by far the easiest), some EotN armor (Norn, Asura, Monument, still trying to figure out which is easiest), and 1 more of your choice. You can mitigate alot of the Vabbian armor cost by doing quests for contracts and turning those contracts in for sapphires.

As for farming spots, I'm not to that point yet so I don't really know, but I do know it is well within the realm of possibility to get 100K + in a good night of farming. People on these boards have posts results well in excess of that.

Yeah I forgot to mention I don't have NF, which gimps me greatly (but I'm loathe to spend $10-$20 on the game just for some HoM points). I think I can still buy a black moa mini, i just cant farm one up myself. If I can get up to the 27 I have listed I'm ok (even 25 would be cool). The majority are pretty easy (and not atroticously expensive, I suspect my biggest costs are goign to be the rare/unique minis (no idea what they go for) and the various armors (the proph. ones will be cheap, and the monument armor is nearly within reach already. Stuff like vabbian/luxon/tormet/destroyer I'm not stressing, as if I can get htem great, if not I'll still have 20+ points. It's all about money now :(

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

I will definitely say that armor and weapons are probably easier for the most part than titles. However, you should get 5 statues in honor for the five points you'll get from that.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Dervishes are awesome once you unlock some skills. I'm running a pretty cookie-cutter build based around keeping myself alive and nuking the fuck out of anything that moves:

http://gw.gamependium.com/tools/builds/template/?key=A6Mi6wypMJGKd9cVd1DudJgVgB

basically: hit Eternal Aura when entering a map, hit enchanted haste to get close to mobs, hit Pious Renewal, immediately followed by Pious Assault (commonly referred to as the Pious Teardown), then hit Grenth's Fingers and then Teardown until everything is dead or if you get too many conditions, which you can remove with grenth's and enchanted haste.

If heroes die I can ress them all by tearing Eternal Aura down with Pious Fury.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm gonna piggyback on Bethryn's excellent post from a few pages back and put up a quick guide to what I believe is the most efficient way to get to 30/50. I'll be breaking the guide down by the categories listed on the Hall of Monuments website. Note: this guide assumes access to all expansions.

DEVOTION: 5/8

I need to double check this but I believe the cheapest route is to do the black moa chick quest, then buy 1 rare, 3 uncommons, and 15 common minis for a total of 20.

FELLOWSHIP: 7/8

Add M.O.X. for free. Run Dajkah Inlet for hero armors for Koss, Dunkoro, Melonni, Acolyte Jin and Acolyte Sousuke. Add all the pets (Animal Companion, Black Moa, Black Widow, Phoenix). Buy or run missions for 10 additional armors (possibly from proceeds from selling your second opressor weapon).

HONOR: 8/18

3 points from linking your account. 3 points from beating the campaigns. One point for any protector title. One point from Sorrow's Furnace.

RESILIENCE: 7/8

1 point each for Kurzick/Luxon and Vabbian. One EotN armor (need to figure out which is easiest), one Nightfall armor (Ancient Armor is the cheapest), and two more (one of which should preferrably be Marhan's Grotto as it's easiest).

VALOR: 3/8

1 dedicated oppressor weapon (should be free or close to free from the WiK questline) and one destroyer weapon. You should have enough materials to make another oppressor weapon which you can sell to fund other HoM stuff.

5 + 7 + 8 + 7 + 3 = 30. Some of this is obviously preference (this format will be grinding money/materials instead of titles, for example), but I believe it will result in the quickest way to 30 points. Please let me know if you believe there's an easier route and I'll refine the guide.

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Going for 5 weapons is not something I would recommend doing, especially with Tormented as it costs 200k.

For that money, you can buy 10 armor remnants for your heroes, and 2 more armor, to pick up the points so you get 1 more in Fellowship and Resilience. Doing this also means that you can sell the spare Oppressor from WiK since you're not going to for 5 weapons any more for 80-100k, and you're not buying another Destroyer (same reason) = 60k more spare effectively.

5/7/8/7/3 is what I'd advise going for it you're aiming for 30.
    5/8/12/7/3 is doable for 35 if you're enjoying PvP, as you can push for Gladiator or Zaishen quite easily (though not without time investment, but if you're having fun you're both making money from ZKeys with your Balth faction, and getting closer to Glad).

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    What if he also wants to gain allegiance in the Kurzick/Luxon title tracks?

Speaking of the luxon/kurzick title tracks... how do you get started on those? The wiki tells me I need 1 rank in them to spend faction points, but to gain rank you spend faction points... I really just want one rank so I can pick up one of the elites, but after much searching I am completely dumbfounded as to how to get that first rank.

Phant on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Phant wrote: »
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    What if he also wants to gain allegiance in the Kurzick/Luxon title tracks?

Speaking of the luxon/kurzick title tracks... how do you get started on those? The wiki tells me I need 1 rank in them to spend faction points, but to gain rank you spend faction points... I really just want one rank so I can pick up one of the elites, but after much searching I am completely dumbfounded as to how to get that first rank.

Buy amber/jadeite is the best way.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You need to acquire Kurzick or Luxon faction by completing their missions, doing PvP in Jade Quarry or Fort Aspenwood and trading the Imperial faction you earn there for that of your chosen faction, or vanquishing Kurzick or Luxon maps, preferebly with the faction buff you bribe out of the faction priests near to resurrection shrines. Then you take the faction you've earned to the respective Faction Bureaucrat to buy amber/jadeite. That banks the faction you earn into points towards the faction tile track. Once you have at least rank 1 in that title track, you can craft the faction elite armour.

Any questions?

Huggles on
  • Options
    Huggles wrote: »
    You need to acquire Kurzick or Luxon faction by completing their missions, doing PvP in Jade Quarry or Fort Aspenwood and trading the Imperial faction you earn there for that of your chosen faction, or vanquishing Kurzick or Luxon maps, preferebly with the faction buff you bribe out of the faction priests near to resurrection shrines.
    Someone noted earlier don't trade Imperial -> Kurzick/Luxon.

Imperial -> Balth -> Zaishen Key -> money -> Amber/Jadeite gives four times the materials.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Huggles wrote: »
    You need to acquire Kurzick or Luxon faction by completing their missions, doing PvP in Jade Quarry or Fort Aspenwood and trading the Imperial faction you earn there for that of your chosen faction, or vanquishing Kurzick or Luxon maps, preferebly with the faction buff you bribe out of the faction priests near to resurrection shrines.
    Someone noted earlier don't trade Imperial -> Kurzick/Luxon.

Imperial -> Balth -> Zaishen Key -> money -> Amber/Jadeite gives four times the materials.

He still wants to get to Rank 1 somehow.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Argh.

I read that literally just now.

Sorry about that, listen to Bethryn. Mind like a sieve, I tell you...

But yeah, in order to get to rank 1 you might as well trade in for amber/jadeite as you've got to spend that faction anyway.

Huggles on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think if you're going for elite kurz/lux, donating to the guild is more efficient. You piss 50k faction down the tube, but then reap the benefits of the more efficient imp-balz-key-gold-material cycle.
    It's not THAT much of an advantage though. 5k faction -> one amber vs 3.75k faction -> 1 amber, with slightly more efficiency if you buy from players, which can get you to 3k faction per.
    Comes out to 400k faction vs 350k in the end. 290k with player trades.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    290k compared to 400 is pretty significant...

Also I would like to remind people in this thread selling zkeys.

5.8k per key currently goes moderately fast. 5.7 per key very fast. I currently get buyers at 5.9 without much effort though it doesnt go quite as fast as 5.7 or 5.8. I would urge you to sell them at 5.8k ea.

Draygo on
  • Options
    Rank 1 = hand in Shiro's Return for 40k pure points, do 2 VQs with Zaishen, and the quests (including the two main quests and their bonuses) of your chosen faction.

You're now Rank 1, and you haven't touched Imperial points! 8D

• Options
    What Bethryn said is pretty much what I did. It works.

• Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Ok, turns out you can buy amber but NOT trade in faction for your guild before rank 1. Bah, that doubles the grind.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    I'm looking at Luxon (via a second charater), Norn, Ancient, and two other armors for my last 5 points, though not sure which. If I make a core character I could grab Luxon and two of the easier core sets as well....hmm. Sitting at about 200k with a good store of materials going, trying to figure out if I can stretch that for the last 5 points all via armors (i have 0 in the armor HoM set right now), when my only 20 is a Dervish and I don't feel like doing much grinding of any sort.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    Primeval and Monument allow you to diversify into Bone and Cloth, so you don't have to grind something insane like 1400 Tanned Hide.

Seeing as Monument is cheap, and getting Bone for Primeval is also cheap, I would say these are better options than getting a second character through a campaign to the point where they can buy more Elite armour.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Rank 1 = hand in Shiro's Return for 40k pure points, do 2 VQs with Zaishen, and the quests (including the two main quests and their bonuses) of your chosen faction.

Now tell me how to do that before playing Factions, so that I can finish my build. 8P

290 < 400, but 400 is completely without spending time shouting for trades. I'd rather be killing bots instead of barking. And I didn't realize you couldn't turn in to guild faction until level 1, so it becomes 100k + 3*60 which.. hey, those numbers are even better. Buy 20 amber to get level 1, then start buying keys instead.

• Options
    OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    What the hell is the trick to the Ruins of Morah mission? The second part seems ridiculously hard.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    290k compared to 400 is pretty significant...
    Madpoet wrote: »

Now tell me how to do that before playing Factions, so that I can finish my build. 8P

290 < 400, but 400 is completely without spending time shouting for trades. I'd rather be killing bots instead of barking. And I didn't realize you couldn't turn in to guild faction until level 1, so it becomes 100k + 3*60 which.. hey, those numbers are even better. Buy 20 amber to get level 1, then start buying keys instead.

As i said, selling the zkeys at 5.8 is a very easy thing to do. Then you can just merch the amber. Buying the amber takes a bit more time as not as many people are trading in it. Zkeys are a very high volume market in GToB.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ormuss wrote: »
    What the hell is the trick to the Ruins of Morah mission? The second part seems ridiculously hard.

The trick is to pay someone 1k to run the mission for you. I'm serious, Commander Varesh is annoying and the spawns can screw you over if you don't pull very well.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    Primeval and Monument allow you to diversify into Bone and Cloth, so you don't have to grind something insane like 1400 Tanned Hide.

Seeing as Monument is cheap, and getting Bone for Primeval is also cheap, I would say these are better options than getting a second character through a campaign to the point where they can buy more Elite armour.

So in my case, Primeval, Monument, Norn, Ancient, and then grab Luxon/Kurzick on a second character. Seems pretty reasonable. Wish I hadn't turned in my first dungeon book tot he bloody dwarves though, wasn't really paying attention =/

Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • Options

On this point, if I"m near the cap of rep I can have (on the hero screen), do I need to spend down what i have before I hand in the book so nothing is wasted? Or is it a seperate rep pool? The wiki confused me for some reason.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    The books add points directly to the title track, they don't use the rep pool. So if you had 26k out of 27k, you'd still have that after handing in the book.

• Options
    Going for 5 weapons is not something I would recommend doing, especially with Tormented as it costs 200k.

For that money, you can buy 10 armor remnants for your heroes, and 2 more armor, to pick up the points so you get 1 more in Fellowship and Resilience. Doing this also means that you can sell the spare Oppressor from WiK since you're not going to for 5 weapons any more for 80-100k, and you're not buying another Destroyer (same reason) = 60k more spare effectively.

5/8/12/7/3 is doable for 35 if you're enjoying PvP, as you can push for Gladiator or Zaishen quite easily (though not without time investment, but if you're having fun you're both making money from ZKeys with your Balth faction, and getting closer to Glad).

Awesome, this is great advice. I'll update the post. What is the next easiest hero armor mission after Dajkah Inlet if I wanted to knock out some more hero armors for free?

On a side note, sometimes it feels like I am playing a completely different game than other people. Maybe it's my build or team make-up, but as I've gone through the later Nightfall missions, I have generally had the exact opposite experience with quest difficulty than what I see from other people. For example: last night I tried the Gate of Madness mission, which based on the wiki and forums seems to give a lot of people trouble. I beat it in 2 tries, and only had to attempt Shiro and the Lich once. However, I spent the following 3 hours wiping over and over to Abbadon, a mission which many people seem to find quite easy, especially compared to Gate of Madness. What am I doing wrong? I just want this godforsaken campaign to end!

I've been running a cookie cutter VoS Dervish build (minus Save Yourselves) and my hero team is usually 1 illusion mesmer, 1 domination mesmer (builds 99% taken from 7 hero player support), 2-3 searing flames elementalists, and 2-3 healing monks (no particular build because they have no elite skills yet). I know this isn't an optimal build, but it's based on what skills I have access to after playing through just Nightfall.

For Abbadon I gave all my healers party heal to combat the regular party-wide damage from Word of Madness, and switched out the elementalists for a dom mesmer hench and another healer hench. Basically my party is all hex removal, interrupts, and healing. Based on the mechanics of the fight, this should be a solid setup, but I just can't get it to work. Either the monks blow through their energy early in the fight and the party damage eventually wears me down, or those bastard tormentor claws pop up and get off a massive aoe before I can target it for an interrupt, or the graven monoliths, which I usually destroy, decide to go into god-mode and spam ethereal feast and clumsiness until my party basically destroys itself.

Am I gonna have to bite the bullet and move on to Factions or w/e to get some more skills, or is there something about my setup that I am doing wrong? It's super frustrating to be so close to the end of this campaign and not see a way past it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

There are good tips for the mission on Guild Wars Wiki. The main useful tip is to do most of your fighting right at the mission's entry point rather than in the crater. This keeps you from being overwhelmed.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Darklyre wrote: »

The trick is to pay someone 1k to run the mission for you. I'm serious, Commander Varesh is annoying and the spawns can screw you over if you don't pull very well.

I had a little trouble with this one too. I ended up using a variation of the guide on the wiki, where you do phase 1 normally (kill clerics then Varesh), but drag Varesh up to near the starting portal to kill her, and pin your party there. When she dies, take out the demon pack that spawns at the bottom of the ramp, then the second one that spawns in its place, then the patrol, being careful not to aggro Varesh (she'll leash as long as you don't go too far down the ramp to pull the packs). After killing those 3 packs you should have enough time before the next patrol to drag Varesh to the ramp and burn her down. Granted this took me 8:30, so I missed the master's reward, but I was (and still am) working with 99% Nightfall-only skills so it was a little sub-optimal. With the right skills it should fairly easy to get the master reward.

Edit: forgot to mention that my (tiny) variation was to add a cripple to my attack rotation to keep her off my squishies. This worked pretty damn well.

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012

There are good tips for the mission on Guild Wars Wiki. The main useful tip is to do most of your fighting right at the mission's entry point rather than in the crater. This keeps you from being overwhelmed.

The other good strategy is very careful placement of heroes right in the centre of the crater, ensuring you have no minions to pull aggro from the mobs around the rim. That way you can concentrate on beating on Varesh without aggroing the horde.

Huggles on
  • Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Would it be possible to get an invite on my character Maledict Bloodstorm (please don't laugh at the name! :) ). I'm almost at the end of Nightfall now and some conversation (and advice for a newbie) would be much appreciated. Or at the very least, someone to restrain me from spending every penny I have capping skills I'll never use due to some crazed "gotta catch them all" mentality!

Oh, and the Ruins of Morah mission was an absolute goose. Took me 6 or so attempts before I finally managed it, and lots of screaming at my necromancers minions before I finally ditched him. Really not looking forward to the Gates of Madness mission. I think I need to do some rune and skill farming before I attempt it, as I have found even exploring the Torment planes very dangerous and often resulting in multiple deaths for my team.

Maledict66 on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Maledict66 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to get an invite on my character Maledict Bloodstorm (please don't laugh at the name! :) ). I'm almost at the end of Nightfall now and some conversation (and advice for a newbie) would be much appreciated. Or at the very least, someone to restrain me from spending every penny I have capping skills I'll never use due to some crazed "gotta catch them all" mentality!

sent!

• Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular

Awesome, this is great advice. I'll update the post. What is the next easiest hero armor mission after Dajkah Inlet if I wanted to knock out some more hero armors for free?

On a side note, sometimes it feels like I am playing a completely different game than other people. Maybe it's my build or team make-up, but as I've gone through the later Nightfall missions, I have generally had the exact opposite experience with quest difficulty than what I see from other people. For example: last night I tried the Gate of Madness mission, which based on the wiki and forums seems to give a lot of people trouble. I beat it in 2 tries, and only had to attempt Shiro and the Lich once. However, I spent the following 3 hours wiping over and over to Abbadon, a mission which many people seem to find quite easy, especially compared to Gate of Madness. What am I doing wrong? I just want this godforsaken campaign to end!

I've been running a cookie cutter VoS Dervish build (minus Save Yourselves) and my hero team is usually 1 illusion mesmer, 1 domination mesmer (builds 99% taken from 7 hero player support), 2-3 searing flames elementalists, and 2-3 healing monks (no particular build because they have no elite skills yet). I know this isn't an optimal build, but it's based on what skills I have access to after playing through just Nightfall.

For Abbadon I gave all my healers party heal to combat the regular party-wide damage from Word of Madness, and switched out the elementalists for a dom mesmer hench and another healer hench. Basically my party is all hex removal, interrupts, and healing. Based on the mechanics of the fight, this should be a solid setup, but I just can't get it to work. Either the monks blow through their energy early in the fight and the party damage eventually wears me down, or those bastard tormentor claws pop up and get off a massive aoe before I can target it for an interrupt, or the graven monoliths, which I usually destroy, decide to go into god-mode and spam ethereal feast and clumsiness until my party basically destroys itself.

Am I gonna have to bite the bullet and move on to Factions or w/e to get some more skills, or is there something about my setup that I am doing wrong? It's super frustrating to be so close to the end of this campaign and not see a way past it.

I found condition removal to be the most useful for this mission, I had a rit with Pure was Li Ming to immediately clear dazes. Apart from that any sort of knock down prevention really helps.

• Options
    OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Finally beat Varesh. I tried every which way, and almost made the stand in the middle strategy work, until Dunkoro decided he wanted to go for a brisk jog to the edge.

In the end, I stood in the BACK of the room, and pulled every one of her minions one pull at a time, and then finally killed her.

8 mins 51 seconds. Whatever, I'll be back later for the master reward. -_-

Ormuss on
  • Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    I think I got lucky to be frank. Failed 5 times at the various strategies, then for some reason on the 6th everything clicked and she stood JUST far enough away to be nuked but not far enough away to aggro any of the adds.

Dreading Gates of Madness though fromt he descriptions - finally have a use for the free skill unlocks I got when I bought the original game years ago however to equip my hero's!

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Heal Party is pretty subpar if you're running with heroes because you're not splitting up beyond the aggro circle. I'd run Heaven's Delight and Divine Healing instead, as even though they're slower to recharge they cast much faster and don't take up nearly as much energy. An N/Rt healer with Protective was Kaolai would be ideal, but as you said you haven't moved onto Factions yet.

Also you don't really need AoE damage for the final mission, because you only ever face two Graven Monoliths at a time. I'd aim for higher single-target damage to spike down an enemy and reduce the burden on your healers.

Just so you know, protection is better than pure healing. I'd recommend changing one of your monks to Protection Prayers and packing Aegis, Protective Spirit (!!!), and Shield of Absorption.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Maledict66 wrote: »
    I think I got lucky to be frank. Failed 5 times at the various strategies, then for some reason on the 6th everything clicked and she stood JUST far enough away to be nuked but not far enough away to aggro any of the adds.

Dreading Gates of Madness though fromt he descriptions - finally have a use for the free skill unlocks I got when I bought the original game years ago however to equip my hero's!

Really the only two issues with Gates of Madness are 1. Its length (can feel long, but you go through it pretty quick if/when you wipe and memorize the path) and 2. Shiro

The length is mostly due to just the number of mob packs you fight, particularly in the rift portal section. Shiro just has a pile of nasty tricks that he can throw out in quick succession (once he's below like 50% health or something) that can shred you if you're unprepared. Basically you typically can't just zerg rush him, though it sounds like some have been able to. I was absolutely destroyed by him until I swapped out a hero and a few abilities just to counter him then set up a trap.

steejee on
  • Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Quick question: I have some destroyer weapons dedicated in my HoM, do I have to dedicate a different type of tormented/oppressor weapon for it to count or can I dedicate say an axe of each type and they will all count towards the total?

EDIT: Found the answer to the above:
    GW Wiki wrote:
    Only 1 weapon of each type can be displayed for each character, e.g. if the monument already includes an Oppressor's Staff based in Fire Magic, you cannot add a Water Magic-based Oppressor's Staff for the same character
    In particular, this monument only displays a single statue for each of the following weapon varieties: bows, focus items, shields, staves, and wands.
    If you want to add three different types of one of the above varieties, be sure you choose one from each of the available families. For example, you could display a Destroyer Shortbow, an Oppressor's Longbow, and a Tormented Recurve Bow.

On a related note: any of you fine people have a tormented weapon, oppressor weapon, or undedicated minis that you want to sell? I'm going to liquidate everything left on my account and buy up a few more points. Thought I'd give you guys a chance at the gold/ectos before turning to the unwashed masses. Drop me a PM if you do have any of the above with what you've got and how much you want for it (save cluttering the thread).

The Deranged Hermit on
    Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463