As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Quick question: I have some destroyer weapons dedicated in my HoM, do I have to dedicate a different type of tormented/oppressor weapon for it to count or can I dedicate say an axe of each type and they will all count towards the total?

EDIT: Found the answer to the above:
    GW Wiki wrote:
    Only 1 weapon of each type can be displayed for each character, e.g. if the monument already includes an Oppressor's Staff based in Fire Magic, you cannot add a Water Magic-based Oppressor's Staff for the same character
    In particular, this monument only displays a single statue for each of the following weapon varieties: bows, focus items, shields, staves, and wands.
    If you want to add three different types of one of the above varieties, be sure you choose one from each of the available families. For example, you could display a Destroyer Shortbow, an Oppressor's Longbow, and a Tormented Recurve Bow.

On a related note: any of you fine people have a tormented weapon, oppressor weapon, or undedicated minis that you want to sell? I'm going to liquidate everything left on my account and buy up a few more points. Thought I'd give you guys a chance at the gold/ectos before turning to the unwashed masses. Drop me a PM if you do have any of the above with what you've got and how much you want for it (save cluttering the thread).

That quote was a little confusing to me. Per the discussion, it looks like you could also add a Destroyer Sword, a Tormented Sword, and an Oppressor Sword.

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Quick question: I have some destroyer weapons dedicated in my HoM, do I have to dedicate a different type of tormented/oppressor weapon for it to count or can I dedicate say an axe of each type and they will all count towards the total?

EDIT: Found the answer to the above:
    GW Wiki wrote:
    Only 1 weapon of each type can be displayed for each character, e.g. if the monument already includes an Oppressor's Staff based in Fire Magic, you cannot add a Water Magic-based Oppressor's Staff for the same character
    In particular, this monument only displays a single statue for each of the following weapon varieties: bows, focus items, shields, staves, and wands.
    If you want to add three different types of one of the above varieties, be sure you choose one from each of the available families. For example, you could display a Destroyer Shortbow, an Oppressor's Longbow, and a Tormented Recurve Bow.

On a related note: any of you fine people have a tormented weapon, oppressor weapon, or undedicated minis that you want to sell? I'm going to liquidate everything left on my account and buy up a few more points. Thought I'd give you guys a chance at the gold/ectos before turning to the unwashed masses. Drop me a PM if you do have any of the above with what you've got and how much you want for it (save cluttering the thread).

That quote was a little confusing to me. Per the discussion, it looks like you could also add a Destroyer Sword, a Tormented Sword, and an Oppressor Sword.

Yes, that's correct. I have a Destroyer Staff and an Oppressor Staff in my HoM, and both count as separate weapons. What you can't do is have two Destroyer Staves of different attributes (Fire and Water only count as one), and you can't have different bow variants of the same weapon type (HoM only counts one Oppressor bow, even if you have an Oppressor Shortbow and an Oppressor Longbow).

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Superdupe wrote: »
    On a side note, sometimes it feels like I am playing a completely different game than other people. Maybe it's my build or team make-up, but as I've gone through the later Nightfall missions, I have generally had the exact opposite experience with quest difficulty than what I see from other people. For example: last night I tried the Gate of Madness mission, which based on the wiki and forums seems to give a lot of people trouble. I beat it in 2 tries, and only had to attempt Shiro and the Lich once. However, I spent the following 3 hours wiping over and over to Abbadon, a mission which many people seem to find quite easy, especially compared to Gate of Madness. What am I doing wrong? I just want this godforsaken campaign to end!

I've been running a cookie cutter VoS Dervish build (minus Save Yourselves) and my hero team is usually 1 illusion mesmer, 1 domination mesmer (builds 99% taken from 7 hero player support), 2-3 searing flames elementalists, and 2-3 healing monks (no particular build because they have no elite skills yet). I know this isn't an optimal build, but it's based on what skills I have access to after playing through just Nightfall.

For Abbadon I gave all my healers party heal to combat the regular party-wide damage from Word of Madness, and switched out the elementalists for a dom mesmer hench and another healer hench. Basically my party is all hex removal, interrupts, and healing. Based on the mechanics of the fight, this should be a solid setup, but I just can't get it to work. Either the monks blow through their energy early in the fight and the party damage eventually wears me down, or those bastard tormentor claws pop up and get off a massive aoe before I can target it for an interrupt, or the graven monoliths, which I usually destroy, decide to go into god-mode and spam ethereal feast and clumsiness until my party basically destroys itself.

Am I gonna have to bite the bullet and move on to Factions or w/e to get some more skills, or is there something about my setup that I am doing wrong? It's super frustrating to be so close to the end of this campaign and not see a way past it.

This is me too. I went through Gates of Madness once, beat it on my first try, but had to repeat it because the mission bugged out on me and it wouldn't end even after I killed Shiro and the Lich. Second time through, finished it without hitting that same bug. The final fight against Shiro and the Lich took maybe 90 seconds total. I did Ruins of Morah in one try and got "masters" on that first attempt. to be honest, without reading forums and the wiki, I never would have known this was supposed to be a hard mission. Same thing with Venta Cemetary; supposedly that is a difficult mission too. Beating the final battle of War in Kryta was exhausting but I did that on the first try too.

On the other hand, the Rilohn Refuge mission took me several tries to complete. I had to enlist help from a friend to get masters and even that took probably a half dozen tries. Going through Factions, the Nahpui Quarter, Arborstone, and Raisu Palace missions held me up for DAYS. Raisu in particular; I probably ran that damned thing over 20 times before I even got to the end, much less masters level. Elementalist Shiro'ken would blow up my entire party in two seconds and it was restart time.

I think part of the different difficulty levels for various people is because everyone is standardizing on a specific meta-build. My hero group is pretty much not meta: two RoJ beamers (Tahlkora and Odgen), one necro healer (the lovely Livia), one necro anti-melee (Olias), Panic mesmer (Gwen, natch), a protection el/mo (Vekk), and a SoS rit (Xandra). I haven't even put runes or weapons adders on any of them because they seem to be doing okay. I'm playing as a pure hammer Warrior (with plague touch to dump conditions). In actual practice, I seem to be the weakest link in my group, but I use my superior intellect (compared the the hero AI) to keep them on track, ball up MOBs (and knock them down to keep them in the RoJ effect) and keep the heroes generally hitting the right target. As long as there are fewer than two healers and not more than, say, eight or nine total enemies of level 24, they seem to burn down pretty fast.

26904.png
  • Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    Rilohn refuge wiped me the first time as well, so I rebuilt a team with about 10 interrupts, my two dervishes with Mantra of elements and my elementalists with Ward Against elements. Poor thing didn't manage to kill anyone and went down very easily.

That's one of the things I really like about playing with heroes - the ability to respec completely based on the mission and fight. If it doesn't work, go ahead and try something new!

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Of all the things this game needed a mail system is one of them . . .

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • JaentherJaenther Registered User regular
    Guild Wars feels like a mix of throwbacks to when it first came out and interesting gameplay that doesn't really have a lot of analogs. There aren't a lot of games coming out now where trading is done largely by standing around and spamming a chat channel, but there aren't any other MMOs that I know of where you can build an 8 man team of players and/or NPCs with totally customized builds for any given task.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I maintain that if they'd had Heroes in the original game, they would've owned the MMO market. It's so much customisation to the player and so many ways of playing the game.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    The entire Realm of Torment can go to hell.

That is all.

Since people have been talking about zkey prices in this thread, let it be known that I am nearing the stash limit for plat and I'm looking to buy zkeys en masse. If y'all PvP for zkeys, do let me know.

• Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    Ormuss wrote: »
    The entire Realm of Torment can go to hell.

That is all.

I'm glad you said that. I found myself dying repeatedly in there, it was quite embarrassing. In particular the melee torment demons would spike one of my casters down so fast it was embarrassing every single fight. O the plus side packs of 10 Maronites seem ridiculously easy by comparison!

Re. GW overall - it's amazing how cutting edge it was, and still is in many ways. It did vehicles YEARS before WoW did for example, and it's mission based content still blows TOR out of the water in terms of tailored story specific content. I think heroes would have made a big difference at launch, but I also think the movement system needs tweaking. the loudest single complaint I hear from people I get to play the game is that the movement & click to target / attack

• SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thanks again to @unintentional for running Abbadon's Gate for me (and for the free stuff!). It took some pride-swallowing to ask for help because I generally consider myself a good gamer and I usually catch on to mechanics and optimize my play pretty quickly, but I simply could not beat that mission. I tried for two days and spent an unnecessary amount of money trying to find some build that would get him below 75%, and just couldn't do it, then unintentional walked in and we beat it in 6 minutes.

As if it weren't abundantly clear to me before, it is even more obvious now that I still have a lot to learn about this game.

Also, I've found that in most situations the hero AI performs at least reasonably well. It attacks what I tell it to attack, it's actually really good about interrupts as long as I call the target (even sometimes when I don't, which is cool), but I think one of the most aggravating things for me in Abbadon's Gate was that I absolutely stacked my team with interrupts and heals, but for whatever reason the healers would frequently be sitting around with full energy bars while my party slowly died to healable AoE damage, or stuff wouldn't get interrupted despite there only being at most 2 mobs to deal with (seriously, I had 3 mesmers, two of which were heroes with bars filled to the brim with interrupts). As nifty as heroes are to progress through the game without constantly needing to find a group, they occassionally make me reach hair-pulling-out levels of annoyance.

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Since people have been talking about zkey prices in this thread, let it be known that I am nearing the stash limit for plat and I'm looking to buy zkeys en masse. If y'all PvP for zkeys, do let me know.

I'll sell you the ones I can get from my 50 free tournament points.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    How much are you going to be looking for? I am going to be needing money and I thoroughly enjoy pvping so I would be willing to do this to help you out as opposed to farming for the money I will need for hom soon.
    Seriously though, as long as you need em en masse, I can fulfill that order. I have much success in pvp.

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular

How reasonable is it to grind enough Balth faction for 200 zkeys? I'd like that three-HoM-point PvP statue but I don't know if it's going to be worth the time investment on top of everything else.

Otherwise, my free ten zkeys are all yours in exchange for monies, @Darklyre.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »

How reasonable is it to grind enough Balth faction for 200 zkeys? I'd like that three-HoM-point PvP statue but I don't know if it's going to be worth the time investment on top of everything else.

200 keys is 1,000,000 Balthazar faction.

Zaishen Elite can get you 6k faction in 15 minutes if you get 16 consecutive wins (good fucking luck). You can only do that once per day for 6k, then you have to wait 24 hours, but at that rate, which is the absolute highest rate possible, it'd take you 41.6 hours total of perfectly executed pvp across several months. In all honestly, it's more believable to expect to get about 10k per day with a couple hours of farming, which would be about 100 days of play.

No one farms the faction to get keys. They buy it with straight money. Now, for money you'd only need a bit over 1000 plat to buy your way into the title.

What is this I don't even.
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    the last time they had a double faction fort aspenwood weekend i played pretty much nonstop, entirely for fun, and i made about 40 zkeys i think

the last time they had a double faction fort aspenwood weekend i played pretty much nonstop, entirely for fun, and i made about 40 zkeys i think

Yeah, that was actually triple faction for balth, basically, because it was Factions. You were getting balth at a reasonable rate, PLUS imperial at double rate, which you converted back into balth. Definitely the way to go if it happens again, but it's still not something super easy to obtain.

I may casually pursue that title as my primary Guild Wars experience going forward, because I want to pvp for funsies, and if I don't make it it isn't a big loss.

Seriously though dark, if you want me to be your key bitch I will. Farming money is good for HoM and I really do enjoy PVP. just knowing I can work for money for it without pve farming is exciting for me. And I would do it if its for the good of a guildy. I don't want to have to deal with dudes in trade.

edited April 2012
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Seriously though dark, if you want me to be your key bitch I will. Farming money is good for HoM and I really do enjoy PVP. just knowing I can work for money for it without pve farming is exciting for me. And I would do it if its for the good of a guildy. I don't want to have to deal with dudes in trade.

I'm totally down for that. I've got about 850k plat and almost 40 ectos in my stash, and I'm not planning on getting obby armor anytime soon so the ectos are just alternative cash for me. I've also got about 120 silver zcoins that I need to convert to cash once my plat falls from the limit. I'll do 13 ectos = 100k and buy all your zkeys (up to the HoM number) for whatever the high-end market rate is (since you're all guildies :D). This goes for everyone else, too, as long as my cash holds out.

I'll sell you the ones I can get from my 50 free tournament points.
    Huggles wrote: »

I'll buy 'em from both of ya! Ormuss, zkeys are currently going for something like 5.7-6k each, so if you don't want to go for the HoM title I'd be more than willing to pay you for 'em.

Darklyre on
    I'll buy 'em from both of ya! Ormuss, zkeys are currently going for something like 5.7-6k each, so if you don't want to go for the HoM title I'd be more than willing to pay you for 'em.
    Yeah, I don't think that title is part of my HoM plans, so I'll sell them to you.

edited April 2012
    I'm seriously considering ending this drive for HoM points. I am not enjoying this. Like, at all. The Nightfall missions contain no fun for me. Is this what the other campaigns are like? I'm slowly becoming convinced that Guild Wars is not 'for' me.

Ormuss on
    I finally got far enough in Nightfall to dedicate a hero. I got my first earned HoM point. Feels good man.

The only reason I am so far behind is because I enjoy so much about the game I spend a lot of time dicking around. Most of which is PVP. But, I have 200k plat as of right now and a full set of 7 player support abilities to show for it. Just currently using 3 RoJ monks since I don't have the proper heroes for the setup yet. But Jesus beam wins games so.

I'm seriously considering ending this drive for HoM points. I am not enjoying this. Like, at all. The Nightfall missions contain no fun for me. Is this what the other campaigns are like? I'm slowly becoming convinced that Guild Wars is not 'for' me.

The missions can be hard your first time through because you have no skills yet, and players have mostly abandoned the campaigns outside of the daily Zaishen Mission. Ask around on guild chat if you want some company and heroes with you on a mission. I'm sure most of us can spare time to help run you through some missions and explorable areas.

Yeah, I'll do that...and I should probably stop whining, get some sleep, and not play as much when I'm exhausted...thanks guys. :)

So I was getting bored running Imbagon so I switched out to spirit spam/spear skills Paragon for a bit. Holy crap did my DPS jump way way up. (Imbagon is not a DPS spec but 7-hero support has so much protection and healing running as imba in most situations is unnecessary.)

edited April 2012
    I kind of want to edit the 7 support build for more offense really. The creator has already done so but without being a rit I have to be more creative. I think I know some of the things I can do though.

Kai_San on
    edited April 2012
    Instead of an RoJ Monk I tend to use a fire/earth elementalist. Half the bar is Searing Flames and things to support it (Savannah Heat might be better here but I need to test it) the other half of the bar is Earth Wards.

Edit: @Ormuss I often have to take breaks from the game. I'm at 23 HoM about to hit 24 but sometimes I just need to walk away for a few days. Then the want to play hits and I grind out for a few days. It's can be cyclical.

Seidkona on
  • SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    @Ormuss I recently went through the exact same thing you are. Seriously, go back and look at some of my posts. I was generating unhealthy amounts of frustration trying to brute-force my way through the last couple missions in Nightfall. A couple things helped me dial it back a bit: 1) Admit defeat and ask a guildie for help. Is this the coward's way out? Maybe, but like I said before I spent 2 full days raging at the last mission of nightfall before I finally asked unintentional for help and we beat it in 6 minutes. 2) Try out other professions. I did this through pvp and it helped me determine that alot of my frustration was coming from the fact that I suck at/do not enjoy playing a Dervish. I rolled a Mesmer, made an extremely basic skill rotation out of easily attainable skills, and am having loads more fun. 3) Realize you're not gonna get to 30 points in a week. This could just apply to me, but I spent a fair amount of time before even buying GW trying to figure out the most expedient way to 30 points, thinking I could power my way through, only to find that, as a new player, there is a shitload of stuff you have to do (gather skills most importantly, but also collect heroes, unlock travel points, etc.) that will require a significant time investment before you can even think about that stuff.

I am trying now to focus more on enjoying the game on its own merits (novel concept right!) instead of viewing it as an obstacle I need to clear to get stuff for GW2 and I feel like it's working.

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
    No super its not just you. I spent weeks in here and the old gw2 thread asking people about hom and planning out getting it really fast. Totally underestimated the amount of work involved that many guides skip over as trivial.mainly doing the campaigns. I didn't bother to realize they were full games involving 30+ hours of gameplay they were fully standalone games and we forget that. This was content meant to last people for a long time.

Yeah, wanting to rush through HoM and assume you can get 30 points easily is a tad silly, I guess. The HoM was originally designed, I'd assume, to reward the people who'd been playing GW1 for years and enjoying themselves. Sure, we found a map and schedule to do it in two months or so if speed tripping, but it isn't really the way it was planned for.

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Well, I found out about GW2 before really being interested in GW1, and it was the prospect of the HoM that led me to spend money on GW1 to find out what all the fuss was about. So there's that I suppose. Play ANet's previous game and be rewarded for it when their new game comes out!

I'm enjoying GW1 (for the most part, Prophecies is exceptionally dull after EoTN) as a game in it's own right too though, so I suppose we all win!

edited April 2012

I am finding Nightfall to be the least interesting campaign, and I played Prophecies all the way through. Factions was tough to get into, but I think that's mostly because Kaineng City is such a shit-hole. Once I got out of that oppressive place, I started having fun again. Prophecies is a lot longer, but at least it has an interesting story. I guess it was easy for me to relate to human oppression, and allies/enemies who want to rule the world. On the other hand, the Nightfall main storyline seems so... I don't know... contrived? predictable? Something about it just doesn't get me invested, and it feels like I'm just going through the motions, completing missions simply for the HoM credit. Maybe it's because I've already done EotN and WiC, and Nightfall is just so not-as-intense as those were.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Stupid wrote: »

I am finding Nightfall to be the least interesting campaign, and I played Prophecies all the way through. Factions was tough to get into, but I think that's mostly because Kaineng City is such a shit-hole. Once I got out of that oppressive place, I started having fun again. Prophecies is a lot longer, but at least it has an interesting story. I guess it was easy for me to relate to human oppression, and allies/enemies who want to rule the world. On the other hand, the Nightfall main storyline seems so... I don't know... contrived? predictable? Something about it just doesn't get me invested, and it feels like I'm just going through the motions, completing missions simply for the HoM credit. Maybe it's because I've already done EotN and WiC, and Nightfall is just so not-as-intense as those were.

I'm guessing your character is a Prophecies one? My main is a Nightfall character and I found it the most interesting campaign by a fair bit, but you start the two campaigns you don't create your character in after all the introduction stuff, which is pretty important in the case of like all three campaigns. So it may simply be a case of not experiencing the setup so being less tied into the plot.

In other news, WoC done (NM), no idea if I'll try HM... good campaign overall, even if the Cleansings dragged a hair (though each was fairly short). That concludes all the normal content for me (well, could do side quests and such, but meh), onto forging those armors... was going to stop at 25 originally, but since I can get the final 5 points with 5 armors, and i have a bunch of cash and misc stuff just sitting in my inventory, might as well give it a shot.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
    I find nightfall much much more enjoyable than the first 4 or 5 missions of proph o played, but that is mostly because its very character driven due to heroes. I come from being a huge eastern rpg fan so character driven plots all I usually need.

also I love the shit out of this game right now. I was glad to put out the money for it and it was exactly the game I was looking for right now to scratch an itch.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    How do you get RoJ for a monk hero? For as far as I can see you can only get it through Signet of Capture and that does not unlock the skill for heroes, right?

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    How do you get RoJ for a monk hero? For as far as I can see you can only get it through Signet of Capture and that does not unlock the skill for heroes, right?

Unlocking a skill for your player unlocks it for all your heroes as well, whether it be via book or capture (or purchase for normal skills).

Hero Skill vendors are really just a way to get skills that aren't in the campaigns you purchased or you don't feel like buying/getting yourself.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    steejee wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

Unlocking a skill for your player unlocks it for all your heroes as well, whether it be via book or capture (or purchase for normal skills).

Hero Skill vendors are really just a way to get skills that aren't in the campaigns you purchased or you don't feel like buying/getting yourself.
    Oh OK :o Then I know what to do. Cheers

Pvp for hero skills.
    Seriously, anything else is a huuuuuuuuge waste of time.

steejee wrote: »
    Stupid wrote: »

I'm guessing your character is a Prophecies one? My main is a Nightfall character and I found it the most interesting campaign by a fair bit, but you start the two campaigns you don't create your character in after all the introduction stuff, which is pretty important in the case of like all three campaigns. So it may simply be a case of not experiencing the setup so being less tied into the plot.

While my "main" (and favorite) character is a Prophecies one, I created a new Dervish to do Nightfall. Currently sitting at 19/20 missions completed.

My feeling is that the whole "save the world from an evil god" (Nightfall) storyline seems a lot more contrived that "save the country from a group of evil oppressors (who are getting help from a supernatural source)" (Prophecies) story. Just like moives, these stories depend on the viewer's willing suspension of disbelief. Maybe it's just me. I'm a lot more willing to believe that people are fucked up and will subject their fellow humans to unspeakable horrors in order to advance their own agenda than I am willing to believe that some supernatural force is going to invade the world. Probably say more about me personally than it does about the game, but there you have it.

26904.png
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Someone buying up zkeys in GToB for ecto, his rate is currently 4zkeys for 3ecto. Thats 6k per zkey at 8k per ecto. The price of zkeys is bumping up a bit faster than I anticipated.