As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

books

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    conan is great because yes it's formulaic but who cares when the formula is "conan killed eight guys in six seconds and then fucked a lady with big tits"

this reminds me if anyone wants a nice epub/mobi of the conan stories that are public domain

i actually just finished editing this bitch last night

• HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    Also, Howard was pen pals with H.P. Lovecraft and his influence on the Conan stories is neat to see. There's definitely a Cthulhu feel to the magic and deities.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Yes please @Buttlord.

ok let me convert it to mobi and put it somewhere

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Need some dirt on my Kindle. Gimme some Conan, Butt.

Fuck off and die.
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Arang wrote: »
    in other news I just finished cormac mccarthy's blood meridian

I liked it but not as much as, say, the border trilogy

really like everything he's written that I have read

i try to read other McCarthy books once in a while, but the way he constructs his sentences is really... obtuse or intimidating or off-putting or something and don't ever make it through any of his books. I read The Road years ago, and gave it to my Dad, who promptly bought all of McCarthy's books and read all of them in one summer I think.

yeah, he has a very set style

you can see in his earlier books how the editor has tried to keep it under control and fill in some punctuation at least, and then with No Country for example it's just all over the page

also it can be hard to follow the action with the prose and shifting of viewpoints, but on the other hand he's so damn good at writing

thenews.jpg
    McCarthy has almost no fucks to give. I'll bet a dollar his next book will eschew word separation, vowels and capital letters. He's all ready killed dialogue formatting, might as well take on all of grammar next.

He is my go to guy, though. He called the Bible a Semitic chap book and I knew we had been blood brothers all along.

Also, thanks for the Conan, Buttlord.

Fuck off and die.
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Give me conan too.

Thanks!

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I too wish for the Conan, for Kindle (is that the mobi format? I think it is)

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yes, I would like Conan as well. I have two physical books with several stories in them but it'd be nice to have them all on my Kindle too.

Also, just finished Leviathan and it was pretty good. Kind of disappointed that it ended so abruptly, even though I know it's just the first of a trilogy. Probably going to start on the sequel Behemoth tomorrow. And yes, I know I'm not supposed to like steampunk stuff because it's stupid but fuck all y'all, I enjoyed the shit out of it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I started re-reading the Blood Bowl Omnibus.

It is so good.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Darmak wrote: »
    Yes, I would like Conan as well. I have two physical books with several stories in them but it'd be nice to have them all on my Kindle too.

Also, just finished Leviathan and it was pretty good. Kind of disappointed that it ended so abruptly, even though I know it's just the first of a trilogy. Probably going to start on the sequel Behemoth tomorrow. And yes, I know I'm not supposed to like steampunk stuff because it's stupid but fuck all y'all, I enjoyed the shit out of it.

I've been meaning to read those books. I wanted to listen to them but they don't have audiobooks yet.

Keith Thompson really made me want to read them

http://www.keiththompsonart.com/
    1538sgm.jpg

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    steampunk can huff my balls

I've been meaning to read those books. I wanted to listen to them but they don't have audiobooks yet.

1538sgm.jpg

I thought the art in the books looked familiar. I love his work.

JtgVX0H.png
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I am currently reading Catch-22 and it is damn good
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    McCarthy has almost no fucks to give. I'll bet a dollar his next book will eschew word separation, vowels and capital letters. He's all ready killed dialogue formatting, might as well take on all of grammar next.

He is my go to guy, though. He called the Bible a Semitic chap book and I knew we had been blood brothers all along.

Also, thanks for the Conan, Buttlord.

Oh man, McCarthy is excellent but he can sure rip your still-beating heart out of your chest and force you to drown it with your own tears

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    What I'm saying is that McCarthy bums me out, you see

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I am currently reading Catch-22 and it is damn good

HELL YES

edited April 2012

1538sgm.jpg

It really makes me hope the Mountains at Madness movie gets finished. He was working on designing for the movie.

Lord_Asmodeus on

1538sgm.jpg

It really makes me hope the Mountains at Madness movie gets finished. He was working on designing for the movie.

The one based on the Lovecraft story directed by Guillermo del Toro? I thought it was canceled?

JtgVX0H.png

1538sgm.jpg

The one based on the Lovecraft story directed by Guillermo del Toro? I thought it was canceled?

I heard it was put on hold. If it was cancelled I am super sad... and hope it get's UNcancelled.

No, checking Wikipedia it says it was put on hold, you're correct

JtgVX0H.png
    Well that gladdens my heart. And fills it with the untold horrors of beyond.

That would be a totally radical movie. I hope it gets made and released some time.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    really enjoying the blade itself so far

been reading that instead of text books

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    hey darmak did you get that thing i sent you

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

1538sgm.jpg

Heyyy whoa wait what is this

How have I possibly not read this yet? That art is a tribute to some of my favourite propaganda pieces from the war!

Observe!
    europaimjahre1915.jpg
    europeanrevuekillthatea.jpg
    harkharkthedogsdobark19.jpg
    humoristischekartevoneu.jpg
    kartevoneuropaimjahre19.png
    satyrischeeuropakarte19.jpg
    sommerschauubereuropa19.png

I have so many of these

If these books include those maps I suppose it is my responsibility to acquire them.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited April 2012
    Buttlord wrote: »
    hey darmak did you get that thing i sent you

Yes I did, thank you so much!

edit: unfortunately, LS, the map wasn't in the book I read though it's possible it's in the second or third.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited April 2012
    There's other propaganda stuff too

dzaz4l.jpg

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    There's other propaganda stuff too

dzaz4l.jpg

I've played this d&d game

We need political drawings like these.

Fuck off and die.
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    I fucking love the way McCarthy writes

like I know he gives no fucks about punctuation but he's the only author I will ever allow to get away with that shit

edited April 2012
    edit: double post

Grey Ghost on
    John Hodgman's last book has this bit across the top of each page recounting that day's event in the countdown to the Apocalypse

One of the recurring bits is that Jonathan Franzen has been given a secret mission by Oprah Winfrey and has been going around handing out ominous manila envelopes to certain well-known people
    February 10, 2012

Jonathan Franzen hands Cormac McCarthy a plain manila envelope. Cormac McCarthy, who is busy taking all the punctuation marks out of his new novel, opens it, shakes his gray head, hands it back.
    Dont want it, he says.
    You sure? says Franzen.
    I am. I dont want any part of it.
    I almost made the same mistake once, says the younger man. I said no. Once.
    Well go on then, says the old man. Go on and make a whole new mistake. You just go on. But I wont go with you.
    The young man goes. The old man stays. He looks at the sky. He looks at the earth. He stays.

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    I fucking love McCarthy's prose, it's so beautiful. The descriptions of anything bad happening can destroy me emotionally, just how matter-of-fact he can write about a man dying.

Been reading Leviathan Wakes this last week, pretty easy fiction 'bout space n' shit.
    Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    John Hodgman's last book has this bit across the top of each page recounting that day's event in the countdown to the Apocalypse

One of the recurring bits is that Jonathan Franzen has been given a secret mission by Oprah Winfrey and has been going around handing out ominous manila envelopes to certain well-known people
    February 10, 2012

Jonathan Franzen hands Cormac McCarthy a plain manila envelope. Cormac McCarthy, who is busy taking all the punctuation marks out of his new novel, opens it, shakes his gray head, hands it back.
    Dont want it, he says.
    You sure? says Franzen.
    Well go on then, says the old man. Go on and make a whole new mistake. You just go on. But I wont go with you.
    The young man goes. The old man stays. He looks at the sky. He looks at the earth. He stays.

This is incredible.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    @Lost Salient have you read any of John Hodgman's books of fake trivia?

They're all fantastic but the last one might be my favorite

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    About to start the Decameron for class.

Should be interesting.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I fucking love the way McCarthy writes

like I know he gives no fucks about punctuation but he's the only author I will ever allow to get away with that shit
    falkner????
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

February 10, 2012

Dont want it, he says.
    You sure? says Franzen.

whoa

This discussion has been closed.