As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] pooped on the floor again

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Punkbuster is shit. It is worthless, useless shit. Started getting the "punkbuster has kicked you for 0 minutes" error last night. None of the "fixes" work. Trying to play Battlefield 3 is useless now, I can't stay in a match more than 5 minutes.

Maybe you should stop cheating you big cheater. (That sucks man :( )

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    whatever happend to just having admins monitor a game and kick cheaters

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    okay so ME3 questions as I get closer to playing it. please don't spoil stuff for me, this is mechanics related
    my excess minerals mined in ME2 convert to galactic readiness, right? what is the conversion rate like? i'm thinking i need to get that as high as possible because it usually takes me while to play games and i dont want it to deteriorate on me so i get a bad ending

PLay ME3 MULTIPLAYER WITH US.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    i have said this before in [chat] but I don't understand twitter at all

I think very few of us around here have any affinity for twitter.

I'd say twitter is mostly popular for its simplicity and accessibility, neither of which would appeal to people who are particularly tech literate.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I think that Kickstarter is going to have huge ramifications on the way business works moving forwards, but I really have no idea ultimately of the shape of changes to come.

Like who the hell thought that youtube and twitter would change the world?

Youtube moreso than twitter.

The ability to easily share video with anyone in the world is a huge thing.

I'm not sure how much I'd say twitter has changed things? I mean, it's just one of many venues to share text online, it's just a popular one, but if twitter wasn't there it's role could easily be fulfilled by other sites like Facebook.

I wouldn't say twitter has changed anything

it's like, who knew SMS would be huge?

Hasn't really changed shit

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Heh.

If I'm reading this legislation right, police have the power to chase after someone involved in a crash which just hurts the driver, kick down their door to get to them, ask them for a breath test, and if they refuse - the police have to summons them and walk straight back out the door.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I wonder if twitter being more akin to "SMS cc:all" than a website is what marks it as more aligned with the presumed future trends -- YouTube or Facebook are very much websites.

Twitter would not seem to be particularly effected if they had no site -- if you just texted or emailed to set up an account and used 1st or 3rd party software to send in the tweets and add friends ...

Enh, maybethe distinction is irrelevant

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    I think that Kickstarter is going to have huge ramifications on the way business works moving forwards, but I really have no idea ultimately of the shape of changes to come.

I'm not sure how much I'd say twitter has changed things? I mean, it's just one of many venues to share text online, it's just a popular one, but if twitter wasn't there it's role could easily be fulfilled by other sites like Facebook.

I think twitter pioneered a lot of the SMS to Internet thing. Really made it a core focus of their bizness, thus allowing many millions more access their service even without a smartphone. This probably played a big role in establishing its global popularity

The phone thing is a good point -- that whole mode of communication will probably continue to push Internet access in so many markets. Where would Internet access be in parts of Africa without cellphones?

Internet access in Africa has grown 2,988.4 % since 2000.

• Options
    Punkbuster is shit. It is worthless, useless shit. Started getting the "punkbuster has kicked you for 0 minutes" error last night. None of the "fixes" work. Trying to play Battlefield 3 is useless now, I can't stay in a match more than 5 minutes.

Ah, punkbuster. Fond memories of fighting with it over BF2.

Another reason to not bother with PC.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Leitner wrote: »
    Heh.

If I'm reading this legislation right, police have the power to chase after someone involved in a crash which just hurts the driver, kick down their door to get to them, ask them for a breath test, and if they refuse - the police have to summons them and walk straight back out the door.

Hahahaha.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I love having to fuck with my router in order to not get the "You have timed out" error

tyrannus on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Twitter is good for bands/comedians.

It allows me to know when tickets are going on sale or when there's a random thing I want to do.

• Options
    desc wrote: »

I think twitter pioneered a lot of the SMS to Internet thing. Really made it a core focus of their bizness, thus allowing many millions more access their service even without a smartphone. This probably played a big role in establishing its global popularity

The phone thing is a good point -- that whole mode of communication will probably continue to push Internet access in so many markets. Where would Internet access be in parts of Africa without cellphones?

Internet access in Africa has grown 2,988.4 % since 2000.

Desc-> o/ \o <- africa

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I still don't get Twitter.

Maybe if I could roll it into Pidgin without needing an account or something, but it seems distressingly dissimilar to IRC, which has only ever helped.

I suppose "IRC, but you make your own channel and put people in it" is a good description.

google+'s hangout system fills that niche pretty well

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    *sigh* JET email did not show up while I sleep.

I guess that means I get to spend all day panic checking my email every five minutes.

Stupid emotions.

So it's definitely today? Is today, like, the last day they're sending out acceptation messages or something?

I hope you'll get in. It sounds like quite an adventure!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Internet is full of dumb people saying Notch is ripping off TF2 because he used a low-poly Soldier model for prototyping in his space game.

• Options
    Thanks to SMS, just this morning I learned that a building across the street was shut down by the cops because of a suspicious package as it happened.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    whatever happend to just having admins monitor a game and kick cheaters

They stopped letting people fully run their own servers in a lot of games.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Would you really say that SMS hasn't changed anything?

I mean, look at your life on a day-to-day basis.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I love having to fuck with my router in order to not get the "You have timed out" error

It only just started happening, too. I've been playing since November without a problem. Last night, every game, "kicked for 0 minutes".

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Internet is full of dumb people .

Ayup.

Also, is this for 0x10c? because I have no idea who that game is aimed at.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    okay so ME3 questions as I get closer to playing it. please don't spoil stuff for me, this is mechanics related
    my excess minerals mined in ME2 convert to galactic readiness, right? what is the conversion rate like? i'm thinking i need to get that as high as possible because it usually takes me while to play games and i dont want it to deteriorate on me so i get a bad ending

judging by my [chat] multiplayer history by the time i get around to it [chat] will be done with it

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular

Um...I barely use text messages.

• Options
    Gooey, your question:
    there's two numbers -- your basic score which incorporates story decisions and carry-over stuff like resources from last games and the active current readiness modifier which you want at 100% so you are getting the full 100% value of th Galactic Readiness.

That modifier is what decreases and not th actual number. You won't lose anything over time in terms of the actual resources -- and it takes just a few matches in Multi to hit 100%. There's a free iApp thing as well.

(I have no idea on the exchange rate but let me look into it since I can't be spoilered at this point)

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    so like

what stops a person from promising to do something on kickstarter

and then not doing it and taking all the money

I think the way it works is that money only changes hands after the product is released?

So like, maybe the start up company can borrow against the money they have raised in the kickstarter but, until they release the product, they don't actually get the money from kickstarter.

Does that make sense?

Nope, once they exceed their goal and the time ends, everybody pays up.

It's inevitable that there will be a major shitstorm at some point when a major project doesn't deliver (it's happened for a least one small project that I'm familiar with).

Oh, well that's dumb. I wouldn't do it like that.

would you have the money change hands after the product is released, then?

Because I hope you see the obvious flaw in that.

I'm assuming the "obvious flaw" is that the company could release a shitty product or something that doesn't deliver on the features promised? And I'm hoping you see that obvious response that kickstarter as a company would have to such an action?

no

the obvious flaw being if they don't fund it until after it is released then it won't have funding to get released

Oh, I've already addressed that!

@gooey I'm not seeing where @winky described his idea!

I'm not seeing where. That they should borrow money, with the money they don't have?

If it fails, there is still zero money to pay down the loan. Bank is not amused.

That's not really true. The bank would be able to take control and liquidate all assets of the failed company. Remember, I proposed this solution specifically to solve the "People starting kickstarter and running off with the money" problem. I think it works.

what assets?

if the company had enough assets to get a big enough loan, they don't need the kickstarter

the cash that people have pleged

a cash secured loan would be super simple. people put up their funds for the KS. the money gets put in a lockbox, KS holds the key. Scary Financial Institution funds the project. If project delivers, people get their stuff, upstart company gets its money, bank gets paid back.

the kicker is that the financial guys do the due dilligence on the upstart (can they actually do this? can they actually do this for this amount of money?) and monitor (are they actually doing it?)

based upon the calculated risk levels of both the bank may lend more/less than what the KS is asking for. if they lend less against the collateral (the cash people have put up) people might actually wind up getting some of their money back instead of getting entirely screwed.
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    so like

Fraud charges?

there's no legal obligation to deliver, though. afaik

like, i get kickstarter funds, blow through all my cash on "development" or whatever. It's all in the name of bringing my project together, but it goes towards my "office" and ramen noodles and whatnot

as long as i can prove that that cash went towards my project in some fashion, i skirt fraud charges

Yes there is a legal obligation to deliver. I'm not sure where you got that idea from. It's the same standard accountability issues for any other funding source.

No there isnt!

If my idea doesn't work and my 30 grand or whatever isn't sufficient and I don't deliver, I haven't necessarily committed fraud.

I'll be a bit clearer. There is a legal obligation to make a good faith attempt to deliver a product for market. The way this works is a bit different then angel funding since there isn't an exchange of ownership, or the much more complicated contracts in place that come with angel funding or VC funding. It would make the civil fraud lawsuit complicated. But the criminal side is pretty straight forward. If you don't make a good faith effort to attempt to bring the product to market, you're gonna run afoul of criminal fraud laws.

That's what I'm saying. I know I started talking about straight up fraud, but I'm saying that there is some large project eventually that is going to go belly up even with a good faith effort to deliver. and unless KS has enough private equity backing to just give people their money back they will be up a creek

But, in my experience, a "good faith effort" has a malleable definition

Except presumably this person/group/company is asking for $100k because they need $100k to finish the project. So if the bank comes along and uses that $100k pledge to secure only a $50k loan, the project can't be completed. Not to mention that the costs associated with doing due diligence, then monitoring the project, and then using lawyers to confiscate property and resell it at a discount would chew through a ton of funding. If I donate a hundred bucks to a kickstarter that fails, and I get $3.75 back, what the hell do I care? And not only is there no benefit to me, all the strict rules and niggling details and placing blame absolutely kills the enthusiasm and drive for this type of smallscale investing.

This solution does not solve anything.

Venture capital already exists if that's what you're looking for.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    so like

Fraud charges?

like, i get kickstarter funds, blow through all my cash on "development" or whatever. It's all in the name of bringing my project together, but it goes towards my "office" and ramen noodles and whatnot

as long as i can prove that that cash went towards my project in some fashion, i skirt fraud charges

Yes there is a legal obligation to deliver. I'm not sure where you got that idea from. It's the same standard accountability issues for any other funding source.

No there isnt!

If my idea doesn't work and my 30 grand or whatever isn't sufficient and I don't deliver, I haven't necessarily committed fraud.

I'll be a bit clearer. There is a legal obligation to make a good faith attempt to deliver a product for market. The way this works is a bit different then angel funding since there isn't an exchange of ownership, or the much more complicated contracts in place that come with angel funding or VC funding. It would make the civil fraud lawsuit complicated. But the criminal side is pretty straight forward. If you don't make a good faith effort to attempt to bring the product to market, you're gonna run afoul of criminal fraud laws.

That's what I'm saying. I know I started talking about straight up fraud, but I'm saying that there is some large project eventually that is going to go belly up even with a good faith effort to deliver. and unless KS has enough private equity backing to just give people their money back they will be up a creek

Oh I'm sure some well meaning person will make a serious go of it and fail due to poor management, planning or other issues. Which is definitely different then fraud. I'm guessing they could get an insurance policy for this covering projects over a set amount that they figure might trigger serious legal actions. I don't know if the rates would make sense from a business perspective but I'm guessing it's an option. I'm guessing high dollar applications are going to be routed through a different process then the guy trying to raise 10 grand as well.

• Options

Now? No difference from not being able to text. I'd call.

As a young teen, being somewhere boring would be different as I wouldn't be texting with like, everyone I knew

so apart from tween life, not a lot of impact, really.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    so like

I think the way it works is that money only changes hands after the product is released?

So like, maybe the start up company can borrow against the money they have raised in the kickstarter but, until they release the product, they don't actually get the money from kickstarter.

Does that make sense?

Nope, once they exceed their goal and the time ends, everybody pays up.

It's inevitable that there will be a major shitstorm at some point when a major project doesn't deliver (it's happened for a least one small project that I'm familiar with).

Oh, well that's dumb. I wouldn't do it like that.

would you have the money change hands after the product is released, then?

Because I hope you see the obvious flaw in that.

I'm assuming the "obvious flaw" is that the company could release a shitty product or something that doesn't deliver on the features promised? And I'm hoping you see that obvious response that kickstarter as a company would have to such an action?

no

the obvious flaw being if they don't fund it until after it is released then it won't have funding to get released

Oh, I've already addressed that!

@gooey I'm not seeing where @winky described his idea!

I'm not seeing where. That they should borrow money, with the money they don't have?

If it fails, there is still zero money to pay down the loan. Bank is not amused.

That's not really true. The bank would be able to take control and liquidate all assets of the failed company. Remember, I proposed this solution specifically to solve the "People starting kickstarter and running off with the money" problem. I think it works.

what assets?

if the company had enough assets to get a big enough loan, they don't need the kickstarter

the cash that people have pleged

a cash secured loan would be super simple. people put up their funds for the KS. the money gets put in a lockbox, KS holds the key. Scary Financial Institution funds the project. If project delivers, people get their stuff, upstart company gets its money, bank gets paid back.

the kicker is that the financial guys do the due dilligence on the upstart (can they actually do this? can they actually do this for this amount of money?) and monitor (are they actually doing it?)

based upon the calculated risk levels of both the bank may lend more/less than what the KS is asking for. if they lend less against the collateral (the cash people have put up) people might actually wind up getting some of their money back instead of getting entirely screwed.
    so like

Fraud charges?

No there isnt!

Except presumably this person/group/company is asking for $100k because they need $100k to finish the project. So if the bank comes along and uses that $100k pledge to secure only a $50k loan, the project can't be completed. Not to mention that the costs associated with doing due diligence, then monitoring the project, and then using lawyers to confiscate property and resell it at a discount would chew through a ton of funding. If I donate a hundred bucks to a kickstarter that fails, and I get $3.75 back, what the hell do I care? And not only is there no benefit to me, all the strict rules and niggling details and placing blame absolutely kills the enthusiasm and drive for this type of smallscale investing.

This solution does not solve anything.

it would work as an advance in that case. re-evaluate when the cash has dried up and release more if the project is viable.

"smallscale investing" goes completely out the window when there are kickstarters in the millions of dollars. unless KS can figure out how to manage that risk appropriately they are in trouble.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    me2
    all i've got left is jack and thane's loyalty missions, then i have to do the 3 dlc's, then reaper IFF

when do I get legion? I can't remember. Is it on the reaper IFF mission? And then after the next mission the collectors attack my ship?

also taking the renegade options in tali's trial was soooooo awesome
    You get Legion on the IFF. I like to leave one loyalty mission for after it, so it goes IFF > Other Loyalty > Legion Loyalty. It lets you unlock Legion's Widow before doing his loyalty mission and gives you an extra mission to use him on if so inclined
    I did that, and ended up screwed, FYI. If you go this route, make sure you save immediately before going to the Reaper IFF mission.
    I have done this probably literally a dozen times without issue. What mission did you leave for after? Did you leave exactly one mission?
    I think you're right, and I left two, instead of one.

IMO, you should save Tali's loyalty mission for last. Bringing Legion to the Flotilla is pretty awesome.

• Options

judging by my [chat] multiplayer history by the time i get around to it [chat] will be done with it

Well, just play it then. There are no real spoilers.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Don't freakout about the war readiness number. Maxing it out is easy without playing any multiplayer. Just explore.

• Options

You don't need GR that badly. Chillax.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BobCesca wrote: »

I mean, past a certain age range texting is basically non-existant, but for people my age if you don't text as one of your primary methods of communication you are in a very small minority.

• Options
    Internet is full of dumb people saying Notch is ripping off TF2 because he used a low-poly Soldier model for prototyping in his space game.

the internet is made entirely of dumb people

i remember dudes getting into arguments over whether or not units were overpowered in the starcraft 2 reveal video

the reveal video

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Twitter was instrumental in the Arab Spring.

Being able to instantly and conveniently communicate with everybody interested in a certain topic is kind of a big deal.

Gooey - don't even worry about that.
    You can get the highest necessary Galactic Readiness by doing all of the single-player content built in to stock ME3, including the sidequests and scanning (which goes much faster in ME3).

If you still don't quite have enough, 2-3 hours of multiplayer will put you well into the good ending range.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BobCesca wrote: »

I mean, past a certain age range texting is basically non-existant, but for people my age if you don't text as one of your primary methods of communication you are in a very small minority.

It still hasn't changed much, though. If we didn't use texts, we'd use something else.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SMS is a cool technology except for the part where it costs $0.0001 per month per customer to provide unlimited service and we get charged so ludicrously far in excess of the cost that I want to burn every wireless telco to the ground.

But people I want to talk to use it, especially pretty girls. So I pay for an unlimited plan and try not to think about it.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I find it more difficult to type on my iPhone now that I'm used to it than i did when it was new to me -- the lag where it starts to figure out a word or to switch a correct word to some other random word is just precisely the right speed to not be ready as I'm typing mid-word but to appear right as I'm about to hit space for the next word, thus triggering a switch.

I clear out the dictionary constantly (<-- becomes "comets TY" iPhone?) yet it is forever turning any misspelling of "people" into "pekoe" and the like from its wacky list.

Arrgh

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular

It is, indeed. I assume you've upgraded the PunkBuster file, opened ports, fucked a goat and prayed to the moon goddess, and all that other jazz?

Also, what is your BF3 soldier name, in case you do get it working, we can play together!

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

Except in this case the capital that is raised is done so by many people and not a single monolithic entity. It's about giving people what they want as opposed to what a VC firm thinks they want. It's really a much better way of doing things! Not perfect, but better.

Psn:wazukki
This discussion has been closed.