As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the Dao of "games journalism"

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I really want to try Dark Souls.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    he says, planning to buy the steel batallion game for kinect that will probably be controller-destroyingly hard

That seems impossible to accomplish for a Kinect title

Well, it uses a controller as well, so that certainly help.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Dark Souls is

pretty good

you might want to wait for the PC version though

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Yeah, but GFWL

6F32U1X.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    GFWL isn't *that* atrocious. Worth getting through for Dark Souls.

That said, I don't know why they didn't just go through Steam. But Namco is weird, so they probably aren't aware Steam exists or something.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    since I can't really have any multiplayer on my xbox, I think I'm going to buy it again for the PC just so I can finally have that experience

But I am a glutton for punishment, and I do love me some Dark Souls

if you have never played it before you definitely should

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Oh good, now there's a petition going around demanding REMOVE GFWL FROM DARK SOULS

6F32U1X.png
    It would be nicer if they switched to Steam, but it seems unlikely.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    While I'm not a fan of GFWL I can't seem to get worked up in this case. This port was far from a guaranteed thing to have happen and I kind of understand From not wanting to rewrite large amounts of network code when they can probably save a lot of time porting the XBL version to GFWL. Dark Souls has far from typical online play so it would likely be a pain in the ass to rewrite or switch over to Steamworks.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    There were some folks boycotting DoW2: Retribution for switching to Steam from GFWL

My mind boggled thinking about that one

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    dark souls is a game where you punch yourself in the sack over and over and over

using an exqually vexing software distributor seems like the next logical step

(i loved dark souls)

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The problem with games journalism is simply that we crave gaming news so much, and of course if we are going to devour every snippet of news information there is a lot of demand for immediate access and contacts with developers, leading to a hype circuit running between "journalist", news consumer and developer (together with marketing beasts and business-related hype exploiters). So not only is there mental hubris and heightening of expectations, there are no incentives for objectivity, harsh criticism or any insight and analysis beyond that which is possible in a hasty and emotional environment - very little. No one wants to say a long-awaited game ain't all that.

You gotta be nice and hype the big names if you want exclusive announcements and previews.

Absalon on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    he says, planning to buy the steel batallion game for kinect that will probably be controller-destroyingly hard

That seems impossible to accomplish for a Kinect title

Well, it uses a controller as well, so that certainly help.

I was waiting for someone to point that out!

Ha ho! I am sneaky and clever!

xmassig2.gif
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    That's part of it (and not exclusive to games either I might add) but even when a game justifiably gets glowing criticism, it's all-too-often in the form of a bland checklist; it's Fun with Good Graphics and Great Sound and, if you're lucky they'll compare it to another game so you can at least try and picture the type of Fun or the amount of Good Graphics

My biggest issue is less with the angle or conclusion of the reviews and more with the content or lack thereof

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I stopped paying attention to games reviews because it seemed like every other one was doing something like "The game looks good at 1280x1024 with 4xAA and textures turned to the highest setting. I give the graphics a 4/5." I just don't get how any of that is supposed to be useful

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    i will think about playing dark souls if its getting a pc version

on the other hand

i'll probably end up putting my fist through my monitor

and i like this monitor

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I love Dark Souls. That game has one of the best senses of exploration. It's weird how much of the game sticks in your head, I could easily recreate pretty much the entire game map in my head. Not something I could do for most games

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    I seen my brother and my friends playing it a few times, the boss fights are badass.
    I'll probably pick it up when it comes out for PC.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I would wear the SHIT out of a corset and some thigh high boots, let me tell you.

Listen, i like thigh highs and corsets too, but this was an upgrade to my full plate armour

2011-1-28_213025.jpg

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

If they try and hit you below the thighs or in the navel or boobs you got that shit covered!

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I don't even care how impractical that is.

It's just plain UGLY.

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    I vaguely remember a piece of armour in one of the NWN games that was a steel bra on women, and a strange length of nipple-touching wire on men.

It was, at least, equally stupid on both sexes

Or perhaps the nipple cable completed some kind of a circuit and allowed the men to function at peak capacity.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I vaguely remember a piece of armour in one of the NWN games that was a steel bra on women, and a strange length of nipple-touching wire on men.

It was, at least, equally stupid on both sexes

Or perhaps the nipple cable completed some kind of a circuit and allowed the men to function at peak capacity.

there was an item in the book of vile darkness called nipple clamps of exquisite pain

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Now I kinda wanna see a game where the effectiveness of the armor is inversely related to how sexy it is. Character in a steel bikini? Dead from one arrow. Character wearing what appears to be a radiator costume? Nigh-invulnerable.

Also you can't go out of third person so you have to stare at your character the entire time.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    when i played new vegas i installed a mod that gave me INVISIBLE ARMOR that used some unused slot so that i could have decent armor stats and still RP as a wanderer dragging my way across the wasteland in tattered clothes

every game needs that option

I love Dark Souls. That game has one of the best senses of exploration. It's weird how much of the game sticks in your head, I could easily recreate pretty much the entire game map in my head. Not something I could do for most games

it's what they don't tell you about the game world that does it. Like, why is Sen's Fortress even there if the actual entrance to Anot Londo is bricked up? what the fuck is up with the Painted World? why are there so many vases in the Undead Asylum? you having to fill all these gaps yourself in your head is what makes it so interesting and compelling.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I would wear the SHIT out of a corset and some thigh high boots, let me tell you.

go on

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I thought Demon's Souls was interesting and kind of fun but I kind of got bogged down in it.

Then an old friend from high school game by and played my character for a bit and got some secret stuff and also did some super hard gameplay stuff and it just killed any desire I had to play that game ever again.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

it's what they don't tell you about the game world that does it. Like, why is Sen's Fortress even there if the actual entrance to Anot Londo is bricked up? what the fuck is up with the Painted World? why are there so many vases in the Undead Asylum? you having to fill all these gaps yourself in your head is what makes it so interesting and compelling.

regarding the painted world, the story I pieced together about it is:
    it's a prison that was created for Priscilla, who I think is some sort of half-human, half-dragon abomination. She was sealed in the painting because the Lords were afraid of her powers, I think. Ariamis was some sort of magical artist who could create worlds by painting them, apparently.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    The problem with games journalism is simply that we crave gaming news so much, and of course if we are going to devour every snippet of news information there is a lot of demand for immediate access and contacts with developers, leading to a hype circuit running between "journalist", news consumer and developer (together with marketing beasts and business-related hype exploiters). So not only is there mental hubris and heightening of expectations, there are no incentives for objectivity, harsh criticism or any insight and analysis beyond that which is possible in a hasty and emotional environment - very little. No one wants to say a long-awaited game ain't all that.

You gotta be nice and hype the big names if you want exclusive announcements and previews.

solution: fuck the news cycle, read my site

it's because it's a contiguous space - every space is realistically & plausibly connected to the beginning area and you can always return, even to the undead asylum

almost nobody else does that shit. even dear esther is an impossible space

• DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Man, Dark Souls seems like such an interesting game.

Gonna give it a shot when it comes out on Pc.

it's because it's a contiguous space - every space is realistically & plausibly connected to the beginning area and you can always return, even to the undead asylum

almost nobody else does that shit. even dear esther is an impossible space

and it's made all the crazier by how batshit the locations are.

like sure, why not have a giant lava city underneath an underground swamp which also contains a hollow tree which leads down to a infinitely big lake

Steam ID
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    Reasons to carry a knife:

1. You're a drug dealer.

2. You're taking the drugs you're dealing.

It's not one or the other usually.

you're thinking pagers

normal people have jobs that require a knife
    or just want something to protect themselves with and don't want a CCP

coming from Florida to New York PLUS working at a place where I absolutely need to know knife laws has been a very large change in what I carry

in florida, it seemed to me like you don't even really need to know knife laws as long as it's not a damn spring loaded switch blade.

you could have a machete with you in your truck at all times and just be like "oh that, I do a lot of landscaping for the neighbors/family/myself"

ETqXK.png
    edited April 2012

regarding the painted world, the story I pieced together about it is:
    it's a prison that was created for Priscilla, who I think is some sort of half-human, half-dragon abomination. She was sealed in the painting because the Lords were afraid of her powers, I think. Ariamis was some sort of magical artist who could create worlds by painting them, apparently.

that's sort of what I pieced together, except
    I think she's definitely half dragon, half divine. Inside the painted world you find something resembling a church, and several artifacts relating to Velka, Goddess of Whatever. I'm guessing Priscilla is hers and Seath's daughter.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited April 2012
    I felt kind of bad about killing her

but gotta collect them tails!

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    The weapon you get from cutting off her tail isn't all that great either

But gotta get those achievements

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Dark Souls made me angry enough to bite a baby. I can tell when I was about 12 that game would've ruled my life, but holy hell my raaaage

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    edited April 2012
    The game is a lesson in just letting things go

Just lost an insane amount of souls essentially rendering the last couple hours lost? Chill man, there'll be more

frustrating as hell at first, but you eventually kind of go with the flow

edit: except those fucking anor londo archers, fuck those guys

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    Always be pyromancing

c9PXgFo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.