As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4e PbP] The Serpent Swallows its Tail (IC)

• MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular

How did Captain Harrowleaf react to the news of the Ogre King?

Did we get paid?

Did the shopkeeper want the dagger back?

Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    HP: 18/29 | Surge Value: 7 (7/7) | AP 1/1
    AC 15 | Fort 13 | Ref 15 | Will 16
    Insight: 16 | Perception: 19
    Condition: Concealment until EoMNT, +2 Bonus to all Def until EoMNT
    Darkspiral Aura: 0
    Cursed: Drake, Boss
    Campaign Languages
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    #1 I Don't know, you havn't returned and told him yet.

#2 Gotta return to get paid.

#3 No, but the Wizard said he would reward you for the Dagger+skull totem.

• Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    Snow, should we go ahead and get rolling, or do you want to add in Mint Julep before we get back to town?

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
    edited April 2012
    Ahh - my misunderstanding I had somehow assumed we were already back in town by this point....

Assuming the party informed Toman of the quest...
    "Well lets at least get these troublesome totems of terror back the wizard in Loudwater."

"Besides - between the three of us I don't think we have enough food left to feed a adar babi bach"

With that Toman sets off in the direction he believes to be Loudwater.
    Snow, should we go ahead and get rolling, or do you want to add in Mint Julep before we get back to town?
    I assume Mint will show up soon enough...

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    "Typical Toman, always traipsing off in the wrong direction..." As he said it, Amos looked at Rolan to confirm his assumption that Toman was wrong. Amos of course, had no idea where to go, since he was held captive and disoriented by those wretched Maglubiyens.

Hedging his bets, he continued, "Better go after him, to make sure he doesn't get his fool-self killed." With that he took off after Toman at a brisk power-walk.

Your travel back to town is both quick and event-less without the threat of goblins that harrowed you at every corner on your way out to the Barrow. When you approach the gates to Loudwater, Captain Harrowgate is there to greet you with a small contingent of guard. He is pleased to see you again, and even more pleased to hear of your success. He shows sincere sorrow when told of the loss of your allies, and says that he will petition the Magisters to commission a painting of your fallen fellows to be hung in the Town's Greathall.

Captain Harrowgate has never heard of the Ogre King, however he does seem concerned when you describe it. Especially when you detail how it turned translucent and drifted through the ceiling. According to him, that doesn't sound like any Ogre that he's ever heard of. He leads you to a large stone building in the center of town and asks that you wait outside. After a few minutes he comes back carrying three bowling-ball sized sacks. "Payment as promised for all of your adventuring crew, with a small bonus for your lost allies. "I wish that I could do more, but Loudwater is not a wealthy city." (100 gold for each of you).

He has, however, heard of GreySkull Citadel. GreySkull Citadel was a keep located in the High Gap of the Greypeak mountains to the east. The Gap and the Citadel once marked the only known pass to access the Black Road, the dangerous and only-known trade route through Anauroch, the Great Desert. Since the Spellplague, it has been abandoned as trade with the lands to the east was not needed, and the cities of Najara have had their hands full battling the horrors of wild Najara.

He, and the Magisters of Loudwater, would appreciate if you could investigate this seeming-threat in the Ogre King, and the recoming of Maglubiyet. They would of course find a way to repay you.

He suggests the wizard you spoke to before may be able to assist you more, and suggests that if you meet him tomorrow, he may have another member who could join your adventuring group in this endeavor.

edited April 2012
    Toman frowns in the light of day and tries to keep in the shade. He accepts the gold hesitantly since he was not a member of the original group, and he is certainly not accustom to being thanked or rewarded. He then pulls his cloak tightly around him and look around nervously.

Otherwise he waits until the rest of the party is ready to move on.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    "I accept this award only because you are so insistent, Captain. Ordinarily I would not, as I was not a party to the original contract. The group that you originally contracted with interrupted and then assisted in my escape from the goblins in question. Since several of the original contractees are no longer viable persons, their share should flow to their kin per stirpes. However, since it seems that none of the now defunct persons had the forethought to carry with them a last will and testament, naming their now-living descendants, their share returns to the corpus of the agreement. Since whoever drafted this agreement failed to appoint a trustee in the event that one or more shares would not be payable to the, I will invoke the powers entrusted to me as an ordained magistrate of Amaunator in Section 7.3(a)(5) of the Amaunatean Code to act as defacto trustee of the corpus."

"My first act as trustee is to set aside administrative fees, which in this case include, but are not limited to Trustee's fees in the amount of the 100 gold you first offered me. Other administrative fees are negligable in the present case. I then magnanimously transfer the balance of the corpus to Rolan and Toman as official and honorary parties to the original contract, in the amount of 100 gold apeice. I look forward to seeing you again tomorrow Captain, to meet this new person, who was, unfortunately, not a proper party to the contract."

edited April 2012
    Your group is given lodgings at the Green Tankard Tavern for the night. As before, you locate Curuvar in the taproom of the Inn. Contrary to his previous standoffishness, he greets you warmly this time, inviting you to a moderately sized backroom stocked with a goodly amount of food and wine. He asks to see the Skull Totem and examines it carefully, muttering a few incantations over it before handing it back to you.

“Your abilities match your ambition, it seems. By Mystara’s lost spell, it’s been too long since adventurers explored the secrets in this area. You may keep the totems. I merely wanted to see if you could retrieve them.

Anyhow – listen well – The so-called Ogre King was no mere Ogre. It was a beast called an Oni, an ogre like beast with mystical powers. This particular Oni being a very ancient one. Those silly goblins have been worshipping him for thousands of years as some sort of Demigod. They never realized that he was using them as fodder for his explorations. It sounds like through some unknown ritual, they have found a way to return him. Probably using these Totems that you now hold. Perhaps this Oni held more power than anyone knows.

I hear that you are to be traveling east towards Greypeak Citadel. That path takes you directly past ruined Llorhk. There was a fellow Wizard of my order who resided there before its fall. Xane he was called, and no-one has heard from him in quite some time. I would appreciate greatly if you would investigate his residence on your way and send word of what you find. In particular, if any of his studies were left behind I would be willing to pay you for their contents. I would be willing to give your wizard a ritual scroll that would allow him to let me know your discovery from Llorhk. What say you?”

Snowdown on
    edited April 2012
    Toman stops at an apple stall on the way in.
    Talking to the apple seller, Toman points to Amos as the cleric enters the building.
    "See that man? He is an ordained magistrate of Amaunator, and as such a trustworthy soul, I am sure you would agree. You may remember the recent goblin attack at this very market, and I am sure you can see that such attacks are a terrible plight on fine merchants of this city, such as yourself. Well, we have defeated those goblins and I hope you won't think me too bold if I might ask to take some of your apples. Its a small price to pay for our services and you can't deny it would be for a good cause if it is endorsed by a magistrate. And of course I wouldn't dream of demanding anything if you are of the mind to refuse, though we spoke to the Captain Harrowgate as well and I don't suppose he would be to happy to hear of such activity. At any rate, If you insist that I take a few ripe apples as a small token of your thanks to us, I would never refuse it."
    Bluff (Con) the Apple Merchant: 1d20+9 28
    Dropping several apples in his sack, he thanks the confused merchant before following his allies into the building and making his way to the back room.

Toman wanders in as the wizard finishes examining the totem, seeming much more at ease inside a building, away from the eyes of the citizens and out of the bright sun. He listens carefully, tossing an apple to both Rolan and Amos, and offering another to Curuvar. As the wizard finishes speaking the young warlock uses his dagger to help himself to a slice of cheese. "Sounds good, it will be nice to get on the road again and we can look for your missing mage of lost Llorhk. What type of research was this Xane into? And how do you propose we transport such items to you should any be found unattended?"

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    Rolan assists in the burial rituals as much as possible before gathering both the Skull and the Horn totems. Looking around at all the carnage he swallows deeply as he carves small markers for them using his arcane prowess.

Holding both totems he sighs, "at least I can take these back to their proper owner. Would either of you like to come with me? I know a nice little town that should be able to point us in the right direction to clean up, and refresh ourselves. Toman I'd appreciate another magic user, and if you can put up with Amos's insufferable prattling perhaps I could too".

Letting out a small chuckle he starts to walk towards the exit

Curuvar takes a pipe from his pocket and lights it. He pushes the tobacco pouch across the table and inclines his head to your group, in case anyone else has a pipe and would like some. Taking a long draw he lets the smoke trail slowly out of his mouth before speaking.

"Xane was doing some alchemical studies of an area of the eastern High Forest known as the Dire Wood. Any studies that you may find should be small and portable. Vials of Soil, bark from trees, vegetation, and the like. These you can place into this specially created case. The largest items that you would be likely to encounter would be a research manual or Tome. You would be able to identify this from any regular tome by its distinct writing style. It will be written from right to left, and not in any legible language to anyone but our order. Anything else that you fine will be considered yours for the taking."

He pulls out a leather bound square case and hands it to Rolan, opening the case reveals many well-padded slots for the storage of research vials.

edited April 2012
    Toman eyes the case skeptically, while slicing off a another piece from a large wedge of cheese and depositing the rest of it in his pack. "I certainly don't object to putting an effort to search the forlorn, fearsome features of a forgotten forest to find your fine friend." He picks up a couple of bottles of wine and inspects the labels as he waits for the rest of the party to conclude the deal.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    edited April 2012
    Rolan takes the case and smiles, "I'd be happy to expand my magical library. I'll look for your companion, and will send word of anything that we find. What should I do with these totems?"
    Is there anything in the pouches or is it just empty? And what should I put it as in my equipment slot.

Crimson Phantom on
    My guess would be Alchemy Case

Alchemy Case
    Price: 40 gp
    Weight: 20 lb
    Description: This sturdy leather valise includes well-packed glassware, a burner, a mortar and pestle, and dozens of jars of common alchemical reagents. You need an alchemy case, or access to an alchemical workshop, to use alchemist powers.

Campaign Languages
    The case is similar, but not as large as the one Midrealm is talking about. It has a few jars/vials that are empty, but the rest of the slots are empty.
    No mortar/pestle, no burner.

Also, he told you up above that you could keep all the totems, he just wanted to see if you were all talk, or if your group could actually retrieve them.

-- obviously, the "worthy" members of the group returned :)

Rolan takes the case and slings it over his shoulder, "I'll try to collect as much as I can, and thank you for the totems. How should I contact you once I find out anything in regards to the other member of your order?".

(He already gave you a scroll of Ritual of Sending in an above post)

Rolan apologizes, "I'm sorry. Just a bit out of it after losing so many of my companions. Would you happen to have any other magical oddities you would be willing to part with?"

edited April 2012
    Toman sets down a bottle of wine and picks up another, "If I understand our benefactor correctly," he replies to Rolan while studying the label, "there may be trinkets other than Xane's research to recover. Maybe rhyw beth hud for you to play with?"

Elvish:
    'some magical macguffin'

ACTIONS
    Standard Action: Slight of Hand
    'Toman also surreptitiously slides a bottle of wine into his rucksack.'
    -- Opposed Check: Against the passive Perception of each creature present.
    Thievery to Steal a Wine Bottle: 1d20+7 16
    I am not sure if there are modifiers - (distracted, etc)
    Unless there is a modifier, then Rolan notices, Amos does not (barely) and I am unsure about Curuvar

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    edited April 2012
    Amos was almost certain he had seen Toman's hand slip back from his rucksack too quickly. One's hands moving quickly was a tell-tale sign of na'er-do-wellery. But Amos couldn't be sure, so instead of causing a scene he decided to let it go.

"Yes, we will bring the light of Amaunator to the former residence of the Xane fellow. Before we settle this accord formally, would you be capable of transferring the enchantment of this skull totem to the weapon issued me by my order? It simply will not do for a magistrate of Amaunator to be debased by carrying a goblin fetish into battle." Amos pauses for a moment before summing up and putting his hand out towards Curuvar, "You will receive our considerably investigatory skill, and any of Xane's study material for a fair price. In exchange, we will get to keep anything else we find at Xane's residence, plus an enchantment transferal. And an upfront fee of 75 gold apiece."
    Diplomacy, to see if he will give us an upfront fee and a free enchantment transfer: 28. Amaunator's light shines on these negotiations.

Smoove Operator on

Curuvar doesn't seem to take notice of Toman's pilfering, and nods in agreement to Amos' proposal. "However, 50 gold of your upfront fee (indicating Amos) will go towards the materials to transfer the enchantment. I will waive my normal fee for time. Meet me here at breakfast time, and I will have a hearty morning's breakfast prepared for you all, in addition to your morning star and fees."

Rolan smiles as he watches the negotiations go on, "Thank you for your hospitality Cururvar."

Leaning back to Toman, Rolan whispers "Unless you plan to share that wine. I suggest you put it back"

Leaning back against the wall Rolan reflects on what all has happened that day, and looks forward to seeing what tomorrow brings.
    With that Rolan is ready to find a place to sleep for the night

edited April 2012
    "Well then, I suppose we shall retire to our quarters until the 'morrow." He turns toward Amos, "Did you secure private rooms for us? If not I will certainly share with Rolan." He nods toward the elf.

Regardless of the room situation, Toman will meet with Rolan in private and (after procuring a wineskin) give over half the contents of the bottle. If time permits he will visit some local shops during the day, but if not he will purchase some items tomorrow instead, replenishing supplies, buying some small items of gear, etc.

Toman slips out of the tavern during the night, and heads into the city. Moving quickly and silently through the night streets, the Warlock is too preoccupied with avoiding the areas of illumination to notice if any of his allies follow.
    Stealth to Sneak out of the Tavern: 1d20+9 16

Night Activities:
    Toman will track down a church of Kelemvor, or (if none can be found) find the caretaker of the local graveyard. After waking the priest or caretaker, the young warlock hands over the remaining half bottle of wine, "This wine is for you, as a gift and a payment," he explains in a hurried whisper. "There are, I am certain, those in this city who have passed through the ffenestri o farwolaeth and left behind widows and orphans." He hands over the sack of 100 gold given to him by the Captain. "There is an apple seller who sets his stall near the Green Tankard Tavern, you will buy from him all of his apples and distribute them to any orphans that you know of. The money that remains is to provide for the families left behind by those who have perished too soon. Divide everything fairly, keep none for yourself; for if I find you swindled money from those that this is intended for, the next payment you receive from me will be two copper pence laid out across your dead eyes." With that as his last utterance, Toman turns and gathers the shadows around him and he fades into the dark alleys.
    Intimidate vs priest/caretaker: 1d20+9 22
    Elvish:
    Portal of Death

Toman then carefully returns to his bed and spends an uneasy, restless night haunted by memories of events gone past.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    I will have a post ready for you guys in the morning. I seem to have caught strep throat from my kids, or something of the like.

The night passes uneventfully.

Since Rolan and Toman decide to share a room, give me private move silently/listen checks in PM.

The next morning you awake and head down to the private taproom to find Curuvar already waiting for you. The table is again stocked to the hilt with various meats, eggs, juices, milk, and fruits. Many delicacies that one does not often find in a common inn. Already seated at the table with him is Captain Harrowleaf, and a female tiefling. (Mint, describe yourself)

• Mint JulepMint Julep Registered User regular
    Appearing to be in her mid 20ths, she has striking features, with dark auburn hair, high cheekbones, ruddy skin, and luminous, but serious, golden eyes. Though seated, she seems to be fairly tall and sturdy, used to physical labor. Her clothing is unadorned, and simple in cut and cloth except for bright red ribbons encircling each wrist like a bracelet.

Enza - Tiefling Paladin of Ilmater
    HP: 26/33 | Surge Value: 8 (8/11) | AP 0/1
    AC 22 | Fort 15 | Ref 14 | Will 15
    Insight: 18 | Perception: 13
    Condition:
    Marked Foes: None /COLOR]
    Captain Harrowleaf stands at your entry, "My friends, I hope you do not mind my crashing your breakfast, but I thought it the perfect time to introduce you to the new member of your group, if you would have her. Enza here is a Holy Warrior of Ilmater, and the Magisters of Loudwater and I would be very pleased if you would accept her assistance."

As you sit down, each of your plates has a pouch sitting atop it. Amos' plate has a slightly smaller pouch than everyone else and in his chair rests the newly enchanted morning star.

Rolan leans over and whispers to Toman, "I wonder how Amos will do with another holy roller on the team"

Toma eyes the paladin, and gives a slight nod to Rolan. "Gobeithio ei bod yn fwy fel Kallas yna mae ein ynad hunanbwysig," he whispers in return. Toman remains standing and watches Amos and Enza, waiting to see how they react to one another.

Elvish:
    Perhaps she will be more like Kallas instead of our egotistical magistrate.

Campaign Languages
    Captain Harrowleaf raises an eyebrow, "Gweld fel mae hi'n un o ddilynwyr y Merthyr, rwy'n dyfalu dylech ddod o hyd iddi y rhan fwyaf o ostyngedig. Hefyd, nid yw'n gwrtais i siarad am rywun mewn iaith nad ydynt yn deall.

He then speaks in common so that everyone can join, "Well then friends, let us toast your success. I'm sure you'll want to be on the road before the day is too far upon us and the painting honoring your fallen comrades will hang in the Magistrates' Hall before you return." before raising a glass in the air to all of you.

Elvish;
    Seeing as she's a follower of the Martyr, I'm guessing you will find her most humble. Also, it's not polite to speak about someone in a language they do not understand.

edited April 2012
    "Please forgive my lack of manners Captain Harrowleaf and Lady Enza, I meant no offense. When one lives too long away from others, it is too easy to forget common graces. I am Toman Cincer," he bows deeply, "follower of Kelemvor and keeper of the night." Toman picks up a glass, and raises it as well.

Diplomacy: 1d20+4 22

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    Rolan gives a node of his head in apology before casting Mage Hand to pick up the glass in front of him and takes a drink from it, "Rolan Landrahil, practitioner of the arcane".

"Yes, I am afraid this lapse in manners is only the first of many things you will have to forgive Toman for. My name is Amos Dawnherald, and I am a Magistrate of Amaunator. It's an odd little arrangement we have in this group, but I'm sure that we can invite a follower of Ilmater to accompany us. We have already lost several companions, stay close and follow orders and the same fate will not befall you, I'm certain."

With that Amos raises his glass with the others.

All of you enjoy a hearty morning breakfast, of quantities and quality that you've likely never experienced. The pouches on each of your plate contain 75 gp each, except for Amos whose contains 25 gp and his newly enchanted Morningstar.

Captain Harrowleaf educates you a bit on what you're likely to encounter in the lands to the east, "As you may well know, Llorkh lies a modest 5 days east of here. There once was a well maintained dirt path leading all the way to the Grey Pass in the Greypeak mountains. Merchants traveled frequently between Loudwater and Llorkh, and less frequently out to Grey Pass. Llorkh was once a city about the size of Loudwater with a large militia. Quarrels between its rulers, the so called "old lords" weakened it, and it was overrun some time ago. Rumors from few who claimed to survive its fall were of giant snakes and snake-people at the head of some lizardman army. We have sent scouts, and by their word the town is in shambles, and no sign of its destroyers is present. Since its fall, it has been used as a haven for self styled bandit kings of all manner of race. I would give it wide berth, were I you. And if you encounter travelers on the road, no matter how goodly they seem, I would give them careful attention."

Curuvar takes a puff of his pipe and breaks in, "Xane's tower is located slightly north of Llorkh. Though not visible by the road, you will know when to turn by the presence of a queerly shaped rock by its side. I have sketched the rock here for you. Within an hours travel from the road you will see the remains of the tower visible atop a rocky hill."

Captain Harrowleaf begins again "I have requested that Curuvar provide you with two more scrolls that can communicate spoken word back to us here, one to let us know what you find at Greyskull Citadel, and the other should anything else you feel important come up. Do any of you have any more questions for us?"

(Curuvar hands over two more scrolls of sending, bringing your total to 3 -- Mint, there is a pouch with the 75 gold for Enza as well, Curuvar assumes if you're traveling with the group to Greyskull, you will also assist them in exploring the tower)

At the moment, you have your final opportunity to ask any follow up questions, and procure any gear/spend any money that you've accumulated before leaving for Llorkh. Llorkh as I said is a 5-day walk, and the Grey Pass is another 6 days beyond it.

• Mint JulepMint Julep Registered User regular
    With a guarded, but friendly expression, Enza nods to each in turn. If she heard or even understood the brief exchange between Rolan and Torman, she gives no indication. Nor does she seem interested in any speculation of a clashing between herself and Amos.

"Enza is fine please. I do not stand on ceremony nor titles. I find that oftentimes the fewest words used with deliberate intent are the most meaningful. I am not trained in the art of bullshit."

She looks away a minute, a brief expression of sadness and regret crossing her face, "While I know that it is ..unusual..for my kind to be in Ilmater's service, please learn to trust my sincerity through my deeds, not..preconceived notions."

Enza - Tiefling Paladin of Ilmater
    HP: 26/33 | Surge Value: 8 (8/11) | AP 0/1
    AC 22 | Fort 15 | Ref 14 | Will 15
    Insight: 18 | Perception: 13
    Condition:
    Marked Foes: None /COLOR]
    edited April 2012
    Rolan raises an eyebrow, "A holy warrior who uses words like 'bullshit'...why aren't you this fun Amos?"

Edit:
    Rolan, takes the scrolls "I'll be sure to send word as soon as we find anything". After talking a long pull on his drink, "I'd like to pick up a few supplies before we head out. It's always good to restock and be prepared"

What kind of things can we buy here?

Crimson Phantom on
    edited April 2012
    Toman lowers the glass slightly, then shrugs, "I can respect that," and downs the wine in one quick gulp. Picking up the sketch of the rock, he studies it for a while. Then, in responce to Rolan's comments, the young warlock nods, "I agree, I'm out of food, and there are a few other supplies I'd like to get." He looks up at Curuvar as he folds the paper and slides it into his pack, "I have an enchantment I would like transferred as well, but that discussion can wait until we return from our little trip."

Shopping
    Replenish Adventurers Kit- This kit includes a backpack, a bedroll, flint and steel, a belt pouch, two sunrods, ten days’ worth of trail rations, 50 feet of hempen rope, and a waterskin.
    Ghoul Candle- It functions as a normal candle, except that it provides no illumination for undead creatures.
    Item Compartment (vambraces)- cunningly crafted piece of apparel, you can conceal an object on yourself that weighs 1 pound or less. You gain a +2 bonus to Stealth checks against Perception checks to notice the item. (To conceal thieves tools)
    Signal Ammunition (5)- These crossbow bolts incorporate sunrod materials that ignite when the ammunition is fired, and are useful for coordinating maneuvers or signaling for help. (no official ruling on how long the light lasts or the radius of illumination it provides - but at about 4 times the cost of a single sunrod {for 5 ammunition}, I'm inclined to think about the same as a sunrod.)
    Writing Case- This leather case holds a blank journal, loose sheets of parchment, an ink stone and ink brushes, a blotter, quills, and penknives.

Other than that, no additional purchases (see sheet for full list of existing equip).
    I've already moved the Ironscar enchantment on my character sheet to the deathbone rod, but since I do not yet have the feat to capitalize on the deathbone implement, it has no game impact. So for RP purposes it can occur later.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
    Okay, Toman can find all of the things above @ the Loudwater General store.
    I agree with the sunrod duration/radius for the cost.

Loudwater General has anything available from the PHB (or phb2, 3 etc) that costs 30gp and under.

The Loudwater Smithy can be commissioned to craft any mundane weapon.

The Loudwater Smithy can be commissioned to craft any mundane armor.

The Loudwater Apothecary carries many types of herbs/spices/alchemy ingredients/beakers/vials/mortar/low level rituals/gimmicky "charms" and protections, etc.

Starra's Knives carries all types of small-bladed weapons, many with names and stories about them (who knows if they're true)

Garwan's Curiosities carries all kinds of curios and bizarre items.

There is a stable, and a temple of all faiths (all non-evil faiths that is)

edited April 2012
    I'm interested in what rituals there are, and what can be found in Garwan's shop

Edit:
    As well as the "charms" and protections

Crimson Phantom on