Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

1151618202199

Posts

  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    tide is pretty brainless too and focusing tide is a bad idea unless you have enough cc to guarantee he doesn't get his ult off

    wasting all your cc on tide just to have him ult anyway leads to a bad time.

    ignoring cm's aura means ignoring the reason to pick her. if you want a babysitter with two disables you're better off with someone like lion or even jakiro, imo. i know teams think her aura is worthless because of arcane boots, but that's retarded. you get cm's aura to make you win every lane with spell spam - before you have mana boots on the heroes who generally 'need' them.

    I'm not claiming to be a pro here, I'm just relaying information about what every pro support who picks CM has been doing for the past few weeks. I think I saw one game where they leveled her aura early, and they only put one point in it and everyone on their team was heavily reliant on mana.

    Assuming mana regen is in units of mana per second, and a 140 mana nuke
    Seconds to get an extra nuke: 280/140/93/70

    So from level 7 onwards CM's aura gives an extra 2 mana regen. For a 140 mana nuke thats an extra nuke every 70 sec, or approximately an extra nuke every 2 waves. Is that really that big a deal? I guess if you built a team around it? By the time CM is 7, if I'm midlane I've had my mana regen issues settled a long time ago.

  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    CM actually helps quite a lot for the heroes who can't otherwise spam spells. One additional stun on Sand King or slow on Tidehunter can frequently mean a kill.

  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I got into the dota 2 beta (yay) and the game is ... not what I had expected, visually. I won't get into that now, though.
    I do have a question about average game lengths. I'm quite busy working on papers and I like to take (probably too frequently) breaks and have a game of something for a while. I tend to play casual mode in hon because that's the absolute quickest - games are usually conceded one way or another at 15 minutes. But hon's down for like 8 hours.

    So I'm giving dota 2 a try. Whilst I do understand that normal mode is not casual mode or easy mode or whatever the equivalent to dota might be, and will naturally run longer. I've played 2 games so far over the last 2 days, and they both ran for about 50 minutes each, is that the norm? Despite what I said at the start, I actually don't mind the game, and the different heroes from Hon is interesting (I have fun with nature's prophet). Once I got used to it, it's general moba fun - but I don't think I could play it if every game ran for an hour.

    Also, the UI is so not user friendly, is there a concede option or is that for chumps? If my break is on a timer I tend to cut my losses if the game looks unrecoverable.

    Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    1) Games average probably around 40 minutes. Less if it's a stomp, and more if it's really back and forth. Generally speaking, I have experienced more stomps than hour-long games. If you're looking for a quick game to jump in and out of, this is absolutely not it.

    2) No concede. There's been a huge amount of discussion about whether or not that's a good thing, but there's no concede.

    Steam & GT
    Spoiler:
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    At lower skill levels the games take much longer because people don't know how to finish games. Every game i've played has been around 50-60 minutes because we're all noobs.

    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • SenshiSenshi Registered User
    If you play Easymode HoN, you will want to wait until -em comes to Dota2

    and concede will likely never be in the game, for good reason

    >Signatures
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I only play easymode in hon because it's very rare that games run for long periods of time. But to be honest it's probably the only time I can successfully carry :p
    It's a shame about the dota2 stuff because I have enjoyed playing it. Buuut, I just had an experience that cemented the fact that I probably won't have time to play it until the semester is over: I was nature's prophet and spent the whole game pushing at a rate that got us our first rax about 18 minutes in, and the second one at 25 minutes. Woo, quick win, right?

    Nope.

    My team proceeded to become so cocky they overreached and fed the enemy carries, our main carry disconnected. The game then lasted another half damned hour as the other team slowly mounted their successful comeback.
    Man.

    Looks like it's not for me riiiight now. I feel kind of bad about it, but I'll probably sneak the occasional game.

    Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • HozHoz Registered User regular
    Once you pick up on the nuances of playing weaver, he's such an awesome hero. I especially love the early game laning with him.

  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    Senshi wrote: »
    If you play Easymode HoN, you will want to wait until -em comes to Dota2

    and concede will likely never be in the game, for good reason

    I remember back a couple years ago when I played Dota 1 someone did research on game lengths of normal mode and easy mode and found that the difference in average game length between the two was completely negligible, something like a couple minutes shorter for easy mode.

    And I don't know if it's just the difference in MMR, but none of the arguments that people bring against having a concede vote were true at 1700+ in HoN.

  • Dac VinDac Vin Reimu Hakurei sat in her shrine because she was on the internet. Registered User regular
    A thing I realised: Sending Omniknight against Ursa is completely unfair to the Ursa in question. Basically the one time I could max his aura first and get away with it.

    Anyone got a good build for him? I know he's support so he can use the usual Mek/Pipe/mana boots, I've been enjoying Eul's on him too when playing agressive, Orb of Venom can get hilarious when paired with his aura. Anything else is good on him?

    camo_sig.png
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    The first time my kills exceed my deaths and my first mega kill in the same round.

    I friggin' love playing Lich.

  • CreamstoutCreamstout Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Anyone got a good build for him? I know he's support so he can use the usual Mek/Pipe/mana boots, I've been enjoying Eul's on him too when playing agressive, Orb of Venom can get hilarious when paired with his aura. Anything else is good on him?

    Those items sound pretty good. If I'm going against a CC (crowd control) heavy lineup, I'll get a BKB on him so I can protect myself as well as another. If they lock Omni down in a teamfight, the teams chance of winning is greatly reduced. I also like Shiva's Guard or Assault Cuirass if the game goes late, depending on the opposing team's lineup.

    Hearthstone:Pub#1592
  • HozHoz Registered User regular
  • Dac VinDac Vin Reimu Hakurei sat in her shrine because she was on the internet. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is this a response to my Omniknight replay you watched I did not insinuate I was putting big plays the Ursa was just not good

    Dac Vin on
    camo_sig.png
  • HozHoz Registered User regular
    Just a video that deserves to be seen.

  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Morblitz wrote: »
    I only play easymode in hon because it's very rare that games run for long periods of time. But to be honest it's probably the only time I can successfully carry :p
    It's a shame about the dota2 stuff because I have enjoyed playing it. Buuut, I just had an experience that cemented the fact that I probably won't have time to play it until the semester is over: I was nature's prophet and spent the whole game pushing at a rate that got us our first rax about 18 minutes in, and the second one at 25 minutes. Woo, quick win, right?

    Nope.

    My team proceeded to become so cocky they overreached and fed the enemy carries, our main carry disconnected. The game then lasted another half damned hour as the other team slowly mounted their successful comeback.
    Man.

    Looks like it's not for me riiiight now. I feel kind of bad about it, but I'll probably sneak the occasional game.

    Happens all the time in noob games, as someone already said, most new players don't know how to finish games (myself in included as evidenced by my Veno play in the at 75 min replay.) Or, they get the bloodlust and solo roam the map looking to pad their kill score, get caught, and end up giving losing teams a fresh chance.

    Anyway, if you're not feeling the game, don't play it. It's not like we don't have plenty of options with Mobas at present. You can always play LoL's Dominion map if you want 20 minute games. And it's free.

    Dark_Side on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    Yeah, LoL Dominion is actually a pretty fun, frenetic 20 minute MOBA experience. If 20 minutes is all you have and you just want some MOBA-style fun, Dominion is a good choice.

    I agree on the noobs make games last longer point too. I haven't had a game of Dota 2 yet last less then 45 minutes.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh
  • Dac VinDac Vin Reimu Hakurei sat in her shrine because she was on the internet. Registered User regular
    Something about dying: Who gets the gold when you die to creeps/towers and no one has an assist on you? The wiki tells about how the gold is distributed when there's one/many assists, but nothing when there's no one.

    For context: a first blood attempt ended with our target dead (with our mid getting said first blood) and me tanking the tower and creeps and dying as a result, with no enemies getting an assist.

    camo_sig.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    I guess the gold vanishes?

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh
  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I guess the gold vanishes?

    Split evenly between the opposing team would be my guess.

    C2hmw6F.png
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    A thing I realised: Sending Omniknight against Ursa is completely unfair to the Ursa in question. Basically the one time I could max his aura first and get away with it.

    Anyone got a good build for him? I know he's support so he can use the usual Mek/Pipe/mana boots, I've been enjoying Eul's on him too when playing agressive, Orb of Venom can get hilarious when paired with his aura. Anything else is good on him?

    You're dead on.

    Mana boots/Mek is your core. After that: tablet of command/pipe/Euls/scythe of vyse.

    Speaking of Omni I want Abaddon now.

    valiance on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    "OH MY GOD, I KEEP DYING. FUCK THIS GAME. I LEARNED LOL IN 3 MINUTES THIS GAME IS BULLSHIT"

    Then they left. Which caused more people to leave. Which caused me to be 1v5 bots in matchmaking. Yay. Results? 0-19-0 juggernaut, 0-9-0 Windrunner, 0-7-0 Razor, and my 2-8-2 spectre. :( The last guy to leave actually somewhat knew how to play, but these guys who assume its exactly like lol and start with 3 pots, no branches, and then get angry they die repeatedly really need to figure out that just because they're both the same genre, the games are vastly different. Christ.

    CorriganX on
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think SYDTKO (Tom from Curse's LoL team) had the best comment about Dota 2 v. LoL I've heard so far:

    "LoL is easier to pick up. LoL is easier to master. This does not make LoL easy."

    The first parts are important for people switching over. Dota is just harder to play at first, it's much less forgiving. You can't jump in to a 1v3 on most characters and easily get away once you realize it was a bad idea.

    That said, if you are a new Dota 2 player switching over...learn about the S key, it's your friend.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh
  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    A thing I realised: Sending Omniknight against Ursa is completely unfair to the Ursa in question. Basically the one time I could max his aura first and get away with it.

    Anyone got a good build for him? I know he's support so he can use the usual Mek/Pipe/mana boots, I've been enjoying Eul's on him too when playing agressive, Orb of Venom can get hilarious when paired with his aura. Anything else is good on him?

    You're dead on.

    Mana boots/Mek is your core. After that: force staff/pipe/Euls/scythe of vyse.

    Speaking of Omni I want Abaddon now.

    fixed a HoN item. Also need to emphasize here, do NOT make mek and pipe. They should be on different heroes. Otherwise, if you get focused and die, your team loses both items. Also, Omni won't be getting nearly this much farm. I would say mana boots/mek/force staff/scythe of vyse is a fairly realistic build for a long game, probably won't ever finish the scythe.

    C2hmw6F.png
  • CreamstoutCreamstout Registered User regular
    Dota Test Notes up

    Looks like we'll be getting Random Draft soon in the normal beta, I can't freak'n wait.

    Hearthstone:Pub#1592
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Hahahah

    "gyrocopter_gyro_ally_01" "gyrocopter: Holy shit, it's Viper!"

    steam_sig.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Hahahah

    "gyrocopter_gyro_ally_01" "gyrocopter: Holy shit, it's Viper!"

    :lol: Fantastic.

  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    It was good enough to make it into 2 top 10s!

    Hopefully it works for everyone this time.

    (Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated November 18th. I'd rather fight monsters than demons
    stream
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
  • GnomocideGnomocide Registered User regular
    Back in March, Valve wrote this on the blog: "In addition, we’ll be giving the most active Dota 2 players some more copies to gift to friends. This will be done on a regional basis based on available capacity, starting with US West."

    I'm European, and I've yet to receive any extra invites. Can anyone confirm/deny if the extra invites for EU have been sent, so I know if I just didn't get any, or if they'll come at a later time? Thanks in advance!

  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    hmm so now I'm torn between RD and AP.

  • Dac VinDac Vin Reimu Hakurei sat in her shrine because she was on the internet. Registered User regular
    Too silent, come watch some reverse draft insanity happening right now.

    (it got Clinkz and Sniper pick.)

    camo_sig.png
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    A thing I realised: Sending Omniknight against Ursa is completely unfair to the Ursa in question. Basically the one time I could max his aura first and get away with it.

    Anyone got a good build for him? I know he's support so he can use the usual Mek/Pipe/mana boots, I've been enjoying Eul's on him too when playing agressive, Orb of Venom can get hilarious when paired with his aura. Anything else is good on him?

    You're dead on.

    Mana boots/Mek is your core. After that: force staff/pipe/Euls/scythe of vyse.

    Speaking of Omni I want Abaddon now.

    fixed a HoN item. Also need to emphasize here, do NOT make mek and pipe. They should be on different heroes. Otherwise, if you get focused and die, your team loses both items. Also, Omni won't be getting nearly this much farm. I would say mana boots/mek/force staff/scythe of vyse is a fairly realistic build for a long game, probably won't ever finish the scythe.

    good points, thanks!

  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Too silent, come watch some reverse draft insanity happening right now.

    (it got Clinkz and Sniper pick.)

    The game on this stream right now is bonkers. So much back and forth.

    76288.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin Reimu Hakurei sat in her shrine because she was on the internet. Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ that Spirit Breaker ult/Morphling ult combo what happened

    camo_sig.png
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Jesus Christ that Spirit Breaker ult/Morphling ult combo what happened

    I know right. Complexity had some serious plays earlier on but once morph started to snowball out of control they couldn't put shit together anymore. The whole game morph/sb matchups were the tops.

    76288.png
  • HozHoz Registered User regular
    20 mins, doesn't even have boots. Oh Toby.

  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hoz wrote: »
    20 mins, doesn't even have boots. Oh Toby.

    Yep, 0/13/4 with 9/0 CS at 26:00. WOW.

    EDIT: Make that 0/14/4

    Finished the game with 0/18/7 and 13 cs. lolz

    fsmith1 on
    76288.png
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Biosys on
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Ugh last 3 games have been terrible for me. First game as Alchemist I go 2-10 but still manage to pull through and win.. except it doesn't register the win for me, not sure if we had an early leaver or what. Third game I get a BSOD at the beginning of the match, and by the time I log in It's been barely over 5 minutes so I get my first abandon out of it. Not too happy about that.

Sign In or Register to comment.