As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Alison Brie has a band now. The other members are Cyrina Fiallo (who played the friend of Britta's "lesbian" friend in "Early 21st Century Romanticism") and Julianna Guill (who played the head cheerleader in "Fistful of Paintballs", and who you shouldn't Google Image Search at work).

The link has a brief video clip of them covering Childish Gambino.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    There's now another (older) angry Chevy voicemail out there. I'm not going to link to it, but I'm mentioning it because it's from March 2011, and it's Chevy making exactly the same complaints as the most recent interview/situation - the show is too much of a mediocre sitcom, it's not his kind of comedy, all of his stuff (which is what the people want and what is actually funny) is being edited out to focus on shit people don't care about, like story/plot and Jeff/Britta's relationship, etc. and he even makes a similar "if the show comes back, I won't be there" statement.

The point being, if you're worried that this new incident was some sort of tipping point, no, this has been going on since at least before S3, and yet, Chevy came back.

If people didn't think that Chevy has no idea what the fuck he's talking about before this voicemail, they sure as hell should now.

The man decries Community's strongest feature, its character development, as completely pointless. Like, seriously?

What a jackass.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    There's now another (older) angry Chevy voicemail out there. I'm not going to link to it, but I'm mentioning it because it's from March 2011, and it's Chevy making exactly the same complaints as the most recent interview/situation - the show is too much of a mediocre sitcom, it's not his kind of comedy, all of his stuff (which is what the people want and what is actually funny) is being edited out to focus on shit people don't care about, like story/plot and Jeff/Britta's relationship, etc. and he even makes a similar "if the show comes back, I won't be there" statement.

The point being, if you're worried that this new incident was some sort of tipping point, no, this has been going on since at least before S3, and yet, Chevy came back.

If people didn't think that Chevy has no idea what the fuck he's talking about before this voicemail, they sure as hell should now.

The man decries Community's strongest feature, its character development, as completely pointless. Like, seriously?

What a jackass.

So how'd this voice mail get out?

I have a guess.

But, let's not get bogged down in this again, who gives a shit about their personal lives so long as the show keeps chugging along?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Here is a little article on Gawker about why Community is the most popular show on the internet:

gawker.com/5900835/why-community-is-the-most-popular-show-on-the-internet

Interesting, it sums up a lot of the reasons why I like Community.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    As mentioned in the article: it's the last day of Hulu's Best in Show. Community and Walking Dead have pretty much been switching between being lead the entire week, so go vote if you haven't.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Kipling's article also informed me that Community won TV Guide's Fan Favorite Comedy and Ensemble (didn't they win something from TV guide last year as well?), so yay!

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    As mentioned in the article: it's the last day of Hulu's Best in Show. Community and Walking Dead have pretty much been switching between being lead the entire week, so go vote if you haven't.

Community wins!

This was the same poll where, a couple years ago, they were winning by like 15% but then got eliminated because they had a TV critic judge curating the whole thing and his vote awards 20%, right?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    People always talk about how shows like Community are popular critically but wonder why they don't get the ratings of something like The Big Bang Theory. It's not like this is a new thing. It's the same reason Arrested Development didn't last, despite it being one of the most fantastic comedies to ever grace television. The problem is, and it sounds arrogant but is simply true, most people are not that bright. It's fine, not everybody is, but shows like AD and Community are made by people who are willing to make references and put in jokes that some people simply won't get. Pop culture stuff, as well as just jokes that are basically only for a niche of people. The creators of these shows care more about making something for people like them than pandering to the target demo to get syndicated eventually.

• Options
    Lux wrote: »

Community wins!

This was the same poll where, a couple years ago, they were winning by like 15% but then got eliminated because they had a TV critic judge curating the whole thing and his vote awards 20%, right?

The 1st year, they gave Ken Tucker a ridiculous 25% weight to his vote, and it pretty much became "Ken Tucker's Best in Show". Community lost because his vote overturned something like a 20% lead over The Simpsons.

The 2nd year, it was Alan Sepinwall, and he got a 5% weight, which only ended up changing one match-up in popular vote, if I remember correctly.

This year, Alan Sepinwall's position was just "ceremonial", and he just indicated which he picked, with no weight to his vote.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    The problem is, and it sounds arrogant but is simply true, most people are not that bright.

This is an incredibly goosey criticism. Community isn't for everyone. That doesn't make them stupid for not liking it. You don't need a high IQ to enjoy Community. If someone doesn't enjoy the pillow fort episode, it's not because they were too stupid to understand the concept of pillow fighting. It simply isn't their cup of tea. And that's fine.

Now, you may have a point that Community relies on a lot of pop culture references, and AD has a lot of internal references. But that's not a matter of intelligence. That's a matter of most people being too busy to care.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    first off, no one doesn't enjoy the pillow fort episode.

that's all.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Let's pretend this post right here signifies several pages worth of derailing "Community vs BBT" posts with everybody restating exactly the same things on both sides that come up every time BBT is mentioned.

Please? Pretty please? Especially since there's a new episode on tonight that I'd like to read posts about that will otherwise be smothered by this.

It's the equivalent of the "sex and nudity" posts in The Game of Thrones thread. They just go round and round restating the same things over and over in increasingly angry fashion and squash discussion about anything else.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    For some reason, as much as I love Gillian Jacobs, Donald Glover and Joel Mchale. I really dislike Danny Pudi and Allison Brie in everything they do outside of community. Like any time I see Danny Pudi in something outside of community, even if that something is good, even if his role in that something is good, I kind of want to punch him in the face. Maybe he just has a punchable face?

And Allison Brie is probably just an unfortunately culture backlash. She gets so much "love" from the internet that I cant help but dislike her.

But yeah, any short video outside of community, or cast apparence on the soup or something else, I dislike these two.

I wish I wasn't this way, but I am. Meanwhile I'll eat up any Mchale/Glover stuff. And Gillian seems so...un-natural when trying to be funny outside of a script that its endearing.

Luckily I love them both in Community, so that's all that matters.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I get the Brie backlash to the massive Internet love, though I don't personally have a problem with her. She's sorta in danger of following the Kristen Bell arc of "Internet loved star of low-rated cultishly adored show" to "star of mediocre to bad romantic comedies and horror movies where mainstream audiences fail to see what the fuss is about" to "squeaking by on so-so received cable show with most of her geek cred cashed out".

I don't think I've seen Danny in anything outside of Community other than Community-related interviews and Soup cameos.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I get the Brie backlash to the massive Internet love, though I don't personally have a problem with her. She's sorta in danger of following the Kristen Bell arc of "Internet loved star of low-rated cultishly adored show" to "star of mediocre to bad romantic comedies and horror movies where mainstream audiences fail to see what the fuss is about" to "squeaking by on so-so received cable show with most of her geek cred cashed out".

I don't think I've seen Danny in anything outside of Community other than Community-related interviews and Soup cameos.

Well, Alison Brie's also in Mad Men. Don't think Kristen Bell had anything like that on her resume prior to Veronica Mars.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    That Spaced clip made me realize:

Simon Pegg needs to make an appearance on Community pronto.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Kristen had Deadwood just before Veronica Mars. That's not that close to an equivalent to Alison on Mad Men, since Kristen was only on for 2 or 3 episodes, but it seemed to show she was capable of something more and being involved in more interesting projects at one point.

It's still early enough in her career that I'm not saying she's definitely going to go down that path. I'm just hoping that Alison takes a bit more care in picking interesting work, rather than going for easy paychecks once Community ends.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Kristen Bell's segments on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson are enough for me to still love her.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Yeah, she's fantastic on Craig Ferguson. I just wish her movie/TV work was more impressive than it turned out to be.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    If you tweet about community with the tag #BrittaLovesCarnies in the next 4 minutes you may win a "time hoodie" per joel mchale.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The problem is, and it sounds arrogant but is simply true, most people are not that bright.

This is an incredibly goosey criticism. Community isn't for everyone. That doesn't make them stupid for not liking it. You don't need a high IQ to enjoy Community. If someone doesn't enjoy the pillow fort episode, it's not because they were too stupid to understand the concept of pillow fighting. It simply isn't their cup of tea. And that's fine.

Now, you may have a point that Community relies on a lot of pop culture references, and AD has a lot of internal references. But that's not a matter of intelligence. That's a matter of most people being too busy to care.

I was talking more about Arrested Development, and I'm sorry, but yes, there are many jokes in AD that will be totally missed by the average person, and not because they're a pop culture reference. The lack of a laugh track/studio audience and the writing of some of the jokes just meant many people just wouldn't get it. I've tried to show that show to people before and watched them just have glazed eyes at some jokes that are immediately hilarious to myself and most people I know.

Community is more about the pop culture references and stuff, but the same premise applies to a certain extent. I like Big Bang Theory because sometimes it makes me laugh, but the truth is, there are many people watching that show giving it ratings that just cackle madly every time they hear the studio audience coming in, and wouldn't like a show like Community at all. Different strokes. My point was just a show like Community will never be as popular as one that has writing that is just aiming to please the biggest number of people with obvious laugh points.

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think Community has an absolute ton of internal references, on par with Arrested Development in that regard, actually. To say that it's 'more about pop culture references' is maybe a little too reductive and doesn't nearly do the show justice.

I mean, they've referenced Daybreak in like half a dozen episodes at this point. The Dean's myriad of entrances are a continuing joke. Jeff's exchanges with Leonard (which they've even subverted as part of Jeff's storyline in a recent episode.) Annie's Boobs. Troy and Abed in the Morning. Six seasons and a movie. It goes on and on and on.

Shit, now that I'm thinking about it, Community may have more of this type of thing than even AD. (Which isn't to say one is better than the other, it's merely a comment on the characterization of the humor in the shows.)

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think Community has an absolute ton of internal references, on par with Arrested Development in that regard, actually. To say that it's 'more about pop culture references' is maybe a little too reductive and doesn't nearly do the show justice.

I mean, they've referenced Daybreak in like half a dozen episodes at this point. The Dean's myriad of entrances are a continuing joke. Jeff's exchanges with Leonard (which they've even subverted as part of Jeff's storyline in a recent episode.) Annie's Boobs. Troy and Abed in the Morning. Six seasons and a movie. It goes on and on and on.

Shit, now that I'm thinking about it, Community may have more of this type of thing than even AD. (Which isn't to say one is better than the other, it's merely a comment on the characterization of the humor in the shows.)

All sitcoms have internal references. The problem with AD is that by the third season a lot of the jokes were just references to the last three years, Community has avoided that trap.

But every show has it's NORM! or How You Doin'? or DAMN IT, WORF!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    For some reason, as much as I love Gillian Jacobs, Donald Glover and Joel Mchale. I really dislike Danny Pudi and Allison Brie in everything they do outside of community. Like any time I see Danny Pudi in something outside of community, even if that something is good, even if his role in that something is good, I kind of want to punch him in the face. Maybe he just has a punchable face?

He had one absolutely random hysterical line in the otherwise forgettable Road Trip sequel.
    "I had no idea my father would be overthrown by a group of 12 unarmed peasants and a wizard. "
    That's just community enough to make my wife and i fall into bouts of laughter because it comes out of nowhere.

• Options

All sitcoms have internal references. The problem with AD is that by the third season a lot of the jokes were just references to the last three years, Community has avoided that trap.

I think catchphrases are different than internal references. Watching the glorious culmination of the chicken impressions in Arrested Development is a heck of a lot different (and better) than Jerry Seinfeld cursing Newman's name and the show stopping for five minutes of applause.

• Options
    If they go on long enough catch-phrases can morph into self-referential humor. E.g. Jerry's mom going "Hello, Newman" wouldn't be nearly as funny if we didn't already know that's what Jerry says.

• Options

I think catchphrases are different than internal references. Watching the glorious culmination of the chicken impressions in Arrested Development is a heck of a lot different (and better) than Jerry Seinfeld cursing Newman's name and the show stopping for five minutes of applause.

well that's what I mean. Annie's Boobs, Britta being the worst, interchangable words, six seasons and a movie, all catchphrases.

I mean, arguably the monkey isn't, but idk

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

well that's what I mean. Annie's Boobs, Britta being the worst, interchangable words, six seasons and a movie, all catchphrases.

I mean, arguably the monkey isn't, but idk

Britta being the worst isn't a catchphrase, because they've call her that in a different way nearly every time it comes up. Annie's Boobs certainly isn't. Neither is basically anything I mentioned (with the exception of maybe 'Six seasons and a movie', which has been used verbatim at least a few times, but is at least a little better than your average catchphrase because it has some meta-connotation).

I don't think you know what a catchphrase is.

• Options
    Catchphrases in Community are... umm...

Abed saying "cool. Coolcoolcool."
    Annie saying "ah!" in an offended tone.
    Shirley saying "Oh, that's nice!"
    Britta says "Britta for the win!" a lot, not sure if it's a catchphrase though.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Most forced deaning entrance yet?

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Alison Brie has a band now. The other members are Cyrina Fiallo (who played the friend of Britta's "lesbian" friend in "Early 21st Century Romanticism") and Julianna Guill (who played the head cheerleader in "Fistful of Paintballs", and who you shouldn't Google Image Search at work).

The link has a brief video clip of them covering Childish Gambino.

Is my favorite band now.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Holy shitmonkeys.

That episode was amazing. That would've been an entire season of any other show on network tv.

It was so much of an experience that I just kind of want to stop watching TV for the night.

Edit: Also, for those who couldn't quite place Blade
    Creepy Joe from the Sewage department on Parks & Rec!

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    love rectangle for reals, yo

edit: so that's how Abed goes evil, way to go Jeff.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The Dean panicking with his subtle master plan at the end was the best joke I have ever seen.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I loved this episode so much.
    Troy being sad after Britta's reaction to the text he sent was heart wrenching, but then her looking at the text and then looking at Troy made me happy.

Plus everything else was awesome. And I really want to watch Blade.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I love how Abed's character is turning from
    whimsical and quirky detachment to a realistic, asperger's like inability to even register the things happening around him. It's a darkness, and it was played as such the last couple weeks, but in this episode it was just subtle and just bobbing at the surface. It was really troubling, and the way that Troy is falling apart, and all the other characters are going through so much, I was really afraid for all of them for the entire episode.

And I still am.

It's a very strange way to connect with a sitcom. Normally the downs are really false feeling or are more connected to the fictional world of the show, while the ups are just super greeting card-y and overly pleasing. I love Parks and Rec, but Leslie's problems are her problems, and her successes make me tingle but I can't connect to them at all.

Community feels like I'm actually watching my friends drift apart.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I like Big Bang Theory because sometimes it makes me laugh, but the truth is, there are many people watching that show giving it ratings that just cackle madly every time they hear the studio audience coming in, and wouldn't like a show like Community at all.

Studio audience has a place on TV, but it's a different feel. Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZq5meZRMgY