Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[MISC] PAX Community Wiki Project

zerzhulzerzhul Old Generalin the treesRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
edited September 2012 in Archives
Welcome to the PAX Community Wiki Project!

So as some have realized via targeted topic wikis in the past, the forums are not a good method to archive or detail a significant information about PAX. On-topic threads can cover a lot of things but inevitably information gets lost as time moves on. This has prompted a group of folks (including some that worked on the Hitchhiker's Guide to PAX East wiki) to create a general community wiki project to house collective PAX knowledge.

One or two general PAX wikis have been attempted in the past. To combat potential failure, this time around participation has been gained from a much wider group of people pre-launch including (but not limited to) a majority of community event leaders (such as folks from the PPL, Cookie Brigade, East Train Alliance, etc). Most of the work thus far has been revolving around community events and creation of boilerplate templates for various categories of articles.

It is now time to open this up to the PAX Forum community at large for absorbing and creating content.

When reading the wiki, please keep in mind that there a huge wealth of content yet. We've tried to get a lot of content pre-launch, but there are only so many hours in the day. If there's an absence of a page that you think should be there, and you want to write it, use the application to sign up for an account and create it.

When writing for the wiki, use an available boilerplate so that common article types stay stylistically similar. If there's a boilerplate category that doesn't exist yet, create a stub for it from the default if you know how, and if you don't, ask. Try to be as informative as possible without being too subjective. Perfect objectivity isn't expected, but it should be a goal of every article to be a knowledge base and not a guide. Obviously all the articles are slanted in a PAX perspective. A decent way to think of this is: is this an "about" article? or a "how-to" article?. Try to stick to "about" as much as possible.

If you want to contribute to the PAX Community Wiki Project, read the front page of the wiki for the application link.

Much of the current content is focused towards PAX East since it is the upcoming PAX. However, if your expertise lends towards PAX Prime, feel free to start on those areas as well.

If you have any technical problems with the wiki, contact me (@Zerzhul) or Moe Fwacky via PM. If certain issues become common, I'll post them in one of the first few posts in a FAQ section, and I'll likely add them to a wiki page.

The global MediaWiki user's guide resides here.

There exists a Sandbox page with which to try out things before posting them to the wiki.

zerzhul on

• zerzhulzerzhul Old General in the treesRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    I just want to give a strong kudos to Zerzhul for this project. It started as a twinkle in the eye's of moe and I but we could never really get it off the ground. Zerzhul came in and did a HUGE amount of work and made this wiki a reality.

So thank you Zerzhul :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    How zerzhul. You are a machine of awesome.

<@zerzhul>; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul>; you win at twdt
  • FrugusFrugus Podcaster Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the contributions Zerzhul!

I've been working on an extended version for Hotels for a few days and it's about to be completed. It has subjective bits in it so I will see about converting it for this forum. It's a bit extensive but it's stuff I keep repeating to people who want to come to any convention.

I also have a write up for the old wiki page on the Hitchhicker's for the original "survival guide / stuff I wish I had known". I'll send post it up as soon I've updated it with what I learned from last year.

Club PA Supporter
    PAX East Tickets [ x ] ~ Hotel Booked [ x ] ~ Vacation Booked [ x ]
    [RSS Feed] Eastward Bound to Boston ~ Community Podcast on PAX East
    Steam ~ Twitter ~ Google+
  • MrArcysMrArcys Registered User regular
    I've been working gathering all the FAQ data into a single word document. It's seperated into 'Before PAX', 'During PAX', and 'After PAX'. The idea is to take that and make a step-by-step guide on the wiki.

I'll upload it to Google Docs later tonight so people can help me work on it if they want.

PAX East 2013: [ ] Badge // [X] Hotel // [ ] Travel // [ ] Time Off
    Twitter: @MrArcys
    Frugus wrote:
    Thanks for all the contributions Zerzhul!

I've been working on an extended version for Hotels for a few days and it's about to be completed. It has subjective bits in it so I will see about converting it for this forum. It's a bit extensive but it's stuff I keep repeating to people who want to come to any convention.

I also have a write up for the old wiki page on the Hitchhicker's for the original "survival guide / stuff I wish I had known". I'll send post it up as soon I've updated it with what I learned from last year.

My faq has become a bloated monster that demands trimming. Still working on it.

Club PA Supporter
    edited December 2011
    And I'm still working on it, though at this point I'm starting to wonder if the FAQ itself is going to be worth the trouble.

I think I would be much more inspired if I knew what was needed. Just looking at the Wiki you can spot some holes but you don't know who is working on what. It would be nice if there was a "to do list" where people could check things off, etc.

Frugus on
    Club PA Supporter
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm... something is awry.

This is supposed to look like this.

*Wïk: Who knew whitespace was so important. <facepalm>

*Also wïk: Now it won't let me edit below the first row of the table. <ffffffff->

MrArcys on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General in the treesRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    edited December 2011
    MrArcys wrote:
    Hmmm... something is awry.

This is supposed to look like this.

*Wïk: Who knew whitespace was so important. <facepalm>

*Also wïk: Now it won't let me edit below the first row of the table. <ffffffff->

hold that thought

zerzhul on
    ok, template dialog editor turned off. Not sure how that got turned back on, you should be good now.

Moe Fwacky wrote:

Thanks Moe. This is just what I was looking for.

It looks like some of these topics need to wait until we get the official information (concerts for instance). Either that or we can start writing about what we know and add "more to come", but I don't know what the stance would be on putting up a bunch of pages that are marked "under construction".

Club PA Supporter
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Topics like that can always stand to have historical data in them.

sig-500x65.jpg
    edited December 2011
    What do y'all think about using sub-pages to separate article information in relation to the different PAXes? I imagine that having information for both on one page would make it rather unruley.

For example:
    Hotels/PAX East
    Hotels/PAX Prime

*EDIT*
    And if a list of panels is going to be maintained, having a structure might help:
    Panels/Prime/2011
    Panels/Prime/2010
    Panels/East/2011
    Panels/East/2010

MrArcys on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Registered User regular
    Excellent work on the Forum Badges, I'm very humbled at how you treated and described them :D

The only thing that is missing is the International Travellers Guide that I prepare for every PAX. They are unique to both Prime and East, but they do share common information. As you planning to add it to the Wiki or do you want me to install it?

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    kropotkin wrote:
    Excellent work on the Forum Badges, I'm very humbled at how you treated and described them :D

The only thing that is missing is the International Travellers Guide that I prepare for every PAX. They are unique to both Prime and East, but they do share common information. As you planning to add it to the Wiki or do you want me to install it?

It would be fantastic if you could write that up Kropotkin! :D

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited December 2011
    kropotkin wrote:

I think adding that would be very helpful, keeping in mind the stylistic goals of information before direction :)

Glad you like the forum badge article. It was a bitch to find them all, haha (until I figured out where they were all stored).

zerzhul on
    edited January 2012
    I keep saying I want to contribute to projects and all that but I now find myself with little to no (precious) free time. I should stop making claims that I can help out at this point with Pax being so close. I'm sorry. I'm lucky enough to attend as a happy fan this year :(

I still want/hope to do something but if it happens it will be when I get a lot free time and I don't knownid that will happen.

I'm very sorry folks. Please don't hate me :(

Edit : sorry for the horrid spelling stupid iPhone!

Frugus on
    Club PA Supporter
    edited February 2012
    I presume the Hotel FAQ I did could be of use?

EDIT: Sorry for the double post

Link. Just not sure it's something you would want on it. If so I can go ahead and place it myself.

Frugus on
    Club PA Supporter
    Frugus wrote:
    I presume the Hotel FAQ I did could be of use?

EDIT: Sorry for the double post

Link. Just not sure it's something you would want on it. If so I can go ahead and place it myself.

MrArcys has been heading up the hotel section so far. Maybe see how it will fit in with his stuff? I'm sure there's a place for it, it's good information.

Updates!
    TimeCruiserMike has created the page for the west coast train trip: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/West_Coast_Train_Trip

The PAX East page has been updated with current information: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/PAX_East

Based on a suggestion by MrArcys, an index page with pertinent info regarding Attending PAX East has been created and will be linked to from the main entry page: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Attending_PAX_East

The community event category page has become an index page as well, for separation of community events into their expected timeframes: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Category:Community_Events

Also, added BYOC (finally) http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/BYOC taking information from the LanFest website and the BYOC FAQ thread.

I merged the changes and added the table code. If somebody wants to rewrite the blurb at the top I'd be grateful. I wrote it when I was drunk and it sounds horrid.

• TangoTango Registered User
    I just did a little editing and tidying up, mainly of the Enforcer page, which I rewrote somewhat. I'll be lurking, making grammatical, stylistic and POV-removing tweaks to pages here and there ;)

Tango wrote:
    I just did a little editing and tidying up, mainly of the Enforcer page, which I rewrote somewhat. I'll be lurking, making grammatical, stylistic and POV-removing tweaks to pages here and there ;)

Thanks for doing that. It was just place holder text until I got around to writing something that didn't sound like a 5th grader wrote it.

• ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Just updated the Cookie Brigade's page. Doing some research for the updates I found that the brigade has raised almost 45K since 2007 for Child's Play, way more then the 30-36 I think most of us thought.

I do have to say the wiki editor you have installed really doesn't play nice with Chrome at all. Even with plain text it was removing any hard returns when previewing.

Edit to say: This does not include the desert bus money or any of the change that went uncounted.

ransim on
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Hotel [X] Travel Approved [X] BYOC Pass [ ] 3-day PAX pass [X]
    East Buttoneering? - Buttons in progress...
    brigadebanner2013.png
    It's actually the same editor that wikipedia uses, just /less/ customized. It doesn't like copy-paste.

• ransimransim Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It's actually the same editor that wikipedia uses, just /less/ customized. It doesn't like copy-paste.

Interestingly enough anytime I tried to save/preview as well it was downloading gzipped copies of the javascript files. Maybe its a content-type issue on the server?

PAX East 2014 Checklist: Hotel [X] Travel Approved [X] BYOC Pass [ ] 3-day PAX pass [X]
    East Buttoneering? - Buttons in progress...
    brigadebanner2013.png
    ransim wrote: »

Interestingly enough anytime I tried to save/preview as well it was downloading gzipped copies of the javascript files. Maybe its a content-type issue on the server?

I've never seen that happen. Maybe an interaction with some chrome extension you are using? PM me details so we can keep it out of this thread.

Now that PAX East is over and still fresh on everyone's mind, what better way to keep the PAX Spirit alive than to help work on the wiki? Help expand PAX East specific articles, or work on as of yet unmade articles for certain departments at PAX! Maybe work on community event pages? The possibilities are endless!

• SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Registered User regular
    Now that PAX East is over and still fresh on everyone's mind, what better way to keep the PAX Spirit alive than to help work on the wiki? Help expand PAX East specific articles, or work on as of yet unmade articles for certain departments at PAX! Maybe work on community event pages? The possibilities are endless!

Here is my crack at how I would improve the community wiki:

* I would like categories or groups of information to be showcased from the main wiki page. Some quick thoughts are events, travelling info and preparation tips.
    * A way for pages to show how they are related to each other. Like how parties are related to events and vendors, or some of the events available when preparing for PAX.
    * Complete set of information. (This is long, please bear with me.) It seems there was an intentional effort to not duplicate information in other places. Wikipedia takes the information that is relevant and sources it. I would like to see the PAX community wiki stay focused on providing information re: PAX and show the source when possible, so that we can follow it if we need to. I would like to see the wiki be a fairly comprehensive source of information for PAX, going beyond some of the community effort and being a place we can go for most of what we need to look up. I'll still be on the forums, but due to the volume of data being posted, missed some information when I wasn't on it every day. I'm a bit obsessive about planning my PAX trips, and having something to refer to for the core details would be very helpful for me.

Currently playing Fire Emblem, Paper Mario Sticker Star and Pokemon White.

Here is my crack at how I would improve the community wiki:

* I would like categories or groups of information to be showcased from the main wiki page. Some quick thoughts are events, travelling info and preparation tips.
    * A way for pages to show how they are related to each other. Like how parties are related to events and vendors, or some of the events available when preparing for PAX.
    * Complete set of information. (This is long, please bear with me.) It seems there was an intentional effort to not duplicate information in other places. Wikipedia takes the information that is relevant and sources it. I would like to see the PAX community wiki stay focused on providing information re: PAX and show the source when possible, so that we can follow it if we need to. I would like to see the wiki be a fairly comprehensive source of information for PAX, going beyond some of the community effort and being a place we can go for most of what we need to look up. I'll still be on the forums, but due to the volume of data being posted, missed some information when I wasn't on it every day. I'm a bit obsessive about planning my PAX trips, and having something to refer to for the core details would be very helpful for me.

As to your first point, we did have the "Attending PAX East" index link right on the front (http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Attending_PAX_East)

As to the second, We would have to have pages about parties and events and vendors before any of that linking can be done and mean anything... that leads me into the next section:

As to the rest, remember this is an incredibly /young/ wiki and just doesn't have all the information you're talking about yet :) I'd love to have the wiki be a comprehensive source of information for PAX, and I think that's been the intent all along. It requires manpower to produce though, hence me asking for people to work on it. Your ideas are good, but they require people to step forward and implement them. We have to have more content before we can worry about some of the more nuanced stylistic matters. At first, when content is low, it can be helpful to simply link out instead of duplicating information, since it takes time to make that duplication and format it correctly. The time may seem trivial for a single instance, but the people who have had time to work on this are trying to get as much pax specific info as possible into the wiki since we're still very sparse, and taking time out to copy-paste and re-format things from other sources just hits the back burner.

To start with, we've been trying to get info off of this forum and into the wiki (and reference it from here). We still have a very long way to go with that, and with the general things around PAX (panels, handheld, tabletop, theaters, etc). The community events have gotten the most attention since they're already the most organized pieces of information. It's interesting really to sit back and look at how VASTLY LITTLE information there is out there about PAX that's not just in the minds of attendees. The official pax site barely talks about any of the different departments at pax, and all that info is usually left to the FAQ and various other little threads that pop up here and there. It's all in our heads, we just need to get it out there and into some well formatted wiki pages ;)

TL;DR: I agree with you, but we're not there yet. Please help us get there!

If you want to work on the wiki, the sign-up link is on the front page of the wiki :)

• SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Registered User regular
    @zerzhul Sorry for the late response, but I've just signed up for a wiki author account. I will do my best to propose improvements to structure prior to PAX East 2013 and will do my best to update as much information there as possible.

Currently playing Fire Emblem, Paper Mario Sticker Star and Pokemon White.
  • Tar3820Tar3820 Registered User regular
    ZOMG a WIKI!! I will edit the S*#% outta that! Lol..

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
This discussion has been closed.