As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League 2012: Rivals!

• GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    How did people enjoy the Champion battle twist? Even though I said I could stay for the Champ Showcase I couldn't once again (so disappointing). Curious to see how people liked having to think on the fly with a team they had no experience with.

Also, I'm sure Propriety will be along soon with some official survey for people to fill out about what they liked/disliked.

PS: Upload the pictures faster Heleor, dammit.

PSS: A special thanks to the challengers out there who told me they wanted me to have a team similar to the one I ran last year. Made me feel all mushy on the inside to see people wanting to get Dynamic Punched in the face again by Butterbean.

• TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    I wanna attempt to be a gym leader next year and sport my wooper hoodie again as poke Wooperfanatic woopwoop xD since apparently I have now adopted that now.

That wooper hoodie was awesome

:D Thanks, I was really surprised how much people liked it <3
    It's become one of my favorite piece of clothing

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    Can you link whoever you commissioned to make it?
    I could use a croagunk hoodie

edited April 2012
    D: But then I won't be special anymore!

(Yeah sure: LinkyLink)

no one better get a wooper hoodie though </3 that's my signature hoodie, I paid good money to get this hoodie to make me special lol

TheAsianKnight on
    Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • QuilliamQuilliam Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This was...what an experience. PPL was the most fun I've ever had, ever, and with East 2012 being my first con, this has left an indelible experience that I'm going to remember for a very long time.

I suppose a slight introduction is in order here, I was the Steven Stone cosplay with the beast of an Aerodactyl (you know you love him Heleor ) and the awesome Broseidon on my team. I had an amazing time getting to know many of the gym leaders and E4, and provided school doesn't get in the way next year I would be honored to join their ranks. Thanks to Heleor and Propriety, and whoever else gets the cred for putting this all together and taking your time and money to make an experience that everyone can enjoy.

Heleor, Desmond/StandstormS I'll post my FC on the PPL forums and we can have a real battle. No aerodactyls, i promise.

Oceanus, if you want that piplup nicknamed correctly...see above.

but I was stuck in tabletop all of Sunday so I failed to get a third battle.

IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN! I so would have dragged a leader down there or something D:

Wooper's gonna woop :D

~Steven Stone, Hoenn Champion R/S

EDIT: Final Badge count 15 leaders, 1 Rival (although i had like, 2 informal rivals on the side) and 2 E4. Not t0o shabby!

Quilliam on
    Quilliam wrote: »

I suppose a slight introduction is in order here, I was the Steven Stone cosplay

Dude, Dude, ok your my favorite person,

because 1, your forum name, is the same name I named my Quilava, and two, because your just an awesome person, and I remember you since we hung out a lot... and you know... your forum name is what I name my johto starter...

that's enough criteria to love you right?

WOOP WOOP!
  • VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Definitely dug the costume, Quilliam / Steven. PAX East 2010 was my first ever con and PAX as a whole is one of the best experiences ever. A good place to start. :D

I got all excited for a battle when I overheard you mention my text box sign when I was bopping around the handheld lounge. But you broke my heart and for that, I am sad.

Volaro on
    also if she's gonna be checking out the forums, I found this gif and it reminded me of a certain young shuckle fanatic

tumblr_m0557pd6Ny1qj7ct2o1_500.gif

WOOP WOOP!
    edited April 2012
    Volaro wrote: »
    Definitely dug the costume, Quilliam / Steven. PAX East 2010 was my first ever con and PAX as a whole is one of the best experiences ever. A good place to start. :D

I got all excited for a battle when I overheard you mention my text box sign when I was bopping around the handheld lounge. But you broke my heart and for that, I am sad.

volaro sorry to break your heart! i meant to get around to battling you later, but I got caught up in getting badges and you sort of slipped my mind :(

if you want to wifi, give me a week. I gave away one of my key pokemon and i have to re-breed it since i no longer have the excuse of time constraints to justify pokegen

also Woop (calling you that regardless of anything, sans your real name) do they do custom hoodies? I'd love an Aggron or Quilava one

Quilliam on
  • LuptoniumLuptonium Registered User regular
    This was my wifes favorite part of the show. Maybe next year I will make a (annoying, groan worthy) "team"

• LosarLosar Thane Vector, Rock Star Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Congratulations to all of the challengers who were knighted this weekend. Do good things with your newfound rights to lands and titles.

I don't remember everyone, but I'll certainly try:
    Ser Nolan - first challenger knighted
    Ser Butcher - what a terrifying name
    Lady Jello - at least, I think that's how you spell it
    Ser Tom K
    Ser Tommy
    Ser Andrew
    Lady Emily
    Ser Brian
    Ser Javier
    Ser Dan
    Ser John
    Ser Oscar
    Ser Scott
    Lady Chelsi
    Ser Steven
    Ser Kirk
    Ser Dustin
    Ser Ryan
    Ser Derek
    Ser Devon
    Ser Ethan
    Ser Paul
    Ser James
    Ser Jake
    Ser Colin
    Ser Dominic
    Ser Volaro

Please show due respect to these valiant, new Knights of the PAX Pokemon League. If you were knighted and do not see your name listed, by all means let me know and I'll add you to the roster with my apologies.

Losar on
    Isn't that informative!? Hooray!!
    Losar wrote:
    Ser Nolan - first challenger knighted
    Ser Butcher - what a terrifying name
    Lady Jello - at least, I think that's how you spell it
    Ser Tom K
    Ser Tommy
    Ser Andrew
    Lady Emily
    Ser Brian
    Ser Javier
    Ser Dan
    Ser John
    Ser Oscar
    Ser Scott
    Lady Chelsi
    Ser Steven
    Ser Kirk
    Ser Dustin
    Ser Ryan
    Ser Derek
    Ser Devon
    Ser Ethan
    Ser Paul
    Ser James
    Ser Jake
    Ser Colin
    Ser Dominic

Please show due respect to these valiant, new Knights of the PAX Pokemon League. If you were knighted and do not see your name listed, by all means let me know and I'll add you to the roster with my apologies.

I know you knighted me :D was one of the more unexpected things, for sure. Was the guy in the powder blue suit and the rose if I caught you Saturday.

And sure, Quill, just send me a PM when you're good and ready. Same for you, Wooper / Asianknight. I'd like having some friends to ocassionally battle in the off season.

• GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    Quilliam wrote: »
    This was...what an experience. PPL was the most fun I've ever had, ever, and with East 2012 being my first con, this has left an indelible experience that I'm going to remember for a very long time.

I suppose a slight introduction is in order here, I was the Steven Stone cosplay with the beast of an Aerodactyl (you know you love him Heleor ) and the awesome Broseidon on my team. I had an amazing time getting to know many of the gym leaders and E4, and provided school doesn't get in the way next year I would be honored to join their ranks. Thanks to Heleor and Propriety, and whoever else gets the cred for putting this all together and taking your time and money to make an experience that everyone can enjoy.

Heleor, Desmond/StandstormS I'll post my FC on the PPL forums and we can have a real battle. No aerodactyls, i promise.

~Steven Stone, Hoenn Champion R/S

B-b-b-b-b-bullet punch!

And you're totally lame for not being up at 8am for our pre-coffeeIcan'tthinkstarightbattle.

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    I absolutely cannot overstate how floored I was by the participation this year. Thank you, everyone, for the fantastic weekend. I hope everyone had lots of fun and will challenge the league again next year!

There will surely be pictures going up soon on the site, as well as a survey where you can tell us what you liked/didn't like/any ideas for next PAX. And, of course, if you want to be a gym leader at PAX East, keep an eye out around September/October time, when we'll put out the call.
    DanUNG wrote: »
    3 PM, Propriety. Prepare yourself.

Edit: Nevermind. AT SOME TIME SUNDAY PROPRIETY.

Oh nooooo I was clearly too frightened of my imminent defeat. Sorry this never happened. We'll have to swap friend codes and battle anyway. :B And then my badge will appear mysteriously by your bedside one morning. :O

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    As a bystander, I would like to praise Hamato (I looked up his name, he was the safari guy). I was sitting in the que room for the 3DS panel and you were so great with the young gentleman who approached you. You may have made that kid's day even better.

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey guys, I just want to say I dug seeing you guys around. I had a team ready to go, but, believe it or not, I was actually too shy to approach you guys for a challenge. I'm older than a lot of you (35) and you were having so much fun with each other that I felt like I would be horning in on your fun by demanding a challenge.

My wife teased me to no end. "You're 35 and too shy to play pokemon with those people?" I just stayed on a nearby Sumo and lived vicariously through you.

I'll try to work up the nerve to challenge you if I come back next year.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    Thank you all for making this a great PAX Pokemon League! As Propriety mentioned, we will have the feedback surveys up really soon, so you can tell us exactly what you think went well or needs improvement. :)

A list of all the champions will be going up on the website soon, but all the photos I have have been posted on the facebook group!

Facebook album here.

Gameshark wrote: »

B-b-b-b-b-bullet punch!

And you're totally lame for not being up at 8am for our pre-coffeeIcan'tthinkstarightbattle.

next year man, next year.

although i heard you live in Toronto? be careful what you say, i might just end up on your doorstep for that badge!

• BiteraBitera Registered User new member
    Just wanted to check in here and tell you guys I had a wonderful time. It was my first ever PAX, and, being unprepared for how big the crowds would be, the PPL provided a great place to get away and just hang out. I'm really interested in trying out to be a gym leader next year, though. That way I can put together a fun team and not worry about waiting in line to battle people. Even if I don't get accepted, though, definitely going to get to work on the team I'd use, and just use them as a challenger.

-Ein Bitera
    Hey guys, I just want to say I dug seeing you guys around. I had a team ready to go, but, believe it or not, I was actually too shy to approach you guys for a challenge. I'm older than a lot of you (35) and you were having so much fun with each other that I felt like I would be horning in on your fun by demanding a challenge.

My wife teased me to no end. "You're 35 and too shy to play pokemon with those people?" I just stayed on a nearby Sumo and lived vicariously through you.

Aw shucks! You're never too old for a Pokemon battle!

And we had at least one leader who is in his thirties, and I'm sure several of our challengers were too! Next time, you should definitely challenge us. No need to be shy about it, all the leaders are very friendly. :)

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • LuptoniumLuptonium Registered User regular
    My wife still shows everyone her badges. (She was the girl who wore Cat ears the last day who was with me, the guy in the green/brown lab/trench coat.) She loved playing with all of you and even learned a few things.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote: »

Aw shucks! You're never too old for a Pokemon battle!

And we had at least one leader who is in his thirties, and I'm sure several of our challengers were too! Next time, you should definitely challenge us. No need to be shy about it, all the leaders are very friendly. :)

Hehe, thanks. Maybe I'll apply to be a gym leader next year so I won't feel like such a creeper. Accepting challenges is somehow less daunting then demanding one, for some reason. Plus, I'm good with kids and love giving feedback.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We made a case for my son's badges out of some cloth and a DS game case with the PPL logo on either side. I believe it will be Show n Tell on Friday for him. I'll have to take a pic of it and post it - I'm rather proud of my hot glue gun skills.

I've posted a challenger survey! Take it, tell us what you liked/didn't like about the league! Everyone take it or I'll cry! :(

http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/04/challenger-survey-give-us-your-feedback-help-us-improve/

Seriously, though. This feedback helps us immensely. So please take it if you can! <3

• BabywipezBabywipez Registered User new member
    Thanks for the awesome experience, it made Pax all the more enjoyable / memorable!

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    For everyone who's interested, the champions have all been posted on our website!

http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/04/congratulations-champions/

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    How did people enjoy the Champion battle twist?

I liked the Champion battle a lot, because it's fun to break the game down into battle strategy vs. team selection strategy. Apparently I have some of the latter (well, unclear, since I still haven't battled outside of PPL) but not enough of the former. Hmph. Are you sure the Plusle and Minun were actually the same speed? (Having the 50-50 odds work against me twice...well, okay, I guess 25% chance is still pretty reasonable).
    Anyway, it was a very cool idea; very fun!

So, if I wanted to apply to be a gym leader for next year, how would I do that? A brilliant leader idea came to me as I was on my sixth hour of the Settlers of Catan tournament...

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
    Hm, I can see a Stone, Sheep, and Lumber pokemon, maybe even a Brick pokemon...

What do you do for Wheat, though? And what would be number 6? Hm....

Perhaps Honchkrow for the robber?

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hello everyone! Leaf here! I wanted to thank you all for making this East's PPL, again, amazing to be a part of. Consisering I don't have anyone around my age to play Pokemon against in person, I look forward to meeting you all the whole year!

Thank you all for wishing me better. I think I'm finally past this cold. I hope I didn't give anyone IRL Pokerus by mistake.

I'm happy with how my team did considering the options I had. I can't tell you how much I loved the expressions people had when my Zoroark was revealed. But argh, those Vaporeons!!!

I'll see you all next year. I'm already looking forward to it!

cocowoushi on
    edited April 2012
    Oops double post! ><

cocowoushi on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    How did people do that didn't EV/IV train? That is the only way I would probably play next year, if I do.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • FatherVenomFatherVenom Registered User regular
    "Propriety wrote: »
    And we had at least one leader who is in his thirties

Aw I thought I was the oldest.
    Hey, how about that Bug King. He was cool huh?

No way. He was mean & tough & he dare those weak little bugs hit so hard!

Hey, how about that Bug King. He was cool huh?

No way. He was mean & tough & he dare those weak little bugs hit so hard!

how dare he work those weak little bugs so hard? :P

Coco, your Zororororoak definitely caught me off-guard :p And you had a rapid spin Blastoise too, didnt you? And that Nidoqueen... Bah! I only lost to you this year! I expect to resolve that next PAX!

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    This fancy new system will be translating over to PAX Prime as well, right? Well, with a few modifications based on user feedback I'd presume.

Reading about you guys prepping for it got me all excited to try it out, then I remembered I wouldn't be doing East since I'm super-West Coast.

redfield85 wrote: »
    How did people do that didn't EV/IV train? That is the only way I would probably play next year, if I do.

Fairly well, depending on the leader. My team was built with no regard for IV/EVs, and in the end I couldn't tell the challengers who bothered with them from the ones that didn't. Wins and loses seemed to have everything to do with strategy and tactics, which made most every battle very fun.

Scunosi wrote: »
    This fancy new system will be translating over to PAX Prime as well, right? Well, with a few modifications based on user feedback I'd presume.

Reading about you guys prepping for it got me all excited to try it out, then I remembered I wouldn't be doing East since I'm super-West Coast.

I was the one who coordinated most of the Rival card stuff at East; I'm not going to be helping out with Prime (primarily because I'm not going), so I don't know. :( There will hopefully be something in a similar spirit.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Two things: First I'm a sucker. Despite already beating the main storyline and getting rid of the game once I just re-bought White in preparation of White 2 in the fall and the league next year. I figured why let my kid have all the fun...

Second - my son brought his makeshift badge case and his four badges to school for share time (aka Show n Tell) last week. He was basically king shit on turd island for the day. All his friends were super impressed and thought that him actually beating gym leaders was the most awesome thing ever. Thanks again to the leaders he battled - off hand it was a ghost gym, cave gym, flying/air, water...we had to bolt before he could battle the bug king sadly.

Volaro wrote: »
    Coco, your Zororororoak definitely caught me off-guard :p And you had a rapid spin Blastoise too, didnt you? And that Nidoqueen... Bah! I only lost to you this year! I expect to resolve that next PAX!

Hehe! If you want a rematch on Wifi we could do that, but my levels vary between 63-52.