As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I still have the following games available from the 1C pack (from GamersGate,) if anyone is interested. PM me.
    7.62 - High Calibre
    Adrenalin
    A Farewell to Dragons
    A.I.M.
    A.I.M. 2
    A.I.M. Racing
    A-Race Extreme Show
    Ascension to the Throne
    Brigade E5 - New Jagged Union
    Classic Car Racing
    Cuban Missile Crisis
    Cuban Missile Crisis Ice Crusade
    Cannon Strike
    Desert Law
    Death Track: Resurrection
    Death to Spies
    Death to Spies Moment of Truth
    Dusk-12
    Faces of War
    Hellforces
    Hard Truck Apocalypse
    Hard Truck Apocalypse Rise of the Clans
    Konung 3: Ties of the Dynasty
    King's Bounty: The Legend (+ for MAC)
    King's Bounty: Armored Princess (+ for MAC)
    Korea: Forgotten Conflict
    King of the Road
    El Matador
    Mortyr 2093-1944
    Necrovision
    Necrovision: Lost Company
    Off-road Drive
    Planet Alcatraz
    Pacific Storm
    Pacific Storm Allies
    RC Cars
    Snajper
    Streets of Moscow
    Stalingrad
    The Stalin Subway
    Swashbucklers Blue vs Grey
    Theatre of War 2: Africa 1943
    Theatre of War 2: Battle for Caen Special Edition
    Theatre of War 2: Centauro
    Theatre of War 3: Korea
    The Stalin Subway: Red Veil
    The Tomorrow War
    UAZ Racing 4X4
    Vivisector: Beast Within
    Whirlwind of Vietnam
    World War I
    You Are Empty

aerynkelly on
    fss_overall.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    it works really well without a mic too, the tools they give you for pointing, counting down & watching what the other guy is doing are pretty great. some of the puzzles are a lot harder too which is good

When my friend and I started the co-op, we accidentally started the DLC hardmode course before doing the beginner stuff. It was.... interesting, to say the least. We got through several levels before we found the beginner stuff, though.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The hard mode Portal 2 co-op stuff is a good way to destroy a friendship. I recommend playing it with someone you don't have to look at the next day.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    If I put Steam on a new computer, is it going to remember my categories? If not, is there a file I can keep to make that so?

steam_sig.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    If I put Steam on a new computer, is it going to remember my categories? If not, is there a file I can keep to make that so?
    I believe copying the \Steam\userdata\ directory is what you need to backup/transfer categories.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    Categories sync themselves these days.

Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
    Oh, that's good to hear.

steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh my, isn't this embarrassing.

I got a Revenge of the Titans key from the Puppygames thing while at work, and when I get home and enter it, I apparently already own it.

Only one thing to do:

signature.png

Note: I make no guarantee that I'm not a victim of the duplicate key bug. If that's the case, I will definitely try to get it corrected, but can't promise anything. It should be fine (hopefully).

About an hour left.

Sir Carcass on
  • HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    Categories sync themselves these days.

They can be a little finicky though. Mine have been stable so far, but they've reset themselves more times than I can remember.

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Is HoMM 6 worth it for someone who is a big fan of the King's Bounty games?

• busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to trying Grimrock. Really enjoying it so far, it captures the Dungeon Master feeling perfectly and gives is its own spin.

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
    The winner of my Revenge of the Titans giveaway was @Gear Girl! Congratulations. Check your PMs.

• Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    Sir Carcass is infinitely classy. Thanks for the game dude.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I want to share this with someone and this seems like a pretty good place for it:
    http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Working at Valve would pretty much be my dream job.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Working at Valve would pretty much be my dream job.

Yeah it would be amazing

steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I want to share this with someone and this seems like a pretty good place for it:

Wow, that took some unexpected turns.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Ha. Read about Stonekeep on Wikipedia.
    Oliphant, who originally designed the game and was lead programmer, left the game as the project passed its fourth year in development. He felt his continued presence was resulting in the constant addition of feature creep and changes (he was a contractor, and had initially only signed up for a nine-month project). After he left, the design became finalized and the product was shipped one year later. Michael Quarles, who was an Interplay employee, stayed as the game's producer and saw it through to the end.

The initial specification for the game included that it could not require a hard drive or a mouse, run on a 80286 CPU, use 640K, and run off floppy disks. At the project's end, the game had been upgraded to requiring a mouse, a hard drive, a 386 CPU, and ran off CD-ROM. As a result, the engine had to be extensively modified throughout the production.

The initial motions of the monsters in the game were captured by using a blue screen outside with the sunlight. This resulted in uneven lighting from take to take, so eventually all that work was scrapped. Later a professional studio with controlled lighting was used.

According to Peter Oliphant, when the project was taken over by Michael Quarles, two questionable decisions were made. The game was always designed to be grid-based, where the player moved from grid to grid (in contrast to today's full freedom of motion 3D environments). Peter Oliphant wanted the movement from center of grid to center of grid, but Michael Quarles changed this to edge of grid to edge of grid. This resulted in the problem that turning within a grid moved the player to the other side of the grid. Much of the long production was a result of correcting this lack of symmetry. The other questionable decision was to not include Peter Oliphant in the production of the motion graphics (Oliphant had extensive Hollywood background before becoming a game developer). One consequence was that the original combat graphics had been captured from the waist up only, as Michael Quarles had reasoned one must be close to a monster to fight it. Peter Oliphant, upon being delivered these graphics and seeing them for the first time, pointed out that the player could back away during a fight, which would result in seeing their legs. The legs therefore had to be drawn in by hand frame-by-frame to fix this, until these graphics were scrapped for a professional green screen treatment used later on.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Peewi wrote: »

That pretty much was the biggest ray of hope I've read personally in some time.

EDIT for the lulz: OMG WE'RE GETTING STEAM GLASSES

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Playing through the new Avernum after having played through Exile so long ago is weird. The original content feels repetitive, while the new content feels tacked on. I basically have an image in my mind of what the game should be like, and it's alternating being matching it and not matching it. It isn't helping that the game, being newer, is much faster-paced than the original, which makes me feel like I'm rushing through everything. I can't soak in the atmosphere, since I already soaked in that atmosphere over a decade ago.

I'm curious as to what someone who's new to the series thinks of it.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So I thought I was done with The Darkness 2 but turns out the campaign isn't the only thing with a story. There's a mode called 'Vendetta', which is playable with three others in Co-op or solo, that has you choose one of four characters and run through a mini campaign, complete with full cutscenes. The dialog is different for each character adding a lot of replayability.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    So I thought I was done with The Darkness 2 but turns out the campaign isn't the only thing with a story. There's a mode called 'Vendetta', which is playable with three others in Co-op or solo, that has you choose one of four characters and run through a mini campaign, complete with full cutscenes. The dialog is different for each character adding a lot of replayability.
    Yeah. I've been looking for some people to play through the vendettas with. Need to decide which character I really want to play as though.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular

Any idea on the length for that mode?

I'm dangerously close to picking this up.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »

noooo stay strong

camo_sig.png
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    Igpx407 wrote: »

I'd say yes, absolutely.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »

noooo stay strong

I don't think I can!! D:

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Igpx407 wrote: »

No, for a simple reason; there's better entries in the series.

Buy HoMM III (the best), HoMM II (very old, but still great), or HoMM V: ToTE (recent, draws heavily on III, also a very enjoyable game).

Heroes VI shakes up nearly everything distinctive about the series, often for the worse, and has much less content than the other games (only 5 factions!). You can get HoMM III Complete off of GOG for $9.99 and get something to the tune of 9 fully fleshed-out factions, ~21 campaigns, hundreds of single-player and "melee" maps that often have their own stories, and that's to say nothing of the hundreds and thousands of great community-created maps out there. Plus, the old setting of Erathia, Enroth and Antagarich is much more interesting than the HV-VI world.

If you loved King's Bounty, you'll love HoMM II, III, or TotE.

The_Tuninator on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I would like to say thank you (I think) to @mts, who has gifted me Cargo, the Quest for Gravity (or something). I can't wait to be totally confused and say "What the fuck?" all the time! Thanks a lot! One classy naked manbaby for you:
    ATqx9.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Oh Cargo, Oh... that was something.

Which reminds me that I should finish The Void one of these days...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    Those naked baby things are creepy as fuck.

steam_sig.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    thats what you get for wishlisting it

camo_sig.png
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Sweet, I'm going to apply for a job at Valve, just for shits and giggles. I'm interested in the business stuff although I have no experience in the industry. I wonder if I'll get a call.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That was a cool article. This part kind of blew my mind.

"Gabe tells it this way. When he was at Microsoft in the early 90’s, he commissioned a survey of what was actually installed on users’ PCs. The second most widely installed software was Windows.

Number one was Id’s Doom."

It made me think that even though it's not the 90s anymore I'm still a bad person for not having Doom installed right now.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Wanted to give Handgimp this as thanks for winning his contest, but I should have guessed that he would already have it. Time to pay it forward then :)

So without further ado,

signature.png

PA G&T. This is the developer version, so you should get a standalone download out of it as well.

steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    That was a cool article. This part kind of blew my mind.

"Gabe tells it this way. When he was at Microsoft in the early 90’s, he commissioned a survey of what was actually installed on users’ PCs. The second most widely installed software was Windows.

Number one was Id’s Doom."

It made me think that even though it's not the 90s anymore I'm still a bad person for not having Doom installed right now.

Trust in your feelings.

Also, while Snow Crash is a good book and all there is a whole series of novels by this guy some of you may have heard about. The novels are about a humanist utopia in the far-flung future by this guy named Iain Banks. The novels are collected loosely under the banner of The Culture. Valve functions pretty much exactly the way human endeavor functions in this far out, utopian society.

I...

I serve the Newell!

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Wanted to give Handgimp this as thanks for winning his contest, but I should have guessed that he would already have it. Time to pay it forward then :)

So without further ado,

signature.png

PA G&T. This is the developer version, so you should get a standalone download out of it as well.

Oh boy... time to enter the endless dungeon/sewer/cave with a party of four adventurers again! =D

Valve has always sounded like the perfect place for me to work, aside from the fact that I like what they make, just the work environment... I've been stuck with strict, rigid, even downright abusive work environments for the past decade. Now I'm recently unemployed and when I look through Craigslist, nothing I see even interests me. But Valve, I'd love to work there, even if it was just customer support.

But whenever I look at their job postings, I'm not qualified for ANY of them. Sadface.

steam_sig.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I figure that at some point, everyone else on Steamgifts will have gotten a copy of The Ship and I can finally win one. I just have to keep signing up for them.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    So can I get in on the adventure team? I got some extra stuff I can give away once inside the classy club doors.

steam_sig.png
  • The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    Valve has always sounded like the perfect place for me to work, aside from the fact that I like what they make, just the work environment... I've been stuck with strict, rigid, even downright abusive work environments for the past decade. Now I'm recently unemployed and when I look through Craigslist, nothing I see even interests me. But Valve, I'd love to work there, even if it was just customer support.

But whenever I look at their job postings, I'm not qualified for ANY of them. Sadface.

Working at Valve sounds like paradise. No management at all? It's nuts, in the best possible way. I find their alternate take on creativity absolutely fascinating.

That definitely explains why we've been waiting on HL3 for so long as well; everybody got burnt out and wanted to do something else.

This discussion has been closed.