As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadowrun | This Thread's got Black Ice, Chummer. Find the New One.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    The guys from Cliffhanger posted on the Facebook page for SRO:
    As Shadowrun Returns reaches a million on kickstarter expect some interesting news soon...

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    New Update! In this update you donate more money to get THIS:

shadowrun_returns_usb_dogtag.jpg

Also these:

A DELUXE BOX EDITION including the game disc, soundtrack disc, a mini-poster, and—check this—a Shadowrun Returns USB Dog Tag set, containing DRM-free versions of the game (PC/Mac/Linux) and soundtrack (and maybe one or two other surprises, too).

In addition to the $100 materials which include T-Shirt, Hardcover Anthology Book +PDF, Gold Doc Wagon Card + In-game Doc Wagon, Your Name in Credits of Book and Game, Special Ability In-game, DRM-free Copy of Game, Exclusive Wallpaper for Compy

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Neuromancer was a great book, and is required reading for any true cyberpunk fan.

Also Snow Crash.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Neuromancer was a great book, and is required reading for any true cyberpunk fan.

The game was also fantastic.

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So apparently he regained the rights to MechWarrior, too! I wonder if we might see another BattleTech RPG?

Not quite sure what you mean. There are two MechWarrior games currently in development, and the Battletech PnP game never went away. It's published and developed by Catalyst Game Labs now.
    He probably means something like the Crescent Hawk's Inception (possibly Mech Commander). Most Battletech games focus on simulation elements and piloting a single 'Mech, rather than an ongoing story and campaign, with tactical control of units and raising stats on the individual pilots.

Yeah, Crescent Hawk's Inception is the game I was thinking of. The bit where you're betrayed by one of your party members blew my tiny, nine-year-old mind. Then on my second playthrough I found that the identity of the traitor is determined semi-randomly each time you play. MIND BLOWN AGAIN.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Want those tags so badly. But $125... :(

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    So Shadowrun novels: which ones will not cause me to jab my eyes out with a screwdriver, but instead will make me want to jab my eyes out with a screwdriver and then replace them with better ones?
    Neuromancer (bear with me on this)
    While it isn't a book made for Shadowrun, the entirety of the book is what Shadowrun is based off of. It's where we get Street Samurai, Deckers, and vast swathes of the terminology and technology in the game. You could easily read the book as both something external to Shadowrun and something that's about Shadowrun.

I've read them multiple times. That said I'm not opposed to people recommending cyberpunk instead of Shadowrun books.
    Glal wrote: »

I'm thinking the same thing. Counter argument: it's $125 that --let me continue to beat my dead horse-- kicks MS in the crotch for doing nothing with FASA after buying them.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Man, I'm pretty excited for this. I really enjoy the source material, but never got around to doing any sort of a campaign. This should scratch that itch, finally.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    If you guys want some Cyberpunk with the Arabic world as the powerhouse, you should check out When Gravity Fails and its two sequels, A Fire in the Sun and The Exile Kiss.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    BT RPG:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/MechWarrior,_First_Edition

Not sure there was ever a video game based on it though, maybe he is hoping they do one.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm thinking the same thing. Counter argument: it's $125 that --let me continue to beat my dead horse-- kicks MS in the crotch for doing nothing with FASA after buying them.
    Unfortunately my wallet would feel the kick more than MS. :(

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    BT RPG:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/MechWarrior,_First_Edition

Not sure there was ever a video game based on it though, maybe he is hoping they do one.

Yeah, we're aware of that, but there was never a video game based on it.

It would be pretty hard to sell a BattleTech video game where 'mech combat is de-emphasized or entirely absent, I think.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, those USB dogtags are damned tempting, especially if they're stainless steel or something like that. The idea of having a Shadowrun-specific USB drive which you can plug in to almost anything to play Shadowrun just seems so...right. Dunno if I can afford 125 bucks, though; 60 was already pushing it.

The update is definitely having a significant impact on the funding, no doubt about that. Funding has spiked up an extra 50% and counting today over the average per-day funding of the last several days; the money will probably hit a million by some point tomorrow.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    3rd city at 1.5 million?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So in the absence of anything else on the current market vaguely resembling a Shadowrun game, I remembered that I have owned E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy since the Christmas Steam sale and started it up for the first time.

Many people have said it is impossible to tell what in the blue hell is going on in this game.

I am here to tell you those people are 100% correct.

That is all.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I have a good condition boxed set for DMZ, probably collecting dust at my parent's place. Probably one of the stranger Shadowrun spinoffs, as it was an entirely different rules set for playing Shadowrun as a tactical board game (like Battletech). The take-home message from it was "Trolls count as cover. Trust us on this one."

Late as hell, but I hate and love you so much on this one.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ... God Damn I would deal with a dragon to get those dogtags. $125 is just too much to drop at once.

Edit: Oh, who am I kidding. I'll just spread it across 2 paychecks.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So in the absence of anything else on the current market vaguely resembling a Shadowrun game, I remembered that I have owned E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy since the Christmas Steam sale and started it up for the first time.

Many people have said it is impossible to tell what in the blue hell is going on in this game.

I am here to tell you those people are 100% correct.

That is all.

E.Y.E. is retarded and insane and buggy and totally amazing and so much fun.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    So Shadowrun novels: which ones will not cause me to jab my eyes out with a screwdriver, but instead will make me want to jab my eyes out with a screwdriver and then replace them with better ones?
    Neuromancer (bear with me on this)
    While it isn't a book made for Shadowrun, the entirety of the book is what Shadowrun is based off of. It's where we get Street Samurai, Deckers, and vast swathes of the terminology and technology in the game. You could easily read the book as both something external to Shadowrun and something that's about Shadowrun.

I heard the author is a douche.

"Tolkien in my Blade Runner? Most unorthodox hutootootoo!"

Well, he basically said it seemed silly that there are elves, magic, and other paranormal happenings in Shadowrun. If you don't want that, go play Cybertech.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    A great many authors are assholes, shouldn't stop you from reading quality fiction.

Glal on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Damn, I've got a bunch of cash in my account but I've been putting it all away towards a new car. I really want to give them more of my money, and it's not a lot compared to the account balance but it's still another $65...

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    It's true that William Gibson doesn't like Shadowrun. I don't think that makes him a douche. I don't think Tolkein would have liked Dungeons and Dragons, either.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    It's true that William Gibson doesn't like Shadowrun. I don't think that makes him a douche. I don't think Tolkein would have liked Dungeons and Dragons, either.

Shakespeare? That fucker punched a baby.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere that any major dragon in Shadowrun is supposed to be so beefed up that no amount of min-maxing will ever allow a player to overpower them. I like that sort of thing; Shadowrun isn't supposed to be about making ultra-powerful godlike characters, it's supposed to be about building characters that can survive the runs they undertake and potentially become someone pretty legendary.
    The old litmus test for a bad Shadowrun GM: if he/she lets you kill a Great Dragon of any kind. That's when I stop listening to you babble about your Shadowrun campaign (not you, Ninja Snarl P, just people in general). :D Unfortunately, Great Dragons DO have stats (the munchkin rule: if it has stats, you can kill it), and under every rules edition, there is sufficient firepower to kill one if you have enough money and resources (especially if you abuse the explosives rules).

I imagine any dragon is going to have a network of informants who will let it know WAY in advance if anyone is planning on trying to kill it. Then it'll squash the runners like bugs. It's not a matter of just a 1-on-1 slugfest.
    *snip*

Tell that to Big D...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tell that to Big D...
    According to canon, he sacrificed himself, and made it look like an assassination*. The other supposedly dead Great dragon is Alamais, who is hit by an orbital laser in Night's Pawn, but somehow faked his death.

* (... mostly to fuel the creation of a powerful magical artifact called the Dragonheart. Then he reincarnated into a free spirit named Lethe, but I digress... only a handful of folks in the game world would actually know this information, just like only a handful of people in the game world would know that Tempo is a conduit for an evil free spirit and not just a popular street drug. And yes, this is retarded, but the only relevant part you really need to know about is his Will, which is plothook central and fairly cool overall)

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    you just blew my mind, hahnsoo.

I knew about the tempo but not that about big D

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Man, D's Will was like a year's worth of hooks for my group when I was a teen. You could use it for damn near anything.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

I think Tolkein would like D&D, actually. I've got some of his personal writings on the concept of fantasy storytelling, or, as he would call it, 'Faery Tales.' He had a big personal extended metaphor for ALL storytelling referred to as The Great Tree. But, neither here nor there I guess.

I think Gibson has a more critical bent of intellect that doesn't want his stuff to get caught up in the trappings of adventure and fantasy. More or less, he doesn't want to run the risk of his work being misrepresented. Lest we forget his unfortunate cameo in Keanu Reeves' Johnny Mnemonic.

• Options
    Man, the one downside of them raising enough money to keep adding stuff is that it's probably going to make the actual development of the game take longer. I would be OK with the game only having one city and additional ones coming out as DLC if I got to play sooner.

• Options
    you just blew my mind, hahnsoo.

I knew about the tempo but not that about big D

Most of the details exist only in novel fiction, not sourcebooks.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I think Tolkein would like D&D, actually. I've got some of his personal writings on the concept of fantasy storytelling, or, as he would call it, 'Faery Tales.' He had a big personal extended metaphor for ALL storytelling referred to as The Great Tree. But, neither here nor there I guess.

I think Gibson has a more critical bent of intellect that doesn't want his stuff to get caught up in the trappings of adventure and fantasy. More or less, he doesn't want to run the risk of his work being misrepresented. Lest we forget his unfortunate cameo in Keanu Reeves' Johnny Mnemonic.

Let's be fair.

He wrote the movie of Johnny Mnemonic. It was taken away from him in editing, directing, and the like, but it wasn't like it was just a cameo. He's probably got a share in the flaws.

Everything I've read of his, though, says he thinks things through. Even when I disagree with him, he's clearly taking a view of the angles. Shadowrun, he just isn't fond of, if memory serves. Doesn't care too much, but he doesn't dig the whole elves thing since it's ignoring viewing the world for "This is cool, right?" Style over substance.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Man, the one downside of them raising enough money to keep adding stuff is that it's probably going to make the actual development of the game take longer. I would be OK with the game only having one city and additional ones coming out as DLC if I got to play sooner.

I'd rather play it later if it means having a better, bigger game.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'll probably kick it up to the $125 level from the $60 level. They hooked me with the boxed version.

• Options
    Tell that to Big D...
    According to canon, he sacrificed himself, and made it look like an assassination*. The other supposedly dead Great dragon is Alamais, who is hit by an orbital laser in Night's Pawn, but somehow faked his death.

* (... mostly to fuel the creation of a powerful magical artifact called the Dragonheart. Then he reincarnated into a free spirit named Lethe, but I digress... only a handful of folks in the game world would actually know this information, just like only a handful of people in the game world would know that Tempo is a conduit for an evil free spirit and not just a popular street drug. And yes, this is retarded, but the only relevant part you really need to know about is his Will, which is plothook central and fairly cool overall)

A smug jerk I used to roleplay with showed me the end of a novel that left open a lot of stuff regarding Dunkelzahn... I don't know if those threads were ever followed up on, as I've avoided the novels like the plague.

... I just gave a vial of tempo to my psychotic pyromaniac mage... :)

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I don't even know what I'd want at 1.5 million.

I don't think that will be the case, at least not in terms of adding a significant amount of time to the dev cycle. Something to remember is that we're basically paying these guys to develop this game, but they develop other stuff too. The more money they get, the more time they get paid for to work on Shadowrun and the faster they can do work. It also means they can hire other people to do certain things instead of doing them in-house, which also saves time. And on top of all that, most dev cycles seem to run about the same amount of time no matter what the budget is; Halo 3 had a huge budget and took a couple of years, but Prototype 2 has a much smaller budget and still took a couple of years.

Personally, I can see the potential here for one of those ageless, immortal games like Xcom or Deus Ex. The right talent is in place, publishers aren't in the way, the people who love and made this stuff are in control, and the fans who want the game are being given choices on what they want added. Even if the extra content adds a couple months to the dev cycle, I can totally live with that if it means I'll pick up the game ten years from now and still enjoy it.

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Alright, as someone who's been searching desperately for more urban fantasy games, I am going to be all over this. Can't wait.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    First, if I remember correctly, the interesting thing about Gibson is that he had basically no knowledge of or experience with computers when he wrote those first cyberpunk books.

Second, does anyone have a picture of a dragon with it's pinky claw touching the corner of it's mouth because we've hit. ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

Good God. I hope this works out well.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    You and a lot of other people, chummer.

• Options
    I have a place that accepts organs, still attached to bodies, no questions asked, if it doesn't work out.