As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Well the PC version is delayed until fucking July so. Whatever. That sucks for me.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Well the PC version is delayed until fucking July so. Whatever. That sucks for me.

Whelp, I was going to get it on Steam, but now I'll just get it on a console. Sorry PC gaming.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Crazy idea: You could just wait and see before assuming everything is garbage because you don't like a business model that may or may not be in place for a game that is not out yet.
    Joystiq wrote:
    All pre-orders will get access to the RADNET edition of Prototype 2, which includes 55 free items delivered during the seven weeks after launch.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/11/prototype-2-offers-pre-order-incentives-dont-worry-it-wont-b/

Oh, I'm actually not assuming that the DLC stuff is garbage quality; sorry if I wasn't clear on that. It could be very good as far as I know; I make no judgement on the game itself because I don't know anything about it.

It's this DLC business I'm considering crap. Release the complete game already instead of holding out on things just to nickel-and-dime people; this preorder bullshit is well past the point where it's stupid.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Man I really can't afford console gaming...

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    9 more sleeps!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Guess I should give it a last go, to try and get those 10-ish orbs I'm missing in Prototype.

Hope the Blackboxes in Prototype 2 isn't tedious bullshit like that.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Man I really can't afford console gaming...

Not at release but stuff hits half price easily within a month or two in the uk. Still more than steam sales but it's a sooner price drop than we usually see there.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    I'm gonna end up double dipping if the game is good. I'll buy it on console and then end up grabbing it on Steam when it drops for PC. I suck.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Whenever I read the thread title I think to myself "hehehe goopy is a funny word".

I'm probably going to spend some time goopying people just because of that title now.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Have there been any videos of game "journalists" playing this game? Most of the videos are official PR videos.

• Options
    I'm gonna end up double dipping if the game is good. I'll buy it on console and then end up grabbing it on Steam when it drops for PC. I suck.

I used to do this years ago but alas, I'm out of work now so PC takes precedence since its usually the cheaper option.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Crazy idea: You could just wait and see before assuming everything is garbage because you don't like a business model that may or may not be in place for a game that is not out yet.
    Joystiq wrote:
    All pre-orders will get access to the RADNET edition of Prototype 2, which includes 55 free items delivered during the seven weeks after launch.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/11/prototype-2-offers-pre-order-incentives-dont-worry-it-wont-b/

Oh, I'm actually not assuming that the DLC stuff is garbage quality; sorry if I wasn't clear on that. It could be very good as far as I know; I make no judgement on the game itself because I don't know anything about it.

It's this DLC business I'm considering crap. Release the complete game already instead of holding out on things just to nickel-and-dime people; this preorder bullshit is well past the point where it's stupid.

Uh from what I can tell this extra DLC is just that, extra content like new skins and weapons. You get it free if you pre-order/buy it new and pay if you get the game used. Honestly while I don't care for activision at all I'm fine with this tactic since Gamestop can go fuck itself and there's now no reason to buy this game used from them unless the price is way lower than their bullshit mark ups generally are.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

I used to do this years ago but alas, I'm out of work now so PC takes precedence since its usually the cheaper option.

I have noooo problem waiting for PC on some games. The inner child in me sometimes can't wait though, and I love these style games to death so I take the punishment for my greed. I can always eat next week.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I have noooo problem waiting for PC on some games. The inner child in me sometimes can't wait though, and I love these style games to death so I take the punishment for my greed. I can always eat next week.

I think the whole pre-order DLC thing is kind of funny because they try to use it as a way to entice people to buy the game and it's pissing people off now. One of the best ways to make sure I won't preorder a game these days is if I know they'll be tossing in a bunch of stuff later on; why would I buy the standard game right away when I can buy it 6-12 months later for half the price and a lot more content?

And I even really, really liked the original. Not gonna preorder for content that isn't worth anything, though; I can easily bide my time until the price drops.

• Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    I havnt been keeping up with prototype since the first one was a clone of the game spiderman: web of shadows. Literally they were the exact same game. So anything to make me take a second look at this series?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Did you actually play Prototype? As in did you beat it and unlock everything?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I did beat prototype. I did not go around doing stuff after I beat the story.

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/Activity/Details?titleId=1096157262 prototype 1
    http://live.xbox.com/en-US/Activity/Details?titleId=1096157205 spiderman : web of shadows

pawa24 on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    pawa24 wrote: »
    I havnt been keeping up with prototype since the first one was a clone of the game spiderman: web of shadows. Literally they were the exact same game. So anything to make me take a second look at this series?

I'm gonna have to call bullshit here. The games only similarities are being set in new york and weird alien hive things.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    They both have extremely similar gameplay. The stories both involved aliens taking over peoples bodies. The only real difference was prototype was a lot more bloody.

Now before you guys start getting all nerdragey up here, I never said they were bad games. In fact my only complaint about them was the fact that they were too similar.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I did beat prototype. I did not go around doing stuff after I beat the story.

Then no I don't think this next one is going to be your cup of tea either.

For the record I was only asking because I couldn't work out how to answer your question.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    except the gameplay in prototype is much more fun than web of shadows
    i mean WoS wasn't bad but it's not even close to how good combat in prototype gets later on

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I am not a completionist when it comes to most games. I beat the story mode and if they dont have a multiplayer they get traded in towards the next release title. I liked prototype for the most part. I just can't believe that I am the only one here who thinks that those 2 games being played within a few months of each other would bear striking resemblances.

Spidey was last played 3/23/09, Prototype 7/31/09.

pawa24 on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I haven't played WoS, so it Spiderman starts getting Carnage powers at some point making the game play just like Prototype, I might have to check it out.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Yes basically. Just with less blood.

• Options
    I remember people bringing it up when the game came out.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I am not a completionist when it comes to most games. I beat the story mode and if they dont have a multiplayer they get traded in towards the next release title. I liked prototype for the most part. I just can't believe that I am the only one here who thinks that those 2 games being played within a few months of each other would bear striking resemblances.

Except Prototype was a decent game with a clever story.

Web of Shadows was a unintentionally hilarious poop from a butt.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    b-b-but nemo! it had wolverine
    and luke cage

as far as spiderman games go it fell squarely in the middle. not bad, but then again i beat it in a rental and was glad to be done with it. i still own protoype 1, and hulk UD for that matter

• Options
    Not even Luke Cage could save Web of Shadows.

And that Wolverine boss fight was asinine. Trivia used to determine your alignment is horseshit.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I haven't played WoS, so it Spiderman starts getting Carnage powers at some point making the game play just like Prototype, I might have to check it out.

As I understood it early on you get a symbiote suit and have the ability to switch between it and "classic " spidey combat

Black suit is better at dealing huge damage and you get villain allies while regular spidey play how you expect and you get hero allies

The combat in prototype is parkour mixed with the hulk and the environment is a huge factor. I guess both have tentacles though. Other than that I don't see any similarities.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Except Prototype was a decent game with a clever story.

Web of Shadows was a unintentionally hilarious poop from a butt.

Yeah, Prototype's story had a lot more effort put in than was strictly necessary for a silly premise like this. Alex's character sort of fell apart by the end but maybe that was the point eh? ;D
    If the Prototype2 promo stuff is taken as fact, and Mercer is a malicious sentient virus now, ain't givin' a fuck bout humans anymore, I didn't see that evolution in Prototype. I guess it was around the time his sister and that doctor just up and vanished? Coulda done a better job conveying his loss of humanity.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I loved Web of Shadows. Prototype was a filthy mess. I can't believe people are saying Prototype's combat was better. You just got in a tank and won.

• Options
    Web of Shadows came out afteru Prototype, I thought. Either way, the similarities are few.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Or you could run around, dragging people up buildings, throwing them at helecopters, and tossing tanks into the bay.

There's nothing making you get into a tank.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I loved Web of Shadows. Prototype was a filthy mess. I can't believe people are saying Prototype's combat was better. You just got in a tank and won.

Take the game off Easy mode and play it again.

• Options
    Web of Shadows came out afteru Prototype, I thought. Either way, the similarities are few.

Not true. Spiderman was out Oct 21 2008. Prototype came out June 9 2009.

Also if you noticed the way you traveled about the city was very similar as well. Spiderman jumped off the top of buildings and swung on webs and dude from prototype glided from the tops of buildings.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The Hulk game the Prototype devs developed came out in 2005. It's basically the PG-13 version of Prototype and pretty much everything in Prototype is an evolution from that game. The gameplay has nothing to do with some Spiderman game

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    Neli wrote: »
    The Hulk game the Prototype devs developed came out in 2005. It's basically the PG-13 version of Prototype and pretty much everything in Prototype is an evolution from that game. The gameplay has nothing to do with some Spiderman game

Go play web of shadows and then tell me that.

• Options

DUDE you aren't going to convince ANYBODY! they both are super-hero games, set in new york, with a virus attacking the people.
    the similarities end there. the combat in spiderman is very shallow, most enemies die in a few hits, walking and fighting on walls is DUMB, and overall it's sloppy and visually less pleasing that protoype.

protoype's combat and uprgades put WoS's to shame, it's much more in depth and rewarding to do stuff in prototype, including side missions. combat options are so varied in prototype, by the end you are basically a god of destruction. by the end of spiderman you are... still spiderman.
    as alex mercer you can:
    glide/dash through the air
    kick helicopters/ piledrive tanks
    grab, throw, or eat people
    disguise as ANYBODY
    infiltrate bases while disguised to gain knowledge
    use guns and vehicles
    pickup vehicles and other large objects

they way they move really aren't that similar, in fact again it's more similar to how the hulk moves in UD... large, powerful jumps and the ability to run along walls. combo in alex's parkour system it's already vastly different than web-swinging.

you can point out vague similarities and say THEY ARE DA SAME but it's really not the case if you beat both games, or even spent any amount of time on both.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

So what you're saying is that Web of Shadows rips off Hulk: Ultimate Destruction then if you really want to get down to brass tacks here.
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Take the game off Easy mode and play it again.

Yeah basically. The only thing tanks are for is for fucking elbow dropping them. If you just ran around in a tank the whole time then I feel sorry for you because you're truly a boring and unimaginative individual.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    The only similarities between Web of Shadows and Prototype is that you have a tentacle attack where the tentacle is made out of black goop.

That's it.

If you want to have stupid as fuck debates, please take this discussion to another thread.