As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Reasonable priced dentist for poor person (southeast wisconsin)

override367override367 ALL minionsRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I've needed dental care for about 10 years now I suppose but I never seem to have enough extra cash and it's never been too bad. The intermittent pain when chewing I've had since then is getting worse and now I have mind shattering pain in my gums which I think may be from an infection but I'm not sure. I have about $2000 in the bank right now and all my bills are up to date which for me is about the best position I've ever been in, so I figure I'd be okay

Then I look online at the price of dental care, lots of places around here charge thousands for virtually every procedure! I need to find a reasonably priced dentist in southeast wisconsin or northern illinois that offers financing, because whatever's wrong is probably going to cost like eleven million dollars knowing my luck.

Anyone familiar with dentists around this area know one that's reasonable and willing to work with me? I can pay for care, it's unlikely I'll be able to pay every dime up front though

override367 on

• billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    I can't recommend any specific dentists in your region, but I know virtually every office would be more than willing to work with you on a payment plan.

I hate you and you hate me.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh I thought I needed good credit, because i aint got that

My only previous dental visit experience is with an income base state subsidized dentist in illinois which was pretty great, but I don't think anything like that exists anymore

override367 on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Some days, Im just real good with google :)

http://www.wda.org/media/02/192-2011publiclistingcountieswithclinics.pdf

Good luck!

• HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    How far west and north are you willing to go in Wisconsin? Milwaukee only? Madison?

Hypatia on
    edited April 2012
    Milwaukee is about the limit

Deebaser wrote: »
    Some days, Im just real good with google :)

http://www.wda.org/media/02/192-2011publiclistingcountieswithclinics.pdf

Good luck!

Thanks!

override367 on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Not knowing your long term health-insurance options, I would say the best shot you have at alleviating some of this pain is to have a deep cleaning. Once you go in for an initial visit, they'll recommend all kinds of stuff (like a car mechanic), but just ask them, short term, whats best for the gum pain; it'll be the deep cleaning.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There is a dental school in Milwaukee. They claim their prices are between 1/3-1/2 of the standard. Call them and see if they are taking appointments.

Becomming a patient
    Fees

*Edit* Ok, it looks like they aren't accepting new patient applications until between June 11-15. So if it's an emergency, they won't work.

Siska on
    Well the emergency may actually go away on its own, its less bad than yesterday, I can eat today without needing an anesthetic (I still have no idea where I got this lidocain) so maybe it'll just go away on its own. I was planning on getting something more comprehensive when I found a job that was more than 20 hours a week

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Well the emergency may actually go away on its own, its less bad than yesterday, I can eat today without needing an anesthetic (I still have no idea where I got this lidocain) so maybe it'll just go away on its own. I was planning on getting something more comprehensive when I found a job that was more than 20 hours a week

It's not going away. It's subsiding for a bit and will probably come back worse than ever (as whatever it is slowly fucking your mouth from behind the scenes). This isn't something you should sit on.

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Esh wrote: »

It's not going away. It's subsiding for a bit and will probably come back worse than ever (as whatever it is slowly fucking your mouth from behind the scenes). This isn't something you should sit on.

Yeah, this. You will think "hey, it's no big deal, I can wait now, it doesn't hurt right now" and then a month or whatever later you'll be like "OH GOD OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I JUST TAKE CARE OF IT THEN BEFORE IT CAME BACK I HATE MYSELF". I'm dead serious about this because I've had this happen to me. It WILL come back and it probably WILL get worse. Especially if the pain isn't 100% gone right now. It's great that you're temporarily not dying of misery, but that means it's the perfect time to just go and get this stuff done. According to my last dentist (I'm not entirely sure on this 'cause I wasn't a big fan of him) the reason my last root canal actually hurt during the procedure was that the pain was there at the time. I'd had three root canals previously with no pain whatsoever, but that time it started hurting during the procedure and he injected the anesthetic directly into the tooth which was even WORSE pain than I was feeling in the first place. So you should go right now, when it won't hurt during the procedure. Especially since you probably won't get an appointment right this instant (at least, I've never really been able... took two weeks to see the last guy, but I guess I didn't classify it as an emergency to them?).

Essee on
    Well my ongoing dental issue is from my back teeth, my current pain is actually not from my teeth, its from the roof of my mouth which swelled and had a sore, and I brushed it with a tooth brush for no reason, which was stupid because it cut it up, and it seems to be healing.

It was just so painful I couldn't localize it. I still need to deal with my teeth and I fully intend to make an appointment, but the crippling pain was from that... I'm not sure what caused it, but it could be any number of things (or something serious). I can't afford to make myself homeless with bills over what might be nothing serious though by seeking emergency weekend care though

• SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    AHA, webpage confusions!

The dentist school does have emergency care. A first come first serve, come too late and we may not be able to fit you in kind of deal.
    Doors open at 7:30 am, begin to treat patients at 9 am, mon-fri.

Siska on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Sounds like your wisdom teeth need to come out - I'd have a quick look inside and see if they are black or greying.

The dentist school is a great idea, as they can give you the heads up on what needs to be handled right now.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited April 2012
    I had my wisdom teeth pulled quite some time ago so that seems somewhat unlikely

override367 on